What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Durandal

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Durandal »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Durandal wrote:There's also a peculiar bug in the sourceport where it crashes if you blow up certain enemies with a missile if you told the Guide-Bot to go away.
What source port do you use? https://www.dxx-rebirth.com/ is the one I play with - it's intended to feel as closely as the original as possible, no fancy textures or graphical changes, a nice clean playable version on modern operating systems.
I am using the latest version of DXX-Rebirth, though the bug is such a weird edge case that I'm not surprised nobody picked up on it.
Durandal wrote:To me the ideal solution would be to let the player destroy matcens (like in Overload) and skip the boring spawnkilling phase entirely.
I thought that the matcens had a spawn limit based on the difficulty mode (like X number of waves depending on difficulty, Insane on D2 might be infinite)? I could be mistaken though, and I agree that they're a bit of a nuisance to deal with especially when it's an area you have to backtrack in. If you could shut them down by either destroying them directly or finding a switch in the level that could be fun.
Matcens in D2 can't be depleted regardless of the difficulty.
Durandal wrote:The Vulcan had its niche in D1 for being hitscan but comparatively low damage, but the Gauss Rifle completely triumphs over anything else, which is a shame.
The Gauss Rifle also has area of effect blast damage. It's relatively minor when you hit yourself with it, but it's damaging enough that even if you miss shots, the blast will slightly damage and disorient any nearby robots. A rapid fire explosive cannon that doesn't drain energy you can use for your shields now, yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. But it IS damn fun to use, and the energy guns do still serve a purpose (especially when you get good at Phoenixing stuff from afar).
I did forget to mention the self-blast damage, which is very liable to instantly kill you if you try to shoot a Diamond Claw right in your face with the Gauss Rifle.
Durandal wrote:Then there's the fucking Thief-Bot.
I hate Thief-Bots and think they are a detriment to the game. There's one in nearly every level, and when you trigger a Thief-Bot, you basically have to deal with it immediately before you progress into the level, unless you want to repeatedly have your stuff stolen from you as it comes up behind you at lightning speed and flies off again. I always, ALWAYS deal with it as soon as I see it, and try to corner it in such a way that I can kill it and then actually play the level without having to worry about having my weapons stolen mid-fight.

If it only had a small amount of health and you could dump some proximity mines to kill it then Thief-Bots wouldn't be so bad, but the things are tanks and take a ridiculous amount of hits to kill, are extremely mobile, and are almost as much of a nuisance as Red-Hulks and Drillers in D1 were. Almost. Thankfully it can be cornered and smacked repeatedly with weapons, but you have to be careful when chasing it not to be lead into an unexplored area with enemies to run into...

The Thief-Bot should have only popped up in a handful of levels as a novelty enemy, but instead, he's in every level like your Guide-Bot, where he gets old and obnoxious really quick. Fuck the Thief-Bot.
Yeah, I wouldn't have minded the Thief-Bot having less health. It's already ridiculously evasive to begin with, and it can be rather time-consuming to keep shooting it when you already have it cornered. Chasing down a Thief-Bot directly is a fools' errand, depending on the level that guy is always going to outrun you if you can't corner it. Paying attention to the sound it makes from behind and then turning around to fire some warning shots usually helps enough to have him not bother you too much.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Durandal wrote:If New Game+ ends up being as cool as I suspect, this update alone may very well elevate Ruiner from being a 6/10 game to a 7.5/10 game. Given that future free content updates are being planned, there's still a lot more to expect. In this state I'd definitely get it, now that it is on a -33% sale.
I'm considering getting this game. Have you tried the New Game+ yet? Does it live up to your expectations?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
youngmoneySWE

Post by youngmoneySWE »

Been enjoying Contra: Hard Corps these past few days. Bought the japanese version a few years back and played a bit but never got around to really dig into it. These past days I've played in a one character - one route kind of way, beating the game on one credit. I know it's a bit on the easier side playing the japanese version - usually I end up with 3-4 extra lives since you have a health bar... Even so, been a great experience. Fang is definitely the hardest character to use, but also the most rewarding I feel. I really love how Treasure-y this game feels, especially many of the bosses that remind me of Gunstar Heroes bosses. Will probably return to this game and tweak the settings a bit so that a 1CC feels more like a challenge.

