PC Engine ebay Dracula X and SOTN question.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
99pence

PC Engine ebay Dracula X and SOTN question.

Post by 99pence »

It's incredible how cheap PC Engine games (and probably other systems) are now on ebay. Some games you can get for a few £'s that cost £40 - £50 from a shop. Surely people don't use shops still with price differences like that.

Unfortunatly the only game I still want to get for the PCE is Dracula X which still goes for a fortune. Even though no one seems to be bidding on them. It's frustrating that they didn't carry on with the Castlevania Chronicles. Ah well what ya gonna do.

Also I'm gagging to play SOTN but I've only got a jpn PS so I've been putting it off. Is the jpn version playable or is it loads better playing with english text. What do the 2D platformer fans think?

Thanks
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

I'd imagine that the main problem you'll face with playing the JPN version is missing out on the descriptions of all the items that you can equip. Trial and error should see you through that, though.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

99Pence, about Rondo's price, here's a trick: aim for one without spine card ("obi"). The price lowers considerably if the game lacks that, and of course the game experience will be the same.

About SotN... I really couldn't live with just one! I mean, the japanese release has something more (two extra familiars), but the english voice acting is a must. You cannot miss lines like:

-Tribute!? You steal men's souls and lake them your slaves!

-Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.

or

-Still befriending mortals. I am not asking you to return to our side, but I demand you to cease your attack!

-I will not.

-You shall regret those words.

and many many more...

If you go for the japanese, catch the Psone Books edition: it's the cheapest Castlevania ever released.

The US Greatest Hits version however can be found quite cheap too, on ebay.
X - P - B
OmegaFlareX

Re: PC Engine ebay Dracula X and SOTN question.

Post by OmegaFlareX »

99pence wrote:Unfortunatly the only game I still want to get for the PCE is Dracula X which still goes for a fortune.
Be vigilant and have patience. I bought mine around this time last year by searching for it on ebay no less than 3 times a day (morning, afternoon, and late evening). It took a week before I found teh winnar - a complete legit copy for $65 US (that's what, 35 pounds?). The case was cracked and the spine card is in seriously poor condition, but cases are replacable and who gives a shit about spine cards?

There are also places to get a *cough* trial copy *cough* to see if it's really worth plunking down all that cash. Now, don't get me wrong, it's a cool game and will definitely make you more L337 for posessing it, but I'm glad I didn't pay more than I did for it. PM me if you want a link or two.
Also I'm gagging to play SOTN but I've only got a jpn PS so I've been putting it off. Is the jpn version playable or is it loads better playing with english text.
If you can't read Japanese, then the English version is loads better.
99pence

Post by 99pence »

Thanks very much fellas.
whoisKeel

Post by whoisKeel »

I too found one for $65...last week on ebay, no spinecard. Just arrived yesterday. I had been looking for a decent price on this game for about a year now. I'm liking it so far, but it hasn't blown me away yet by any means...only on stage 4 tho.