Oh Man, Devil May Cry is Amazing!!!!!!!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
TWITCHDOCTOR

Oh Man, Devil May Cry is Amazing!!!!!!!

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I bought the game about a month ago, I never really played much of it before that. Well, maybe like 3 hours or so when I borrowed it from a friend a few years back. I really didn't care for it. I dismissed it as a cool looking action platformer in 3D...which I usually dislike. Most of the time the 3D control seems awkward.

Anyway, I started getting into it more, but kept getting my ass kicked by the first boss. I gave up many times in RAGE and frusteration!! Sometimes it felt "cheap" due to the camera angles and not being able to see my character, "Dante" all the time.
Oh well, like most other games, it takes skill and pattern memorization, and most of all, familarity with the inner workings.
I can honestly say that the game is simply AMAZING, from start to grand finalle!!! I will also say that it may very well be one of the best games I've ever played...or will play. (and I have played alot!)
Seriously, I was really missing out all these years, as the game was released in 2001.

The last few days I've been playing it for hours...HOURS! (no time for shmupin when yer Devil huntin!) 8) In fact, I just beat it tonight!
My current goal is to play it straight through without dying. All I need is to memorize the last couple levels so I won't make any stupid uneducated mistakes.
I'm thinking it may take 3 hours to play through...give or take. Less than 4 for sure.

This may sound a little strange, but I kind of consider DMC a "modern, fully interactive" Dragons Lair.
vek

Post by vek »

Funnily enough, I've been playing this recently too. Got it ages ago, played it for a bit, died on the first boss, then switched to Capcom vs SNK which I had got at the same time. Played that all day, and never got round to playing DMC since. That was years ago.

For some reason, last weekend, I really wanted to play it again, so I started again from the beginning, I dunno how close to finishing it I am, but I suppose it can't be that far, since I've heard it's not a very long game. It really is great!

I often do this, for some reason, play a game a bit, give up, come back to it months or even years later and really really love it.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

The first game is definitely better than the second. However Capcom are putting the finishing touches on Devil May Cry 3 which looks set to be the "ultimate" DMC game. Features multiple fighting styles (!) and work by Yuji Shimomura, who was the action director on Ryuhei Kitamura's "Versus"
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Vek...
There are 23 "Missions". Some are pretty short, while others can take a while. It all mainly depends on how familiar you are with the given level.
I wouldn't say its "short" by any stretch. PLus, there are "secret missions" to find and complete as well.

Speaking of these types of games, I recenty also beat Castlevania Lament of Innocence. I played through it twice as a matter a fact, I simply fell in love with it.

As one might guess, I haven't been doing much shmuping at all. Before these "gothic action" binges, I was hitting the streets in NFS UnderGround 2. (Still yet to complete that one)
vek

Post by vek »

hmm suppose i'm probably about half way through then. only managed to find one secret mission so far, with millions of little bugs on the floor and you have to kill 100 in a set time, that was fun :)

NFSU 2 looks pretty good, how does it compare to the original? i liked that, but i found that after a while the tracks got pretty repetitive, this one supposedly has more variety in that respect?
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Man, I'd give anything to get the first DMC game back instead of trading that one off for DMC2. Jesus, what was I thinking?

DMC was fun as fuck to play on Dante Must Die mode.

As for DMC3, I'm going to be wary of it since DMC2 pretty much left a bitter film of aftertaste in my mouth.
zer0eight

Post by zer0eight »

Awesome Twitch! Glad to see you finally were able to get in to it. I loved it when it came out 4 years ago. IMO, it is the only game that could be considered a true 3d "Castlevania". It holds all of the action you would get in a 2d game but still managed to put it into a 3d world. A lot of 3d action games get bogged down by endless searching and running around to much. Devil May Cry was an amazing gothic action game. On a side note, you should put Resident Evil 4 on your "to play and own list". It is also one of those legendary games that you just get sucked into the first time you play them... like DMC1 or Grand Theft Auto 3. Something so unique and well put together you are just floored by it ;)

zer0eight
Less than zero, more than infinity.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Devil May Cry is one of the best games on PS2 (probably the best action game on it as well), Devil May Cry 2 is one of the most bland action games I've played on PS2.

Hopefully DMC3 will be a lot better than DMC2.
karasuman

Post by karasuman »

I got up to the last boss in LoI, but was too lazy to actually finish it. Hearing Death without his raspy voice just kind of killed the moment, haha.

There was way too much talking in that game.

You know what would have been sweet, is like when that Rinaldo guy is all talking about how "this is a game he plays", they should have like cut to the Dating Game, with Dracula as the contestant and Simon, Trevor, and Richter as the eligible vampire hunters.

