What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
lilmanjs

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by lilmanjs »

Remembered I actually own Outlast via a mystery GOG sale where you got a game at random from the entire library for $3. Not crazy scary, but the entire plot of the game is crazy messed up. Loved it though.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Treated myself to an Xbox One X after the recent price cut. Playing some Forza Horizon 4 over the weekend. Looks absolutely glorious in 4k, but I actually prefer it in 1080 at 60fps. Difinitely one of my favourite racing/driving games ever.

Picked up Panzer Dragoon Orta as my boxed copy seems to have vanished. Still holds up well, and looks surprisingly impressive.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

My local GameStop was going out of business just as the lockdown was hitting the city. Picked up a Switch Lite for $130 and have been playing Super Mario Odyssey and Animal Crossing since. AC varies between completely addictive and throwing in roadblocks that make me run out of stuff to do in 15 minutes. Unsure how long it'll last for me - I think the first day I skip playing will be the end of it all. Odyssey is great but I'm not sure if the number of moons is exciting or exhausting.

Otherwise, I grabbed Doom 64 on Steam and went through it this weekend as I've always been curious and never been willing to go through the trouble of playing the N64 release. It was a slow start (unsure if that was me getting into the groove, or the game just being slower paced until you hit Hell), but I didn't get any of the secret keys - strongly considering going back through and doing a full run on a higher difficulty. I also haven't gone into the extra act that was added to the rerelease so there's plenty of content left in this one, I think.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Madou Monogatari (Mega Drive)

Madou Monogatari is a first-person dungeon-crawling RPG that recently got an english fan translation. It's part of the series of RPGs that spun off into the better-known Puyo Puyo series of puzzle games. Madou Monogatari is the story of, Arle Nadja, a young sorceress, and her quest to graduate from magical kindergarten. To do so, she must reach the top of a tower while fighting enemies and solving puzzles. At the end she will be graded on how well she did which will determine whether she graduates.
Spoiler
The combat system is unique. All fights are 1v1 and you cast spells in real time by doing fighting game-style inputs. When not holding the incantation button you can make Arle block, crouch, or jump to defend against incoming attacks. You can't see how much health or magic you or your enemies have, as is the norm for the series. Instead you need to judge how well you're doing through descriptive text and Arle's facial expressions. Fights are basically damage races, but the action elements go a long way towards keeping them engaging. My favorite spell is diacute, the powerup spell, because you can cast it repeatedly to make your next spell freakishly strong. Another nice thing about it is that a diacute-boosted fire spell can never miss, even if it looks like the fire didn't touch their sprite. The only ways enemies can avoid damage from diacute-boosted fire is if they are immune to fire damage, or if you cast it while they're completely offscreen or otherwise in an invincible animation. One useful thing I didn't notice until I was a good ways in is that you can pause the game during a fight if you need to look up the inputs for all of the spells you know.
Spoiler
One interesting feature is that you can capture monsters and make them fight in your place. They all have their own distinct movesets. There's no way to look up what they can do, but all of their abilities take the same inputs as Arle's spells, so with a bit of experimentation you can get by. Captured enemies tend to be much weaker than Arle, and while they can provide a buffer against death by attrition, attrition isn't as much of a threat as burst damage. The best use I found for summoning is to use them to fight poisonous enemies because Arle needs to use items to recover from poison, while pets will immediately and fully recover after a fight so long as they survive.
Spoiler
The tower is fairly compact and there isn't much wasted space. There are a few nice features that make getting around more convenient. Arle can learn a warp spell that costs no magic and teleports her one floor above the spot she's standing. It doesn't work absolutely everywhere but it's pretty reliable. There are also two shortcuts back to floor 1, one about halfway up the tower and another near the top. These things are unfortunately a necessity because there there are quite a few times when you'll need to backtrack. Most floors expect you to solve a puzzle or two before advancing, they tend to be fairly easy. Sometimes you can skip ahead with warp, but being a level up or two behind the curve is a big disadvantage, and while you can warp up, there's no spell to go back down.
Spoiler
Arle needs to earn at least 90 points to graduate at the end of the game. There are 40 points for passing tests hidden througout the tower, 40 points for finding treasure chests, and 20 points for completing side quests. The tests ask for a variety of things. Cast a spell, deliver an item, capture a certain enemy type, arrive at the test site with full health and magic, stuff like that. The item deliveries are the worst and probably the overall worst part of the game. You want to carry a wide variety of items, even ones you otherwise wouldn't want, just in case a test asks for them. Likewise if you find a nice rare item you have to be careful about using it - wouldn't want to be stuck farming for another. Shops have finite inventories so even buyables shouldn't be used too freely. There's an item fusion mechanic and sometimes the test doesn't ask for the item by name, but instead requests that you deliver the item made by combining X and Y. Even if you have the item you might have to backtrack to the fusion NPC check. Best to just look up the answers in that case. Since you only need 90 to graduate, you can fortunately skip 10 of these and still get the good ending. The reward for 100/100 is unlocking the sound test, not a big deal. There are also three treasures hidden throughout the tower that permanently power Arle up. I don't believe they affect your grade, but you do will needs all three if you want the optional true last boss battle against Satan.
Spoiler
It's not bad. It's cute and a lot more feature-rich than I expected of a Mega Drive dungeon crawler.

B-
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

"Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark" is Final Fantasy Tactics 2.

A proper FFT2.

Eeeeee!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Marc

Post by Marc »

Played the demo of Wreckfest. It's basically Flatout Ultimate Carnage: Ultra HD Edition. That's one of my favourite racing games of all-time, so I can't wait to pick up the full game.

A few hours of Banjo Kazooie. It's so much better than Yooka-Laylee simply because of the compact size of the levels. 3D platformers seemed to run with the idea that bigger is better, and it just isn't, it's just filler in between the playable bits. I got pretty burned out on them around the end of the N64's lifespan, I'm sure I abandoned DK64 because of the obscene amount of shit there was to collect, and I'm not sure if I ever played Banjo-Tooie. I'm presuming I'm in for a disappointment after the original, but I'll give it a go.

Just about finished up with the original Doom. Brilliant up to the last chapter, but I'd forgotten how cheap it can get at times at that point - some of the monster closets at this point mean instant death if you're not expecting them. Don't think I've ever played the final chapter included with the Switch version, then I've got 2 and 64 to play through. I've still the 2016 version sat on the HD, but I've made two attempts and still can't get into the corridor / arena / corridor design. Feels more like a Painkiller / Serious Sam title than Doom.

I checked my JPN Switch account yesterday (keep waiting for Esprade to hit the sales), and was pretty made up to spot that not only did I have 200 points lying around, but Double Dragon 4 and a Guily Gear (Accent Core) of some description were on sale for 100 points each.

I really need to stop buying Switch stuff. Which I will, after Sunset Riders.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Banjo-Tooie has huge levels, and definitely a lot of filler. Yooka-Laylee? Not really as much.

Still, I'd say Tooie is DK64 done right.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sumez wrote:Banjo-Tooie has huge levels, and definitely a lot of filler. Yooka-Laylee? Not really as much.

Still, I'd say Tooie is DK64 done right.
I enjoyed the time I spent with YL, but from the ice level on things just seemed spread too thin for my liking.
I need to go back and see if Rocket: Robot on Wheels is still as enjoyable. I remember being annoyed at the time that the Rare games got all the plaudits, this was rammed with ideas and really quite varied for a 3D platformer. That's how I remember it of course.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I never even heard of that game. Interesting.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Sumez wrote:I never even heard of that game. Interesting.
IIRC that was the very first release by Sucker Punch, the Sly Cooper guys. I played it a bit years ago, but not enough to offer any thoughts worth reading on it.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I've been playing more Bayonetta lately, doing a Little King Zero run (the character that dies in 2 hits normally, 3 at full double health bars). Just finished up with the superboss, for amusement I grinded the 10,000,000 halos immediately in Chapter 2's easy Alfheim then tried the superboss, got curbstomped. "Oh right, Bat Within and Panther Within are pretty damn helpful." Went to Chapter 5, then after numerous attempts spanked the superboss's butt Shuraba + Scarborough Fair style.

Little King Zero sucks. The biggest reason isn't the complete lack of health, but rather how the innate Infernal Communicator property limits you to 2 butterflies with Pulley's Butterfly, and worst of all forces you to delay re-enabling it by making you wait first for Infernal Communicator to turn of before you can re-apply Pulley's Butterfly (instead of allowing you to re-apply Pulley's Butterfly immediately if Infernal Communicator or Sergei's Lover are already active, and turn them off if you hold the input for an extended length of time as normal.)

Next up: Lost Chapter as Little King Zero. Will try to limit myself to "normal" weapons instead of outrageously cheesy strats like TUBASPIN 2 WIN or offscreen AI exploit + Pillow Talk, but may just use the overpowered weapons to plough through if LKZ's Pulley's Butterfly issues prove to be too much for me.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I waggled my butt for a good 5+ hours yesterday in Yakuza 5.

Honestly, I kinda want to play a full blown idol game now. I'm such trash.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Started Dino Crisis again from the beginning.

The first time I played it way back when, my save file was lost to a bad PSX memory card and I rage-quit/refused to play it again from scratch until now. It's so easy to insta-die from one of those raptors.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Somehow the Game & Watch versions of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. appeal to me more than any other Mario game I've played.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

They are kinda good, honestly. Those are the ones I made sure to grab early on. Though Donkey Kong II specifically (the dual-screen one) rather than Donkey Kong Jr.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Game and Watch DK is good stuff. I also have the table top DK Junior (as well as its panoramic handheld version), which is different from the standard gray and white handheld version.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

It's admittedly pretty impressive that Nintendo managed to make three different Game & Watch games based on different aspects of the same arcade game.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BIL

Post by BIL »

Stevens wrote:My wife is hoarding fish in Animal Crossing. Her house looks like a fish store.
Immryr wrote:i really don't get animal crossing. seems a bit like a capitalist skinnerbox nightmare version of boku no natsuyasumi.
kitten wrote:i don't know if i'd necessarily say animal crossing's politics are inherently capitalist or not. there's a lot of ways in which they obviously are, especially from a superficial perspective, but the game seems to also believe in things like never being pressured to actually pay off loans, land and space for everyone, communal respect & ethics, etc. you also like, sell bugs and fish or make little things as your source of income - industry is hardly ever championed and sometimes seems actively suggested to be bad.

something interesting is that the series director considers tom nook quite the nice person, and i'm very curious if his original north american localization as a bit of an asshole lording his loan over your head was actually in the original text. either way, nook's no longer characterized like he used to be, and the game has the friendliest tone it has ever had, in general, in this installment. he's supposed to act as a motivator, not a landlord or loan shark (you never pay rent, you're never charged interest, etc.). he also lets you pay your initial home off in this game with a virtual points system you get just for doing things around the island and then asks for permission for every loan to increase the size of your home in this one. it kind of begs the question - what the hell is the psychology around him?

as for it being a skinnerbox... i mean, i suppose it depends on how you play it and how much you actively despise activity loops and their intricately intersecting and softly lubricated gears constantly turning around you. you can find yourself trapped like an insect and moving from one to another with an endless amount of things to do, but i think the real charm in this game is in the non-standard goals. furniture arranging, design creation, dress-up, niceties like sending friends & fellow villagers happy little letters about how you appreciate them. i tolerate - i mean, maybe it's better to say actively enjoy - the skinnerbox bullshit because it's all stuff that adds onto those things that matter more to me. if you talk to almost anyone who sticks with these games, it's the little things they always talk about loving the most, and the game is bulging a the seams with capacity to facilitate "the little things."
mycophobia wrote:i liek to buy Clothes
Sumez wrote:I thought Nook's asshole loan shark/landlord persona was mostly a meme thing due to that being has obvious role in the Animal Crossing environment. I've never gotten that approach from his actual personality in either of the games I've played (GC and DS ones)
AYKSHUALLY Image Animal Crossing is TOXIC and promotes jealousy IRL Image

Thought that was an April Fool's joke tbh. Blows my mind doods. Image
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Finished Fragile Dreams on the Wii; as a largely exploration-focused game with a smattering of RPG and horror elements it's not the usual sort of title I'm interested in, and honestly had to push myself to finish. The combat is pretty lousy, the camera can be a pain, inventory management is a near-constant hassle, long stretches of nothing to slog through, and while I don't doubt that the localization team did the best they could with whatever resources they were allocated (I can't imagine anyone up the food chain would have thought this one was going to sell very well, and they were surely right), I still had a constant, nagging feeling that there was a lot I was missing.

But.

At the end of the day, this game lives or dies depending on how much its vision of a post-human world resonates with you, and for me it was enough to push me through the myriad weak points. Even on the Wii the visuals in particular give the setting, especially early on, a haunting beauty that even something like Horizon Zero Dawn doesn't quite achieve; how much enjoyment you get from this experience is directly proportional to how much time you're willing to spend peering into nooks and crannies just to scope out what the artists and designers bothered to put there, since there's little "tangible" payoff otherwise. In terms of story there are some genuinely affecting moments sprinkled in too, though not nearly as many as I would have hoped, partially, I'd guess, due the the admittedly challenging localization, which would have been a tall order to get right no matter how much time or money was available. At the end of the day, it just feels like someone really did have a vivid, breathing concept they wanted to see realized, and it's hard not to appreciate that on some level, even if reality struck rather hard when translating it into game form.

Finally, although this will make BIL, in full heart sunglasses and F*** YOU t-shirt regalia, bust through the walls of my house Kool-Aid Man style, snatch my Man Card, tear it up in front of me and make me eat the fragments, that opening theme...man, I just sit there enrapt and glassy-eyed every time I hear it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BulletMagnet wrote:Finally, although this will make BIL, in full heart sunglasses and F*** YOU t-shirt regalia, bust through the walls of my house Kool-Aid Man style, snatch my Man Card, tear it up in front of me and make me eat the fragments, that opening theme...man, I just sit there enrapt and glassy-eyed every time I hear it.
You wound me BulletMagnet! (;`ω´;) Never have I made any secret of bawling my eyes out at the ending of Klonoa!

It is when our fellow men are reduced to blubbering, whiny wrecks over HARD GAMING that we must object! Image

(also, I'm moved that you not only recall both of my old faithful avatars, but combined them into the vision I've always had in mind! Image I think I'll fire up the ol' photoshop!)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BIL wrote:I'm moved that you not only recall both of my old faithful avatars, but combined them into the vision I've always had in mind!
I always just figured you dressed like that in real life. At least while in Enforcer Mode (press B, Y, Left, Start at title screen).
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Damn Fragile dreams looks like my cuppa
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

BIL wrote:
No way. That has to be a joke. If you feel inadequate over a video game you have other issues. You could also, you know, not look at the game on the internet.

I have rather enjoyed watching her play, the whole thing is very cute and I love the slow pace of it. Will I actually play it? No. It's not really in my wheelhouse.
Last edited by Stevens on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My lord, I have come for you.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Stevens wrote:
BIL wrote:
No way. That has to be a joke. If you feel inadequate over a video game you have other issues.

I have rather enjoyed watching her play, the whole thing is very cute and I love the slow pace of it. Will I actually play it? No. It's not really in my wheelhouse.
Have you read people's meltdowns over Sekiro? Humanity is fucked.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Stevens wrote:
BIL wrote:
No way. That has to be a joke. If you feel inadequate over a video game you have other issues.

Have you read people's meltdowns over Sekiro? Humanity is fucked.
If you're talking about Sekiro needing an easy mode then yes.

This was my favorite response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tso8u4OJLuI
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Stevens wrote:This was my favorite response:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tso8u4OJLuI
Instant subscribe. Treasure your nervous systems, you healthy fucks!

I had to really check up and down to make sure that Polygon article wasn't an April Fool's, and honestly, I'm still not totally convinced it isn't.

Times like this though, I have to remind myself that when it comes to modern games journalism and its orbiters, there is simply no bottom. :shock:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Stevens wrote: If you feel inadequate over a video game you have other issues.
Dunno man I've had some pretty nasty feelsbad moments at tournaments.
But that's what you get when you step into a competitive scene, you either practice and improve or quit..

Also I tell ya where I feel inadequate.. Minecraft builds!
My friend builds these giant ass autistic castles with amazing architecture. Yet I turn the inner eye to myself and find zero creativity. that blows!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote: Times like this though, I have to remind myself that when it comes to modern games journalism and its orbiters, there is simply no bottom. :shock:
Ah the ol' Cuphead thing. I think that was taken largely out of context. I Don't think it was ever supposed to be a serious review.
The guy even posted the video himself saying as an "i suck lol"

imo it got caught in the zeitgeist of calls for easier/more accessible modes and the gamergate style uproar response.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/09/08/the- ... neth-over/

the dude's also quite old.

You want a fucking stupid cunty (but not that much LOL) review of Cuphead, look no further than Laura Kate Dale..
BIL

Post by BIL »

I was going to add, it's not so much Dean Takahashi's sub-pigeon tutorial fiasco, as it was the whining about "toxic gamers" afterward. The internet being full of shit people is bad enough without them being coalesced into a shit cudgel every time a journalist gets razzed for being bad at their job. Didn't help that he'd previously shat on Mass Effect after ignoring that game's mechanics too, and pontificated at length about X-COM 2's difficulty and its disturbing implications. I consider the disgusted reaction to his Cuphead floundering a case of preemptive bitch-slapping. :lol:

But yeah, the other charlatan was indeed a lot more overt with the self-promoting BS, as is LKD's wont. "I PLAY CONTRA AND MEGAMAN, MUH OPINIONZ R SOUND"

Not to turn this into the dreaded GG 2.0 thread. I'm still under contract to Ms. Wu until the end of 2020. Pls, donate generously. Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BIL wrote: as is LKD's wont. "I PLAY CONTRA AND MEGAMAN, MUH OPINIONZ R SOUND"
and don't forget.. " I'M NO STRANGER TO PIXEL PERFECT PARRIES, I'VE PLAYED THIRD STRIKE "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

..and the parry timing window in Cuphead is SO lax. you can press it years before something hits you. In fact, i'll be she was pressing the button too late.