What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
kaicooper

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by kaicooper »

playing THE WARRIORS on ps2 emu

oh the nostalgia..this game never gets old
such a fantastic game..rockstr should remaster it for actual PC with some shadows and imporvment
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

kaicooper wrote:playing THE WARRIORS on ps2 emu

oh the nostalgia..this game never gets old
such a fantastic game..rockstr should remaster it for actual PC with some shadows and imporvment
CANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU DIGGGGGGGGGGG ITTTTTTT?
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I cannot dig it....
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Immryr wrote:what do you mean you finished MHW? the story is just a long tutorial. the real game is farming tempered monsters and elder dragons for decorations and augmentations.
That sounds incredibly boring. A friend keeps trying to get me into it but it sounds like it's a combination of all the things that bore me to death.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Dragon Quest VI (DS)
Dungeons are kinda obtuse, and the high encounter rate only gets worse with the crappy battle theme. Rest of the game seems decent enough, though, so I'll try to keep at it.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Fight'N Rage
Bought this beat 'em up on sale for 10 bucks and having a blast. Love the presentation and controls. Interesting world it's set in too, with many different branding paths. Amazing that one guy did the whole thing, apart from the score (which is excellent).

Well recommended if you like beat'em ups.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Mischief Maker wrote:
Marc wrote:Yooka-Laylee. [...] dreadful camera
They added an improved camera in the patch, but for some reason didn't make it the default. You can switch to the better camera scheme in the options menu.
It's absurd really. The default camera is terrible in every way, but the other option is completely problem free. Why would anyone not make that the only option?

I really enjoyed Yooka-Laylee.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Finally finished Heretic's 5th and final episode on smite meister.

Glad to have that slogfest out of the way!
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Going back to Fire Emblem Awakening for another playthrough. <3

Need to finish Kiwami 2 still, got a bit annoyed at a couple things but should have it done within the next week.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Blinge wrote:Finally finished Heretic's 5th and final episode on smite meister.

Didn't you enjoy it? I kinda wanted to give it a try sometime in the future.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Space Channel 5

Is it just me, or is input lag still pretty bad in the latest release of DEmul?

Space Channel 5: Ulala's Cosmic Attack

You know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel when even mGBA refuses to run your game.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Cadash on the PC engine is taking my time up at present.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

How does that compare to the arcade and MegaDrive versions?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Sumez wrote:
Mischief Maker wrote:
Marc wrote:Yooka-Laylee. [...] dreadful camera
They added an improved camera in the patch, but for some reason didn't make it the default. You can switch to the better camera scheme in the options menu.
It's absurd really. The default camera is terrible in every way, but the other option is completely problem free. Why would anyone not make that the only option?

I really enjoyed Yooka-Laylee.
Yeah I'm using the free one, but it keeps getting stuck on stuff then refusing to budge. Had to restart a few times.
I'm enjoying though. It feels a lot more sprawling that Odyssey - though I wouldn't call any Odyssey's levels 'small' as such, this just feels more expansive, though less focussed. I remember it getting a ton of middling reviews but after five hours or so I really can't see why - it delivers exactly what the devs promised. Some lovely graphics there as well, while I'm not a fan of the 'slap a pair of eyes on it and give it a silly name' approach, some of the views from the pinnacle of a world are really impressive.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Sumez wrote:How does that compare to the arcade and MegaDrive versions?

I haven't played the MD version so I couldn't say,

I prefer the PCE version compared to the arcade as there is no time limit ( I hate being rushed :D )
and it's easier. It's a good port and worth picking up **everdrive, cough**
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ruldra wrote:
Blinge wrote:Finally finished Heretic's 5th and final episode on smite meister.

Didn't you enjoy it? I kinda wanted to give it a try sometime in the future.
It's just inferior to doom.
The weapons are so underpowered, I feel weak and not badass.
Feel like Doom/2/final gets the balance right, with how quickly you and the enemies can wreck each other.

Also the sprite explosions/visible projectiles when you shoot an enemy with the two main rapidfire guns, Dragon Claw and Hellstaff, take up so much of the screen that it's hard to see the shots coming at you. sometimes they're completely obscured.

Episode 4 had some great design, i think.
The final final level was cathartic, too.
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Anyone knows how CrossCode stacks up to something like Ys Origin or Oath?
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Breaking the Binding of Isaac for its latest cheeves..

what's going on here?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

garrz32 wrote:
Sumez wrote:How does that compare to the arcade and MegaDrive versions?

