What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
CIT

Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Post by CIT »

I played Okami recently, and really enjoyed it. Still seemed really timeless and fresh to me. Although maybe it's because I play so many ancient games, that those are my main point of reference. :lol:
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Immryr wrote:I'm still playing Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. I'm about 40 hours in and it feels like there is only going to be one or two more battles to come. I've really enjoyed playing through this, leveling up my team, finding cool job / passive ability combos etc. It doesn't really bring anything new or revolutionary to the genre, but it's well made and feels really cosy.

Their take on a blue mage type thing is a lot less fiddly than in the FFT games, for sure. I've got mine set up like some kind of hilarious suicide bomber. He's got several pairs of boots to increase his movement range, gains mp for distance travelled, has a counter which does AoE damage on death, auto rebirth plus a suicidemove which damages all enemies with higher damage for close proximity.

I've also been messing about with Subnautica a bit. quite enjoying this one, although I've never played any of these kind of survival/crafting games before. It's very easy to spend huge chunks of time just messing around, starting to do one thing, getting distracted, starting something else, then realising that you've done absolutely nothing.

I've made a decent start on my underwater base, got some food production going, and made a little submersible. I have no idea what I'm really supposed to be doing, I'm just following clues and looking for new things to make my base better. My next plan is to look for a way to upgrade my sub so I can explore deeper areas.
one thing i forgot to mention which i particularly like about subnautica, there is no map. this means you really need to get to know your surroundings on your own, making mental maps and taking note of the geological landmarks. it somehow adds to both the feeling of being lost and alone on a hostile world, and the tranquil feeling of just swimming around looking for things.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Immryr wrote:I've also been messing about with Subnautica a bit. quite enjoying this one, although I've never played any of these kind of survival/crafting games before. It's very easy to spend huge chunks of time just messing around, starting to do one thing, getting distracted, starting something else, then realising that you've done absolutely nothing.

I've made a decent start on my underwater base, got some food production going, and made a little submersible. I have no idea what I'm really supposed to be doing, I'm just following clues and looking for new things to make my base better. My next plan is to look for a way to upgrade my sub so I can explore deeper areas.
one thing i forgot to mention which i particularly like about subnautica, there is no map. this means you really need to get to know your surroundings on your own, making mental maps and taking note of the geological landmarks. it somehow adds to both the feeling of being lost and alone on a hostile world, and the tranquil feeling of just swimming around looking for things.[/quote]

I put about ten hours into SN at the suggestion of guigui. It is a really well made game, but I couldn't get into it for the long haul. I wish Steam allowed you to give games to people that aren't your bag, but played too long for a refund.

Glad your're digging it!
My lord, I have come for you.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

I couldn't get into Subnautica, all of the diving and surfacing, diving and surfacing, diving and surfacing, diving and surfacing wore on me.

Although, I did manage to get into Astroneer for a couple months which is basically Subnautica on dry land. It's also mapless, and getting hopelessly lost happens more frequently than I ever thought it would.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Immryr wrote:... Subnautica ...I have no idea what I'm really supposed to be doing, I'm just following clues and looking for new things to make my base better. My next plan is to look for a way to upgrade my sub so I can explore deeper areas.
Following clues given by the radio. One of them eventually leads you near the entrance of a big cave you'll have to explore, then the story will unfold a bit smoother.

Also about the diving and surfacing complaint : this happens mainly on the very fist part of the game, imo it participates to create the hopeless ambiance. To avoid this, the main thing you have to do is focus on building a Seamoth, this is when the game started to get a whole new dimension for me : dive way deeper with Seamoth, leave Seamoth to explore, get scared.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, you can get the Seamoth very early in the game which eliminates this. Then once you get into any vehicle your oxygen refills and life gets good.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

