What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Sumez »

I got Minstrel Song for that task.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

NoooOoOooooOOoo i want you to feel my pain!
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

I didn't like the weird character designs in Minstrel Song. :?
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Clone Drone in the Danger Zone. (Voxel-based 3rd person arena swordfighting game)

New update just dropped today. It's noticeably smoother and more stable.

Normally I don't touch Early Access games with a 10-foot pole, but has been totally playable for over a year. I love this fricking game!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
kitten

Post by kitten »

it290 wrote:You have to bear in mind also that it's a portable game and I think the design is excellently suited for playing in short bursts.
i have never understood this, nor have i understood it when said for monster hunter. when i actually play a game on a handheld, i think of something like doing a full run of trip world or several stages in a kirby game, maybe messing around super mario 3d land or practicing the first few stages of an older action game. perhaps something like a classic puzzle game with a lot of stages to chip at, like catrap - something that is easy to turn off and then put back down. in PW (or any handheld monster hunter, or many modern games bloated with strategy & rpg elements in genres that they don't belong in - or sometimes do belong in), everything you're doing is playing into some greater thing about getting a new thing or continuing game-long min/maxing and micromanagement. those are weirdly obsessive things that, to me, require more attention and a mind constantly geared into them. what could i be doing more efficiently? which resources am i not allocating most cleverly? where do i need to go to get the exact thing i need, and what even is the exact thing i need?

simply turning the game on and hopping into a random mission just feels like wasting time, and being prepared enough to know how to best spend that time requires obsessive knowledge and play. efficient play in these games most benefits an obsessive approach, and obsession is not something my mind can just snap in and out of in the small spaces where a mission could conceivably fit. without the incentivized rewards and grander scheme keeping the game together, i feel like there's very little reason to play these over something like an action game. with them, i don't know how they can fit into those small spaces. but, that's just how my mind works, and...
I think for people who enjoy MGS as a sandbox as much or more than as a story experience, Peace Walker is up there with 3 and 5 as a standout entry.
...this is my fundamental failure, i almost never 'get' sandbox play in most games (sans something like minecraft, which i think does it best), and i very, very especially do not get it when there is a system in place suggesting what you should do and essentially saying you're wasting your time with the sandbox elements. this is probably why i don't see a huge difference between death stranding and kojima's last few games - efficient play in them feels almost exactly as soul-sappingly pointless, awful, and cynical. it feels like a rote performance, just traveling from point to point and going through the motions. the only time i feel like the silly fun stuff was properly married with the game was the original mgs, which i still hold in high regard.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
it290

Post by it290 »

I think MGSV in particular has a much higher ceiling for emergent gameplay. Metal Gear has always been about creatively using all the tools in your toolbox, and V's open world structure and upgrade trees let you do this with more freedom than ever before. There's just something super satisfying about humiliating an entire base full of soldiers using tools like lullaby tapes, girly mags, dropping crates on their head, setting decoys, punching them with a bloody rocket fist, etc. I don't know if DS has any of this stuff and I probably won't find out for a while as I don't plan on playing it anytime soon, but to me this has always been the 'fun' part of the series.

I don't get what you mean by 'a system saying you're wasting your time with the sandbox elements'—which game has something like this?
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

soprano1 wrote:I didn't like the weird character designs in Minstrel Song. :?
Yeah, I like the general pastel look, but the childish design of the characters feels at odds with the series' typical kinda grim and orthodox approach. It's a saga, not a fairy tale. And they are doing something similar with the new game, which really turns me off. They look like paper dolls!

Ironically, the mobage games have a character design that I feel fits the series much better.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Minstrel Song is in my list of "games that are supposed to be good, even great, but I cant play because of a flaw that sticks out like a sore thumb"
And that fucking character design is it. Look at those models. Ugh.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

Sumez wrote: Yeah, I like the general pastel look, but the childish design of the characters feels at odds with the series' typical kinda grim and orthodox approach. It's a saga, not a fairy tale. And they are doing something similar with the new game, which really turns me off. They look like paper dolls!
But they finally look just like Tomomi Kobayashi's designs now! After 25 years!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Bloodborne
Spoiler
Old Yharnam has not disappointed in the least. The further I made way way in the better it became. Dark, desolate, dead. Only the beast remains. I fought him three or four times
(as soon as I woke up at 5 AM). I didn't kill it yet, but had a fair amount of success in each fight. This evening? The beast will fall and the streets will run red.

Then I will reward myself with the stake gun.

