shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:06 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13755 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 454, 455, 456, 457, 458, 459  Next
 Post subject: Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:21 pm 

I'm in the minority I think - 9 didn't hold my interest long enough for me to finish. I'm not a big fan of the aesthetic and there are so many little things it does that fell flat for me (mognet, the card game, the music, that strategy guide that directed you to the internet ever three paragraphs) that when I took a break from it, I forgot about it altogether. I liked learning skills from items and enjoyed grinding my team until they'd learned from everything they could, but ultimately didn't love spending time in the world and didn't really care how things played out.

Maybe it's worth returning to.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 pm 

In general Lost Odyssey to me feels more like Final Fantasy 9 than anything else in the series

Whoa, I really liked Lost Odyssey

I didn't think anybody really played that. Even when I eventually sold it to Gamestop, the sales guy was like "Whoa, there's four discs in here? What the hell is this?"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:50 pm 

m.sniffles.esq wrote:

I didn't think anybody really played that.

I vaguely remember it coming out, but at a rather confusing time. It coincided with both the initial emergence and popularity of smart phones and the peak of the last big global recession. I think it just got buried in the confusion of it's time to the greater public. I went onto mobygames to look at screenshots and found that there are exactly ZERO screenshots of the game up on the site.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:57 pm 

Sumez wrote:
Lost Odyssey pretty much ditches the world map outside of some late-game optional exploration bits.

In general Lost Odyssey to me feels more like Final Fantasy 9 than anything else in the series (or genre in general), despite being a little heavier thematically. FF9 fans who haven't played it, should. It's great.

Yeah it's an amazing JRPG. Probably still my favorite Final Fantasy game to this day even if it isn't technically in the series.

vol.2 wrote:
m.sniffles.esq wrote:

I didn't think anybody really played that.

I vaguely remember it coming out, but at a rather confusing time. It coincided with both the initial emergence and popularity of smart phones and the peak of the last big global recession. I think it just got buried in the confusion of it's time to the greater public. I went onto mobygames to look at screenshots and found that there are exactly ZERO screenshots of the game up on the site.

Everyone I know that has played it loved it, but yeah it's mostly hardcore types.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:09 pm 

Blinge wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:
FF9 though was a nostalgic trip.

Seems that's its main appeal.
I get it, I mean I really enjoyed the first and last discs. I can just never get over how Black Mage village is pretty much the only interesting place outside of the first continent.

Yeah, I'm sure nostalgia plays a big part of it. I thought disc 3 fell off, but some of the music was really good, too (especially Freya's theme). It's always hard for me to judge RPGs though because it's a genre I only loved as a kid and actually grew to really despise as an adult.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:01 pm 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Everyone I know that has played it loved it, but yeah it's mostly hardcore types.

My girlfriend never plays JRPGs* but she loved Lost Odyssey too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:06 pm 

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Blinge wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:
FF9 though was a nostalgic trip.

Seems that's its main appeal.
I get it, I mean I really enjoyed the first and last discs. I can just never get over how Black Mage village is pretty much the only interesting place outside of the first continent.

Yeah, I'm sure nostalgia plays a big part of it. I thought disc 3 fell off, but some of the music was really good, too (especially Freya's theme). It's always hard for me to judge RPGs though because it's a genre I only loved as a kid and actually grew to really despise as an adult.

Interestingly enough I'm appreciating the genre more now. The difference between good and bad is pretty huge though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:33 pm 

All right, that's quite enough of FF games that people don't consider crimes against God and nature. :P

Finished the main story of FF15; I nabbed the "Royal Edition", so next I'll try the included "episodes" and see how they strike me. Episode Ardyn is also half price on the PSN at the moment; anyone have any thoughts on that one?

- Seems the GIF reply I got a little ways back did not lie; I still have no idea why half the stuff happened happened. :P There were certainly some nice fireworks along the way, though; I doubt I'll spend too much time trying to find stuff I missed (some of which seems all but impossible to snag without a guide, a new game plus run, a lot more time/patience than I have, or some combination of the three), but overall I had a pretty good time, and spent over 100 hours on the "base" game, so no need to go into the DLC grumbling about how the former felt "gutted" (though some parts, particularly later on, did come across as unfinished, no doubt largely to blame on the game's infamously fraught development).

