shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:57 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 429, 430, 431, 432, 433
 Post subject: Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:11 pm 

My Hori joystick for the MegaDrive is pretty serviceable IMO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:27 pm 

魔法少女vs幻想郷 Magical Battle Arena demo works in Windows 2000. Allows running at 1600x1200 too, without stupid black bars. Figuring out the controls will require some effort.

The quantity of screaming is adequate.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:02 pm 

Duolingo..

motherfuckers. I MUST get to the diamond league. :x
only two more weeks of this hell

FUCK THAT OWL. YOU'RE NOT COMING FOR MY FAMILY.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:09 pm 

Having finished Doom 2016's spectacular single-player campaign on Ultra-Violence I've now started playing the multiplayer component. And, uh, it isn't very good. Weapon loadouts and experience levels feel way out of place here. This would have been so much better if they had just gone with a more straightforward arena shooter approach. What's sad is that you can tell a lot of effort was put into this, but it just doesn't click. I hope Doom Eternal will include a more traditional style of multiplayer.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 pm 

After finishing DQ XI I started Star Ocean First Departure R on Switch. It's old and clunky but I'm still enjoying it. I'm a sucker for a good Motoi Sakuraba OST. The up-scaling was handled surprisingly well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:42 am 

Honestly can't complain with Xenogears going into full boss rush mode. It's going to end up around 70 hours as is. If the second disc had the same pacing it would be well over 100.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:11 am 

Playing Xenogears in 2020 is like the most hardcore thing I've heard of. Right on brother! 8)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:44 am 

Picked up Grip for the Switch as it was on sale for a pretty tempting £8.50. Played it on my son’s Xbox via Game Pass earlier in the year, and had enough fun in the opening races that I couldn’t really ignore it at that price. Not playing many ‘proper’ games though, I tend to forget about the Switch generally being weaker for cross-platform stuff, and sure enough it looks rough as hell, it’s not much removed from a decent 3360 title to be honest. Having said that, the frame rate is consistent (docked, not tried portable), and it’s pretty fast even in the opening races. It’s scrappy, but good raucous fun, and I’ve already put more time into it that Redout, which I’ve struggled to get into for some reason I can’t quite pinpoint.

Managed to finish the REsi2, like the original, IMO it got weaker the further away from the Police Station you progressed, but as I’ve mentioned I didn’t help matters by playing it in such short bursts – it took me some 3 months to finish a 9 hour campaign! I’ll play Claire’s B scenario, I’ve a weekend to myself coming up so will try and hammer through it then. I’m also definitely getting bored of bosses in non-arcade games, I just didn’t find anything interesting about them here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:46 pm 

THE QUEEN OF BATTLERS 2
Nice soundtrack.

Not showing their names on the character select screen seems wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:34 pm 

scrilla4rella wrote:
Playing Xenogears in 2020 is like the most hardcore thing I've heard of. Right on brother! 8)

Ha. Yeah I guess lots of people these days just can't stand old games or something. I read a post recently (not on here) about how some games from like 2007 are unplayable now. Just wtf. I think this is honestly a top 10 JRPG ever. Before anyone freaks out I am not talking about only on gameplay. I am talking about the whole experience of the game, most of which isn't exactly quantifiable per se. It's all about *gasp* having fun for me. My list for this is all over the place, but Arc the Lad 2 and Lost Odyssey are somewhere on it too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 pm 

Sure it is awesome in many aspects, and terribly flawed too. It's been said enough that it was too ambitious.

Had the writing been more realistic in terms of development, focusing more on the central plot, treading less on secondary characters and subplot arcs so they could have actually crammed everything that matters into those two CD's, and polished the design, all in time and on budget, the game would have been a masterpiece.

What's sad is that Xenosaga doesn't make up for it, I mean 'Gears' is incomplete/imperfect, and 'Saga' isn't it either.

IMHO this is what remakes should be for.
Damned FF7 deserved an update because it's old and needs a good number of fixes, but not the full remake it's getting, a waste of resources and probably many aspects will disappoint like no overworld.
Xenogears however screams ideal candidate for a completed, finalized vision 'remake' by it's original key devs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:58 pm 

I feel like a finished, complete Xenogears experience would only be possible through fans of the game actually finishing the second disc as it was intended by modifying the damn thing and releasing a patch for it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:41 pm 

Xyga wrote:
Sure it is awesome in many aspects, and terribly flawed too. It's been said enough that it was too ambitious.

Had the writing been more realistic in terms of development, focusing more on the central plot, treading less on secondary characters and subplot arcs so they could have actually crammed everything that matters into those two CD's, and polished the design, all in time and on budget, the game would have been a masterpiece.

What's sad is that Xenosaga doesn't make up for it, I mean 'Gears' is incomplete/imperfect, and 'Saga' isn't it either.

IMHO this is what remakes should be for.
Damned FF7 deserved an update because it's old and needs a good number of fixes, but not the full remake it's getting, a waste of resources and probably many aspects will disappoint like no overworld.
Xenogears however screams ideal candidate for a completed, finalized vision 'remake' by it's original key devs.

The whole game was worth it for the dialogue sequence that started here

Like man, outside of some of the gameplay clunk, which is easy to overlook I really don't have much in the way of complaints. Like I mentioned earlier I'm kind of glad for the way the second disc was, because of how long the game would have been. The writing could have been better, but damn, it's still really good for a video game because at least it's trying to be interesting.

Given that the Xenosaga remake that made it further than anything Xenogears ever did got canned I doubt we ever see something like that unfortunately. Xenosaga has KOS-MOS to help sell it, and they still didn't think it was viable now. Breaks my heart. It'd all get fucked now anyway, removing things crucial to the game that are deemed "archaic". I'm happy with this, and reading Perfect Works.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:04 pm 

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Like man, outside of some of the gameplay clunk, which is easy to overlook I really don't have much in the way of complaints. Like I mentioned earlier I'm kind of glad for the way the second disc was, because of how long the game would have been.

Same here. Trade-offs and refinements from the original germ of an idea to the final result happen during any creative project. If they mean the result isn't finished, no work is.

I think I'd go so far to say Xenogears was the most fleshed out realization in its genre of its time. It has more content than FF7, more than any prior Square game, and probably more than any prior JRPG.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Konami Krazy Racers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:05 am 

I've been playing some Konami Krazy Racers recently. It was my very first game I got for the Gameboy Advance back in the day. I don't remember why I chose it over plain 'ole Mario Kart Super Circuit, when I didn't know anything about who the characters were besides maybe Goemon. It had a pretty fun cast of characters from different Konami franchises.

The extra characters can be unlocked without too much trouble, most of them require a blue jewel to be collected during Grand Prix then they will be unlocked (you can exit the race afterwards and it will still count). Bear Tank is too good relative to the rest of the cast (he's like T.T. from Diddy Kong Racing in that regard) and Vic Viper seems to have the worst handling. I like how the items are contained in bells, and that the blue bells are speed boosts just like in Twinbee.

Here's hoping they create another Konami Kart racer on consoles, and bring back Sparkster.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:13 pm 

Contra arcade 1cc (PS4 Arcade Archives hi score mode). So this game is hilarious at the end, it gives you a million points for the clear (compared to around 300k getting there) and 15 extra lives. But there's no second loop so I'm not sure what those lives are for, other than throwing a kegger sausage party.

This game is so wonky I don't think I'll push any further for score. I got used to lining up shots before I scrolled the screen into an enemy, so I didn't have to deal with the dumb way it rolls into diagonals.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12976 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 429, 430, 431, 432, 433