shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:45 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14019 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463 ... 468  Next
 Post subject: Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:56 am 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
This is a really adorable game and I remember having a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately it still seems that the only English translation patch for it available is a bit janky and only functions with one specific, older emulator (Nesticle). Has there been any fix for this I'm unaware of or is that still the only way to play it in English?

It's a wonderful game and I love it even if is kind of a mess. Easily my favorite thing about it is all the strange and funny random events you run into. Each plot line has a bunch of different possible twists and outcomes and I still don't know if I've seen everything. Sometimes the dragon you hunted down was the wrong dragon, and sometimes it never meant any harm in the first place. Sometimes the thief Donpan steals the treasure while you're fighting the final boss. Sometimes the king you were working for was the real villain all along. Sometimes Princess Sara avoids capture and instead becomes your sidekick. Every once in a while she'll offer to marry a female protagonist. Sometimes your dumbass nuisance fan Lunlun somehow manages to obtain the sword of light. It's always fun to see how it all plays out.

There was an updated version of the patch released in 2007 that seems to have fixed most of the problems. It works in Nestopia, anyway. Interestingly, the same romhacker, AlanMidas, translated both Hyaku no Sekai no Monogatari and Sugoro Quest. You may not be surprised to hear that the Sugoro Quest's patch is also pretty sloppy, though it is still perfectly playable. I appreciate his work even if it is rough, I doubt I'd have ever heard of either game if I hadn't come across those translations at romhacking.net.

vol.2 wrote:
I love that game. It's totally a predecessor to a bunch of cell phone games. One thing I didn't like a whole lot is how randomly unfair or beneficial the dice rolls are.
It always feels like you are either crushing everyone or insta-dying. There needed to be some kind of stat buffer to make it so both you and the enemies would
slowly lose hit points or something.

Rolling badly should probably just reduce your damage or whatever instead of outright skipping your turn.

Do you think it'd be viable to beat the game under pseudo-1CC conditions where you play each map exactly once with one character, and then do it again with a second character, without dying? My opinion of the game would improve a lot if that were viable, but my test runs suggest you'd need tons of luck to make it happen. I did find that there are some cool strategies you can pull off by preparing ahead with items. You can cheese a lot of nasty fights with an inventory full of shuriken and Fighter is almost certainly better than Elf if you plan a route using trick dice and amulets. Seems like the most viable method would be Half Elf for the first loop and Fighter for the second.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:10 pm 

Quote:
There was an updated version of the patch released in 2007 that seems to have fixed most of the problems. It works in Nestopia, anyway.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/85/

Do you mean this one? I saw there was one released in 2007, but the notes still say to use NESticle for best results, but maybe it doesn't apply to the 2007 update. I'd really like to play this with a group of friends actually so this is good news!

Not an RPG, but what's the consensus on that Mega Man themed boardgame for the Famicom? Worth playing? I dabbled in it and it seemed cute and harmless enough.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:21 am 

That's the one. The game only responds to player 1's controller so it doesn't work well with netplay. The option to play a four player game with one controller is nice, but it'd also be nice to be able to use more controllers if you have them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:14 pm 

Noita. It apparently means witch in Finnish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBLoffoZLH8

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:06 pm 

Treated myself to one of the SNK Arcade Pro sticks, so been messing around with some of their FTGs.
To be honest, anything after Super SF2 is generally to complicated for me - Waku Waku 7 is probably my favourite Neo fighter just for its sheer style - but by god they look god.

I had Garou on the DC, but it's been years since I played it and I'd forgotten just how stunning the animation on the game really is. I've not played SFIII in some time, but it can't look much more smooth or detailed than this surely?

The one I really took to though is Last Blade 2 - not just beautiful, but it seems pretty approachable, think I'd like to spend a bit more time with this one.

Big surprise was the unit itself - I'd heard the stick and buttons were middling at best, but I actually far prefer this to the Capcom Home Arcade straight out of the box.

Now for the Hylo hack. I've found the Neo full set, but the one with Final Burn and CPS stuff seems a bit of a swine to track down.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:12 pm 

Last Blade 2 and Garou are both fantastic.

I dropped Secret of Mana due to boredom. Beat Chrono Trigger, started Breath of Fire.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:21 pm 

I've put about 24 hours into Noita in the last six days. Full disclosure this game is still in early access, but feels remarkably complete. It is a perma death/rogue lite. The areas themselves are always connected to the same areas, but the layouts, enemy placement and items you will come across change. The amount of content is kind of staggering, and in true Soul's fashion you aren't given any instruction at all about which way to go, or anything else for that matter. There is a lot to unpack and discover.

You're Witch/Wizard. You start with two OK wands, and a flask of water. With this you head down into the mines and your journey begins.

Now Noita's real hook, at least for me, is that every single pixel is individually simulated. Giant vat of liquid in your way? Blow a hole in it and watch as the pixels flow. Gases/smoke billow up. Some of these are flammable. So it is possible to fill an area with a flammable gas, lite it with a fire spell (if you have one) and watch the chaos ensue as your enemies are burned to a crisp. It is really hard to explain and honestly a short clip would do it more justice then I ever could.

Here is a clip of one of the devs playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0We8a8AFPp8

It is seriously awesome and I feel like a kid playing a PC game back in the 80's.

Fair warning though - When you die, and you will die. Often spectacularly and sometimes unintentionally by your own hand - it's back to the start. But it's so good, fun, creative, and immersive that you won't care.

I mean seriously - you can bathe in your enemies blood.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:25 pm 

Marc wrote:
Treated myself to one of the SNK Arcade Pro sticks, so been messing around with some of their FTGs.
To be honest, anything after Super SF2 is generally to complicated for me - Waku Waku 7 is probably my favourite Neo fighter just for its sheer style - but by god they look god.

I had Garou on the DC, but it's been years since I played it and I'd forgotten just how stunning the animation on the game really is. I've not played SFIII in some time, but it can't look much more smooth or detailed than this surely?

I love how Garou looks, but SF3 is actually a lot smoother. It's really impressive. I also like that Garou is a [relatively] approachable game. Certainly a lot more than 3rd Strike is.
Also, AOF3 is also arguably smoother than Garou, and the sprites are huge... but I think that game is pants, and the animation is a bit stiff despite having a lot of frames. Garou definitely looks better. IIRC, they used some kind of rotoscoping on top of 3D modeled animations thing for AOF3, which is why that game looks so... off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:33 pm 

Always thought AOF3 looked unfortunate, between the rotoscope-esque movement and several fugly and/or dull characters. Pelican guy, whip cougar, roidbeast man... of SNK's marquee fighters, Real Bout 2 and Sam Sho III ran rings around it visually.

Garou's a beaut through and through, the odd choppy BG animation (like Kushnood's) aside. But OFC, in gameplay your attention is 110% on the gorgeous sprites. Freeman's stage, with the violent screen judder and rushing lights as the trains pass overhead (to his almost The Ripper-esque BGM) is a classic.

Been dabbling with Sam Sho 2 myself, lately - not in the same league as Garou for frames, of course, but god damn does it look, sound and handle like a million bucks. Character design, BG design, sound design, the doomy ethos of punishing strikes, blistering rage and mortal consequence ("KOROSHIMASUUU!"), an immortally fiery production.

[THE MIRAGE OF MIND] Metal Black ST [THE MASSACRE] Gun.Smoke ST [TRAGEDY FLAME]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:15 am 

SS2 is brill, yeah.
It's a game that's weirdly hard to get my friends to play though. There was a time when I had friends living near me who'd have probably gone for SS2, but we were mostly playing 5 Special. :lol:

As for AOF 3... yeah, that's spot on. Still, even if they are on the fugly side, the GIANT sprites are very cool.
IRC, the Neo CD release had to zoom the game out a bit so they'd be smaller. :lol:

SNK's presentation was some seriously top notch stuff. One thing that immediately jumps to mind is Terry's animation in Real Bout Special where he jumps into the air and the star on his jacket leaves afterimages. It's the coolest fucking thing :D
I love it, I love it, I love it. Absolutely wonderful. Even their weaker games are full of grade-A style, and their top-list games are truly top list.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:55 pm 

One of my fondest FTG memories from BITD was showing friends who only knew the Dreamcast KOFs (by no means ugly games, but always forced to favour economy over style with such massive rosters) stuff like the Real Bouts and Garou, and their assuming SNK had come out with a CPS2-style upgrade. :mrgreen: (if only)

Although, speaking of style vs economy... I will always love RB2's ridiculously terse match intros. Image

GET IN THE RING *NUCLEAR BLAST*

[THE MIRAGE OF MIND] Metal Black ST [THE MASSACRE] Gun.Smoke ST [TRAGEDY FLAME]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:14 pm 

KOF is so fucking cool man I'm putting combos together in 13 for the first time.

https://youtu.be/mh__tawlHnc

cancelling muh drive right into Kula

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:04 pm 

Zelda Twilight Princess. yeah its slow paced and handholdy not to mention it has some hideous character designs but it has really good dungeons and I have a lot of sentimental feelings towards it. my hype level for Nintendo was at an unprecendented high at the time it was released originally (before I came to realize how awful motion controls as a concept is)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:19 pm 

Just hanging out with some friends. In their base. Doing some magic tricks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WyDmFn ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CKdCbr ... sp=sharing

