What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Stevens

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Stevens »

In the last three weeks I have played Noita for 77 hours. 77.

I have never amassed that kind of playtime with a game over a period ever. It is one of the most unique games I have ever played.

I've completed the most basic ending once, the other 200 or so runs have ended in my death. The exploration takes me back to being a kid. The sheer amount of wands, flasks, spells, and perks is staggering. The things you find shape how my run will play out. Oh I got this great spell that lets me flood the screen, a lightning ball, an electric immunity perk, and a perk that lets me breathe underwater? Let the deluge commence. Flood the entire screen with water, watch your enemies gasp for breath, and then bid them farewell as you turn the pool of water into ole' sparky.

That is just one example out of hundreds I've had the opportunity to play through. This isn't me playing, but here is an example of what I just described:

https://youtu.be/UCApj-TNUMI?t=1111

Look at that pile of bodies at the end:D

It is still in early access, but man does it feel pretty complete. Someone else jump in!
My lord, I have come for you.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Been playing Nethack.

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Monster Train is legit.

Deckbuilder roguelite somewhat similar to Slay the Spire, but a little closer to Magic: the Gathering in practice than an StS's blobber-RPG-esque combat.

Much more beginner-friendly than StS, but then I've only played the bottom 2 difficulties out of 13.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Final Fantasy VII Remake must be doing something right, because I can't stop playing it.

Put over 60 hours into the game now, and two chapters from beating all of them on Hard Mode. The combat system has its issue, but as long as things work as they are supposed to, it's actually surprisingly well crafted and enjoyable.

I hope part 2's postgame will make it easier to go around and fight stuff without having to deal with replaying dull, slow moving story segments. It's fine for the first playthrough though, as storytelling is one of the things the game absolutely excels at.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Gravel
Was reading a comment thread on a Eurogamer article about arcade racers, and someone mentioned it as being similar to Sega Rally Revo. I’d written it off as another mid-tier Milestone racer, but when it dropped to £6.00 in the current PSN sale, I was sufficiently interested to give it a go. Got to say, I’m very glad I did. Control-wise there are a few assists available, and with all of them on full, it’s a proper arcade experience – point the car in the right direction, oversteer on every corner, and brake on only the sharpest of corners. I had a bit of a play around, and with everything turned off it’s far too much toward the simcade side of things for me. On medium settings, it still allows you to spin out and requires a bit of finesse rather than just point and go, but it’s still very much an arcade racer. It’s a bit slippery in certain vehicles, but it’s got that nice lovely SR drifting thing going on, I can see why it was compared to Revo.
Graphically it’s a bit odd, there are odd courses that look quite spectacular, and others that look literally no better than late PS2 / early 360 stuff, and the frame rate has the occasion hiccup and stutter. Music got turned straight off.
Honestly, I’d recommend at this price point for sure, had a lot of fun over the weekend with this.

The Punisher
I’ve been going through the Capcom belt-scrollers, and after a bit of playing around this seems to be the one I think I might be able to make a bit of progress with. It’s more manoeuvrable than the earlier stuff, but the first few levels at least don’t seem quite as overwhelming as AvP.

Judgement
It’s taken longer to get into that the Yakuza games, but I’m enjoying it now. Combat seems less strategic than Yakuza though, I don’t think I’ve come close to losing a fight yet, and I haven’t found myself having to really use the full range of moves available.
Also I was drunk when I started the drone racing, and I don’t know how the hell to turn off the shitty motion controls.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Onimusha dawn of dreams

This game is too excessive with this weapon and item stuff. Level up, combat skills, weapons, and armor must be maxed up separately what the hell why not just done via level up alone like most action RPGs. Not to mention EACH weapon and armor for five playable characters have it's own level up stat, this is really bad filler to me and I'd rather use Gameshark codes because no time to deal with them.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

With all this Silent Hill talk, thinking about finishing the series. I've had the first game forever, but slept on the others.

