What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Sumez »

For what it's worth, as a non-native English speaker, I've seen a lot of slang, regional terminology and wordplays that's confused me in video games for as long as I've played video games in English. I guess as an English speaker, it might be more obvious when it's done as outrageously as Dragon Quest does it, but all games really do it. Occasionally I've been familiar with terms in video games for years or even decades before realizing what it was meant to mean. Monkey Island is an early example of a game doing a lot of that stuff (and is also one of the first text-heavy games I played through while barely being able to even understand English).

It hasn't damaged the enjoyment of any of those games, and I enjoy the subtle insight into that kind of stuff through the window of video games. Shit is whack for sure.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The most colloquial British English galore I witnessed in any medium was in Gary Oldman's Nil By Mouth film. Those are actors speaking, so the articulation's pretty clear, but I think most of its dialogue is improvised and... colloquial indeed. As a fansubber of sorts, the very thought of translating it gives me the creeps.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sumez wrote:For what it's worth, as a non-native English speaker, I've seen a lot of slang, regional terminology and wordplays that's confused me in video games for as long as I've played video games in English.....
....It hasn't damaged the enjoyment of any of those games, and I enjoy the subtle insight into that kind of stuff through the window of video games. Shit is whack for sure.
This is what I was wondering about, so fair enough.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Blinge wrote:Nice of you to get so scientific but as with any slang there arent strict rules. Sometimes it's as you say, sometimes it isn't.
Either way my giraffe point still stands.

By the by I just remembered at my last job I asked the manager something and he said " ain't got a scooby, mate. "
Translate that one. :lol:
Don't have a clue, Scooby Doo.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Blinge wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote: After talking to Scottish people you can figure out basically anything, imo. Like fucking amirite m8?
Absolutely.
LOL. Too good. I can hear it with that thick Scottish accent too, even better.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
CIT

Post by CIT »

I just 1cc'd Neo Drift Out. Super fun game! :D
Steamflogger Boss

Whew, FFIX is done. Necron is a shit head with that Grand Cross bs.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Whew, FFIX is done. Necron is a shit head with that Grand Cross bs.
When I played this back in the day I was very lucky that I was able to spam Solution 9 against him, might not have done it without that.
Steamflogger Boss

Mero wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Whew, FFIX is done. Necron is a shit head with that Grand Cross bs.
When I played this back in the day I was very lucky that I was able to spam Solution 9 against him, might not have done it without that.
Had to look that up, never had it come up. I ended up having everybody haste and regen with every status blocker you can and it was still kinda hairy. Start off the fight doing big damage but then it starts buffing and even healing. Thankfully even with buffs Steiner was still doing some damage and that initial burst was around 34k.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

First time I beat FF9 (might still be the only time? I don't remember), grand cross had basically destroyed my entire party. I had three dead party members and Vivi with berserk, doing miniscule physical damage at every turn but also miraculously dodging everything Necron threw at him...

I couldn't control the battle in any way, just sit there and watch with no way to go back and reload my save outside of resetting the console. So I just went out to make a sandwich and when I came back I saw the "fight" still ongoing, and Vivi somehow managing to take down the boss on his own, using only physical attacks XD
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

How did you like (or not) your experience with the game, Boss?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

FinalBaton wrote:How did you like (or not) your experience with the game, Boss?
A true classic jrpg in every sense. It has more or less everything I'm looking forin The genre. The story did really go off the rails but I expect that from Square. :lol:

Sumez that is wild. It's good to know in reading here and elsewhere I didn't miss anything obvious and Necron is just difficult. I died the first time since I went into the fight blind.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

In the spooky coincidence dept. I just got the Switch version of FF9 this weekend (it was $10), finally caving to 20 years of hype and pestering...

Being a Sega guy from way back I've never held much fondness for FF, even though I had played some seven like every human being (it was my roommate that was 'into it'). And by late '00 I was already onto the Dreamcast, anyway. But there was this portion of friends and acquaintances* that wouldn't shut-up about how great, underrated, better than seven, amazing, etc it was. When the remaster was released this began again (hey, you never did play that did you? Oh, you gotta... So underrated, better than seven, amazing, etc")

So for the sake of science, and loss of $10, I will go forth... (if you can't tell, I'm really not expecting much)

*Including one friend that owned an "Art of Final Fantasy IX" coffee table book. Which... is what it is, I suppose.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ah I wouldn't say the underrated title applies to FFIX anymore. All I've ever heard is how great it is.

.. I think I prefer VIII just for its weirdness.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

No one ever disliked FF9. It was widely loved right from its release. FF8 was a lot more divisive. And of course from 10 forward it all went crazy.

That's not to say FF9 doesn't have a bunch of issues. A lot more than FF7 does, honestly. I loved it wholeheartedly when it came out because it felt like such a strong return to form, like a "real" Final Fantasy again. But looking at it now I could see a bunch of other habits starting with this game. Most notably the heavily linear design of the entire thing.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Sumez wrote:a bunch of other habits starting with this game. Most notably the heavily linear design of the entire thing.
That aspect was already established by VII, no?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

It definitely was, FB. To me FF was the linear series whereas Dragon Quest was much more open and exploration based. Both have their pros and cons, and I enjoy both series well enough.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

FinalBaton wrote:
Sumez wrote:a bunch of other habits starting with this game. Most notably the heavily linear design of the entire thing.
That aspect was already established by VII, no?
Yeah, I didn't really pay much attention to it in FF9 because people were already lambasting the series for being so linear at the time, and I just ignored that criticism, since what I liked about FF was stuff like the storytelling.
But FF9 definitely has your progression much more walled in than any of the earlier games in the series, often leaving you with absolutely no place to go but forward. You only get to really go around freely in an airship very rarely, and very late in the game.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Ah I wouldn't say the underrated title applies to FFIX anymore. All I've ever heard is how great it is.

I really wouldn't know, like I said, FF was never really my thing. (I mean, I knew eight was considered a 'disappointment' but I always just figured that was due to being the follow-up to one of the most beloved games ever)

But they would drone about how underrated and better than seven it was. I really don't know what made them feel that way. Maybe that people thought it was 'good' but still in the shadow of seven. Anyway, they've never pestered me to play another the way they have pestered me about that one, so I figure there's something about it.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

To this day, I still hear people go on about how FF7 is the greatest game ever made. Used to be a lot more common of a thing to hear, but it still pops up an awful lot.
I also hear damn near universal acclaim for FF9, but it's nowhere near is widely recognized as FF7.

Also, one thing about FF7 is the fact that so many people have played it, so there's no need to really proselytize for it. :lol:
It's ended up being so popular that there's fairly regular backlash against how widely acclaimed it is.
In contrast, FF9 didn't quite hit the stratospheric numbers that FF7 [or 8, or 10] did, and definitely sits in the shadow despite its high regard.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

null1024 wrote:To this day, I still hear people go on about how FF7 is the greatest game ever made.
I'm sure I said that at some point in my life. I probably did say it when I first played the game in the 90's. It was like playing a SNES JRPG, but so much more fully-realized. The amount of atmosphere created was overwhelming to me at the time, and there wasn't nearly as much to compare it to. It really, really did seem like the best game ever made in my mind (for at least a while).
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

The story and atmosphere is totally dope in VII tho, I'll give it that.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc »

null1024 wrote:To this day, I still hear people go on about how FF7 is the greatest game ever made. Used to be a lot more common of a thing to hear, but it still pops up an awful lot.
I also hear damn near universal acclaim for FF9, but it's nowhere near is widely recognized as FF7.

Also, one thing about FF7 is the fact that so many people have played it, so there's no need to really proselytize for it. :lol:
It's ended up being so popular that there's fairly regular backlash against how widely acclaimed it is.
In contrast, FF9 didn't quite hit the stratospheric numbers that FF7 [or 8, or 10] did, and definitely sits in the shadow despite its high regard.
I often found that FF7 lovers and FF9 lovers don't always overlap, and that's true for me. Maybe in 95 I thought FF7 looked great, but I didn't play it back then, and when I got the chance, I didn't actually love it. FF9 though was a nostalgic trip. I'd place it leagues above FF7, personally (though the story in FF7 was cooler, I'll give you that).
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

o.pwuaioc wrote:FF9 though was a nostalgic trip.
Seems that's its main appeal.
I get it, I mean I really enjoyed the first and last discs. I can just never get over how Black Mage village is pretty much the only interesting place outside of the first continent.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I've just picked up 9 on Switch. I know on release it was the first of the PS1 games I didn't finish, but I think some of that was partly because I'd felt so let down by 8.

I remember very little about it, but the comments about linearity are interesting, because I know that would have bugged me back in the day. Now, not so much, VII Remake moved at such a pace for most of the time that I never really stopped to think how little in the way of exploration there was, and even on playing Lost Odyssey a few years ago, I found the world map more annoying than fun.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Lost Odyssey pretty much ditches the world map outside of some late-game optional exploration bits.

In general Lost Odyssey to me feels more like Final Fantasy 9 than anything else in the series (or genre in general), despite being a little heavier thematically. FF9 fans who haven't played it, should. It's great.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I'm in the minority I think - 9 didn't hold my interest long enough for me to finish. I'm not a big fan of the aesthetic and there are so many little things it does that fell flat for me (mognet, the card game, the music, that strategy guide that directed you to the internet ever three paragraphs) that when I took a break from it, I forgot about it altogether. I liked learning skills from items and enjoyed grinding my team until they'd learned from everything they could, but ultimately didn't love spending time in the world and didn't really care how things played out.

Maybe it's worth returning to.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

In general Lost Odyssey to me feels more like Final Fantasy 9 than anything else in the series

Whoa, I really liked Lost Odyssey

I didn't think anybody really played that. Even when I eventually sold it to Gamestop, the sales guy was like "Whoa, there's four discs in here? What the hell is this?"
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:
Whoa, I really liked Lost Odyssey

I didn't think anybody really played that.
I vaguely remember it coming out, but at a rather confusing time. It coincided with both the initial emergence and popularity of smart phones and the peak of the last big global recession. I think it just got buried in the confusion of it's time to the greater public. I went onto mobygames to look at screenshots and found that there are exactly ZERO screenshots of the game up on the site.