What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Steamflogger Boss

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

WelshMegalodon wrote:"10 Video Game Mechanics That Haven't Aged Well", by Steamflogger Boss
Hahaha too true. It's a shame because those articles probably put some people off of older games.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

CyberAngel wrote:and as for the latter I found it hilarious myself just how many similarities you can find if you try.
Yeah there are a couple, maybe.

Where's muh combat tho. or bosses. :shock:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

third_strike wrote:Now, cadillacs and dinosaurs.
I will try 1LC this.

Here is The Punisher CPS2 1LC, I did last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QozIm74CzKo
Done!!!
https://youtu.be/XGO6J7VrOks
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
InnerCircle

Post by InnerCircle »

Mortal Kombat 11.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Have little time for gaming these days, mostly due to a Korean drama the missus wants to watch together. Only a few episodes thankfully (though I'm secretly enjoying it).

Most of my gaming time has been used for Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2, as usual, and I actually reached my highest ever rank last week. It's been all downhill since there though. Been playing almost daily since 2014 and I'm seriously thinking it's time to move on. I'm lamenting not finishing so many games, and BIL's recent posts on Metal Slug have got me itching to get back to it. Final Fight is another that continues to gnaw away at my brain.

Other than that, I've been playing River City Girls on and off for the past few weeks. usually not a huge fan of beat 'em ups with RPG-style leveling up and unlockable moves, but I quite enjoy this one. The presentation is top notch (though perhaps not to everyone's tastes) and I enjoy the charisma of the characters. The gameplay itself is good, but not great and not particularly deep. Have the first and second stages down. The third is a little harder, but can get to the last boss fine. Died there a few times, so need to practice her patterns.

Had a couple of playthroughs on the Ninja Saviours (Hard mode), and Zelos continues to block my path. Had one run that was going great, but a lack of enemies walking in front of the green goon meant I had nothing to swing at him. I rarely get salty, but I was in that moment. Ho-hum. My fault for not having a plan B and relying too much on luck.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BIL

Post by BIL »

BurlyHeart wrote:Had a couple of playthroughs on the Ninja Saviours (Hard mode), and Zelos continues to block my path. Had one run that was going great, but a lack of enemies walking in front of the green goon meant I had nothing to swing at him. I rarely get salty, but I was in that moment. Ho-hum. My fault for not having a plan B and relying too much on luck.
Which character are you using? As Ninja I noticed he was hard to get into grabbing range with, due to his "run up, stop, poke" habit. Front tumble (jump while guarding) did the trick, he'll whiff at you during the tumble and you can punish him out of it. It's a handy technique with just about any enemy, due to how the game's AI works, but it's particularly important vs Zelos.
Spoiler
Other characters benefit from it too, at least Kunoichi/Kamaitachi/Yaksha. Still haven't put more than a couple credits on Raiden, haha. Saving him for a rainy day.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Playing Ninja. You know, I don't think I've ever used the tumble and rarely use guard. I got the 1cc on Normal without using it. But for more reliable runs and not relying on RnG, I defo should use it more.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
BIL

Post by BIL »

Highly recommended! Guarding, the associated superjumps and the bounteous i-frames therein will change your life and save you tons of meter. Image :lol:

Must run, but for now, here is a shameless copy/paste from my startup guide - which I'm feeling motivated to finish, even though I still don't know WTF I'm doing with Raiden:
Spoiler
[GUARDING & EVASION]
  • Hold [ATTACK] to guard. If your character is in hitstun, or executing a move, guard will activate instantly on the next active frame.
  • So if you get hit by a combo starter, don't hesitate - immediately hold [ATTACK] to get your guard up.

KEEP YOUR FOOTING = KEEP YOUR METER

• Press [JUMP] while guarding to superjump forward. Hold [AWAY] to superjump backward. NB: NINJA lacks conventional jumps.
  • Superjumps are 100% front-invincible, but totally rear-vulnerable. Great for aggressively invading enemy space. Not a free ticket out of trouble! Backflipping into a horde of enemies will get you a shoe up your ass!
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Sumez wrote:It's very much a living game world, and something that's extremely rare in the world of "open ended" RPGs. It feels like what companies like Bethesda, Bioware and Obsidian clumsily have been failing to do for a few decades now, and Squaresoft did this all the way back in '93.
Gothic did that for me, a game from the year 2001, glitchy as it is. Things like an NPC stalking my character, as I would explore rocky mountainside, missing step, falling off narrow path and killing himslef. That was a genuine accident equivalent of a real-life fatal coincidence such as the one that met my sister's friend on Mont Blanc some years later.

I believe FF Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers attempted to do something along those lines, but it was too fool-proof to give me that sense of consequence. Admittedly, the Way of the Samurai series looked like more of a Gothic sort of experience, but when I eventually got to play it, my videogaming stamina was already running out.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Finally finished Atelier Firis - there are actually a fair few things I still didn't do, but I've definitely given the game plenty of time, and despite its shortcomings enjoyed myself quite a bit. Now I'm eager to revisit the rest of the post-PS2 entries to see if those manage to click in the same way...though methinks I'll need a change of pace for a bit first.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Obiwanshinobi wrote: Gothic did that for me, a game from the year 2001, glitchy as it is.
Interesting. I heard great stuff about Gothic back in the days and bought a Gothic 1 + 2 collection thing that was out on PC at the time. I don't think I played it more than like an hour into the game, so I don't really have any first hand experience with it.
I think my immediate impression was that the game was extremely dry, and it prevented me from ever making any headway into it. It honestly felt like a bunch of other western open world RPG stuff, like Elder Scrolls, Two Worlds, etc. But I'll keep it in mind to revisit some time in the future.
My girlfriend has since played through the first two Risen games, which are supposedly made by the same people. They looked decent, but came across very generic to me.
I believe FF Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers attempted to do something along those lines, but it was too fool-proof to give me that sense of consequence. Admittedly, the Way of the Samurai series looked like more of a Gothic sort of experience, but when I eventually got to play it, my videogaming stamina was already running out.
The whole Crystal Chronicles subseries is actually spearheaded by SaGa series director Kawazu, all of them coming out during that series' ~15 year absence, and superseded by The Last Remnant, which is supposedly a SaGa game in all but name.
It's an interesting series in that I've never heard anyone talk about disliking the game, but on the other hand I also only rarely hear people speaking favorably of them. Maybe they have some merit worth investigating? I never spent any time with them outside of playing the first one in a full 4 player each with their own connected GBA setup at a meetup, and that was actually a lot of fun.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

How the hell did this spin-off(?) title get a much higher metacritic score than the original game?
The original is completely solid, creative and consistently fun. If you don't like 90s style 3D platformers you obviously won't like it - but if you do, it's among the better outings.
This one, however, is a mostly mediocre and very typical western 2D platformer. It's basically the same concept as Tropical Freeze, except without the same sense of flow, shittier controls, and completely lacking that game's constant onslaught of new fun concepts.

If you like this style of game it's worth spending time with, but don't expect anything memorable.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I was half and half on the original. Started off well, but the levels ended up a bit too sprawling for my liking.
I really want to go back and play Mario Sunshine actually.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Sumez wrote:Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

How the hell did this spin-off(?) title get a much higher metacritic score than the original game?
Politics.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
guigui

Post by guigui »

I'm currently having a blast with Assault Android Cactus on the Switch.
This is an arena twin-stick shooter, with everything done right. Gameplay is very tight and rewarding, visuals are great and animations are polished, challenge is here.
Each level is a new arena, the settings of which change enough to renew the interest frequently. Big bosses with different patterns to avoid.
Lots of characters to unlock, each with a different style of gameplay, score hunts in each arena, online leaderboard.
Highly recommended if you like this kind of short action burst.

Video of one on my favorite arena so far : Transit. Setting is : you're on a moving platform, you have some guns, you destroy many robots. Enjoy :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj_bfKf ... M&index=12
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
NYN

Re: It's dangerous to blow the windfish

Post by NYN »

Hmm.

I couldn't find anything about Link's Awakening for Switch in this topic. Aren't some boasting that the original is the strongest one still?
Well, tell me all about it, if you please.
Or maybe it's finally time for the designated Hey! Excuuuse me, princess! dark world. With special appearance by Blinge.
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ugh, Yookalayleelair really is the euroshmup of platformers.
The controls are entirely at the mercy of a physics simulation rather than a gameplay program, with the buttons affecting inertia rather than directly controlling movement. The stages very obviously take place in 3D space, and it's very easy to end up standing where you obviously shouldn't be able to. Simple actions such as jumping on the head of an enemy ends up feeling like a gamble every other time. It's practically LittleBigPlanet.

Is it really worth it to program a game like this? Why not just have a solid well polished 2D engine and render 3D graphics on top of that?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm up to Turtle Rock in the Link's Awakening remake. I enjoy it quite a bit, but I wish the developer went with digital controls instead of analog. It does keep most of the charm intact and the Hero mode gives a much needed difficulty boost (though the game still isn't very hard).
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ronyn wrote:Hmm.

I couldn't find anything about Link's Awakening for Switch in this topic. Aren't some boasting that the original is the strongest one still?
Or maybe it's finally time for the designated Hey! Excuuuse me, princess! dark world. With special appearance by Blinge.
Hahahah. what? Why me?

Do i need to re-post my tattoo here; because it didn't get enough attention in the other thread. :lol:
it290

Post by it290 »

Ronyn wrote:Hmm.

It's pretty much beat for beat the same as the original (with some control differences and quality of life improvements), so really it just depends on which art style you prefer. I had a great time playing it and hope they use the same engine to port the Oracle games (fat chance though). Only minor beefs are that it has some framerate hiccups and that the new dungeon builder feature is stupid (if it ends up becoming a full Zelda Maker game I'll be very happy though).
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Ajora

Post by Ajora »

I'm very proud to say that I've now finished Deus EX. Incredible masterpiece. I'll definitely replay it one day with the GMDX mod.
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
Steamflogger Boss

Ajora wrote:I'm very proud to say that I've now finished Deus EX. Incredible masterpiece. I'll definitely replay it one day with the GMDX mod.
The original? Great game for sure.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

I never liked the origjnal games, but when I bought a 360 the 2013 reboot came with it and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Rise of the Tomb Raider built on it massively - plenty to explore, tighter mechanics and more engaging puzzles.

Well who shit this third game out? Christ it is dreadful. Crystal Dynamics, that Avengers game had better be mind blowing for you to drop this series and hand it over to a bunch of fuckwits instead.

Controls are arse - Lara will randomly fall off climbable rocks, miss things to swing from and jump to certain death instead of to a ledge
Removal of handholding is taken too far - it's frequently not clear what you can climb (not helped by it being brighter than bright in daylight and darker than darkness literally the rest of the time), so cue plenty of leaps of faith straight to death. Not helping this is the arse controls, so did you fail because Lara didn't grab a ledge when she should have or because you're genuinely going the wrong way?
Combat is almost entirely absent - but where it does exist, it's awful forced stealth. If you're spotted, enemies rush you. Can you gun them all down before they beat you to death? No. You will also die when you get spotted during an especially lengthy "stealth" takedown cutscene (these were shit when you put them in the new Deus Ex games FFS, why are you still doing them)
The game funnels you down a corridor - you have to revisit areas or go properly off the beaten track to explore for tombs and/or hunt stuff. Piss-poor controls/pathfinding make this offputting and while there are sidequests, they're tedious "go here, talk, go there, talk/find thing" with nothing of note as a reward
There's alao a story but it's impossible to care about. All the building up of Trinity as a threat and they're just kind of there to be murdered, actual named antagonists show up so briefly and with such little purpose that it's borderline offensive. Oh yeah I ordered your Dad killed lol, brb off to end the world - fight me at the end, mkay?

The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past

Did another run of this on the Switch online SNES stuff. Some issues with the emulation, ether medallion doesn't show up invisible floors properly and the directional controls suffer some input issues (usually dropped inputs leading to Link facing the wrong way). There's also a lot of slowdown but I'm not sure if this is because it's 60 Hz and I'm used to it on PAL SNES so the slowdown is less noticable?

It's.... not as great as I remember. It's easy to get hit and then end up stuck under an enemy, taking several hits before you can recover, and doorways are oddly precise to navigate if you're on ice or a moving floor. There's also a few spots where it's not obvious how to progress and you just kind of have to stumble on the solution (like the medallion you get from throwing something into a pond), definitely a product of its time in that respect.

The light/dark world interactions are superb though and some of the dungeons are really well put together. On the whole it's still a great game but probably enough issues to knock it off my all times faves list.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The three 'reboot' TR are so divisive, honestly I haven't played any yet, and if I had to pick one or two I'm still not set on which game(s) to leave out.

Shadow is love or hate apparently, and the demographics split 50/50.

It's hard to tell when just watching gameplay videos it looks gorgeous and quite 'TR-like'.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Steamflogger Boss

Every Tomb Raider game ever made sucks tbh.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

We no longer buddies. :evil:

(TR, the originals at least, are among my favourite games ever)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Steamflogger Boss

Xyga wrote:We no longer buddies. :evil:

(TR, the originals at least, are among my favourite games ever)
My tolerance for gen5 clunk is pretty low these days sadly. It's really gotta be 2D, a light gun game or an RPG. Maybe a few exceptions.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:My tolerance for gen5 clunk is pretty low these days sadly. It's really gotta be 2D, a light gun game or an RPG. Maybe a few exceptions.
On the off chance you haven't tried and hated it (or alternatively, quit at the unskippable tutorial* :wink:), try out Silent Bomber - pretty much classic 2D topdown action via polys. Sort of thing that'd typically be done with a sprite set per POV a couple generations earlier, ala the Contras.

*which is still pretty rad with its visions of HELLISH TORMENT :shock:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

TransatlanticFoe wrote: There's also a few spots where it's not obvious how to progress and you just kind of have to stumble on the solution (like the medallion you get from throwing something into a pond), definitely a product of its time in that respect.
I guess this is the reason developers are afraid of making games that ask people to think for themselves nowadays.

I honestly don't feel like the game could have been any more clear. Obviously suspicious circle of rocks in the water. Only one way to actually interact with stuff in the water. Not enough for you? How about the sign telling you not to throw stuff into the circle. I guess you took the sign too literally. :3
Link to the Past is already one of the more hand-holding Zelda games as it is, and I can't imagine getting stuck in it.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Sumez wrote: Link to the Past is already one of the more hand-holding Zelda games as it is
Compared to the series as a whole? c'mon.