What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Stevens

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Stevens »

Noita. It apparently means witch in Finnish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBLoffoZLH8
My lord, I have come for you.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Treated myself to one of the SNK Arcade Pro sticks, so been messing around with some of their FTGs.
To be honest, anything after Super SF2 is generally to complicated for me - Waku Waku 7 is probably my favourite Neo fighter just for its sheer style - but by god they look god.

I had Garou on the DC, but it's been years since I played it and I'd forgotten just how stunning the animation on the game really is. I've not played SFIII in some time, but it can't look much more smooth or detailed than this surely?

The one I really took to though is Last Blade 2 - not just beautiful, but it seems pretty approachable, think I'd like to spend a bit more time with this one.

Big surprise was the unit itself - I'd heard the stick and buttons were middling at best, but I actually far prefer this to the Capcom Home Arcade straight out of the box.

Now for the Hylo hack. I've found the Neo full set, but the one with Final Burn and CPS stuff seems a bit of a swine to track down.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Last Blade 2 and Garou are both fantastic.

I dropped Secret of Mana due to boredom. Beat Chrono Trigger, started Breath of Fire.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I've put about 24 hours into Noita in the last six days. Full disclosure this game is still in early access, but feels remarkably complete. It is a perma death/rogue lite. The areas themselves are always connected to the same areas, but the layouts, enemy placement and items you will come across change. The amount of content is kind of staggering, and in true Soul's fashion you aren't given any instruction at all about which way to go, or anything else for that matter. There is a lot to unpack and discover.

You're Witch/Wizard. You start with two OK wands, and a flask of water. With this you head down into the mines and your journey begins.

Now Noita's real hook, at least for me, is that every single pixel is individually simulated. Giant vat of liquid in your way? Blow a hole in it and watch as the pixels flow. Gases/smoke billow up. Some of these are flammable. So it is possible to fill an area with a flammable gas, lite it with a fire spell (if you have one) and watch the chaos ensue as your enemies are burned to a crisp. It is really hard to explain and honestly a short clip would do it more justice then I ever could.

Here is a clip of one of the devs playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0We8a8AFPp8

It is seriously awesome and I feel like a kid playing a PC game back in the 80's.

Fair warning though - When you die, and you will die. Often spectacularly and sometimes unintentionally by your own hand - it's back to the start. But it's so good, fun, creative, and immersive that you won't care.

I mean seriously - you can bathe in your enemies blood.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Marc wrote:Treated myself to one of the SNK Arcade Pro sticks, so been messing around with some of their FTGs.
To be honest, anything after Super SF2 is generally to complicated for me - Waku Waku 7 is probably my favourite Neo fighter just for its sheer style - but by god they look god.

I had Garou on the DC, but it's been years since I played it and I'd forgotten just how stunning the animation on the game really is. I've not played SFIII in some time, but it can't look much more smooth or detailed than this surely?
I love how Garou looks, but SF3 is actually a lot smoother. It's really impressive. I also like that Garou is a [relatively] approachable game. Certainly a lot more than 3rd Strike is.
Also, AOF3 is also arguably smoother than Garou, and the sprites are huge... but I think that game is pants, and the animation is a bit stiff despite having a lot of frames. Garou definitely looks better. IIRC, they used some kind of rotoscoping on top of 3D modeled animations thing for AOF3, which is why that game looks so... off.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Always thought AOF3 looked unfortunate, between the rotoscope-esque movement and several fugly and/or dull characters. Pelican guy, whip cougar, roidbeast man... of SNK's marquee fighters, Real Bout 2 and Sam Sho III ran rings around it visually.

Garou's a beaut through and through, the odd choppy BG animation (like Kushnood's) aside. But OFC, in gameplay your attention is 110% on the gorgeous sprites. Freeman's stage, with the violent screen judder and rushing lights as the trains pass overhead (to his almost The Ripper-esque BGM) is a classic.