CIT wrote:
third_strike wrote:Toke a little motivation these days to play Fatal Fury 3 and Just finished it defeating Jin Chonrei. You need play this game strategically or will lose fast mainly in some enemies. I YouTube there is a lot of vídeos where players plays careless.some seems tas while another seems on very easy. you can't play this game this safe way. Could not record because it was on real on MVS. I will try record a inp in emulator, but don't known if I can beat Chonrei again. I am happy!
Whoa, congrats! I haven't spent much time with FF3, but Real Bout Fatal Fury is one of my favorite SNK fighting games. I always feel the two games are two sides of the same coin. As far as I know they were even developed in parallel.
Thanks!!!
Yes this game are very close even in release date. I played RBFF just after and didn't take so much time to get the clear. Today I just got my first clear in Double Dragon MVS. For good Shuko is a bastard. I will play Breakers when the cartridge arrives.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Getting close to the end (?) of FF12:

- It continues to astound me just how much Raw Stuff is in here; even this late I'm still stumbling onto new things, and sometimes have to struggle to remember all the loose ends I need to tie up...on the downside, I recall that the game was somewhat infamous for its obtuseness, and wonder how many relics from the "get 10 percent off the guide when you buy the game" era I'll be unable to solve before I finally finish the thing.

- "Hey, that sounds a lot like Bender from Futurama..." *heads to IMDB* "...that IS Bender from Futurama! *scrolls down* "...and THAT was him too!"
Spoiler
And as much of a hoot as the Gilgamesh fight was, I went in underleveled and was quite ready to shout "Bite my shiny metal ass!" by the time it was over...moreso when an uber-nasty rare monster spawned on the way out of the dungeon and finished what he could not. :P
- Two relatively minor things that have grated on me bit by bit as I've progressed: 1) Weather-dependent events, while optional, are still a waste of time as you run back and forth between maps waiting for the roulette wheel to land on "rain" or whatever, and 2) I guess the argument could be made that traps are another "make the world feel more dangerous" element, but I find their placement too haphazard to really follow through on that notion, and outside of that they're just an irritant included as the sole justification for the "Float" spell.

- Certain later dungeons are also worthy of a groan or two; several of them either go on forever (and would be even worse if not for the fast-forward button), are difficult to find your way around in due to a vague map, or some unholy combination of the two. Too bad, as a couple of them are pretty neat from a visual design perspective; moreover, I hate hesitating to go back to them to look for spells and other important stuff I might have missed, but I always have to ask "Do I really want to get hopelessly lost in there again?"
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Been trying to give shmupin' a break for a month or two.

I've been playing a lot of Animal Crossing and Overwatch, both of which Mrs. To Far Away Times has also taken some interest in.

In a few weeks I think I'll start working on Pulstar as my next shmup.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm doing the opposite. I was playing mostly AC and now I'm taking a break from it to play more action games and shmups.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Desert only Minecraft world continues..
Our ruined town/ commune has more spoils... and our resident sickfuck decided to hang an Iron Golem.
It just bounces around up there forever, it's quite horrific.

image 2big
Spoiler
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
guigui

Post by guigui »

I’ve never understood what are the gameplay, and point, of Minecraft. Care to explain it in quick words to a fellow shmupper ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

creative mode = lego

survival =
craft and fight your way to alternate dimensions to fight bosses.

It really is such a sandbox that the 'point' can be anything really.

You can also do lego in this mode, it's more impressive if you had to collect the resources for your giant golden cock yourself while fighting off monsters, think yahtzee said something like that.

The hostile elements used to be a bit of a joke, now after a decade of updates you can get fucked up.
Armour, enchantments, potions, ranged attacks are all necessary.
kitten

Post by kitten »

guigui -

minecraft maybe takes a mentally ill mind to really appreciate, i think. deranged activity loop generator and massive creative outlet. i think the key to its success is the inherent utility of everything - shovel dirt and you can use that dirt to craft pathways, entrances, hills, or whatever the heck you want. plenty of games offer you the illusion of that much freedom, but few actually go the distance to make everything useful in such a variety of contexts. you and what you do have immense presence in the world. almost every enemy drop also does something useful! most other open world games just give you numbers that wind up in your inventory doing nothing, but things in minecraft do things and exist as actual things rather than just text in a menu.

it's like both a stimtoy and an abstract canvas. autism and creative inclination aren't a prerequisite to enjoy it, but they really help. better to think of it like it's not even a game, imho. just like, do shit in it. if you don't like it, you don't like it, there's not much to really 'get,' imho, other than simply discovering the very nature of there being not much to 'get.' you're probably overthinking it.

if you're really determined to see if it's your thing or not, grab a friend who already knows how to play and start a new world with them. they'll almost definitely move from activity loop to activity loop, and you'll start to get a feel for where your own intuition will lead you with regard to how you participate in those on your own. i usually turn my brain off in minecraft and do the repetitive bullshit until i get the energy to Create, or i think about what i might want to make as i find bits and pieces of stuff. you'll find yourself slipping in and out of certainty about what you want to do and inclining toward one of the repetitive things until you hit the eureka moment (e.g. "oh my gosh! i've dug up so much sand, i could turn that all into glass and make a whole see-through fortress in the water!").

- - - - - -

i've been playing a bunch of stuff. replaying things, streaming some classics, goofing around. i've got the urge to do a few more recordings, but i'm kind of drifting to a lot of different things the last week and haven't been in the mood to pare down runs into what i'd be happy to upload so much as do a bunch of low-effort clears for friends to watch. as i was writing up reviews for a few recent recordings, my laptop hinge broke, and my drafts were sitting on this computer, inaccessible until now (my roommate fixed the hinge, yay). i still need to shape them up! maybe i'll do that, today.

still on the animal crossing wagon, though i'm stuck in a rut on exercising it as an outlet for this or that and have been slipping into the grind of basically just "doing my dailies." need to muster up some decorating motivation.

i've also been watching a friend stream ffxi, which has been weirdly interesting. man, that game is really bizarre! i don't think i could play it because it would drive me up a wall, but i really love a lot of the work put into it. great texture work and modeling on the characters, absurd story, inscrutable druaga-esque nonsense mechanics and progression. really neat, but i think i'd hate actually playing it. i hate the catgirls in ffxiv for looking too generic, totally boring, and """sexy""", but i love the mithra in ffxi. i drew my friend's character, and she kind of looked like a tactics game tutorial character, so i added a text box -

(omg, this was my 888th post on page 444 of a topic, neat i guess!)
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

All I do in Minecraft is ideas for survival challenges, like a desert-only world.
Play challenge maps made by other players..

or abort a build early on and lament my lack of autism compared to my friends and the massive castles they build in creative mode.
kitten

Post by kitten »

i was playing a lot with a couple of friends before ACNH came out, and i wound up abducting a child villager, taking him to a remote island, locking him in a dirt prison with me, and then removing & replacing a lectern (the source of determining his job) for several in-game days until he learned to sell the correct book (we needed mending for our armors). i was frequently prodding him awake and denying him food & family while psychologically conditioning him in a room only a couple times the size of his of his body. some of the crazy stuff you wind up doing in this game becomes a weird little story you remember for years.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh jesus.. Yeah in desert world we too have basically enslaved villagers into professions. It's becoming a bit mad max.
BIL

Post by BIL »

WTF that sandbox shit be makin me SCURRED :O

I prefer the warm blanket of an assigned mission beset by mortal enemies(^ω´ )

I do fuck around in BDOOM from time to time though, objective: cause MAN V ANIMAL GANG WAR with friendly fire :O
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Xenosaga kekw
guigui

Post by guigui »

Whoa, Minecraft indeed looks like a thing, not sure I want to try yet though. Another thing I did not get yet : is it single player or multiplayer ? If single player, how are the other characters created in your world ?
kitten

Post by kitten »

BIL wrote:I do fuck around in BDOOM from time to time though, objective: cause MAN V ANIMAL GANG WAR with friendly fire :O
in minecraft, there's these rare cd's you can find for a music player that will play different songs that c418, the musician for the game, did. these songs usually don't fit the tone enough to be one of the ambient tracks, and some of them are pretty interesting. they range from ephemeral and softly uplifting to real fucking creepy (seriously, give this a listen lol), and you're very likely to want them because you can put them into a jukebox and add a nice little touch to some of the repetitive activities like fishing.

the problem is, only 4 can be found in the world in treasure chests, and unlocking most of them (including both linked) requires putting doom infighting skills to the test! you can *only* get most of the music cd's by forcing a skeleton to deliver the killing blow to a creeper, which requires baiting an enemy that explodes when it hits a certain proximity to you to cross the path of another enemy that fires arrows at you, but only from close enough a distance to make this really risky. this is weirdly tough to do, but the fact there's such a cool reward (and one i make heavy use of) makes it one of the first things i prioritize doing on any new world.
guigui wrote:Whoa, Minecraft indeed looks like a thing, not sure I want to try yet though. Another thing I did not get yet : is it single player or multiplayer ? If single player, how are the other characters created in your world ?
it's a persistent world that any number of people can log into (unless you're running the server on your computer, in which case you'd always need to be running the game for anyone else to join). worlds are randomly generated upon starting one and sprawl near-infinitely - it loads in "chunks," arbitrarily sized portions of the world, and these chunks generate when you get near them and then stay persistent. if you go far enough in any world, you can make the size of saving its file completely enormous. it's important to realize that because the game is constantly updated, there's more of a desire to start new worlds than just keep building on the one you have, as world generation aspects change and newer worlds gradually have more resources & possible unique biomes & locations (they've added weird kinds of dungeons and random structures over the years so survival mode has more stuff to do) that are only generated to be part of the world when the world is initially created. there's a designated starting spawn point for all players, but you can change where you respawn by sleeping in a bed at night.
Image | Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

guigui wrote: is it single player or multiplayer ?
Are you for real bro? c'mon. Even if i don't accuse you of living under a rock (like i do in minecraft), you are on the internet.. you don't have to ask these questions on a forum :wink:

In fact, you can tell from my posts that i've been playing with friends, multiplayer! =O. I'm not quite at the point of loneliness where I'd refer to in game characters as my real friends :lol:
kitten wrote:in minecraft, there's these rare cd's you can find for a music player
CD's !!??
They're records goddamnit.
Anyway my REAL friend had one of the first ones, "cat," on a challenge map and he kept bloody playing it in base, all the time. I tried to take it off him and he bricked himself into a secret room so he could listen to his record alone.
(except anyone within a 5 mile radius could still hear it of course)

My favourite story about minecraft over the years is that one huge server that's never had any rules, really.
Cheats, hacks, abuse, griefing is allowed.
If you log in, the lag and lack of food or anything living will probably kill you before you can escape the spawn area. The area that looks like this.
Spoiler
kitten

Post by kitten »

Blinge wrote:In fact, you can tell from my posts that i've been playing with friends, multiplayer! =O. I'm not quite at the point of loneliness where I'd refer to in game characters as my real friends :lol:
i was a little curious why he asked after what we said, too. my guess is the assumption when we talk about playing with friends, we might just be sharing our play experiences or talking together while passing the controller.
CD's !!??
They're records goddamnit.
Anyway my REAL friend had one of the first ones, "cat," on a challenge map and he kept bloody playing it in base, all the time. I tried to take it off him and he bricked himself into a secret room so he could listen to his record alone.
(except anyone within a 5 mile radius could still hear it of course)
ah whoops, yes, records. i mean what is a record but a.... disc... that is compact? it's an easy mistake ; __ ;

i'm always happy to get "cat" as one of the first cd's, since you can find it in dungeons even before you bother with the creeper/skeleton dance. it's got a green label, it's fun (if a bit annoyingly upbeat), it's called "cat." what's not to love? i get a little tired of people playing the same song relentlessly, too, though, and usually keep a chest of the different music discs to rotate through. they're lo-fi hip-hop beats to study/relax to, and i am the dj.
Image | Image
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Blinge wrote:
Spoiler
Awesome :lol:

Haven't played Minecraft in a long time. I hosted a server for our clique for a while in 2011, fond memories.
guigui

Post by guigui »

kitten wrote:
Blinge wrote:In fact, you can tell from my posts that i've been playing with friends, multiplayer! =O. I'm not quite at the point of loneliness where I'd refer to in game characters as my real friends :lol:
i was a little curious why he asked after what we said, too. my guess is the assumption when we talk about playing with friends, we might just be sharing our play experiences or talking together while passing the controller.
Firstly Blinge, excuse me for not reading the internet, it takes too much time. I actually prefer reading you.

And you know, this multiplayer stuff in Minecraft is quite hard to understand when you've never played the game : kitten says that when you start, you are spawned to a randomly generated world that is persistent. Then you can move in this world and make other chunk of it appear.
Now say players A and B start a game. They will spawn somewhere in this persistent world, any chance that they can meet each other ?
BIL

Post by BIL »

kitten wrote:the problem is, only 4 can be found in the world in treasure chests, and unlocking most of them (including both linked) requires putting doom infighting skills to the test! you can *only* get most of the music cd's by forcing a skeleton to deliver the killing blow to a creeper, which requires baiting an enemy that explodes when it hits a certain proximity to you to cross the path of another enemy that fires arrows at you, but only from close enough a distance to make this really risky. this is weirdly tough to do, but the fact there's such a cool reward (and one i make heavy use of) makes it one of the first things i prioritize doing on any new world.
I think monster infighting is one of those truly universal pleasures any gamer can resonate with, pure transgression. :mrgreen: Now I'm recalling matching the ground-pounding golem thingy against the Spinosaurus in Turok (N64). Golem usually won IIRC, one good double axehandle and poor Spiny would get broke in haff. Image Sometimes he'd gnaw his shins real good though!

EDIT: oh WTF, it wasn't a spinosaurus at all, it was some kinda fucked-up prehistoric iguana. Run cycle was a riot! Imma look 'em up. Aha, here's the chap. RIP Mr. Dimetrodon, my favourite Ghetto Pokeyman ;-;7

Last edited by BIL on Thu May 28, 2020 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

guigui wrote:And you know, this multiplayer stuff in Minecraft is quite hard to understand when you've never played the game : kitten says that when you start, you are spawned to a randomly generated world that is persistent. Then you can move in this world and make other chunk of it appear.
Now say players A and B start a game. They will spawn somewhere in this persistent world, any chance that they can meet each other ?
As kitten mentioned, there's a constant spawn area where new players are placed when entering the server.
BIL

Post by BIL »

SOME OL PRICK wrote:
kitten wrote:the problem is, only 4 can be found in the world in treasure chests, and unlocking most of them (including both linked) requires putting doom infighting skills to the test! you can *only* get most of the music cd's by forcing a skeleton to deliver the killing blow to a creeper, which requires baiting an enemy that explodes when it hits a certain proximity to you to cross the path of another enemy that fires arrows at you, but only from close enough a distance to make this really risky. this is weirdly tough to do, but the fact there's such a cool reward (and one i make heavy use of) makes it one of the first things i prioritize doing on any new world.
I think monster infighting is one of those truly universal pleasures any gamer can resonate with, pure transgression. :mrgreen: Now I'm recalling matching the ground-pounding golem thingy against the Spinosaurus in Turok (N64). Golem usually won IIRC, one good double axehandle and poor Spiny would get broke in haff. Image Sometimes he'd gnaw his shins real good though!

EDIT: oh WTF, it wasn't a spinosaurus at all, it was some kinda fucked-up prehistoric iguana. Run cycle was a riot! Imma look 'em up. Aha, here's the chap. RIP Mr. Dimetrodon, my favourite Ghetto Pokeyman ;-;7

I feel so vindicated! Image Video of the exact same spot I'd use for Spiney vs Golem, with a raptor thrown in to equalize :cool: God, this is truly a window back in time. Raptor ain't SHIT, sit down bitch! Spiney is doughty, but still gets knocked the FUCK out. THEN SPINEY'S COUSIN (MECHA SPINEY) ROLL UP WITH A GAT :shock: Image
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

guigui wrote:Firstly Blinge, excuse me for not reading the internet, it takes too much time. I actually prefer reading you.
Read the internet! And don't come back until you've finished all of it!
kitten

Post by kitten »

fuck pokemon, BIL's discovered video gaming's *real* cockfighting thrill O___O;
Image | Image