- I did finally manage to get my paws on a Safety Bit - via a quest reward instead of a drop, but darned if I'm complaining - though I didn't get much chance to demand a rematch with those insta-death bastards since I soon afterwards headed to Anime Venice. I've never been to Actual Venice, but yeesh, I really hope it's not as much of a pain to find your way around in as its FF equivalent, else tourists must vanish into the ether by the thousands over there. :P

- I never get too involved with photo mode or the various cosmetic "customization" options in games, as I tend to see them largely as ways to change up the scenery for people determined to grind their way to a platinum trophy, but I must admit that as the game went on I got some chuckles out of simply checking out the snapshots the game automatically takes for you; some of the goofball poses it came up with are pretty priceless. I also souped up my wheels a handful of times; my personal favorite was the Classy Coffeemobile, dark brown paint job with the Ebony logo on the side. On the other hand, there was also the Kenny Crow and His Short-Skirted Anime Girlfriend decal set...which managed to make his "A Mouthful of Happiness" slogan even more uncomfortable. :lol:

- Just to make sure I wasn't missing anything...was Justice Monsters Five as much of a waste of time as it felt like, or did I overlook something obvious?

Probably going to give Gladio's side story first go; maybe it'll actually lend him a bit of depth as a character? Or is another GIF headed my way? :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:47 am 

Currently playing Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap redo. I want to like it, as it looks and sounds glorious, but it's quite obnoxious at times. It loves springing enemies on you with no warning, and/or surrounding you in ways that mean you're going to take a hit, then giving you a bit of health back. I can see why the design of it in general was so lauded back in the day, but I'm struggling to enjoy it moment-to-moment.

Dropped Amnesia. Like Outlast before it, nice concept stretched too thin.

I have finally managed to get into Judgement after two failed attempts though. And Moto Raid is a cracker.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:03 am 

Dragon's Trap is a pretty good game, but nothing out of the ordinary in the context of the genre's broad popularity today.
Aggelos is better in every way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:21 am 

Marc wrote:
Dropped Amnesia. Like Outlast before it, nice concept stretched too thin.

Really? Amnesia shat me up, and it's general survival horror game length? 10 hours, something like that. Seemed like a reasonable length to me.

Also Amnesia definitely came first. Outlast probably owes everything to Frictional Games/Amnesia/Penumbra

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:33 am 

Sumez wrote:
Dragon's Trap is a pretty good game, but nothing out of the ordinary in the context of the genre's broad popularity today.

That's in the backlog. Alongside one or two Shantae games, Yoku's Island Express, Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, Momodora, Monster Boy, and probably a few others I've forgotten about. No next gen for me :D

Blinge wrote:
Really? Amnesia shat me up, and it's general survival horror game length? 10 hours, something like that. Seemed like a reasonable length to me.

Also Amnesia definitely came first. Outlast probably owes everything to Frictional Games/Amnesia/Penumbra

Yeah my bad, just thinking of it that way as it's been a few years since I played Outlast. I'll give Amnesia another hour or so then, but I got pretty tired of hiding in the dark with no real indication as to whether I was safe or not. Atmosphere is great though.

I believe the second game is a pure walking sim - I've done my best with one or two of those, but I doubt it's for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:46 am 

iirc you probably are safe in the dark, it's just a trade off with the sanity loss while you're doing it.
How far did you get, like what's the last thing that happened?

I wanted to stay sane as possible.

..then there was that time that i got got by a really obvious jumpscare and as i jumped IRL I took some skin off my hand bashing it on the corner of the desk.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:58 am 

Played maybe two hours? I know I put together some acid that got me underneath the starting point, end ended up in a basement where I did.... something, and had to balance a few bits of floor to get back up. I've just done a circuit of the corridors and study-type rooms, and ended up back at the start, sure it was just after that I left it, but it's been a week, and I'd had a few. I mean I was enjoying it enough, but I dunno, maybe just not my thing anymore.

Though I did enjoy much of Silent Hill: Downpour, which I ended up abandoning due to the horrendous combat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:21 pm 

For those looking for novel games, my top 10 unique games list just went up at caltrops.

I apologize for the length. Turns out unique games require a little more explanation than variations off an established genre.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:30 pm 

Grabbed Void Terrarium for the Switch, and it's pretty great. VERY timely storyline
Spoiler: show
(there's both a global pandemic and a AI controlled police force that essentially eradicates the human race...)

People seem to call it a "mystery dungeon," bit I have never heard that term before so I call it a combination of rogue-like and virtual pet, which seems odd, but both sides work well and make it ultimately both addicting and sweet. Like all of Nippon-Ichi's recent non-Disgaea output, it seems designed for the Switch because it plays really, really well undocked. So it's great for the lite or as a commuter game (for those who still commute)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:28 pm 

Marc wrote:
Sumez wrote:

That's in the backlog. Alongside one or two Shantae games, Yoku's Island Express, Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, Momodora, Monster Boy, and probably a few others I've forgotten about. No next gen for me :D

Seconding Aggelos, it's a really great game and I agree that it's superior to Dragon's Trap in every way. Boss fights on hard difficulty are so damn hectic, I love it! Give it a try when you can.

Mischief Maker wrote:
For those looking for novel games, my top 10 unique games list just went up at caltrops.

Let me ask you something about The Last Federation. The concept of the game intrigues me a lot, but how much of it is spent playing the turn-based shmup mode? Can I avoid it altogether? Because playing a shmup that auto-pauses every 2 seconds is very frustrating. I did play Critical Mass in the past and all I can think of it is how better it would be if it was real-time.
You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.

This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:51 pm 

Ruldra wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:

Let me ask you something about The Last Federation. The concept of the game intrigues me a lot, but how much of it is spent playing the turn-based shmup mode? Can I avoid it altogether? Because playing a shmup that auto-pauses every 2 seconds is very frustrating. I did play Critical Mass in the past and all I can think of it is how better it would be if it was real-time.

You can spend less than 10% of the game in it, depending on the options you choose, but you can't skip it entirely.

That said, it doesn't control like an action game and the keyboard shortcuts allow you to quickly glide through turns.

And note that the article is written for a general audience so while I used terms like bullet-hell and danmaku, don't expect proper cave patterns.

Though if you DO want an action game with the kind of patterns The Last Federation throws around, Arcen made a twin-stick arena roguelite called Starward Rogue, but I haven't played the game myself so I make no promises.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:35 pm 

Mischief Maker wrote:
For those looking for novel games, my top 10 unique games list

YO! thanks for pointing out Yoku's Island Express - the old often overlooked pinball adventure game. I'd have never guessed someone did a modern version.
Pinball Quest on NES, DinoLand on Mega Drive, and Holy Striker on SFC never really did it for me.
Looking forward to playing Yoku's Island Express thanks to your recommendation. It's even available physically for all the current consoles.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:47 pm 

Is there a way to make your ai party members not suck in Secret of Mana??? I've tried the act settings in various ways and they just don't ever attack, flail around and die...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:58 pm 

AI party members function best with long range weapons. The whip, bow, and chakram all are worthwhile using to maximize their effectiveness. You'll generally find offensive spells are the best, most reliable source of damage, but MP recovery items can be pricy at the start.

You generally want one member set to aggressively attack (don't let them use any charge or at most 1 or 2 levels) to inflict knockdowns, and then the other allowed to fully charge whatever weapon they have so they can focus on. You as the human player can charge attack or use quick attacks or spells as necessary, and can make better use of the melee weapons.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:08 pm 

Thanks. Hopefully things improve because this is triggering my re5 ptsd. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:22 pm 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Thanks. Hopefully things improve because this is triggering my re5 ptsd. :lol:

I think I pissed off several forum-goers earlier when I complained about Secret of Mana during a playthrough several months ago. I was fortunate to be able to play it co-op on my first time through, where a friend who was really into the game wanted to replay it with me, which mitigated some of the AI issues. Actually, one thing I praised then and still would is the AI, which functioned way better than I had expected would (when not using the extreme close range weapons). My main issue was I couldn't figure out why enemies would sometimes be hittable during their stagger animations and sometimes not (as it turns out enemies all have a stagger and a knockdown pose that triggers at random - physical attacks during the knockdown pose will connect and register their damage when the enemy stands up from their current knockdown).

My opinion of the game is that it's a decent, but not necessarily good or exceptional RPG. It was very ambitious, but had some development issues that kept the plot from being as good as they'd originally intended, and the combat system isn't as good as other top-down adventure action games of the time that focused on a stronger single player experience such as Brain Lord. The game is very similar to Tales of Phantasia for the SNES; it started off a series that sequels polished and improved greatly, but its first release entry in the series hasn't necessarily aged all that well (Tales of Phantasia's PS1 release is vastly better in every way, ironing out most of the combat issues and introducing many quality of life features that are now staples in the series).

By mid to end of the game, the best strategy honestly is just play as the Sprite, and lock down anything you encounter with spells. Offensive spells are, with only a few exceptions, vastly dominant over melee attacks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:43 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
I was fortunate to be able to play it co-op on my first time through, where a friend who was really into the game wanted to replay it with me

That is very fortunate, I always wanted to play that game with 3 players. Even if there are some weak spots here and there, having two friends to play through with you is a fantastic bonus.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:57 pm 

There is definitely some, I almost want to call it lag when processing hits when you attack rapidly to keep an enemy on the ground.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:21 am 

Mischief Maker wrote:

I apologize for the length. Turns out unique games require a little more explanation than variations off an established genre.

Speed Brawl has me interested. Is there a scoring system ? Replay Value ? Equivalent of a 1CC ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:14 pm 

guigui wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:

Speed Brawl has me interested. Is there a scoring system ? Replay Value ? Equivalent of a 1CC ?

It's kinda like a racing game where each stage is played individually and awarded a medal based on time. A later patch added platinum medals for every stage in the game, which can only be achieved with endgame skills and equipment. Also there are two bonus medals to be earned each stage, one for finishing it without taking a hit, the other for maintaining an unbroken chain the whole way through, which also record what speed medal you reached while earning them.

So arguably yes to all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:26 pm 

Steam is a cruel mistress.

I had 10 games on Steam back in mid March. Now I have 21, and then there are another four on my wish list. Although one is early access (Noita) and another, Weird West isn't out yet.

I have more time to sink into Blazing Chrome before I buy anything else..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:50 pm 

Stevens wrote:

I had 10 games on Steam back in mid March. Now I have 21, and then there are another four on my wish list.

I signed up for a Steam Account in ~2003 in order to unlock the "Gold" features of my Half-Life (Half Life 1) release that came with an ATI 128 Rage Pro card. They basically gave away Counter Strike, Opposing Force and Blue Shift, which was very generous at that time. But it really works as a marketing strategy on me because I've been using it ever since.

I _really_ miss the old Steam user interface. It was so wonderfully utilitarian, but I guess it's hard to market to the general public without all the window dressing. If I had my way, I'd launch everything from a command line.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:16 pm 

vol.2 wrote:
Stevens wrote:

I had 10 games on Steam back in mid March. Now I have 21, and then there are another four on my wish list.

I signed up for a Steam Account in ~2003 in order to unlock the "Gold" features of my Half-Life (Half Life 1) release that came with an ATI 128 Rage Pro card. They basically gave away Counter Strike, Opposing Force and Blue Shift, which was very generous at that time. But it really works as a marketing strategy on me because I've been using it ever since.

I _really_ miss the old Steam user interface. It was so wonderfully utilitarian, but I guess it's hard to market to the general public without all the window dressing. If I had my way, I'd launch everything from a command line.

I know what you're talking about:D When it was that ugly military green and the entire thing consisted of a server list and your friends list.

I played a shit ton of Firearms back then, what a great mod that was. Honestly thought it was better than CS, still do.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13755 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 454, 455, 456, 457, 458, 459  Next