Next up on my Mega Drive-list: Chelnov
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Mischief Maker wrote:
Durandal wrote:If New Game+ ends up being as cool as I suspect, this update alone may very well elevate Ruiner from being a 6/10 game to a 7.5/10 game. Given that future free content updates are being planned, there's still a lot more to expect. In this state I'd definitely get it, now that it is on a -33% sale.
I'm considering getting this game. Have you tried the New Game+ yet? Does it live up to your expectations?
I was very pleased with it. New Game+ not only revamps all enemy encounters to be more difficult by throwing more enemies at once at you, but it also throws even new enemy types and weapons at you. One even being the Flak Cannon ripped straight from UT, which absolutely shreds close-up. I posted my write-up on Ruiner on the Steam forums around launch, and was pleased to find that the developers (probably) listened to my suggestion of having grunts spawn during boss fights to make them more involving and have the bosses be less vulnerable to stun-locking, which is what happens on NG+.

It's not a mega-improvement, a lot of problems still persist, but I still find NG+ to be the most enjoyable way to play the game, if you don't get chewed out on Hard to begin with. While it doubles the replay value, it's more of the same, but expanded. So if you don't like the base game it won't do too much good.
Another update introduced Arena Mode, which for some reason features new enemy types which don't appear in the main campaign, which I find rather wasteful. The boss at the end of Arena Mode is also the best one in the game, but again I don't know why it isn't in the main campaign to begin with. I'm hoping for more content patches since I do believe this game is rather unfinished, but since the developers have been working on the Linux port lately I can assume that we won't be seeing any in the nearby future.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
BIL

Post by BIL »

youngmoneySWE wrote:Been enjoying Contra: Hard Corps these past few days. Bought the japanese version a few years back and played a bit but never got around to really dig into it. These past days I've played in a one character - one route kind of way, beating the game on one credit. I know it's a bit on the easier side playing the japanese version - usually I end up with 3-4 extra lives since you have a health bar... Even so, been a great experience. Fang is definitely the hardest character to use, but also the most rewarding I feel. I really love how Treasure-y this game feels, especially many of the bosses that remind me of Gunstar Heroes bosses. Will probably return to this game and tweak the settings a bit so that a 1CC feels more like a challenge.
Note that hitpoints and text aside, the US and JP versions are 100% identical. So although JP is much friendlier to beginners, a no-damage run is the equivalent of a US no-deaths.

I grew up with the US version, and put off adding JP to my collection for a while until I realised this. :smile: Although I aesthetically still prefer the US's screaming instant deaths (giant metal fist to the face shouldn't provoke a mere "yowch!" in Contra), I consider a run practice if I get hit either way.

Also JP has a certain benefit: you can play solo with one-hit rules, and 2P with noob friends without them Game Overing every thirty seconds. :mrgreen: Stage select is really handy for practicing ultra-risky lategame techniques, too.
youngmoneySWE

Post by youngmoneySWE »

Gotcha. I've never been that hardcore when it comes to Contra games - I beat the first two on NES on one credit (not one life). For those two I did like that clearing the first 4-5 stages without dying (this took some practice) usually meant that you could get through the game, and I guess the same goes for this one. I feel that 1LC is a little too brutal for me, would love to hit that sweet spot where you can take one death and it'll still feel challenging. Who knows, maybe 1LC will be the way to go when I return to this game.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I think Contra III (Spirits) would have to be my favourite Contra. It effing rocks.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Up to the last boss on Cave Story - Misery and the Doctor are easy enough, but I'm having trouble with that final skull thing at the moment. Great game, will probably play through again.

Think I'm ready to drop Yakuza Kiwami. I'm on chapter 7, where you take Haruka to the ticket booth and get into the dice place, and it's dropped me into a bullshit fight with an atrocious camera and no room to move. My save point is only ten minutes or so back, so I can reload, stock up and cheese it, but it's seriously beginning to get on my nerves. Feels like a shoddy re-skin of 0 with most of the content cut. I'm aware that the fighting in 0 was no great shakes, but I don't recall it ever being as blatantly cheap and cheesy as Kiwaki can get.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Steamflogger Boss

The whole different fighting styles thing was meh to me, I like the direction they went in 6.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Marc wrote:Up to the last boss on Cave Story - Misery and the Doctor are easy enough, but I'm having trouble with that final skull thing at the moment.
You ain't seen nothin yet!
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Marc

Post by Marc »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:The whole different fighting styles thing was meh to me, I like the direction they went in 6.
I very very rarely use Rush. Beast is handy for the street brawling, but yeah, game really feels as though it was designed around Brawl.
Plus the random encounters... I don't recall being stopped so goddamn often in 0, shit is Final Fantasy level.