I haven't played the MD version so I couldn't say,

I prefer the PCE version compared to the arcade as there is no time limit ( I hate being rushed :D )
and it's easier. It's a good port and worth picking up **everdrive, cough**
Did WD do any of their usual "tweaking" when bringing the TG-16 Cadash to the US?
Last edited by BrianC on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

never played THE THING since 2002
i remember playing little then stopped

so now playing again on PC with Reshade
it looks fantastic but hope they remake it
with better engine
Steamflogger Boss

FE Awakening is such a masterpiece. I almost forgot for a second lol.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

I've played every prior game in the series (and am currently in the middle of a Fates Conquest playthrough) but haven't actually gotten around to Awakening yet. Once I've finished Fates, I'll definitely have to give Awakening a shot - Fire Emblem is one of my favorite series.
Steamflogger Boss

Sir Ilpalazzo wrote:I've played every prior game in the series (and am currently in the middle of a Fates Conquest playthrough) but haven't actually gotten around to Awakening yet. Once I've finished Fates, I'll definitely have to give Awakening a shot - Fire Emblem is one of my favorite series.
Hell yeah, same here.

Awakening grew on me for sure. It's very easy if you want it to be which makes it a great entry point for new players. My favorites are probably still PoR and RD but Awakening is up there for sure.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Distance.

The "Lost to Echoes" campaign is insane! This gameplay resembles Super Meat Boy more than a racer.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Sir Ilpalazzo wrote:I've played every prior game in the series (and am currently in the middle of a Fates Conquest playthrough) but haven't actually gotten around to Awakening yet. Once I've finished Fates, I'll definitely have to give Awakening a shot - Fire Emblem is one of my favorite series.
Hell yeah, same here.

Awakening grew on me for sure. It's very easy if you want it to be which makes it a great entry point for new players. My favorites are probably still PoR and RD but Awakening is up there for sure.
How do you guys feel about the JP only GBA title.
I lose momentum so easily with those games.
Every chapter seems to take me ages.
Sir Ilpalazzo

Post by Sir Ilpalazzo »

I think Binding Blade (first GBA game) is one of the best entries in the series, but if the later GBA games or basically any of the US-released games after that put you off, you'll have problems with it. Binding Blade has one of the most difficult default modes in the entire series, and most of its levels are pretty protracted. Ultimately the level design is excellent (provides a lot of interesting and varied situations for you to strategize through, more than most other games in the series honestly), the unit balance is good, and the mechanics are as refined as they are in the other GBA entries, which is why I praise it so highly - but if you aren't sure whether Fire Emblem is really your thing, I might recommend one of the milder games first.

If I had to pick my personal favorites I'd go with Thracia 776 (SNES) and New Mystery of the Emblem (DS) - both absolute masterpieces, pinnacles of the series and the genre. Fates Conquest might be up there with them, but I'd like to play more of that before I judge it.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Spent an hour or so playing Bedlam last night. Starts promisingly, looking exactly like a 90's PC FPS, but doesn't take long to disappoint. Weapons lack impact - a shotgun can take two/three shots at close range to put a grunt down, while enemies are uncannily accurate, able to take chunks of your life bar from the other side of the map. Was ready to shelve this, which was a shame as it's pretty fluid and speedy, maps are nice and open, and it feels pretty different from more modern takes on the genre. Before I did I decided to ramp auto-aim and aim assist to full, and I'm pretty glad I did because I ended up having a good laugh with it. Plays at a hell of a lick and it's obviously not supposed to be taken seriously as a shooter, ended up being some old-school brain-off fun. The underpowered weapons are still a an issue at times, AI in non-existent, graphics are (not always deliberately) shoddy, but I dunno... I guess it's just going to be one of those average games that I've taken to for some odd reason.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sir Ilpalazzo wrote:I think Binding Blade (first GBA game) is one of the best entries in the series, but if the later GBA games or basically any of the US-released games after that put you off, you'll have problems with it. Binding Blade has one of the most difficult default modes in the entire series, and most of its levels are pretty protracted.
I've played Shadow Dragon and Path of Radiance.

By 'those games' I meant FE. I am playing Binding Blade atm, never tried later GBA.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Leviathan wrote:Fight'N Rage
Bought this beat 'em up on sale for 10 bucks and having a blast. Love the presentation and controls. Interesting world it's set in too, with many different branding paths. Amazing that one guy did the whole thing, apart from the score (which is excellent).

Well recommended if you like beat'em ups.
1cc'd this with Ricardo on Normal ('B' ending). Also got his black belt. Really like this character, though the other characters are apparently stronger. On to Hard mode..
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Playing V-Rally 4 by completely ignoring the career mode and focusing solely on the awesome touge course. I like it so much I made a music video of sorts with Initial D music on top of the replay of my fastest run:

https://youtu.be/IpPViAZQuTc
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos