shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:48 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Reading?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:12 am 

GaijinPunch wrote:
I busted out Kesshou Seidan by Sakyo Komatsu. At 200 pages, and being a collection of short stories where the last is the title of the book, it's not too daunting. I should finish it in the next couple of days, just making the 1 year cut off. I really need to find a new J-author though.

When I was done reading Japan Sinks by him (pretty bad translation here, but I've no regrets), I picked up Silence by Shūsaku Endō, which I've had resting in my home library for about as long as the former. By a strange coincidence, I finished reading it soon before hearing the news about then-upcoming Scorsese's film adaptation. Apparently, between Japanese one and the latest, there was a Portugese* film as well.
Book (better translation this time) does not read like a material easy to adapt for the screen at all. Rather, it's practically begging for NOT doing the source material justice in a film form. Wouldn't make much sense without highlighting all the poverty and atrocities described, crucial to the character development, at a great risk of completely overshadowing the latter. Also, the epistolary form must tempt many a film director (such as Martin Scorsese of the Taxi Driver fame) into further off-screen narration, as if not yet enough harm was already made by this.

*) Reading about Os Olhos da Ásia now, its linking with Chinmoku seems to be quite loose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:23 am 

been reading Keiji Nishitani's Religion and Nothingness (which I really ought to finish but I'm too hyper focused on video games like a big idiot) and probably will hop onto something like Wittgenstein's Philosophical Grammar or somethin' next...or possibly Arthur C. Clarke's Fountains of Paradise.
Tried reading the sequel to Ringworld recently, but it was trash.

https://braintemple.bandcamp.com/
my prog electronic albums 'n stuff

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:12 am 

BrainΦΠΦTemple wrote:
been reading Keiji Nishitani's Religion and Nothingness (which I really ought to finish but I'm too hyper focused on video games like a big idiot) and probably will hop onto something like Wittgenstein's Philosophical Grammar or somethin' next...or possibly Arthur C. Clarke's Fountains of Paradise.
Tried reading the sequel to Ringworld recently, but it was trash.

How's Ringworld (not the sequel)? I've been meaning to read that. Have you read anything Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle worked on together, The Mote in God's Eye, Lucifer's Hammer ?

Finished:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Likely one of the few members who hadn't read this. Thoroughly enjoyed every page. Wish I'd of read it sooner.

A Confederacy of Dunces
- "Don Quixote of the French Quarter". Follows the adventures of the highly intelligent but slothful misanthrope, Ignatius J Reilly, and his attempt at obtaining gainful employment and the array of colorful characters he meets in the process. I've read a few reviews calling A Confederacy of Dunces the literary Curb Your Enthusiasm, and that's accurate but the only distinction I would make is that Igantius hates everyone. I found myself regularly alternating between wanting to hug Ignatius and punch him in the face, often on the same page, particularly during his scribbling in his Big Chief tablets which serve as a platform to launch his volley of diatribes against contemporary society. Reviews are polarized, and I'm in the camp that found it hysterical.

currently reading:

The Illuminatus! Trilogy
- Halfway through book one. A kaleidoscope of esotericism, occultism, sex, drugs, and rock & roll all wrapped up in a succulent conspiracy theory. Incredibly entertaining, but christ the writing is irritatingly confusing at times. Narration regularly bounces between 1st and 3rd person or entirely switches characters, or species. If there was ever a body of fiction deserving of Alan Moores interpretation.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30