As for Cave Story I get the feeling that I've missed quite a bit of stuff - I looked at a vid of the skull bos and the dude had a massive laser gun and multidirectional jetpack. Another playthough it is then.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I'm glad to see anyone's getting into Cave Story this late in the day. Somehow, I must have feared that freeware titles, steadily growing in numbers as years come by, were bound to leave collective awareness of my species sooner than things that initially come at a price.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Steamflogger Boss

Marc wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:The whole different fighting styles thing was meh to me, I like the direction they went in 6.
I very very rarely use Rush. Beast is handy for the street brawling, but yeah, game really feels as though it was designed around Brawl.
Plus the random encounters... I don't recall being stopped so goddamn often in 0, shit is Final Fantasy level.

As for Cave Story I get the feeling that I've missed quite a bit of stuff - I looked at a vid of the skull bos and the dude had a massive laser gun and multidirectional jetpack. Another playthough it is then.
Another positive to 6, street fights are quite avoidable if you want. I can't help myself so I've almost maxd all my shit in chapter 6 lol.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Marc wrote:As for Cave Story I get the feeling that I've missed quite a bit of stuff - I looked at a vid of the skull bos and the dude had a massive laser gun and multidirectional jetpack. Another playthough it is then.
There are a lot of very important things in that game that you aren't likely to find through experimentation. At the bare minimum, you'll want to look up
Spoiler
how to reach the true last boss.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Count me in the camp that loves seeing new player of Cave Story

That game was such a memorable experience for me, and it is very dear to my cold, black, lifeless heart <3
The level of charm that game has is off the charts! and the gameplay is awesome too! I remember the first time I played through Hell :O crazy and fun challenge.

Good replay value in that game. And very worth replaying it

Speaking of Pixel :
Has anyone played Kero Blaster? Seems like a fun little run 'n gun. But is it just allright, or legit very good?
I like that you can walk backwards while shooting forward. And the weapons (and their upgrades) seem fun to use and have specific uses.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Shit man I never went back and played Cave Story on hard mode!
Although running hell beat the shit out of me on normal.
Obiwanshinobi wrote:I'm glad to see anyone's getting into Cave Story this late in the day. Somehow, I must have feared that freeware titles, steadily growing in numbers as years come by, were bound to leave collective awareness of my species sooner than things that initially come at a price.
Well. there's Plus on steam which was cheap enough and i prefer that soundtrack, shock horror.
Also the 3DS version, I guess. So it's less likely to disappear from awareness.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Still playing Battletech.

Man, THIS is one of the games I've been dreaming of since childhood. Yeah, it's a beast to run and yes, the tutorial sucks, but once you get the hang of it the interface is fantastic. It's the tabletop come to life on the PC and I couldn't be happier.

Oh wait, nevermind, they give you the option for a gender nonbinary pronoun in character creation. Better review-bomb it into oblivion. This is what we call "ethics in game criticism."
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

FinalBaton wrote: Speaking of Pixel :
Has anyone played Kero Blaster? Seems like a fun little run 'n gun. But is it just allright, or legit very good?
I like that you can walk backwards while shooting forward. And the weapons (and their upgrades) seem fun to use and have specific uses.
It's alright. It's fun, but nothing out of the ordinary. Seems to be designed very much around the idea of grinding for upgrades, but I think if you have a plan it's somewhat playable without grinding. (ie. not your first playthrough for sure)
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Went down to Arcade Odyssey today, mostly ended up playing Crazy Taxi. Nowhere near as good as I am on pad [the high run for the day was a tad over $5k], mostly because I'm really bad at doing the dash with pedals+stick. Once it finally clicked with me... it's still exhausting as shit. Plus, I fucked up the input a bunch too, so I'd have to retry the dash again and again so I could actually move around. :lol:
Also got a chance to play an actual SegaSonic the Hedgehog cab there... and either they had awful trackballs [entirely possible] or the game really does just control like complete ass. It was actually worse than using an analog stick in MAME for it, and that was fucking terrible.

oh, and Fighting Mania was fun as shit, although I'm kinda no good with the timing
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

null1024 wrote: oh, and Fighting Mania was fun as shit, although I'm kinda no good with the timing
atatatatatatatata!
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Finally, an older-looking playable character in the first GBA Fire Emblem, came to reinforce my willing suspension of disbelief. I already have units on my team who I'd completely forgotten how they had teamed up with me, so it's not quite the Suikoden/first Shining Force level of memorability... or just my memory tends to leak more easily than it used to.

