What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
WelshMegalodon

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by WelshMegalodon »

ED-057 wrote:a Super Robot Taisen clone which features magical girls in lieu of mechs
You simply must tell us what it's called! (And whether it's playable in English!)

Is it Majokko Daisakusen, by any chance? That's the only SRW-like game with magical girls that I know of, and it's not even all that much like SRW.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest

It's a fantasy version of Into the Breach by the Legend of Grimrock people, but with expansive hand-crafted levels instead of tight randomly-generated ones.

I'm really liking it so far!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

> gets excited for a magical girl crossover game
> all the characters are from 2hu

:oops:
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

You've only yourself to blame..
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

data east's robocop is pretty dang rad. the platforming is similar to splatterhouse but with guns
nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
Marc

Post by Marc »

Okay, last mention of All-Star Racing Transformed, then I’ll be quiet. After getting in quite a few hours, I have to say this is now on a par with the absolute best MK games (MK, Super Circuit, DS, MK8) for me. It’s a combination of the sublime handling and the boost-granting tricks on the second stick – it feels immensely satisfying to learn a track to the point where it can be boosted round in its entirety. The ‘Traffic’ events are absolutely fantastic, particularly on hard, occasionally frustrating, but in that ‘I KNOW I can do this’ kind of way.

Flaws are few and far between, but I’d point to the Pursuit and Battle events. Pursuit is just beyond tedious, in particular the third phase where the tank is dropping walls behind it which your missiles sometime flat-out refuse to break. The battle events are just beyond random – I’ve lost all three lives on the first lap without a clue what I could have done differently, and won them by doing absolutely nothing differently from the previous attempt.

Also, Curien Mansion is the greatest bit piece of fan service in any video game, ever. Probably the standout track of the game so far, with Shinobi and Afterburner not far behind.

In short, if you have even a passing interest in the type of racer and have somehow managed to avoid playing this, please do so.
One of those games where I'd be quite happy to shell out again for a 60/1080 remaster.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
guigui

Post by guigui »

Totally supporting the S&ASR Transformed love here. Better time than never to play it now waiting for its sequel this tuesday.

I did not play the first game Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (jeez, are those names confusing ?!), would you rate it above or beyond the second marc ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Marc wrote: In short, if you have even a passing interest in the type of racer and have somehow managed to avoid playing this, please do so.
For what it's worth, Jak X: Combat Racing got a re-release on PS4 A.D. 2017, so I'd recommend that to PS4-owners as well, although I haven't played the PS2 original in about a decade, hence I've no idea how I would like it these days. It has to be said, Burnout 3: Takedown (originally purchased soon after Jak X, as I wanted a second fill of such antics from that PS2 of mine), re-visited last year or so, annoyed me with stuff I wouldn't mind back in the day (still not a bad game by any means, just... underdeveloped).
Marc wrote: One of those games where I'd be quite happy to shell out again for a 60/1080 remaster.
Doesn't the PC original sport both features straight out of the box? No baiting here, serious question, for I read Split/Second: Velocity is locked at 30 fps on PC as it is on consoles, whereas Blur can do 60 fps on a PC, so it could not be taken for granted in their time and age still.

Last but not least, if you keep playing vehicular combat games on PS3, but have yet to encounter Full Auto 2: Battlelines, I couldn't recommend it enough... played in no more than 720p. Possibly a placebo effect this, but I find its framerates more palatable in 720p than they seem to me in 1080p. I'd also happily disable the anti-aliasing, if doing so could improve its performance in any a way.
Oh yes, as for the part of it I've played through, it's perfectly serviceable without resorting to "Unwreck" command. I read one review of 1st where someone'd found it too easy because of the "Unwreck" feature, than another one, of 2nd, mentioning that the latter's "Unwreck" was not helpful enough this time around. A word to the wise - simply don't use "Unwreck" whatsoever.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Ajora

Post by Ajora »

Assault Suits Valken for the Super Famicom. It's pretty awesome. 
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I started playing Strikey Sisters on Switch. It's a strange port that keeps the vsync option and PC style controller setting options with "controller 0", etc., but it seems to be a good port otherwise.
Marc

Post by Marc »

guigui wrote:Totally supporting the S&ASR Transformed love here. Better time than never to play it now waiting for its sequel this tuesday.

I did not play the first game Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (jeez, are those names confusing ?!), would you rate it above or beyond the second marc ?
Honestly, back at the time, I found it competent enough, if slightly uninspired.
Given that I was so wrong about Transformer first time around though, I'll no doubt be picking up another cheap copy in order to re-asses.
Also, I just read Kotaku's review of Transformed... definitely belongs in the 'worst professional reviews ever' thread. Basically, a full page of 'Waaah, game is too hard for me, therefore its existence is pointless'.

Played some WWE Legends over the weekend with my son. Closest thing to a modern update of the N64 classics as we're every likely to get. VERY similar controls, (soft/hard strike and grapple buttons, strike/grabble reverse buttons, pin/pickup and run/climb), with a lot more pace. Good fun.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Finished up the Witcher 3 DLC.... quite substantial pieces of content ! I think overall I did prefer them to the main game, which is high praise indeed, they really knocked it out of the park. Hearts of Stone was just a fantastic story in every aspect, while the world of Blood & Wine drew me in completely. Finishing this game feels like I'm entering a new stage of my life :lol:
Spoiler
But as bittersweet as it is to be "done" with such a choice game I'm happy to report these stories ended on considerably more positive terms for me than the main game. Saving Ogreid's soul in Hearts of Stone felt just as much about opening up the possibility of forgiveness for Geralt, and the final shot of Gaunter going all evil and clapping is one of the most intense cinematic in any game! Spooky dude, that one.

Meanwhile in Blood & Wine - OK, sure, vampires killed a lot of folk - but Anna and Syanna became besties again so I think it's a win overall <3. Another thing I really liked about this ending though was how it completed the bad ending I got to the main game. After the misery of losing Ciri we get to see Gerald (and Yen for me) settle down together and try to find a peace that he (probably) deserves.

This DLC in particular is a great demonstration of how the Witcher and other fantasy series shine when exposing the contradictions and limitations of "fairytale stories" in the real world. Of course Syanna's imprisonment in a world of warped fairytales was a distillation of this providing the perfect mirror to Toussaint itself.

I hope I have an old save so I can go and chat to that Unseen dude.

I'm also contemplating a higher difficulty NG+ run. The skills system in this game is actually pretty great but you're kind of starved of ability points to experiment for most of it. And of course on normal difficulty (especially when you forget to turn on level scaling) you only need to spam attack to win anyway - there's a part where you storm a castle in Blood & Wine and it was just brutal, Geralt cutting through those poor bois like butter.
So in summary, there are cats but you cannot pet them, 0/10.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Haha. having played 1 and read the saga (which was..alright..)
I can't wait to play 2 and get on with 3.

..whenever I have the time.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ah man, that Yakuza 0 ending... *gulp*
Now, on to Kiwami 2, or wait for Judgement Eyes?

Also I've just realised I have Tales of Vesperia on the PS4 hard drive - any good for someone into more traditional RPG's?

Also:
Did anyone play a decent way into Lords of Shadow, and if so, does it get any better than the first chapter?

The combat not being as technical as a DMC / NG doesn’t bother me, but the linearity so far does. I was expecting at least some exploration between the fighting, but essentially it’s a series of (very pretty) fixed-camera corridors with the odd open area to scrap in, and a few branches off the main path here and there. I’m not sure I’m willing to invest any more time into it if it remains this way, which would be a shame, because it definitely shows promise. I just don’t have the inclination to spend several hours waiting for the game to open up anymore.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Marc wrote:Also I've just realised I have Tales of Vesperia on the PS4 hard drive - any good for someone into more traditional RPG's?
I only played a short ways into it some time ago, but while I remember liking the look and characters, I also found the combat unpleasantly stiff. Maybe that aspect gets better later on, but I never got far enough to find out.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Marc wrote: Did anyone play a decent way into Lords of Shadow, and if so, does it get any better than the first chapter?
Second chapter is dope.

Apart from the writing..
That's my opinion from 2012 though.

3rd chapter is just... I guess it's more interesting from a gameplay or scenario perspective but that's where the story really, REALLY shits itself. Also you might consider the environments bland at the end.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

God Hand. It's truly the greatest 3D beat em up.
BulletMagnet wrote:
Marc wrote:Also I've just realised I have Tales of Vesperia on the PS4 hard drive - any good for someone into more traditional RPG's?
I only played a short ways into it some time ago, but while I remember liking the look and characters, I also found the combat unpleasantly stiff. Maybe that aspect gets better later on, but I never got far enough to find out.
Vesperia is a good game later on when you have a vastly expanded moveset and additional skills that allow you more movement options, but it has the weakest combat in the early game of the series. This is in part due to enemies being very fast and aggressive, the Free Run mechanic being nerfed (after how powerful it was in Abyss), and several early characters being slow and unwieldy. Healer characters in the Tales series are often competent melee fighters (Rutee, Reala, Tear) or have decent to good AI available that you can setup (Tear, Raine/Refill, Annie). The early healer you get, Estelle, is atrocious and arguably the worst healer in the game if not in the series due to how slow and unwieldy she is early on. Try playing as Estelle and controlling her; it's awful how slow she is and how clunky her attack animations are.

Later on you get healers who heal faster and better (no casting times) and who also are better on offense than Estelle is. Their AI also isn't awful when it comes to healing, whereas Estelle is genuinely bad (at least on the XB360 version, they may have adjusted her AI for the updated release). Setting her to prioritize Healing often causes her to run up and attack with her basic melee. Setting her to Artes Only prevents this, but she waits until people are much more injured before using healing spells. Setting a shortcut and manually ordering her to heal (where she'll then target the lowest HP char) may be best early on.
kitten

Post by kitten »

something like 6 hours into subnautica and enjoying it quite a bit. has pretty good pacing for a game like this and frankly feels a little more like a 3D interpretation of super motherload or miner dig deep (xblig) or steamworld dig (my least fav of these three) than it does most other survival games out on the market, which often bore me to death. nice alternative to just going back to minecraft and losing myself in endless, autistic obsession.

feels like ages since i just jumped into and quickly began to enjoy a modern game, so this has been really refreshing. very pretty-looking, lots to do, good at urging you into pleasantly simple routines with just enough risk to keep you from losing yourself in the doldrums. i like how much your effective safe distance from your initial craft (and later, your bases) is determined by your current equipment and risk level. very reminiscent of the returns to your bases in those three aforementioned games. i really like to consider my little areas i build homely, and enjoy returning to them after filling the inventory up.

my main complaint so far is that storage solutions are maybe too restrictive, and it takes way too long for you to discover how to build interior lockers (or even a place to HAVE an interior). i was shuffling between like ten or so different submersible mini-lockers before finally able to import my stash to a more reasonable storage solution. kind of hoping there's an option for teleporters between bases, later on, as transporting the contents of the storage of your first base to another would otherwise be jarringly tedious.

there's some pretty neat layers of mystery to this game, and i suggest jumping in *mostly* blind and just figuring things out on the go - it's good at directing you toward new things if you're dawdling or a bit stuck with how to find a new resource.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Resident Evil 2 Remake

S+ ranked both routes of the game (Claire -> Leon B and Leon -> Claire B) on hardcore. Did a hardcore no-item-box run, a hardcore no damage run, and currently almost done with a hardcore pacifism (boss kills only) run.

So yeah, this game is pretty fantastic. Survival and horror is fun, shooting is good and requires some skill with zombies random movement while leaving you feeling constantly vulnerable, planning your routes with limited resources is great and is well balanced with lots of ways to play, and making it to a safe room is always a glorious nerve/tension release.

Might go on my desert island stash.

Devil May Cry V

Feels to me what DMC4 would've been if they didn't run out of time/budget midway through.

My current ranking of the series would be:

3 > 5 > 4 > 1 > 2

I think 3 is still the most perfect, alchemic game. It has just the right balance of stuff. Just enough that you feel you have infinite freedom at any given moment, but just limited enough that hitting those SSS Ranks feels like an exhilarating, mentally demanding rush. 4 in comparison felt too "anything goes" for me, where your arsenal is so vast that it's harder to repeat moves than it is to vary them. DMC5 feels a lot more balanced and smart in this regard, although I still feel that 3 does it best.

All that aside, 5 is great. Enemy variety is solid (another one of 4's weaknesses). Pacing is pretty good. I'm glad they didn't take a page from Platinum and make it into an i-frame dodge / parry-fest rhythm game: actually being able to maneuver around and outspace enemy attacks while getting creative with your awesome mobility tools is glorious.

I'd say my biggest complaint is that Nero is still not as much fun to play. He's not bad, but with only one weapon he lacks the feeling of unlimited freedom that Dante relishes. They try to give him more of a toybox with the Metal Slug disposable weapon pick ups in stages, but eh, doesn't feel like they nailed it. V - while a cool battler conceptually - also outright feels horrible thanks to the ugly muddy laggy feeling of commanding his familiars, I wish he wasn't playable.

I also wish there were one or two more "duel" fights with hitstunnable opponents. But ah well, the bosses are still great and Dante is a joy to play.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Marc

Post by Marc »

All-Star Racing Transformed, completed every event on Hard and opened up the final cup and expert levels. I’ll clear the final cup, but I’ve no intention of starting on expert – there were events on Hard that I finished with literally nothing left on the clock, so I think that was the sweet spot for me.
Oh, and the AI in Grand Prix mode cheats just as hard, if not harder, than any MK game I’ve ever played.

So, I’ve heard the name a bit, and I think I watched an ex play bits of it through (in fact, I’m wondering if this copy I didn’t know I owned was hers), but seriously, what the FUCK is Deadly Premonition?

It’s like someone looked at Silent Hill, decided that all the symbolism, restraint and atmosphere was for pussies, and took lots of LSD while trying to put their own spin on it. I don’t even know if I’m having fun – the basics of gun and camera control are utterly shocking. The first ‘case’ has led me into what looked to be an open area, then funnelled me around it with FOG WALLS, then let me spend ten minutes running around those corridors with no idea whatsoever what I was supposed to be doing, then insta-killed me when some red dude jumped out of a bush I’d previously passed a half-dozen times and split my head open with an axe. This is in between making me press A to ‘PROFILE’, watching the protagonist scratch his chin while he examines CLUES and talks to himself, and solve puzzles that would make Resident Evil blush.

And yet, I’ll probably play another hour or so tonight. I’m intrigued if nothing else.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

You never played Deadly Premonition? It's amazing, one of the best experiences of its generation - I wish I could experience it for the first time again.
Enjoy! And don't forget to delve into all the little things the town has to offer. Last time I played it with a bunch of friends we cycled through every single coffee message, which took forever, but it was worth it. I love that you can explore the entirety of the giant hotel you're staying at (as, apparently, the only person), but nothing ever happens there. And feel free to take a few aimless drives just to hear the main character rant about movies and 80s bands.

I'm also surprised you tried to describe the game without even namedropping Twin Peaks once.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Ha, I'm OLD man, it's been many years since I watched an episode of Twin Peaks, but yeah I can see where you're coming from.
He did Mulholland Drive as well right? I remember that being weird as shit too. I don't watch a lot of TV, but maybe I'll start TP again, I tend to watch one episode of a program while I settle down to sleep on the few occasions I find something I'm into.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Deadly Premonition has been on my toplay list forever :oops: how's the Director's Cut btw ? worth it ?
Last edited by Xyga on Fri May 24, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I do know that the PC port is buggy and requires mods/patches to be more stable (look up guides for them), and even then will have the occasional crash. The 360/PS3 versions work as intended. I can't remember what the director's cut adds, but the base game is definitely worth experiencing. Pure kitsch, in a good way.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Anima: Gates of Memories

I couldn't resist. It's on deep discount at gog and all the reviews compared it to Devil May Cry and Bayonetta. Is it as good as Devil May Cry? No, of course not.

Is it decent at least? Surprisingly yes. If this were a doujin game it would be god-tier. The basic enemies have all been glorified punching bags so far, but the couple mini bosses I've fought put up a surprisingly vicious fight. It's also the most playable 3D brawler with keyboard and mouse controls I've ever tried, thanks in part to the basic combo autofiring.

I'd place it above the 3D Legacy of Kain games but below Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks in terms of combat gameplay so far, but that assessment could change as I unlock more moves.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
NYN

Re: you're not on the list *uppercut* I am now

Post by NYN »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
My current ranking of the series would be:

3 > 5 > 4 > 1 > 2
Not meaning to rub you wrong, but :lol: why's 2 even on the list when evrybdy nose it's not even close to matter and being only relatable in name as the rear end?
Speaking of the devil that no one wants to summon: DmC is not dmc enough to even make it? As a :) disgrace?

( please kindly hold your holster here, Mischief Maker, I do know about your disposition )
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Stevens wrote:3rd trip through Katana Zero. WHY IS NO ONE ELSE PLAYING THIS?
Okay, in all seriousness, HOW CAN YOU STAND THIS GAME?!!

Every time the action starts to pick up the screen glitches and you're stuck in a half-hour long TIMED conversation cutscene. Did I buy a fast-paced action game or did I buy a Jacob's Ladder-inspired visual novel? It's maddening the way the pace starts and stops.

If you like a fast-paced action platformer with bullet-time mechanics, I recommend Bleed 2. It's a game that knows what it wants to be.

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Mischief Maker wrote:
Stevens wrote:3rd trip through Katana Zero. WHY IS NO ONE ELSE PLAYING THIS?
Okay, in all seriousness, HOW CAN YOU STAND THIS GAME?!!
Besides the top notch pixel art, tight game play, and amazing soundtrack the story actually grabbed me. That said if pacing is an issue for you you'll be happy to know that their is free dlc coming out this month adding a hard and speed run mode.

Speed run allows you to skip the story.
My lord, I have come for you.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Donkey Kong '94 (Game Boy)
A stupendous little game,with incredible level design, and some great Mario physics. Music is very fun too.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...