What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Squire Grooktook

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by Squire Grooktook »

iirc MML2 had a number of little QoL improvements. An actual lock on, some control tweaks, etc. I seem to recall it was a little less janky and wonky to actually play moment to moment. But I can't remember the quality of the game as a whole.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Legends 2 has an underwater dungeon. In the sidescrolling games, that just means you jump higher and fall slower. In 3D, it's actually like moving underwater.

Being set on different islands gives it more climate variety, but it misses that grand interconnected design of Kattelox.

The first Legends was a consistently good experience for me, though. If you're not doing so already, you should be circle-strafing during boss fights whenever humanly possible. You might also concentrate on upgrading the Active Buster, which requires you to stay planted when firing, but is guided and extremely strong to compensate.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Marc

Post by Marc »

I think I'm gonna have to abandon SH Downpour. I've exited the first apartment building where spooky Morgan Freeman guy turns up again, and am now wondering about the map without a clue what I'm supposed to me doing. I'm bored of running away from enemies, even more bored of having to get into terrible, terrible fights, bored of waggling the stick every time one of those stupid things screams at you, and bored of pressing A because I can't tell what smaller items might be lying around in the murk, only for it to turn out yet another useless weapon.

I've been in the bank, where I could find nothing of interest. I've started the missing girl quest, but can only seem to find one ribbon. I've been in the place with the paintings, but don't have enough to complete the full thing yet. There's an apartment building marked with a ? that looks like I should be able to get into it, but I can't reach the ladder and I can't find anything to pull it down with.

I'm not sure I'm as disappointed with this as I was Shattered Memories though, as I didn't expect much out of this in the first place.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
ryu

Post by ryu »

You should at least try getting through the mines for the real Downpour experience™
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Mines? Yeah done that bit (painful), I was in Silent Hill proper - the town part.
Anyway I managed to figure out where the hell I was going and got into the Centennial Building. After the bank of course, of my god, the bank, Waves of enemies, in a SH game? I could have cried. Came very close to using the disc as a frisbee when, on the 5th wave, despite my gun being locked on to the last enemy, it flat-out refused to hit him, then I died.

Again, the game is now frustrating because it almost starts hanging together as a SH(ish) game. I was a bit perturbed when it starting throwing those ghost shadow things at me before I realised that the actual doll is their generator, Gauntlet style. Atmosphere is great, location is good, puzzles are quite enjoyable....it's almost there. It still lacks that edge of other-worldliness, the slow, nightmare quality that the first couple had, but as a more direct Western tribute act, starring Nice Man Stuck in a Bad Place, this bit is OK.

I just know I'm going to end up back outside following it's poorly-laid breadcrumbs, and doing my usual Benny Hill routine with six monsters at some point though, and it's somewhat depressing.

Think I'm almost done with Sonic Transformed. All WT events and GP's completed on hard, all characters bar one unlocked - guessing that's behind the 200-star gate? No intention of going for Expert levels, the races can be too much of a lottery even on Hard.

Stuck on a huge dragon boss on Salt and Sanctuary, but still not fully engaged with it if I'm being honest.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Marc wrote: Think I'm almost done with Sonic Transformed. All WT events and GP's completed on hard, all characters bar one unlocked - guessing that's behind the 200-star gate? No intention of going for Expert levels, the races can be too much of a lottery even on Hard.
Did you try Team Sonic Racing ? I did and found it was a bit flat compared to Transformed, mostly because of the whole team stuff (did not try online because I'm not paying for those kind of services).

I just ordered Crash Team Racing (did not play the original) and expect a lot from it, reading all the reviews.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Marc

Post by Marc »

guigui wrote:
Marc wrote: Think I'm almost done with Sonic Transformed. All WT events and GP's completed on hard, all characters bar one unlocked - guessing that's behind the 200-star gate? No intention of going for Expert levels, the races can be too much of a lottery even on Hard.
Did you try Team Sonic Racing ? I did and found it was a bit flat compared to Transformed, mostly because of the whole team stuff (did not try online because I'm not paying for those kind of services).

I just ordered Crash Team Racing (did not play the original) and expect a lot from it, reading all the reviews.
Haven't yet but it's in the pile, though at the moment I'll probably head backwards and pick up the original Sonic & Sega Racing again before going for Team.

Remember playing CTR on the PS1 back in the day. Remember thinking even then that it was a poor man's MK - and that was up against the slightly above-average MK64 and the decidedly average Diddy Kong Racing.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Finally made it to the end of Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain on NDS.

Nice little ultima underworld game. Felt quite true to my childhood memories of the book.

Found some stupid fish on the wall that I had unwittingly completed the sidequest for. It just so happens to be the most powerful enemy in the game. This is rather odd as such absurdist humour hasn't really been in the game so far. Sarcasm and self-awareness, yes.. but not this.
Unfortunately, the combat is elder scrolls tier. I'm at the warlock himself and some of his spells one-shot me.
Wish I'd levelled INT in any way as I now realise that increases magic defense. hurrrrk.

There was an early conversation with a quest-giving dwarf that amused me.
" have you done [quest] yet? "
Me: I can't do everything at once!
" Just do one thing once then. "
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

In hopes of gaining a wider perspective and giving the series a fair shot after giving up on the first Mega Man Legends, over the past few days I tried both Misadventures of Tron Bonne and Legends 2; sad to say, while I got at least a little ways into both, I ended up abandoning them in like manner. While both games do improve on at least some of the first's flaws while keeping me eager to see what manner of Servbot-fueled silliness awaited, the overall experience felt much the same to me in the end: near-constant wrestling with the lock-on/camera, grinding for enough zenny to progress, and just plain not enjoying the journey enough to bother with the destination. I can very much understand why the games are cult classics, and would be genuinely interested in a remake or new entry that could finally and decisively ditch the jankiness while retaining the all-important charm, but as it stands, while I honestly feel a bit bad about it in spite of everything, I just can't hang with the existing titles.

Currently heading down a new route in my "been sitting in the backlog too long" realm, I'm giving The Witch and the Hundred Knight on PS4 a try - it's an action-RPG hack-and-slasher with the usual NIS complement of overlapping background systems and obtuse terms labeling them all, so I'm still figuring out how everything works, but in the early going I seem to be getting by okay. The basic idea seems to revolve around your character's "calories", which are essentially a timer for how long you can remain in a particular area: they slowly decrease with most actions (including taking damage, which it's automatically drained to gradually refill), and you need to use items or sacrifice other resources to refill them, but the longer you stick around and explore/fight the higher a grade you'll earn when you're done, and the better the prizes that come with it.

The main thorn in my side so far is honestly the titular witch: I know that the whole idea is that you're playing the (minion of the) "bad guy" here, with all the pillaging and whatnot that implies, but especially coming directly off the likable Bonne clan she's just a completely irredeemable jerk. Yeah, there are hints that there's a reason she turned out to be the terrible person she is, but I honestly doubt I'll ever find her anything but utterly unpleasant, whatever gets uncovered. This is also one of the rare cases in which I find myself switching the voice track over to Japanese, to make her regular edgy-vulgar outbursts less grating on the ears.
kitten

Post by kitten »

^ i would (confidently) say that both legends 2 and misadventures are dramatically worse than the first game. MML2 in particular is painfully full of gimmicky dungeons and tedious, obnoxious status effects that make the game like a bad zelda. it also loses the interconnection that kattleox had and a lot of the homely feel of the first game. beyond that, it's got a really bad zenny grind (particularly if you take yourself to the highest dungeon rank, which makes some bosses horribly overpowered) and a lot of awful distractions (like the quiz game) that just waste time - whereas the first game is really surprisingly purposeful in its extras and i never found myself in much need for zenny.

MML1 is one of my very favorite games of all time, but aside from some slick visuals and similarly pleasant storytelling, i almost outright hate the second.

as for having difficulty with the controls, i hear this one from people all the time, but i've always personally found them really elegant! they're some of my favorite 3d character controls, and really similar to the ones in king's field (II), which i also adore. maybe i just really like circle strafing.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Marc

Post by Marc »

Blinge wrote:Finally made it to the end of Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain on NDS.
I keep seeing the Switch version which has me interested - not sure how much it has to do with the book, but it looks like the old Hero Quest board game. Currently on sale for a tenner, will probably cave in this week.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Picked up Blaster Master Zero on Steam, could never finish it as a kid.

It always took me about two hours or so to reach stage eight. Game over every time. Eventually I stopped trying.

This one is good. Pretty solid on all fronts, music is just OK though. I would say it is almost too easy though..
My lord, I have come for you.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen. I've played through the base game, and while it was an improvement over Firaxis's last, it was still lacking in key ways compared to UFO Defense. WotC has a lot of small elaborations that flesh out the experience.

What I like least about the expansion are the Chosen themselves. They show up in missions and it's like, hold everything, guys, we need to deal with this prima donna. Encountering a new alien type in the good prior XCOMs was tense; you didn't know what they could do and needed to figure it out fast or be exterminated. Chosen introduce themselves with speed dating cards telling your their likes & gripes. They're also set up more toward capturing your soldiers than killing them. The non-combat plots they carry out have been underwhelming. The Chosen Assassin sneaked into my HQ... and stole an extended magazine and an auto-loader.

I used conventional between-mission saving during my normal XCOM 2 run and had a fair number of reloads. I guess familiarity cuts a lot of the challenge, since I'm doing normal Ironman and have had only two fatalities so far.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Marc wrote:
Blinge wrote:Finally made it to the end of Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain on NDS.
I keep seeing the Switch version which has me interested - not sure how much it has to do with the book, but it looks like the old Hero Quest board game. Currently on sale for a tenner, will probably cave in this week.
I think that's just a visual novel instead of a game with active combat.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
ryu

Post by ryu »

Anyone else playing the new Mario Maker? I think we had a thread for sharing course IDs last time, but nobody has mentioned playing the new game yet.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I'm on it. Only made one stage so far though, and even though I thought I made it easy, only one person has cleared it so far.

Really, making easy stages is suprisingly hard.
pinwolf

Post by pinwolf »

Amid Evil
TheHunter: Call of the Wild
Field of Glory II
Megadimension Neptunia VII
Touhou Luna Nights
Girl X Mushrooms(少女X蘑菇)
Marc

Post by Marc »

Been playing some Burnout Revenge. I was less than impressed with it back in the day and abandoned it pretty quickly on Xbox, but these days I’m that short of a good arcade racer that I thought I’d give the 360 version a spin… it’s OK. A long way behind the excellence of the original pair, but much better than the horrible Takedown. Main issue is the complete lack of challenge at the moment, which is why I think I gave up on it originally, it just takes so long to get going. I also remember having an issue with visibility on the Xbox, the only time I ever seemed to crash was when I literally couldn’t see where the track was headed, but that’s obviously mostly resolved with the jump into HD. It actually remains a really nice-looking game, quite surprised by how well it holds up. I’ll have to get around to picking up Dangerous Driving at some point, though having played a few other ‘Dangerous’ games I’m more worried about performance than anything else.

More Downpour. The clock tower bit was pretty good, very atmospheric, and actually had an identity of its own rather than cribbing mercilessly from the previous games. Very mixed bag so far.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Sumez wrote:I'm on it. Only made one stage so far though, and even though I thought I made it easy, only one person has cleared it so far.

Really, making easy stages is suprisingly hard.
Post the ID, I'm curious. Agreed that making easy stages is difficult.

Here's one of my IDs PHF-J03-3LF
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Currently heading down a new route in my "been sitting in the backlog too long" realm, I'm giving The Witch and the Hundred Knight on PS4 a try - it's an action-RPG hack-and-slasher with the usual NIS complement of overlapping background systems and obtuse terms labeling them all, so I'm still figuring out how everything works, but in the early going I seem to be getting by okay. The basic idea seems to revolve around your character's "calories", which are essentially a timer for how long you can remain in a particular area: they slowly decrease with most actions (including taking damage, which it's automatically drained to gradually refill), and you need to use items or sacrifice other resources to refill them, but the longer you stick around and explore/fight the higher a grade you'll earn when you're done, and the better the prizes that come with it.

The main thorn in my side so far is honestly the titular witch: I know that the whole idea is that you're playing the (minion of the) "bad guy" here, with all the pillaging and whatnot that implies, but especially coming directly off the likable Bonne clan she's just a completely irredeemable jerk. Yeah, there are hints that there's a reason she turned out to be the terrible person she is, but I honestly doubt I'll ever find her anything but utterly unpleasant, whatever gets uncovered. This is also one of the rare cases in which I find myself switching the voice track over to Japanese, to make her regular edgy-vulgar outbursts less grating on the ears.
I remember wanting to like this game but I just couldn't.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BulletMagnet wrote: The main thorn in my side so far is honestly the titular witch: I know that the whole idea is that you're playing the (minion of the) "bad guy" here, with all the pillaging and whatnot that implies, but especially coming directly off the likable Bonne clan she's just a completely irredeemable jerk. Yeah, there are hints that there's a reason she turned out to be the terrible person she is, but I honestly doubt I'll ever find her anything but utterly unpleasant, whatever gets uncovered. This is also one of the rare cases in which I find myself switching the voice track over to Japanese, to make her regular edgy-vulgar outbursts less grating on the ears.
So she's basically a worse Lina Inverse?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I haven't watched Slayers in like 20+ years, but isn't Lina Inverse inherently a good person who's just hot tempered and a little selfish?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Sumez wrote:I haven't watched Slayers in like 20+ years, but isn't Lina Inverse inherently a good person who's just hot tempered and a little selfish?
Depends on what is meant by "good person". She's no near as evil as the witch (which is what I meant by "worse"), but she's more than just a little selfish.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Never seen Slayers myself, but somehow I doubt that character is anywhere near as aggressively unpleasant as this one; while most every "play the bad guy" game has you beating up the heroes and taking over their villages, in this one the antagonist always makes sure to humiliate and torment them afterwards too, and not in a particularly humorous way to take the edge off either. Honestly, I think you need to be a bit messed up to truly enjoy the game's scenario.

Game-wise the bugger has started to show its fangs a bit; the first two areas were largely cake walks, but the next couple are a good deal harder to hang around in long enough to earn the full prize list, and will probably require more than one trip to finish by retreating and powering back up before running out of resources. Nothing insurmountable, but you'll need to get more on the ball than at first, especially with enemies quick enough to chase you down, since trying to run away from them will only end up giving you a larger horde to deal with.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

BulletMagnet wrote:Never seen Slayers myself, but somehow I doubt that character is anywhere near as aggressively unpleasant as this one; while most every "play the bad guy" game has you beating up the heroes and taking over their villages, in this one the antagonist always makes sure to humiliate and torment them afterwards too, and not in a particularly humorous way to take the edge off either. Honestly, I think you need to be a bit messed up to truly enjoy the game's scenario.

Game-wise the bugger has started to show its fangs a bit; the first two areas were largely cake walks, but the next couple are a good deal harder to hang around in long enough to earn the full prize list, and will probably require more than one trip to finish by retreating and powering back up before running out of resources. Nothing insurmountable, but you'll need to get more on the ball than at first, especially with enemies quick enough to chase you down, since trying to run away from them will only end up giving you a larger horde to deal with.

As someone who played the game (didn't finish) and has watched every bit of Slayers anime there is I would say they are not a terribly similar character. The Witch is a truly awful character.

I'm starting Onimusha tonight. It got voted for a game of the month type deal and I should be able to get through it since it's not terribly long.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Finished Blaster Master Zero.

Worth the trip through once unless you really like BM. There are a few things they could have improved upon that would have made me far more likely to want to play it again:

1 - There is a hard mode, but you have to do specific shit to open it up. Finishing the game should have been enough, as I have no desire to play through normal again. I would have played hard mode if I had access to it.

2 - There are a few GREAT ideas (regarding boss fights) that weren't used nearly enough.

In the end I'll say it's good, but could have been better. Not on the same level as Bionic Commando Rearmed as far as remakes go.

Looking a lot at stuff like Hong Kong Massacre and God's Trigger but I decided to go for the progenitor and picked up Hotline Miami.

I clearly dig 80's inspired one hit kill games.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Stevens wrote: In the end I'll say it's good, but could have been better. Not on the same level as Bionic Commando Rearmed as far as remakes go.
Hotline Miami is an absolute trip, I'm sure you'll enjoy. Loved it myself, despite it driving me to tears of frustration on more than one occasion. Still got the sequel untouched on the PS4 HD as of yet.

Also, regarding Rearmed, is the sequel significantly different/worse than the original? I played Rearmed 2 but found it pretty underwhelming, yet I keep hearing the original mentioned as a remake done right?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Marc wrote:
Also, regarding Rearmed, is the sequel significantly different/worse than the original? I played Rearmed 2 but found it pretty underwhelming, yet I keep hearing the original mentioned as a remake done right?
I felt the same way about Rearmed 2, played a few stages and never went back to it. I guess it's possible it gets really good later on, but I'm not going to find out!

I did play most of the 2009 reboot too. It wasn't bad, but kind of generic? Would have been better with more of an open world approach. The linearity did it no favors. You do get some cool abilities with the arm though.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BulletMagnet wrote:Never seen Slayers myself, but somehow I doubt that character is anywhere near as aggressively unpleasant as this one; while most every "play the bad guy" game has you beating up the heroes and taking over their villages, in this one the antagonist always makes sure to humiliate and torment them afterwards too, and not in a particularly humorous way to take the edge off either. Honestly, I think you need to be a bit messed up to truly enjoy the game's scenario.
Definitely sounds much worse than Lina Inverse. Lina's a bit of "witch", but she's not outright evil and shows a good side at times.

I heard Rearmed 2 is quite a different beast from the first Rearmed (which I enjoyed quite a bit) and made some questionable design choices like adding a jump and changing the bionic arm controls IIRC.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Rearmed 2 was an iffy, point-missing follow-up to one of the best remakes there's ever been - and I generally wouldn't trust a remake as far as I could throw it. Rearmed improved on almost every aspect of the original game in terms of its mechanics and overall 'feel', and had a really gorgeous, warm, high-bloom visual style. It's chock full of genuinely compelling and interesting challenges outside the main story (mainly to do with your unique mode of traversal), and Simon Viklund's interpretations of its music were all great, too. It's on PC now, and frequently on sale for next to nothing, so I highly recommend checking it out.