If Chrono Cross proved anything, it was that such additive storytelling is real easy to fuck up. So many characters need their personal story each, but introducing them in a way stucking in one's memory seems to be the necessary and sufficient condition for making you care. Could be the reason why most jRPGs focus on fewer characters, attempting to expose their chronicles more meanderingly. This makes me care a bit while I play, only to leave me struggling to recall a game's plot only a few months after I'm done playing it.
The way out is cut off

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Finished a run through Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, but in a first in my time with the series (I think the only "main" entry I've yet to go through is Into the Nexus) I quit before completing a subsequent Challenge Mode jaunt. The main reason is because of an issue that got even worse with the PS4 reboot, namely how easily enemy shots can get lost in all the fancy explosion effects and sneak in a hit; it doesn't happen often enough to be a major threat, but the entire point of Challenge Mode is to keep the multiplier up (and thus earn enough to unlock all the higher weapon levels) by not getting hit, and the game, while still fun enough, is simply not built for that. If I had to guess I would posit that this is around the time someone got the notion that an R+C feature film would be a good idea...
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Mayhap it is the time of year for me to re-try completing the original Ratchet & Clank. Struggled hard to get into it on PS2, then - just as toilsomely - on PS3. There is a hope third time's a charm.
The way out is cut off

FRO

Post by FRO »

Currently working on Azure Striker Gunvolt. I think I'm somewhere around halfway done with it, at which point I'll move on to the 2nd game.
ryu

Post by ryu »

FRO wrote:Currently working on Azure Striker Gunvolt. I think I'm somewhere around halfway done with it, at which point I'll move on to the 2nd game.
make sure to collect all those gems and hand them to Cian before completing the game and moving on
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Mayhap it is the time of year for me to re-try completing the original Ratchet & Clank. Struggled hard to get into it on PS2, then - just as toilsomely - on PS3. There is a hope third time's a charm.
I've got very vague memories of trying one on PS2, and wondering what the fuss was as I enjoyed Metal Arms on Cube far more.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

And now, for this week's installment of Gamer Blasphemy, it's time for...

Had my first attempt in some time to give Ico (the PS3 "remaster" to be specific) a legitimate shot; currently only an hour or two in, but despite how janky the camera, and combat, and Yorda, and...just about everything can be, I can still understand why this one became a cult classic, as it just has a certain and very "genuine" vibe to it that you want to see more of.

Most of the annoyances I could deal with except for how you get insta-Game Over'd (not even that, as they drag it out for a minute or two even though in my experience it's almost impossible to make it back in time) if you wander away from Yorda for too long; as with the rest of the game's "quirks" I can understand why they did this, but especially for someone like me who's not terribly great at puzzle solving, and especially considering how few hints the game gives you, and especially in a setting where the solution to a problem can be a decent distance away, getting stuck plus being forced to drag Yorda all over the place as you comb the entire castle over to figure out what in the world you're missing is simply excruciating. And yeah, I could look up a walkthrough or something to get past the part giving me trouble, but my general policy when it comes to that is either the game is too obtuse or I'm too dumb, not to mention I'd rather not inch any closer to the "why not just watch someone play it on YouTube" realm than I absolutely have to.

Maybe I ought to give Shadow of the Colossus a try instead, though I recall what made me drift from it the first time around was how much I hated the horse controls...seriously, Ocarina of Time managed it, how in the world could anyone still screw that up? But that's a story for another week. :P
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

The horse helps you get around quickly, but I don't remember having any particular difficulties with the controls or any frustrations in any of the colossi fights...? What about the controls felt off to you?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It's been a long time since I last picked up the bugger, I honestly couldn't list specific things, but I do remember finding the horse controls more cumbersome than they needed to be in some fashion or other. Guess I'd have to give it another shot to know for sure whether my memory's playing tricks on me...and I really hate the thought of giving up on Ico to do it, but I just can't see myself able to cope with being chained to Yorda when I'm pretty much doomed to need to cover a lot of ground to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

For what it's worth, when I played the game, I remember using the horse as a vehicle to get from A to B quickly and having no problems, but could basically disregard the horse when actually facing 90% of the colossi. Heck, you can just walk everywhere if you prefer to sightsee and explore, which is fine too.