Actually, the game itself wasn't bad. I wish that they would either have more of the SotN / AoS elements, or have it as a straight action game. As it is, it seems like a watered down SotN. The hub-based level structure doesn't help much. But it's hard to dislike the game, I mean, I only paid 9 dollars or whatever. And there is a lot of cool stuff, like the statue designs, and the Royal Chapel level. I just wish it was more interesting from a gameplay standpoint.

And why was the bad guy named Walter? That Joachim guy or whatever his name was in the waterfall level was about 10 times more badass.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

^Karasuman:
Did you get that name from Castlevania? There are a type of creature named that as well.

Here might be the answers to some of your questions about the names.
Its a link to a Gamefaqs thread in which I was involved in the conversation.
You answer can be found in pages 2&3.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmes ... c=18003202

It made sense to me when I read it.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Karasuman was a boss in SOTN, lord of the crows. I think that's what he is in Japanese mythology too, maybe.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I liked DMC's presentation, but did nobody hate the fact that you had to back track a million times and kill respawned enemies time and again.

I hated the bosses, they seemed very hard.. I got to the black knight and got my ass kicked all over the place. I also had a tendency to get thumb cramp pushing the X button a million times.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
karasuman

Post by karasuman »

Yeah, I got the name from SotN. He was the boss of the Clock Tower in the 1st Castle (2nd Castle had the Bat in that location if I believe). Also he shows up in Olrox's Quarters in the 2nd Castle (I forget the name of that area in the 2nd Castle, but it's the same spot on the map).

That's an interesting read on the names, with the Mathias connection. I know it's kind of a trivial point, but I guess it was just that I was expecting Dracula, so the disappointment was just too overwhelming. ^_^

I look forward to a sequel to LoI. The game showed a lot of promise but seemed somewhat rough and unfinished, from a gameplay standpoint. The artwork and music were great, and it really feels like Castlevania in 3d. There are lots of cool areas, like that one cinema in the 1st level where the Flea Men come out. And the Ghostly Theatre level ruled. It's just that the game felt somewhat uninspired. It's like they were holding back, unable to decide whether they wanted to go the old-school NES route or the newer SotN/GBA route. The final game seems somewhat unfocused as a result (at least, that was my impression, I don't know anything about the actual development).

Really, if they took the LoI engine, made it like 9 or so levels interconnected a la SotN, turned it into full blown SotN/AoS mode with weapon and armor pickups, and had some actual platforming instead of flat rooms 90% of the time, it could be pretty sweet. I would still prefer a 2d followup to SotN or AoS on a non-portable system, or a bitchin remake of Castlevania 3 with SotN style artwork, but if they insist on doing another 3d Castlevania, they could make it work.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I really like it the way it was. It is a "slow paced" game, then again, all other Castlevania's are slow paced as well.
There could have been more bosses, at least "sub" bosses, inbetween those long levels. The actual final bosses are cool enough though.

Also, I disliked the backtracking bit, but I lived with it.
I would like to see a 3D (like Lament of Innocence) but straight-foreward arcade action like parts I,III,IV,Rhondo of Blood! :D

I say lose the "RPG" elements, give us powerups again! Also, bring back multiple paths!!!
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I went back and played DMC for a third time now on normal. I was able to complete the game and only died ONCE!(the game gives plenty of extra lives...I never bought any extra's) It was a stupid avoidable death though, but, I still have to count it as such.

The game used to wipe the floor with me, now its really fun to simply enjoy it and beat the crap outa it! However, I believe it will always provide a challenge no matter what. I still have yet to see most of the "skill attacks" that you must purchase. (Reminds me of River City Ransom) Anyway, I never upgraded my skills, I just bought health items and extra "Devil Triggers".

Developing winning patterns against those vicious bosses was true gaming bliss.

If anyone out there is contemplating on getting this game...stop! Go out and get it!!! I truely underestimated it.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Well Twitch, you convinced me. I got my copy on eBay last night! :D
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I loved DMC when I played it years ago when it first came out... then my PS2 broke and I didn't play it again until a few months ago when I played it. Still a great game, but Ninja Gaiden on XBOX is the pinnacle of 3d action. I had almost 100 hours on that game, then it got lost in the shuffle of moving back home and I am sad. I played through it on normal twice, was on chapter 13 on hard and I downloaded both HUrricane Packs, both of which are ridiculously tough.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

"Devil Never Dies"...

Update:
I have finally finished this game on normal (of course) without ever once dying. Yea, there were a couple "hairy-scary" moments, but I prevailed.
It took me 3:32:something? So, basically 3 and 1/2 hours.

Anyone really like the ending? Man, I really like the ending music. Then again, Techno and New Age are among my favorite music styles.
Of course, Metal will always come first!

PS: Since there are some "late bloomers" to DMC like myself...lets try not to provide any spoilers here in this thread, ok?