Been dabbling with Sam Sho 2 myself, lately - not in the same league as Garou for frames, of course, but god damn does it look, sound and handle like a million bucks. Character design, BG design, sound design, the doomy ethos of punishing strikes, blistering rage and mortal consequence ("KOROSHIMASUUU!"), an immortally fiery production.

null1024

Post by null1024 »

SS2 is brill, yeah.
It's a game that's weirdly hard to get my friends to play though. There was a time when I had friends living near me who'd have probably gone for SS2, but we were mostly playing 5 Special. :lol:

As for AOF 3... yeah, that's spot on. Still, even if they are on the fugly side, the GIANT sprites are very cool.
IRC, the Neo CD release had to zoom the game out a bit so they'd be smaller. :lol:

SNK's presentation was some seriously top notch stuff. One thing that immediately jumps to mind is Terry's animation in Real Bout Special where he jumps into the air and the star on his jacket leaves afterimages. It's the coolest fucking thing :D
I love it, I love it, I love it. Absolutely wonderful. Even their weaker games are full of grade-A style, and their top-list games are truly top list.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

One of my fondest FTG memories from BITD was showing friends who only knew the Dreamcast KOFs (by no means ugly games, but always forced to favour economy over style with such massive rosters) stuff like the Real Bouts and Garou, and their assuming SNK had come out with a CPS2-style upgrade. :mrgreen: (if only)

Although, speaking of style vs economy... I will always love RB2's ridiculously terse match intros. Image

GET IN THE RING *NUCLEAR BLAST*
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

KOF is so fucking cool man I'm putting combos together in 13 for the first time.

https://youtu.be/mh__tawlHnc

cancelling muh drive right into Kula
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Zelda Twilight Princess. yeah its slow paced and handholdy not to mention it has some hideous character designs but it has really good dungeons and I have a lot of sentimental feelings towards it. my hype level for Nintendo was at an unprecendented high at the time it was released originally (before I came to realize how awful motion controls as a concept is)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Just hanging out with some friends. In their base. Doing some magic tricks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WyDmFn ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CKdCbr ... sp=sharing

This was from after the show. You can see whats left of them at the bottom. They weren't a very good audience.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

mycophobia wrote:Zelda Twilight Princess. yeah its slow paced and handholdy not to mention it has some hideous character designs but it has really good dungeons and I have a lot of sentimental feelings towards it. my hype level for Nintendo was at an unprecendented high at the time it was released originally (before I came to realize how awful motion controls as a concept is)
In my book, Twilight Princess is Ocarina of Time but better. It's not a perfect game, but the few shortcomings it has aren't exactly unique for the series.
The creativity and variation to the dungeons really elevates it. And Midna is by far the best "annoying partner" Link has ever had. Whenever another game mimicks that mechanic (any excuse for accompanying a lone hero with a voice of exposition/tutorials), we always call it that game's midna.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Sumez wrote: In my book, Twilight Princess is Ocarina of Time but better. It's not a perfect game, but the few shortcomings it has aren't exactly unique for the series.
The creativity and variation to the dungeons really elevates it. And Midna is by far the best "annoying partner" Link has ever had. Whenever another game mimicks that mechanic (any excuse for accompanying a lone hero with a voice of exposition/tutorials), we always call it that game's midna.
Agreed on all counts
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

Violent Storm - One of Konami's best beat 'em up games. The soundtrack is great and there's always something humorous happening in the backgrounds. The gameplay completely copies Final Fight, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Incredibly underrated game.

Ikari Warriors 3 - It's an improvement over the first two games, but that isn't saying much. Hit detection is wonky, enemy variety is lacking, the environments are dull, and unless you count the same tank showing up four times, there aren't even any boss fights. Well below average.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

mycophobia wrote:my hype level for Nintendo was at an unprecendented high at the time it was released originally (before I came to realize how awful motion controls as a concept is)
Nintendo's concept perhaps is, but some other devs' like Hudson Soft's, Sega's, Team NINJA's, Treasure's, Monster Games', Square Enix' and Capcom's are pretty good for my money. Trouble with Wii was, Nintendo's most devout worshippers refuse to even suppose that any dev studio not owned by Nintendo can have any better idea what to do with Nintendo's hardware, so when Nintendo fails to deliver, they (said worshippers) refuse to even try playing those alternatives, pretending there's NOTHING out there (to quote Max Payne, "the past is a gaping hole").
Wii remains the latest console of mine on which I played any games to completion, and not a single one of those games was developed by Nintendo. Whom I gave chance indeed. My distaste peaked absolutely at stage of Super Mario Galaxy where I had to control a marble with remote held vertically. It was like developed by someone from a world where no flight sticks exist to examine what such analogue controls are all about (here's a hit - when it's not mounted firmly upon hefty foundation and self-centering, it simply isn't fun), and from time when Kororinpa wasn't already out, sporting darn brilliat marble controls with a remote held horizontally in both hands.*
Hudson Soft in particular sung one hell of their swansong on the Wii. I'm under impression some of their engineers were passionate about it and come up with truly inspired engines for it. (See an interview with Osamu Tsuchihashi for details.)
Spoiler
Q: Having seen so many ways to use light and shadow in gameplay, I imagine that the game engine is quite unique. Did you have to create an engine specifically for this game? Was it a challenge?

A: Your assumption is absolutely correct.

Most of the development period for this game was used to create the shadow engine. We had to continue to tweak and correct the engine, right up to the recent debugging. We even had to re-write some data to have it work with this engine.

I can tell you that those tweaking days are the reason why I have an ulcer now...
*) To be fair, I think when Kororinpa got released, it could be too late for tweaking SMG's engine in this regard, considering it was only one stage short enough not to burst a worshipper's bubble of faith.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sumez wrote:
mycophobia wrote:Zelda Twilight Princess. yeah its slow paced and handholdy not to mention it has some hideous character designs but it has really good dungeons and I have a lot of sentimental feelings towards it. my hype level for Nintendo was at an unprecendented high at the time it was released originally (before I came to realize how awful motion controls as a concept is)
In my book, Twilight Princess is Ocarina of Time but better. It's not a perfect game, but the few shortcomings it has aren't exactly unique for the series.
*laughs in Ezlo*

TP loses to Ocarina imo because Ocarina does what it does. TP is just a massive prick tease. Dungeons are probably better, I don't know. I can't be bothered to play it again.
The wolf mechanic may aswell not exist, it's garbage. The twilight realm could have been cool, it wasn't. It wasn't developed at all.

WW, TP, SS. The gimmick trilogy.

ahh you know what, I think Tatl is the least annoying.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

i like the wolf
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I like the wolf too, that's why it's so frustrating :lol:
Imagine if they'd actually built a decent amount of gameplay around it, instead of it being a dumb gimmick.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Sumez wrote:In my book, Twilight Princess is Ocarina of Time but better. It's not a perfect game, but the few shortcomings it has aren't exactly unique for the series.
The creativity and variation to the dungeons really elevates it.
I can agree with this, too. TP was actually the very first 3D-Zelda I had played in my life. When I played OoT much later (via the WW bonus disc), I liked it well enough, but it's definitely quite rough around the edges. I can see why it was considered groundbreaking at the time it came out, though.

Funnily enough, I kind of felt the same way with the 2D-Zeldas, as I played Link's Awakening before LttP and thought that the latter had some bits and pieces that weren't as refined as they should be.

TP also has double hookshots. DOUBLE HOOKSHOTS!
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

I started playing Starcraft again for the first time in about 20 years. The remastered update looks fantastic. It hasn't aged a bit and remains one of the best PC games ever made.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Currently trying to 1CC Gunstar Heroes on Expert (the Sega Genesis one, not the arcade Mega Play). I've got it mostly nailed down except for 3 trouble spots:

• The shmup stage is ridiculous without Flame + Lightning. It's so much easier to just block the bullets than to try and dodge everything, especially in the segments with the asteroids.

• The last Green fight is brutal without Flame + Lightning to just deflect his stars. Chaser + Flame works too.

• I got to Golden Silver with 157 Vitality and still couldn't secure the win. Ended up practicing the exploit where you can stand close enough and bait Golden Nuclear Blast where he'll constantly use it but can't hit you. Lets you drop him below 4500 health to phase 3 taking minimal damage, where he stops using Golden Blast Nuclear as well as Earth Resolver, and then just melees you. The sweet spot isn't actually too tough to find, when not shooting Fixed Shot's hair basically touches the edge of his large shoulderpad. I'll have to resort to this exploit to 1CC it next attempt, I just can't beat him in a straight up fight reliably unless he resorts to a lot of Earth Resolvers at a distance so I can just jump over them.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

y u playin dat metal slug ripoff
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

cuz I like the giant laser knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGtGF4dLjo

Got the clear on a run that did not go at all according to plan. Missed both life items in Green's stage and an accidental weapon pick, sloppy boss execution, then on the shmup stage I didn't manage to get a lightning item at all in the fifth stage. Ended up trying double Chaser for kicks and it surprisingly was decent up until the giant turret section where I had to eat a ton of damage figuring out the best way through. Didn't get a lightning item in the last level either, so couldn't do the exploit against Green, and had a really bad Pink Lobster fight. But I discovered an entirely new strat for Green - rapid tapping with Force + Flame to make the grenades explode in his face actually deflects a lot of the stars away that Green tosses as well as stunlocks him! Hooray!

