What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Obscura wrote:Started a Vanquish God Hard run.

Holy fuck, what did I get myself into?
It's tricky for sure. You get used to popping up out of cover and dealing with them in the tighter timing windows. Those sniper gorgies are also considerably nastier. Make full use of the advanced techniques such as HMG flipkick shooting at a distance, slide EMP grenades to set them off instantly, and shooting explosive grenades in midair to help make shots more accurate.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Hit 2-5, gave up after six hours of attempts. I just can't get through this area no matter what I try; made it to the top of the hill once, but got mauled by the elite Gorgie + dropship from behind both hitting me at once.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Try this strategy out: just rush the gate at the top. The gorgies there can either be LFE Gunned as they appear, Rocket Launchered (you can blast the rocket at close range and it does no damage to you, only the normal grenades can be used to kill yourself) or drop EMP grenades and run for the checkpoint. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5sDRZLp1Xw
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I went googling and tried some more things in between my post and seeing your post, and finally got past it with a similar strategy (fought my way past the bottom half, hail mary'd it past the second half with a point-blank rocket).

Then died over 70 more times on 2-6 before finishing Act 2 :lol:

Right now, my score is more negative than my best score is positive. What's worse is knowing I won't be able to finish this before I travel for work for a week on Sunday, gah!
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

So, my work trip got delayed by a day, and I tried to finish my GH run.

The final boss will have to wait until Thursday. I'm really worried about what a few days of rust will do tbh, I really don't want to struggle through 5-2 again...

304. That's how many times I died on 5-2 before I finally made it past that bastard. Good lord, I've never struggled with any setpiece in any AAA game like that before; I seriously was thinking I'd literally never be able to get past that.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Obscura wrote: I'm really worried about what a few days of rust will do tbh
Absolutely nothing / might even help, imo.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Red Dead Redemption II... Frustrating, controls are meh. I've only put 8hrs into it so maybe it's gets better the more I play.

At least you can shoot people in the face
Marc

Post by Marc »

Lots of scroll fighting games because of the Capcom comp. The 360 is currently set back up, so tried out a few originals.
After playing the Capcom games I find both Battle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim absolutely horrid. Double Dragon Neon is over long and a bit gimmicky, but solid.

Tower of Doom... is magnificent. It feels like everything that Capcom were trying to do with KoD and KotR taken to its logical conclusion. I've been looking for one belt scroller to really get stuck into, and it looks like this is the one. I hear the sequel is even better, so it's nice to have that on hand as well. Looking back, Capcom actually put out some really solid collections on the 360 - had a blast the other night with a mate, some beers, and the Darkstalkers comp.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

just started playing ORPHAN last night
its new surreal puzzle platformer game similar to Limbo/Inside
enjoying alot...lets c how it ends
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Still playing Octopath. Big time sink. Still haven't had any real trouble with the main game bosses. One optional boss so far I had to use a fair amount of revival items, probably should have waited until the post game, but w/e. I'm also not even grinding, purely just progressing the game naturally. I've probably been underleveled with most of my characters for all this (except the character you start with, because they can't leave your party). This game rewards you for knowing the game systems and planning out your combat. I've found it was a good idea to essentially have two identical parties of 4.
Spoiler
I went with Thief/Merchant, Hunter/Warrior, Cleric/Apothecary and Scholar/Dancer. This lets you swap characters and keep all of your strategies the same. It also offers you every physical attack type at least twice which is important for stunning bosses.
Not sure what I'll do with the special classes yet. Need to look into their skills and weapons given. I still have some chapters 4s to finish before I get to that. Combat in this game is great, and you can absolutely die if you aren't prepared.

Unless it somehow falls off a cliff, I don't see giving this game less than a 9. If I cared about story, that would probably ding it down. It's pretty much just generic fantasy stories and they are all pretty separate. Feels like they could have had an epic story interweaving the characters but didn't go for it.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Obscura wrote:So, my work trip got delayed by a day, and I tried to finish my GH run.

The final boss will have to wait until Thursday. I'm really worried about what a few days of rust will do tbh, I really don't want to struggle through 5-2 again...

304. That's how many times I died on 5-2 before I finally made it past that bastard. Good lord, I've never struggled with any setpiece in any AAA game like that before; I seriously was thinking I'd literally never be able to get past that.
I always found 5-2 the hardest level in the game. In contrast the last boss is hard but fair. It's one of my favorite boss fights in any game still. It's sort of insignificant on the other difficulties and becomes a real fight on god hard. There's a lot going on but almost everything is telegraphed and it really tests your overall skill at the game which is a great way to end it.

I played vanquish a shitload but this still took me ~8 hours after the fact...
Would recommend that challenge to anyone who likes the game (last boss without EMPs or AI loop)

There are ways to completely trivialize 2-5. Like using a cigarette at the base of the hill, then rushing up and maybe throwing 1 emp on the way. It's one of the biggest walls in the game if you try to kill everything which most people will do on their first go.

I was watching some old full godhard run the other day and seeing chokes in 5-2 again is torture. The PC port still seems inaccurate, see a lot of videos where the player or enemies take too little damage or the other way around
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

garrz32 wrote:Red Dead Redemption II... Frustrating, controls are meh. I've only put 8hrs into it so maybe it's gets better the more I play.
It doesn't get much better and the antiquated controls become more infuriating. have you experienced your horse having a stroke and running directly into a tree yet?
At least you can shoot people in the face
or get shot in the face for bumping into someone in town. the bounty system is some of the most irretrievably stupid shit i've experienced in a game; it manages to be more draconian than Kingdom Come: Deliverance, which is set in 15th century Bohemia (great game, btw).
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

rapoon wrote:
It doesn't get much better and the antiquated controls become more infuriating. have you experienced your horse having a stroke and running directly into a tree yet?

or get shot in the face for bumping into someone in town. the bounty system is some of the most irretrievably stupid shit i've experienced in a game; it manages to be more draconian than Kingdom Come: Deliverance, which is set in 15th century Bohemia (great game, btw).
hahaha That's pretty messed up, I haven't seen that yet.I've stopped playing for the moment as my level of patience is at critical level!

I've purchased 2 new gen games this year and both have been a joke. Maybe it's me but games of late are shite at best :shock:

I haven't even heard of Kingdom Come: Deliverance , (quick youtube vid to see what's it about )
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

garrz32 wrote:
rapoon wrote:

hahaha That's pretty messed up, I haven't seen that yet.I've stopped playing for the moment as my level of patience is at critical level!

I've purchased 2 new gen games this year and both have been a joke. Maybe it's me but games of late are shite at best :shock:

I haven't even heard of Kingdom Come: Deliverance , (quick youtube vid to see what's it about )
I also purchased another AAA title, Assassins Creed: Odyssey and it's an insufferable grind. RDR2 isn't all that bad, where is really shines is in exploration. It's a lot of fun to ride off and get lost and not worry about quests or objectives.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a hit or miss title. It's still riddled with bugs and the developers seem to have all but abandoned the console versions, so it should only be played on PC. The story is great, combat mechanics are fairly realistic and technical (for a game), and it's got a kick ass alchemy system if you're into that kind of thing. I'm a huge fan of games like Chivalry, Mount and Blade, and Mordhau so my opinion on it is a bit biased.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

rapoon wrote:or get shot in the face for bumping into someone in town.
Coincidentally one of the first YouTube suggested videos I saw listed for the game was "punching annoying feminist." Hmm...

Speaking of annoying people, I am playing Bioshock Remastered. A few hiccups here and there and it doesn't have the performance an Unreal Engine 2.5 (that's 2004 folks) game should have, especially with too-long quicksave screens. It has even crashed on me.

However I am appreciating the story and the various Splicer lines, especially in light of our recent American history of Andrew Ryans. Ryan definitely is OK with burning everything down just to feel like he's in charge and his world-view makes sense, even to the point of pretending that children are proper objects in his grand scheme.

After you get out of Medical, the gameplay feels somewhat less clunky than the usual complaints. The common complaint is that the plasmid / guns switching is clumsy, which I think is due to people being disoriented by the switch - otherwise it's a quick and fluid system. I did not like having my gun pickup order screwed with when I picked up a pistol during a certain fight, which ended up putting the pistol ahead of the wrench in my loadout (?!) The active-use plasmids are too earth/air/fire/water obvious for me - and this even after System Shock 2 lampshaded how utilitarian its PSI power set was, despite doing everything BS does and then some.

To make the early game a bit less tedious I cheated myself ammo, dollars, and ADAM too. I don't regret it. Reading through the cheats, and noticing some ingame decorations, there were plans at one point to do some more game world-breaking things, like having a teleportation power.
Steamflogger Boss

rapoon wrote:
garrz32 wrote:
rapoon wrote:

I also purchased another AAA title, Assassins Creed: Odyssey and it's an insufferable grind. RDR2 isn't all that bad, where is really shines is in exploration. It's a lot of fun to ride off and get lost and not worry about quests or objectives.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a hit or miss title. It's still riddled with bugs and the developers seem to have all but abandoned the console versions, so it should only be played on PC. The story is great, combat mechanics are fairly realistic and technical (for a game), and it's got a kick ass alchemy system if you're into that kind of thing. I'm a huge fan of games like Chivalry, Mount and Blade, and Mordhau so my opinion on it is a bit biased.
I'm not a big Jim Sterling guy (I see maybe 1-2 videos from him a month) but his video on Ass Creed Odyssey made me chuckle.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

rapoon wrote:
I've never got into Assassins truth be told, I've lost track of how many games are actually in the series so just knocked it on the head.

The free roaming is the best part, that's why I like the GTA games as well.
Aaah I see a common theme "Chivalry, Mount and Blade, and Mordhau " Yeah you might be biased here :lol:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

rapoon wrote:I also purchased another AAA title, Assassins Creed: Odyssey and it's an insufferable grind.
Yeah I hear this is the one where ubi finally dropped the charade and actively fucked the game and its playerbase with microtransactions. like.. playing without buying extra shit is a demonstrably worse time.
fuck 'em.

I tapped out at AC3.. but my weird completionist habit means i'll start it again one day..
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Marc

Post by Marc »

I tried to play one of these before... Bortherhood I think. Not good. I know there are some so jaded that they have this mindset that they won't allow themselves to enjoy a modern video game, I've managed to avoid that feeling so far, but it would be a games like this that nudge me ever closer to it. I don't even remember it being bad per se, just blandness personified.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Marc wrote:I tried to play one of these before... Bortherhood I think. Not good. I know there are some so jaded that they have this mindset that they won't allow themselves to enjoy a modern video game, I've managed to avoid that feeling so far, but it would be a games like this that nudge me ever closer to it. I don't even remember it being bad per se, just blandness personified.

+1 ..Am not in the "hate modern games " place but I can see why some people are. Am sure there's plenty of titles I would enjoy but they must be well hidden :)
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

Steel Rats
been waiting for this..its like fast paced Platformer Ghostrider
But..its sooo repetitive and boring after few levels..shame..just skip it
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

kaicooper wrote:Steel Rats
been waiting for this..its like fast paced Platformer Ghostrider
But..its sooo repetitive and boring after few levels..shame..just skip it
Aww! I was considering picking it up. Thanks for the warning.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
guigui

Post by guigui »

Necronopticous wrote:I beat the Pantheon of Hollownest in Hollow Knight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_-AHnN2c9g
Ah, how good is that for a 2D game ? Welcome to 2018.
Great run here, congratulations. Can I ask what your charm setup is ? I remember plowing through all those bosses in the regular with the "lots of blue hearts" charm and by mindlessly striking them. A bit disappointed by the fact that you can kill most of them this way, no thinking involved.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Zaarock wrote:
Obscura wrote:So, my work trip got delayed by a day, and I tried to finish my GH run.

I always found 5-2 the hardest level in the game. In contrast the last boss is hard but fair. It's one of my favorite boss fights in any game still. It's sort of insignificant on the other difficulties and becomes a real fight on god hard. There's a lot going on but almost everything is telegraphed and it really tests your overall skill at the game which is a great way to end it.

I played vanquish a shitload but this still took me ~8 hours after the fact...
Would recommend that challenge to anyone who likes the game (last boss without EMPs or AI loop)

There are ways to completely trivialize 2-5. Like using a cigarette at the base of the hill, then rushing up and maybe throwing 1 emp on the way. It's one of the biggest walls in the game if you try to kill everything which most people will do on their first go.

I was watching some old full godhard run the other day and seeing chokes in 5-2 again is torture. The PC port still seems inaccurate, see a lot of videos where the player or enemies take too little damage or the other way around
Welp, 5-3 looks like it's going to be my end. 4 hours of attempts, only one even got one Bogey below half health (I got a lucky run where he just kept doing "Take Your Best Shot" before Beta decided to be a total dick with his machinegun at my back). I die before landing a single hit more often than taking off 25%.

I just don't have the reaction time to handle the sniper shots. Really nothing I can do, one of them will eventually catch me, and at that point, it's game over.
kaicooper

Post by kaicooper »

Orphan
just beat it and its good..yes its similar to Limbo but it has
its own style..its cinematic platformer with some action elements..lots of weapons
has lots of issues like bugs and stucking on wall and some glitches..also u cant
skip scenes so it means u have to wait watching over and over if u died in boss battles
also u'll get lost alot cus there's no map and first 2 acts in caves..its a pain in the ass.
the developer promised to add map and fix alot of stuff and maby skip scene option in future

overall its good with some great boss fights but with issues..
Steamflogger Boss

Finished the main game of Octopath. Still much more meat on the bone here though. The fight to get the Warmaster special class was NUTS. N-V-T-S NUTS.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Obscura wrote:Welp, 5-3 looks like it's going to be my end. 4 hours of attempts, only one even got one Bogey below half health (I got a lucky run where he just kept doing "Take Your Best Shot" before Beta decided to be a total dick with his machinegun at my back). I die before landing a single hit more often than taking off 25%.

I just don't have the reaction time to handle the sniper shots. Really nothing I can do, one of them will eventually catch me, and at that point, it's game over.
Finding a better way to deal damage to them can help a lot. You could try extending the invincibility of roll by boosting for a split second before rolling, maybe that can cover up some of the reaction time? The sound cue for Alpha charge shot begins pretty early so maybe you can get the hang of it.
Beta machinegun is the only thing without any cues which is a pain in the ass. I always focused Alpha first but cant recall why.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

guigui wrote:Great run here, congratulations. Can I ask what your charm setup is ?
  • Mark of Pride (***)
  • Quick Slash (***)
  • Unbreakable Strength (***)
  • Steady Body (*)
  • Grubsong (*)
guigui wrote:I remember plowing through all those bosses in the regular with the "lots of blue hearts" charm and by mindlessly striking them. A bit disappointed by the fact that you can kill most of them this way, no thinking involved.
I beat all but two (Markoth & Absolute Radiance) in Radiant Mode (you die in a single hit) while practicing for this feat. If you really want to experience what the bosses have to offer design-wise, I recommend giving that a go!
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

I just finished Return to the Obra Dinn. It's fucking phenomenal. If you have absolutely any interest in exploration, puzzles, mystery, seafaring, or sound design you owe it to yourself to play this. It took me around 11 hours to fully solve with no outside help, so it's not a huge time investment. Highly recommend.
Steamflogger Boss

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Finished the main game of Octopath. Still much more meat on the bone here though. The fight to get the Warmaster special class was NUTS. N-V-T-S NUTS.
Just wrapped up the game in it's entirety. The last boss sequence (that you need all 8 characters for) is awesome. I had to rework my party to beat it.