This was from after the show. You can see whats left of them at the bottom. They weren't a very good audience.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:50 am 

mycophobia wrote:
Zelda Twilight Princess. yeah its slow paced and handholdy not to mention it has some hideous character designs but it has really good dungeons and I have a lot of sentimental feelings towards it. my hype level for Nintendo was at an unprecendented high at the time it was released originally (before I came to realize how awful motion controls as a concept is)

In my book, Twilight Princess is Ocarina of Time but better. It's not a perfect game, but the few shortcomings it has aren't exactly unique for the series.
The creativity and variation to the dungeons really elevates it. And Midna is by far the best "annoying partner" Link has ever had. Whenever another game mimicks that mechanic (any excuse for accompanying a lone hero with a voice of exposition/tutorials), we always call it that game's midna.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:29 am 

Sumez wrote:
In my book, Twilight Princess is Ocarina of Time but better. It's not a perfect game, but the few shortcomings it has aren't exactly unique for the series.
The creativity and variation to the dungeons really elevates it. And Midna is by far the best "annoying partner" Link has ever had. Whenever another game mimicks that mechanic (any excuse for accompanying a lone hero with a voice of exposition/tutorials), we always call it that game's midna.

Agreed on all counts

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:00 pm 

Violent Storm - One of Konami's best beat 'em up games. The soundtrack is great and there's always something humorous happening in the backgrounds. The gameplay completely copies Final Fight, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Incredibly underrated game.

Ikari Warriors 3 - It's an improvement over the first two games, but that isn't saying much. Hit detection is wonky, enemy variety is lacking, the environments are dull, and unless you count the same tank showing up four times, there aren't even any boss fights. Well below average.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:09 pm 

mycophobia wrote:
my hype level for Nintendo was at an unprecendented high at the time it was released originally (before I came to realize how awful motion controls as a concept is)

Nintendo's concept perhaps is, but some other devs' like Hudson Soft's, Sega's, Team NINJA's, Treasure's, Monster Games', Square Enix' and Capcom's are pretty good for my money. Trouble with Wii was, Nintendo's most devout worshippers refuse to even suppose that any dev studio not owned by Nintendo can have any better idea what to do with Nintendo's hardware, so when Nintendo fails to deliver, they (said worshippers) refuse to even try playing those alternatives, pretending there's NOTHING out there (to quote Max Payne, "the past is a gaping hole").
Wii remains the latest console of mine on which I played any games to completion, and not a single one of those games was developed by Nintendo. Whom I gave chance indeed. My distaste peaked absolutely at stage of Super Mario Galaxy where I had to control a marble with remote held vertically. It was like developed by someone from a world where no flight sticks exist to examine what such analogue controls are all about (here's a hit - when it's not mounted firmly upon hefty foundation and self-centering, it simply isn't fun), and from time when Kororinpa wasn't already out, sporting darn brilliat marble controls with a remote held horizontally in both hands.*
Hudson Soft in particular sung one hell of their swansong on the Wii. I'm under impression some of their engineers were passionate about it and come up with truly inspired engines for it. (See an interview with Osamu Tsuchihashi for details.)
Spoiler: show
Quote:
Q: Having seen so many ways to use light and shadow in gameplay, I imagine that the game engine is quite unique. Did you have to create an engine specifically for this game? Was it a challenge?

A: Your assumption is absolutely correct.

Most of the development period for this game was used to create the shadow engine. We had to continue to tweak and correct the engine, right up to the recent debugging. We even had to re-write some data to have it work with this engine.

I can tell you that those tweaking days are the reason why I have an ulcer now...

*) To be fair, I think when Kororinpa got released, it could be too late for tweaking SMG's engine in this regard, considering it was only one stage short enough not to burst a worshipper's bubble of faith.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:12 pm 

Sumez wrote:
mycophobia wrote:

*laughs in Ezlo*

TP loses to Ocarina imo because Ocarina does what it does. TP is just a massive prick tease. Dungeons are probably better, I don't know. I can't be bothered to play it again.
The wolf mechanic may aswell not exist, it's garbage. The twilight realm could have been cool, it wasn't. It wasn't developed at all.

WW, TP, SS. The gimmick trilogy.

ahh you know what, I think Tatl is the least annoying.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:38 pm 

i like the wolf

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:18 am 

I like the wolf too, that's why it's so frustrating :lol:
Imagine if they'd actually built a decent amount of gameplay around it, instead of it being a dumb gimmick.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:38 am 

Sumez wrote:
The creativity and variation to the dungeons really elevates it.

I can agree with this, too. TP was actually the very first 3D-Zelda I had played in my life. When I played OoT much later (via the WW bonus disc), I liked it well enough, but it's definitely quite rough around the edges. I can see why it was considered groundbreaking at the time it came out, though.

Funnily enough, I kind of felt the same way with the 2D-Zeldas, as I played Link's Awakening before LttP and thought that the latter had some bits and pieces that weren't as refined as they should be.

TP also has double hookshots. DOUBLE HOOKSHOTS!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:46 pm 

I started playing Starcraft again for the first time in about 20 years. The remastered update looks fantastic. It hasn't aged a bit and remains one of the best PC games ever made.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:53 am 

Currently trying to 1CC Gunstar Heroes on Expert (the Sega Genesis one, not the arcade Mega Play). I've got it mostly nailed down except for 3 trouble spots:

• The shmup stage is ridiculous without Flame + Lightning. It's so much easier to just block the bullets than to try and dodge everything, especially in the segments with the asteroids.

• The last Green fight is brutal without Flame + Lightning to just deflect his stars. Chaser + Flame works too.

• I got to Golden Silver with 157 Vitality and still couldn't secure the win. Ended up practicing the exploit where you can stand close enough and bait Golden Nuclear Blast where he'll constantly use it but can't hit you. Lets you drop him below 4500 health to phase 3 taking minimal damage, where he stops using Golden Blast Nuclear as well as Earth Resolver, and then just melees you. The sweet spot isn't actually too tough to find, when not shooting Fixed Shot's hair basically touches the edge of his large shoulderpad. I'll have to resort to this exploit to 1CC it next attempt, I just can't beat him in a straight up fight reliably unless he resorts to a lot of Earth Resolvers at a distance so I can just jump over them.

Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:06 am 

y u playin dat metal slug ripoff

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:36 pm 

cuz I like the giant laser knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGtGF4dLjo

Got the clear on a run that did not go at all according to plan. Missed both life items in Green's stage and an accidental weapon pick, sloppy boss execution, then on the shmup stage I didn't manage to get a lightning item at all in the fifth stage. Ended up trying double Chaser for kicks and it surprisingly was decent up until the giant turret section where I had to eat a ton of damage figuring out the best way through. Didn't get a lightning item in the last level either, so couldn't do the exploit against Green, and had a really bad Pink Lobster fight. But I discovered an entirely new strat for Green - rapid tapping with Force + Flame to make the grenades explode in his face actually deflects a lot of the stars away that Green tosses as well as stunlocks him! Hooray!

Got the Golden Silver exploit right away, made it super easy to end him with the health I had left. Expert 1CC get.

Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:59 pm 

Suikoden 1. Never really gave this a fair shake before, good game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:14 pm 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Suikoden 1. Never really gave this a fair shake before, good game.

Make sure you keep your savestate of it once cleared so you can load it up when starting 2 next. Makes another good game all the better.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:39 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
cuz I like the giant laser knife

Got the clear on a run that did not go at all according to plan. Missed both life items in Green's stage and an accidental weapon pick, sloppy boss execution, then on the shmup stage I didn't manage to get a lightning item at all in the fifth stage. Ended up trying double Chaser for kicks and it surprisingly was decent up until the giant turret section where I had to eat a ton of damage figuring out the best way through. Didn't get a lightning item in the last level either, so couldn't do the exploit against Green, and had a really bad Pink Lobster fight. But I discovered an entirely new strat for Green - rapid tapping with Force + Flame to make the grenades explode in his face actually deflects a lot of the stars away that Green tosses as well as stunlocks him! Hooray!

Got the Golden Silver exploit right away, made it super easy to end him with the health I had left. Expert 1CC get.

Damn. Nice. I haven't given GH a go in a few years and sure as hell haven't gotten an expert 1 CC.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:53 pm 

It's very tough. I've tried for years and the shmnup level along with the final level are always major roadblocks.

I'm working on the JP Game Gear version next which I somehow miraculously picked up as a kid in a bargain bin at a dollar store. There were a bunch of loose GG carts that had been repackaged in cheap cardboard boxes with clear plastic, and when I saw the Gunstar Heroes logo on one with Japanese text I was blown away. Good thing it worked and wasn't region locked, cause I didn't know a thing about region locking then.

The GG version is unmistakably Gunstar Heroes. It's clearly rougher as you'd expect from a conversion to a weaker platform, but it has enough changes and unique things that it's fun playing. Seven Force only has 5 forms (lol) but they're all quite a bit different from before. You can't cheese Blaster Force, Crab Force is totally different (and will ram you if you get baited in to trying to move above or below it!). Orange is also much harder, and has a new attack where he stomps the helicopter, knocking you off if you're hanging from the heli. He's the last of the three bosses I do, I find him harder than Green's stage!

As I remembered, the fourth stage (no Black in the GG version :( ) is nuts. The main problem is Colonel Red; his grenades do 17 damage a pop and the hitboxes last approximately forever. He also fires about 3 times the number of grenades at a time as originally! Seriously, you can do a high jump over one, land well after it's exploded, and still get hit. I remembered him being a road block, and that explains why.

Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14019 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 457, 458, 459, 460, 461, 462, 463 ... 468  Next