Also love how the game treats armor. Very unique (to me).
My lord, I have come for you.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

ZacharyB wrote: But they finally look just like Tomomi Kobayashi's designs now! After 25 years!
I'm gonna assume sarcasm :3 I'm surprised she's even involved with Scarlet Grace.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I realised this week, that despite playing it regularly via the various Yakuza titles, and the Switch port, I couldn't remember finishing a single route on OutRun since I got rid of my Saturn and DC collections some 16/17 years ago. Maybe via the Xbox version on OutRun 2, but.... shit, that would have been around the same time :shock:

Decided to put some proper time into the Switch version, as opposed to just the odd run here and there, OLD version on defaults. Managing the last stages regularly, but running out of time in the latter half, so I decided to check some of the replays. WTF is going on there? They're doing some weird thing where they're cutting huge parts of the corners, but without even slowing down by going off-road? Can't for the life of me understand how it works, as any attempt by me to replicate the same thing just sees me slow to a crawl. Anyway, I'm at it again tonight, expect a few of the easier routes to go down. God I love this game.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Marc wrote:WTF is going on there? They're doing some weird thing where they're cutting huge parts of the corners, but without even slowing down by going off-road? Can't for the life of me understand how it works, as any attempt by me to replicate the same thing just sees me slow to a crawl.
Yeah, high-level play in Outrun is kind of dumb, in my opinion. There's a good video here explaining the boost start and geargacha techniques.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Stevens wrote:Bloodborne
Spoiler
Old Yharnam has not disappointed in the least. The further I made way way in the better it became. Dark, desolate, dead. Only the beast remains. I fought him three or four times
(as soon as I woke up at 5 AM). I didn't kill it yet, but had a fair amount of success in each fight. This evening? The beast will fall and the streets will run red.

Then I will reward myself with the stake gun.

Also love how the game treats armor. Very unique (to me).
You've got a fun boss coming up. :D
it290

Post by it290 »

Ghegs wrote:Yeah, high-level play in Outrun is kind of dumb, in my opinion. There's a good video here explaining the boost start and geargacha techniques.
Thanks for that video. I've only seen videos of people doing this on an actual machine and it makes it a lot harder to understand what the technique is. This video makes it look a lot easier than it actually is, but the shifting is definitely a lot less hectic than the in-person videos make it look.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Steamflogger Boss wrote: You've got a fun boss coming up.
Spoiler
Blood Starved Beast? If so I fought him three or four times this morning. Came close three of the four (last one I was pressed for time) but I wasn't prepared for the poison. I will be next time.

Or are you talking about after? Hmm I'm curious.

When I entered the building behind the clock I thought for sure I was going to have to fight the thing hanging from the ceiling:)

Either way after I kill BSB I am going to return to the Cathedral and continue my push forward there.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

Sumez wrote: I'm gonna assume sarcasm :3 I'm surprised she's even involved with Scarlet Grace.
I'm an artist, so I appreciate her designs as well. How could they get rid of her? She's so central to the concept art, that they've been employing her for those 25 years.

According what I remember reading in the Wikipedia article, the director specifically made the call to have the production art follow the concept art exactly.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Stevens wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote: You've got a fun boss coming up.
Spoiler
Blood Starved Beast? If so I fought him three or four times this morning. Came close three of the four (last one I was pressed for time) but I wasn't prepared for the poison. I will be next time.

Or are you talking about after? Hmm I'm curious.

When I entered the building behind the clock I thought for sure I was going to have to fight the thing hanging from the ceiling:)

Either way after I kill BSB I am going to return to the Cathedral and continue my push forward there.
BSB. If you haven't done so already keep in mind
Spoiler
that BSB is weak to fire and anti-beast. Fire paper on a weapon with a high beast modifier goes a long way here. Helps to have good poison res as well and I believe you should have Gascoigne's gear. Black Church set is incredibly useful but you might not have it yet.
Spoiler is a boss tip.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Thanks! But I won't look until after I've killed him.
Spoiler
The enemies in Old Yharnam really helped improve my parrying. I almost killed BSB earlier today. He dies tonight.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ghegs wrote:
Marc wrote:WTF is going on there? They're doing some weird thing where they're cutting huge parts of the corners, but without even slowing down by going off-road? Can't for the life of me understand how it works, as any attempt by me to replicate the same thing just sees me slow to a crawl.
Yeah, high-level play in Outrun is kind of dumb, in my opinion. There's a good video here explaining the boost start and geargacha techniques.
I remember reading in a M2 interview that about a bug in the game where you can shift constantly on the side of the road without losing speed (or something along those lines). I'm under the impression that they fixed it, but I don't remember if it can be toggled on/off in the 3DS and Switch versions.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I've known for years now that, contrary to popular belief, you can knock off John Crawley's and Mr. Big's glasses in the Mega Drive port of Ryuuko no Ken, but I've only just now gotten around to making a recording of it. Would anyone here be interested in seeing it?

Asking because I don't have a YouTube channel and uploading videos is a bit of a hassle.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

I made it pass the first "true" boss battle of Death Stranding at the end of Episode 2 (I think there's a few optional ones prior to that) and so far it's rather meh. The boss battle itself was rather simple, as it was basically a matter of jumping around the sinking buildings and gathering Hepatic Grenades to throw at the goo creature. I think I still have at least one "order for Sam" to finish on the current map (in addition to a countless of standard orders that I don't plan on doing too much), but not sure if it's worth finishing it or am I better off moving on to the next map. Kitten's sentiments about the game are more or less what I feel about the game. I don't dislike it per se, but I'm not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed MGSV (which at least has an engrossing plot before it drops the ball with Chapter 2, which is basically an unfinished epilogue) or even Survive, a game that was unjustly shat on upon release due to a lot of misinformation over the Kojima/Konami debacle (ironically, Survive probably has more MGSV staffers than Death Stranding, although admittedly Death Stranding probably has more key people). I seriously wonder if the game would had gotten less backlash if Kojima was upfront about the game being a deliveryman simulator instead of being vague over what kind of game genre it would be.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Stevens report yourself to the FromSoftware thread at once!!! :mrgreen:

Fear the old blood, we need a transfusion of the new.

Also... man, good luck with the Stake Driver.. you'll soon see why. :|
Sumez wrote: Image
Contrast with this. =[[[[

1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

WelshMegalodon wrote:I've known for years now that, contrary to popular belief, you can knock off John Crawley's and Mr. Big's glasses in the Mega Drive port of Ryuuko no Ken, but I've only just now gotten around to making a recording of it. Would anyone here be interested in seeing it?

Asking because I don't have a YouTube channel and uploading videos is a bit of a hassle.
If you put the video on a file host somewhere, I'll happily upload it to my channel (with proper credit OFC!). You know I'm always down with the archaeology. :cool: (still scarred by those PCE-CD Ryuuko load times, hooly Jesus they're life-altering :shock:)
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Thanks for the offer! And it's true, those loading times are something else. :shock: Just another reason I consider Mega Drive Ryuuko the most playable version after the Anthology release. Though the PC Engine conversion does deserve credit for being the most faithful contemporary port.

Link here

I also included King's top exploding since a few people seem to be in doubt about that as well.

Recorded in Kega Fusion 3.64 after using the built-in stage select to jump straight to the desired stages.
Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BIL

Post by BIL »

Cool, will get 'em up (DICK JOKE Image) shortly (unintentional :oops:).

Should I include Mr. Big as well, to make it a Dick Trifecta?
it290

Post by it290 »

I've been spending the day playing a few vintage C64 and Amiga games. First up is Knight'n'Grail, a rad little Metroid-style game. Take the role of a knight as you storm a mysterious castle looking for the holy grail to save your beloved. This game has some cool tricks up its sleeve, like alternating between music (for atmosphere) and sound effects, several equippable weapons/armors, and a disk save system (!), which is an extreme rarity on the C64. All in all the game is a bit on the easy side, but never stops being fun.

Looking forward to playing the sequel, Pains'n'Aches.

https://vintageisthenewold.com/knight-n ... a-classic/

Second up, I've been playing some Persian Gulf Inferno on the Amiga. This game is as much of its time as it sounds, and although to this day I've never beaten it, it remains a fun challenge. Storm an oil tanker full of terrorists threatening to detonate a nuclear bomb. I don't really know how to describe this game except to say it's a bit like Metal Gear meets Rolling Thunder and Elevator Action with some exploratory elements. I'm not sure how randomized the layout is, but essentially you have to navigate a huge ship while finding keys, hostages, weapons, and resources behind doors until you locate the stolen nuke. It's way less arcadey than my description makes it sound, but the gunfights with the terrorists are satisfyingly visceral and the music and atmosphere are great.

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

The streets run red with the blood of the fallen.

Off to my next kills..
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Yours is the first recommendation I've seen for a C64 homebrew title, aside from Prince of Persia. I'll have to try this one sometime.
BIL wrote:Cool, will get 'em up (DICK JOKE Image) shortly (unintentional :oops:).

Should I include Mr. Big as well, to make it a Dick Trifecta?
That would be great, thanks!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Done!

>John
>King
>Mr. Big

Oddly nostalgic, the MD (or in my case Genesis) conversion. I still have the Takara-published Genesis Sam Sho, couldn't say how well it holds up to the (obviously now far more accessible) Neo version, but we had some good times with it. Captured the staggering *BLAOW* impact of those A+B hits, at the least!