Question for all you Silent Hill aficionados: Is there any reason to get the PS2 version of 2 over the xbox? Seems like the PS2 version is 3 times the cost.
benstylus

Post by benstylus »

vol.2 wrote:With all this Silent Hill talk, thinking about finishing the series. I've had the first game forever, but slept on the others.

Question for all you Silent Hill aficionados: Is there any reason to get the PS2 version of 2 over the xbox? Seems like the PS2 version is 3 times the cost.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/silent-h ... box.27774/

Short version, the PS2 Greatest Hits version is considered the best due to better quality graphical effects and fmv.

However, the Xbox version has all the gameplay content as the PS2 Greatest hits version if you don't mind slightl less impressive lighting and fog.

The black label PS2 version doesn't have all the content the other two have, so if you're big on Silent Hill, skip that one.
You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it. I'm prepared to call that cowardice.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

This completely blindsided me, I had NO idea Silent Hill games were expensive now. Holy shit!
(looks like all ps1/ps2 SH games fetch a good price)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Yeah, I only have the original release of SH2, not the Greatest Hits one with the Born From A Wish scenario + extra ending. All the prices appear to be ridiculously inflated. :(

Note that if you get the Xbox version that it doesn't run properly on Xbox 360. Its emulation has texturing issues apparently and the PS2 remains the superior version. That, or the PC version with the fanmade enhanced release that fixes issues with the original PC release.

Does the PC release of SH3 detect if you have a SH2 savefile for the easter eggs the way the PS2 version does?

I replayed SH2 and SH3 on Normal to derust; SH2's basement hallway run is apparently the nastiest bit of Hard mode due to Maria dying in 3 hits. Will have to try Hard soon. SH3 was going well, ammo is much tighter in it due to the focus on melee (thanks to much improved melee controls), but I ended up tossing the 3rd party PS2 controller I was using (this TTX one). The d-pad hit diagonals way too easily, and the analog stick had dead spots in the diagonals where you'd just stop moving. Ick. I ended up beating Borley Haunted Mansion 1st try no issues (yay Ampoule stamina) only to immediately fall off a ledge afterwards because d-pad decided WE'RE TURNIN LEFT NOW whilst running near a pit. So much for that run. May retry SH3 with pipe-only or something to spice things up.

As I'm saving my original Dualshock 2's for when guests come over for multiplayer to make em last as long as possible, I picked up a Hyperkin brand PS2 controller. It's actually great, feels solid and the D-Pad is alarmingly accurate for a 3rd party controller. Precise, though not quite as good at hitting diagonals as a SNES controller, it's perfect for games where hitting the 4 cardinal directions accurately is key or where you don't need to hit diagonals frequently, and the rest of the buttons and sticks feel great. Great for the 2D Tales of games.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Interesting. Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'd be okay with the black label and it looks like it's going for a bit less consistently. (not huge difference, but it's something)

Is the fog really different on the regular XBOX version? I remember that was a thing for RE4 on the Gamecube VS on the PS2. (the PS2 version got rid of the fog and it looked crappier) But I don't ever remember hearing about the XBOX version of SH2 doing away with the fog.

The reviews I have read specifically mention that the fog is gone in the HD remake of 2 for the 360, but some of the contemporary reviews of 2 for OG Xbox go out of their way to point out that it's identical to the PS2 version.
Marc

Post by Marc »

It's been a while, but I don't remember any visual differences between PS2 and Xbox? Replayed SH2 on Xbox a year or two back, and the fog seems much as I remember it?
benstylus

Post by benstylus »

Replaying Super Mario 3D Land. I recently learned that you can get sparkly profile stars if you never see the shiny super leaf (by dying 5 times in a level). I looked at my existing stars and they were not shiny. So started a new profile and got them.