Got the Golden Silver exploit right away, made it super easy to end him with the health I had left. Expert 1CC get.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Suikoden 1. Never really gave this a fair shake before, good game.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Suikoden 1. Never really gave this a fair shake before, good game.
Make sure you keep your savestate of it once cleared so you can load it up when starting 2 next. Makes another good game all the better.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:cuz I like the giant laser knife

Got the clear on a run that did not go at all according to plan. Missed both life items in Green's stage and an accidental weapon pick, sloppy boss execution, then on the shmup stage I didn't manage to get a lightning item at all in the fifth stage. Ended up trying double Chaser for kicks and it surprisingly was decent up until the giant turret section where I had to eat a ton of damage figuring out the best way through. Didn't get a lightning item in the last level either, so couldn't do the exploit against Green, and had a really bad Pink Lobster fight. But I discovered an entirely new strat for Green - rapid tapping with Force + Flame to make the grenades explode in his face actually deflects a lot of the stars away that Green tosses as well as stunlocks him! Hooray!

Got the Golden Silver exploit right away, made it super easy to end him with the health I had left. Expert 1CC get.
Damn. Nice. I haven't given GH a go in a few years and sure as hell haven't gotten an expert 1 CC.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It's very tough. I've tried for years and the shmnup level along with the final level are always major roadblocks.

I'm working on the JP Game Gear version next which I somehow miraculously picked up as a kid in a bargain bin at a dollar store. There were a bunch of loose GG carts that had been repackaged in cheap cardboard boxes with clear plastic, and when I saw the Gunstar Heroes logo on one with Japanese text I was blown away. Good thing it worked and wasn't region locked, cause I didn't know a thing about region locking then.

The GG version is unmistakably Gunstar Heroes. It's clearly rougher as you'd expect from a conversion to a weaker platform, but it has enough changes and unique things that it's fun playing. Seven Force only has 5 forms (lol) but they're all quite a bit different from before. You can't cheese Blaster Force, Crab Force is totally different (and will ram you if you get baited in to trying to move above or below it!). Orange is also much harder, and has a new attack where he stomps the helicopter, knocking you off if you're hanging from the heli. He's the last of the three bosses I do, I find him harder than Green's stage!

As I remembered, the fourth stage (no Black in the GG version :( ) is nuts. The main problem is Colonel Red; his grenades do 17 damage a pop and the hitboxes last approximately forever. He also fires about 3 times the number of grenades at a time as originally! Seriously, you can do a high jump over one, land well after it's exploded, and still get hit. I remembered him being a road block, and that explains why.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:cuz I like the giant laser knife

Good job, I've never 1CCed expert. I don't play a lot of gunstar heroes but I like to go with chaser + something else. Single chaser does shockingly high damage, far more than double chaser, so anything with a chaser involved is strong and easy to work with. Flame + chaser is good because you can attack passively with the chaser and attack aggressively with flame. The flame chaser combo is, I believe, the most damaging weapon in the game (tied with laser sword I think?) and can cancel bullets, though I find it a bit awkward to use. I'll have to try out the laser sword next time.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Single Chaser requires being at or near point blank range to do full damage though. Anything beyond that and Double Chaser is vastly more consistent due to the higher projectile speed. Flame + Lightning and Chaser + Flame are both exceptionally high damage shots with bullet cancel properties (and instantly cancel some special stuff like Crab Force, Green's star tossing, etc). Chaser + Flame is usually the big brain/speedrun weapon, but it's awkward to control. Both it and Flame + Lightning enable several cheese strats thanks to bullet cancelling. Flame + Force is very powerful all around as is single or double flame, though.

The tricky thing about Expert is the weapon rebalancing. Many weapons do only half or less than half normal damage on Expert, rendering them near useless. Force + Chaser actually becomes the weakest weapon in the game, doing an outrageously pathetic amount of damage on Expert.

GG version is unusual in that it nerfs several powerful options. Single flame and flame + lightning both have atrocious range now and are near worthless unless in pointblank range. Flame + chaser's damage now is quite sucky. As usual, Force + Flame is quite good, double Force, Force + Lightning and so on. Chaser + Force/Lightning/Chaser are also all good even on the highest difficulty (Hard).

Once I nab the GG 1cc will post a more detailed walkthrough/rundown of both versions on the main run 'n gun thread.

edit: clear here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGaHab2Jlc8
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sengoku 3.... usually, when playing an SNK brawler, I have this niggling sensation that I'm playing a lesser version of something Capcom have already done. Not so with this. Only plying around with the first three stages so far, but really enjoying this, and it looks glorious.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell