Capcom Power System CHANGER-The Definitive On-line Resource:

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
JAPJAC
Banned User

Capcom Power System CHANGER-The Definitive On-line Resource:

Post by JAPJAC »

By JAPJAC.

1994`s Capcom Power System CHANGER is the rarest officially released to the public modern Japanese consumer TV-Game system in the World. Ever.

JAPJAC`s TFP Fanitsu Capcom Power System CHANGER Definitive Resource is the first extensive and only competent expose in English on-line is here!

Includes complete release details for the format, comparisons to the Neo Geo and SuperGun formats, the first You Tube video for the system ever, the first You Tube video showing a game for the system running and the first and only You Tube video of the system running a CPS II game fully.

Also includes, an in depth interview, the most and the highest of quality images ever to be published on-line covering everything for the format, a complete guide to the 'CPS' Silicon Hardware Ranges and finally, details of Damien McFerran and JAPJAC's Capcom Power System CHANGER feature as printed in Retro Gamer magazine. The first and only such feature printed in English, in the World. In shops now!!!:

'JAPJAC is the leading English-speaking expert on the Capcom Power System CHANGER.'
Retro Gamer magazine.

(Under the TFP Features section):

http://www.japjac.proboards.com/

Enjoy.

Cheers,

JAPJAC.
Last edited by JAPJAC on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
http://www.japjac.proboards58.com/
http://www.youtube.com/japjac

1989 UK Japanese Mega Drive Thunder Force II MD Champion.
CIT

Post by CIT »

A nice system, but no RGB, so completely useless for anything other than a collectible.
Ed Oscuro

Re: JAPJAC`s Capcom Power System Changer Vid:

Post by Ed Oscuro »

50 seconds of nothing but the JAPJAC graphic at the beginning is a bit much.

Video also would've benefited from some video capture, scan to video artifact = half the screen isn't visible at times

The actual system needed something besides just beat-em-ups and a quiz game. If it had MERCS or Forgotten Worlds I might've been interested. As it is, though, it should be a somewhat nice suicide-free and compact alternative to the usual system. Expensive though.
JAPJAC
Banned User

Post by JAPJAC »

JAPJAC`s TFP Fanitsu Capcom Power System CHANGER Definitive Resource is the first extensive and only competent expose in English on-line is here!:

Last edited by JAPJAC on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

D

Post by D »

CIT wrote:A nice system, but no RGB, so completely useless for anything other than a collectible.
mod
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

So it's basically a Capcom-produced supergun with arcade PCBs in a plastic shell. How could they have gone wrong? :shock:
jpj

Post by jpj »

needs more national anthem 8)

looks like a cool piece of kit, what are the sticks like?
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
CIT

Post by CIT »

JAPJAC wrote:For those that remember the release stories at the time, it remains a very special piece of kit to us. It had a lot of people excited due to it`s potential.
I remember drooling over the pics and seeing the thing in action in a doc about Otaku culture. Wanted one so bad, back in the day, but alas, too young and no cash. ;)

D wrote:
CIT wrote:A nice system, but no RGB, so completely useless for anything other than a collectible.
mod
Yeah, but why go through the trouble? Just get a real supergun instead.

jpj wrote:looks like a cool piece of kit, what are the sticks like?
They are the SNES SF2 sticks. They're a bit like the Neo Geo oldstyle board in terms of quality.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

man i thought theese were so cool back in the days, definetly a nice collectors piece.

even tried to buy one in a fit of nostalgia a few years back but couldnt find one that was complete enough to waste money on, proboably a good thing too concidering how painfully obsolete they are, i have enough dust collecting paperweights as it is..

still, a very nice piece of capcom/arcade memorabilia.

moding one of these with switches and RGB holes thru the shell etc should be punishable by death, the lo-fi aspect is definetly part of its charm!
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
JAPJAC
Banned User

Post by JAPJAC »

JAPJAC`s TFP Fanitsu Capcom Power System CHANGER Definitive Resource is the first extensive and only competent expose in English on-line is here!:

Last edited by JAPJAC on Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

jpj

Post by jpj »

HES is the hotel hybrid thing?

anyways, i five-starred the vid dude :wink:
your channel needs some vids of you 1-ALL'ing ketsui 8)
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
undamned

Re: JAPJAC`s Capcom Power System Changer Vid:

Post by undamned »

Decent vid.
JAPJAC wrote:A system to which ownership truly measures a Japanese TV-Game collectors worth.
I wouldn't go that far. I thought about collecting all that stuff as I've seen pretty much everything that came out for it on YAJ (much of it boxed w/ all the fixin's) over the years, but I realized once I had it all I'd probably just end up playing my JAMMA versions of those games :?
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

JAPJAC wrote:You had to be there mate.
It's almost a good thing I wasn't. I didn't have any video games until the late 90s, and nothing older than a PlayStation until this decade. I found out about this system fairly quickly (and passed on a chance to buy one). I find it fairly easy to resist hype on certain things.

I agree that the CPS Changer is very interesting, just like the rumored Namco home system would've been, but the unvaried game selection makes it a pass for me. There is a criticism of the CPS-Changer I have heard and would dismiss now: the supposedly "weak" video signal, as s-video isn't going to compete with an arcade machine any time soon.
Sorry you didn`t like my video and you wasted your time watching it when you could of watched the other countless videos on-line of this system.
I love it when you get all passive-aggressive. I didn't say I didn't like it, only that it's not perfect. Is this how you treat all your fans? For shame :D
Ozymandiaz1260

Post by Ozymandiaz1260 »

JAPJAC wrote: Sorry you didn`t like my video and you wasted your time watching it when you could of watched the other countless videos on-line of this system.
Ed Oscuro wrote: I love it when you get all passive-aggressive. I didn't say I didn't like it, only that it's not perfect. Is this how you treat all your fans? For shame :D
For real dude, way to overreact. He didn't say your video was shit or get aggressive or anything, he just gave you some helpful suggestions on how to make it better, suggestions which, by the way, are really good and would really help to make your video truly better. I turned it off after 30 seconds and only went back to watch it because of all the positive posts in this thread.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

wapjac takes every non-slobbering post as a personal insult, don't mind that
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

50 secs one screen intro is way overkill. 5 secs is more than enough.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
CIT

Post by CIT »

I guess he's mega-proud to be English or something. (?)
jpj

Post by jpj »

i think he's just proud of his system, and what piece of music echoes one's pride better than their national anthem :wink:
CIT

Post by CIT »

I dunno man, he had this PS3 launch video a while back that was like 10 seconds of the PS3, and two minutes of zooming in and out of an England flag he had printed out on a sheet of paper. :lol:
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

CIT wrote:I guess he's mega-proud to be English or something. (?)
Damn, people are proud of just about anything these days.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

From the previous thread in 2005 on this , i assume the original purchase time :
You don't want to know how much they wanted for it...
actually, i'd be curious how much this rushed you.

It's an interesting piece of gaming history that's for sure.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

dcharlie wrote:actually, i'd be curious how much this rushed you.
I promise not to laugh ;) I don't recall what the one I passed up was asking for; I'm sure somebody would want an arm and a leg these days though.

I can't fault JAPJAC for his responses in here since you have to remember that his perception of me is somewhat colored by the "enthralling end" topic. Even so, yeah, thanks Ozymandiaz 8)
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

well, it's all relative really. The value of something like this to a hardware collector should be pretty large.

From a functional point of view, it's obviously a bit redundant these days, but it's still an interesting piece of hardware none-the-less.

JJ maybe doesn't want to reveal the price and that's entirely up to him as it's not really any of my business :)

undenied, it's nice find for sure. Thanks to JJ for sharing.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Elixir wrote:
CIT wrote:I guess he's mega-proud to be English or something. (?)
Damn, people are proud of just about anything these days.
Hell, I'm proud I haven't wet myself yet today.

Ok, scratch that one.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

that explains the wet spot on my couch :evil:

bastard
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Wasnt there a port of Street Fighter Alpha for the CPS changer? I had heard it was a tad inferior to the regular version.
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

Wasnt there a port of Street Fighter Alpha for the CPS changer? I had heard it was a tad inferior to the regular version.
yup , downgraded animation/sound i think. Never seen it, only heard about it.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

That's Street Fighter Zero according to Lawrence, see here:

http://www.nfggames.com/games/cpschanger/

It's the only game (apparently) with these omissions, probably because it was meant for the new, more advanced CPS-2 system.

Actually, I hadn't realized until now that the CP Changer shoehorns CPS-1 game ROMs into a CPS-2 "B board" style housing, before the CPS-2 was released. That's ahead of its time.

Also:
Mr-Monday wrote:I watched this without sound so I'm a bit confused. [...]
:shock:
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

aren't Zero and Alpha the same title? maybe i'm going mad.

obviously it's Japan so it would be Zero not alpha anyways :D

Actually, I hadn't realized until now that the CP Changer shoehorns CPS-1 game ROMs into a CPS-2 "B board" style housing, before the CPS-2 was released. That's ahead of its time.
i like the craziness of it all to be quite honest. It is simulatenously one of the best ideas ever but also the worst idea ever (financially).
undamned

Post by undamned »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Actually, I hadn't realized until now that the CP Changer shoehorns CPS-1 game ROMs into a CPS-2 "B board" style housing, before the CPS-2 was released. That's ahead of its time.
Sorry rain on your revelation, but there were a hand-full of CPS-1 JAMMA games that had plastic housings like those of the Changer. Most are that same grey color, but on occasion I've seen blue ones. Off the top of my head:

Punisher
Muscle Bomber
Cadillac and Dinosaurs
Dynasty Wars

I had a dead Muscle Bomber PCB that I swapped my Rockman Power Battle PCB into for added protection :D

EDIT:
I recalled a couple more, last night:
Varth
Capcom Quiz World (1 or 2, don't remember)

-ud
Last edited by undamned on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love