Been a few years since I played it, so it's almost like playing it again for the first time. Lots of stuff I didn't remember.
You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it. I'm prepared to call that cowardice.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Marc wrote:It's been a while, but I don't remember any visual differences between PS2 and Xbox? Replayed SH2 on Xbox a year or two back, and the fog seems much as I remember it?
I looked up various reviews of the Xbox original release of Silent Hill 2, the one subtitled Restless Dreams that had the new scenario featuring Maria, and the reviews I've skimmed have all praised the quality of the port. The only complaints I've seen about it are that it's not properly compatible with Xbox 360 due to not being emulated well. If it had been a bad port in the way the HD collection is abysmal, I'm sure it would've gotten more fanfare, so I'd say the Xbox port of SH2, played on the original Xbox, is probably a pretty solid port, even if there might be some minor graphical differences from the PS2 hardware.

The worst review of the port I found was a dumb 4/10 review on GameFAQs who admits that literally his only complaint is that he doesn't see why the game merited a port/re-release to the Xbox, and he doesn't like the Xbox controller. He praises the quality of the graphics on the port, the improved loading times, doesn't fault the game itself in any way, and only rates the port low because he's petty and myopically assumes everyone at the time owned a PS2 like he did.

So yeah, it's probably a good port.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote: I looked up various reviews of the Xbox original release of Silent Hill 2, the one subtitled Restless Dreams that had the new scenario featuring Maria, and the reviews I've skimmed have all praised the quality of the port.
That was what I found.

As an aside, I read through the afore-linked neogaf thread from 2004, in which they were tearing the versions apart, and it doesn't even seem like there was a solid consensus about it. There was a mention of "inferior fog effects" and "improper filtering" on "some" textures.
Honestly, I think that their analysis is probably mostly rubbish. If I had to guess, the main difference is that the XBOX version is 480p, and it probably looks somewhat softer as a result. I going to assume that the neogaf crowd was most likely using progressive scan equipment if the game supported it, and they would be comparing what they perceived to be the "best" possible quality out of either version at the time.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Hotshots Racing! There's very little to say because it is exactly what's it's pitched as - a poly tribute to Sega / Namco racers of old. 16 courses, 8 drivers with 4 selectable vehicles each - they feel slightly different on the road, but not so much so that there's any real period of adjustment, and massive powerslides. The drifting feels good, a bit more twitchy that Outrun 2, but in the same vein. The courses are all quite wide to accommodate this, so although it's great fun in arcade mode, I'm not sure how well it would translate to time attack, it seems (at least the first two cups) like they may be a little too simplistic. It's good stuff and it looks glorious. The only slight disconnect I have with the visuals is that the art style aims for a certain point in time, but the screen is so much busier than in any of those titles that it looks slightly odd, in the nicest possible way.
BIL

Post by BIL »

^^^ damn, that looks good... kind of a Virtua Racing on roids. I see Sumo Digital are involved too, always a good sign. Might have to pick that one up!
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

Recently started playing Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (my first foray into MH games) and it's pretty overwhelming but still fun. There's so many systems to be aware of and playstyles to choose from, it's hard to know if you're doing anything right at first. And this seems to be a game of optimisation. I haven't tried all the weapon types or hunter classes yet, but I'm enjoying the Hunters Horn and Aerial styles right now. If anyone has any 'stuff you should know that the game doesn't tell you' type tips, that would be great.
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

I'm playing Blazing Chrome. This song is amazing. https://youtu.be/fd4BBm6erxM
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

I had been playing Serious Sam: Second Encounter in anticipation of Serious Sam 4 coming out in 2 weeks. Unlike the first, I never finished the second except with cheat codes. Coming back, I remember why, the level design in Second Encounter is heinous.

When I replay First Encounter I'm filled with nostalgia and joy at all the classic moments, even Kleer alley. But replaying Second Encounter it's just "ugh, THIS bouncy room, ugh, THAT gravity room" over and over again.

Plus while in concept the new weapons fill some holes in the arsenal, in practice they ruin things. The chainsaw is a hard counter to the suicide frogs, as long as you keep them in front of you they can keep coming and coming and you'll pop them all harmlessly. The flamethrower was better in memory than in practice. And the sniper rifle, as wonderful a gun as it is, allows the level designers to do incredibly annoying things like place hitscanning scorpions 2 miles away on a distant tower. So many times a battle would start and I'd be frantically scoping around the battlefield looking for 3 pixels of red or green so I could find the shooter.

The skinless dudes are just more bulletspongey versions of the beheaded soldiers, the pumpkin guy is just a more bulletspongey version of the kleer skeletons, and the dual-rockets guy is just a major bio mechanoid who leads his shots.

So I just redownloaded First Encounter and I'm having an absolute blast just playing through the Karnak demo. I also like how FE starts out seeming like it's going to be a quake-style corridor shooter, then gradually opens up more and more to absolute madness, while SE just lazily gives you wide open corridor after wide open corridor punctuated by FPS jumping puzzles over spike rooms.

Fingers crossed Serious Sam 4 resembles First Encounter more than Second.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The Mega Man Anniversary Collection for the PS2 is... weird. It's nice to have access to the first 8 games on one platform especially if you didn't get to pick any up on their original consoles, but the emulation for the NES games doesn't seem to use their original audio. It's like it's playing MP3 tracks or something for the music as if you wait long enough in a stage the music fades out before coming back on again, as if the music doesn't loop properly. Mega Man 8 is the PS1 version and not the Sega Saturn version with the extra content, and worse is that the controls cannot be remapped at all, unlike the original Mega Man 8. They simply removed the options menu altogether! Still, it was the first official way people could play the CPS2 arcade games at home so it's a good game to own for that I guess.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Aren't the Mega Man 1-6 on the PS2 collection just straight up the PS1 ports?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Quite possibly. I know they have built in rapid fire on the Triangle button and built in (no menu needed) weapon switching on L1 and R1.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Mega Man 6 in the anniversary collection uses the original Japanese tune for the intro. It seems out of sync compared to the US NES cart.
Marc

Post by Marc »

BIL wrote:^^^ damn, that looks good... kind of a Virtua Racing on roids. I see Sumo Digital are involved too, always a good sign. Might have to pick that one up!
So I finished up the cups on normal, and was left with an enjoyable if not earth-shattering impression.
Then I started on hard, and it improves the game a thousandfold. I'm quite annoyed that they've put in normal really, because I can see a lot dropping it once they've completed that and they certainly aren't going to be left with a true impression of the game.

It's faster, which in turn makes sense of the previously slightly over-sensitive drifting, the CPU opponents are absolute arseholes, and the whole thing changes from enjoyable tribute to 'shit I'd love to play this in a cab of its own', it's THAT good.

Still having fun spotting all the little call-outs to other racers. We've got VR's suspension bridge, a dinosaur-themed track, one that could almost be a Peach's Castle circuit, and the underwater tunnel from Stunt Race FX is particularly nice.
guigui

Post by guigui »

For sure Hotshot Racing is on my radar, maybe waiting for a little price drop.

The experts at RollingStart.com (hey Ghegs ;)) say that Inertial Drift is actually better, at least in terms of replay value and commitment needed to improve. Did you try it marc ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Bugger me biscuit, forgot all about Rolling Start. :o Inertial Drift sounds good! Think I'll nab that too, I'm the sort who could play VR, Daytona and Sega Rally until the end of time but it's undeniably satisfying to see new games in this style.
Marc wrote:So I finished up the cups on normal, and was left with an enjoyable if not earth-shattering impression.
Then I started on hard, and it improves the game a thousandfold. I'm quite annoyed that they've put in normal really, because I can see a lot dropping it once they've completed that and they certainly aren't going to be left with a true impression of the game.

It's faster, which in turn makes sense of the previously slightly over-sensitive drifting, the CPU opponents are absolute arseholes, and the whole thing changes from enjoyable tribute to 'shit I'd love to play this in a cab of its own', it's THAT good.

Still having fun spotting all the little call-outs to other racers. We've got VR's suspension bridge, a dinosaur-themed track, one that could almost be a Peach's Castle circuit, and the underwater tunnel from Stunt Race FX is particularly nice.
Sold, there's me weekend sorted. :mrgreen: Sounds like they contended well with the mainstream's classic SUPEREASY/SUPERHARD Catch-22 re arcade-styled gaming. Image
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Mega Man ps2 collection is 480i and that alone was enough for me to toss it into the bin.. I mean COMMON the blue bomber needs to be enjoyed in crisp 240p. or at leat 480p for flat panel. not that blurry-ass mess... I think there's bilinear filtering on top of it. I remember the picture being a bit of a letdown when I first put in the disc, enough that my enthusiasm for playing that collection vanished

I member the emulation not being super good either, for the very little I played(admitedly)

IDK, personally for me Mega Man is indisociable from standard def crt picture, maybe that's why I'm more picky about it. YMMV
Last edited by FinalBaton on Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sumez wrote:Final Fantasy VII Remake must be doing something right, because I can't stop playing it.
Kept on going until I have every single Achievement/Trophy in the game (including the BS about seeing three different dresses on each character). That's a first for any PS4 game for me.
It's just such a satisfying game. The boss fights seem chaotic and annoying when you first play them, but the more times you have to go through them, the better you get at anticipating the various patterns, and how to deal with them, and you can just roll through the fights like it's nothing. Hard Mode Hell House dragged me around the first time I played it, but due to a stupid mistake as well as silly achievement hunts I ended up having to beat it five times, and I think each time I had more fun with it than the previous.
I almost wish there were more excuses to replay boss fights, and I definitely wish you didn't have to drag through all the story sequences to get to just one.

So I finally moved on to Paper Mario: The Origami King, and honestly, that's also a super good game. I recall its reception being kinda mixed, with most people going about the usual "It's not TTYD", and the most positive remarks being that people liked it, but it's not particularly memorable.

Well I think it's incredibly memorable. I'm probably around halfway, and so far it's just been an enjoyable and fun feast all the way. The humor ranges from amusing to hilarious, the game's world is a ton of fun to explore, the combat puzzles are engaging, and the soundtrack is brilliant. Nintendo really are wizards.
Marc

Post by Marc »

guigui wrote:For sure Hotshot Racing is on my radar, maybe waiting for a little price drop.

The experts at RollingStart.com (hey Ghegs ;)) say that Inertial Drift is actually better, at least in terms of replay value and commitment needed to improve. Did you try it marc ?
I've not yet, with Spelunky 2 (can't wait to get home) and Mario All-Stars dropping this month, I could only really afford one of them, and the minute I saw the shots for Hotshots I was pretty much sold to be honest. I've no doubt whatsoever that I'll grab it at some point though.
Sumez wrote: It's just such a satisfying game. The boss fights seem chaotic and annoying when you first play them, but the more times you have to go through them, the better you get at anticipating the various patterns, and how to deal with them, and you can just roll through the fights like it's nothing. Hard Mode Hell House dragged me around the first time I played it, but due to a stupid mistake as well as silly achievement hunts I ended up having to beat it five times, and I think each time I had more fun with it than the previous.
I almost wish there were more excuses to replay boss fights, and I definitely wish you didn't have to drag through all the story sequences to get to just one.

So I finally moved on to Paper Mario: The Origami King, and honestly, that's also a super good game. I recall its reception being kinda mixed, with most people going about the usual "It's not TTYD", and the most positive remarks being that people liked it, but it's not particularly memorable.

Well I think it's incredibly memorable. I'm probably around halfway, and so far it's just been an enjoyable and fun feast all the way. The humor ranges from amusing to hilarious, the game's world is a ton of fun to explore, the combat puzzles are engaging, and the soundtrack is brilliant. Nintendo really are wizards.
Glad to hear about FFVII, I was a little surprised that nobody else here seemed to bother if I'm honest.
Hell House wrecked me on normal for a while, but was very satisfying when I figured it out. Combat is absolutely superb once it clicks IMO, I'm so glad they kept the Materia system in. Shame I'll have to upgrade to play the next parts as I've no real intention at the moment, unless the Arcade Archive series moves to those consoles.

I'm intrigued with Origami King now, I did indeed let talk of a slightly lacking battle system put me off and cancelled my order.
Although I'm getting to the point now where unless I'm 100% about a game it's madness to even bother I've got that much on the go.