shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 8:55 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12070 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 399, 400, 401, 402, 403
 Post subject: Re: What [not shmup] game are you playing now?
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:44 pm 

ED-057 wrote:
a Super Robot Taisen clone which features magical girls in lieu of mechs

You simply must tell us what it's called! (And whether it's playable in English!)

Is it Majokko Daisakusen, by any chance? That's the only SRW-like game with magical girls that I know of, and it's not even all that much like SRW.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:49 am 

Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest

It's a fantasy version of Into the Breach by the Legend of Grimrock people, but with expansive hand-crafted levels instead of tight randomly-generated ones.

I'm really liking it so far!

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:52 am 

gensou shoujo taisen you

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:46 am 

> gets excited for a magical girl crossover game
> all the characters are from 2hu

:oops:
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:34 am 

You've only yourself to blame..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:01 pm 

data east's robocop is pretty dang rad. the platforming is similar to splatterhouse but with guns

https://braintemple.bandcamp.com/
my prog electronic albums 'n stuff

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:16 am 

Okay, last mention of All-Star Racing Transformed, then I’ll be quiet. After getting in quite a few hours, I have to say this is now on a par with the absolute best MK games (MK, Super Circuit, DS, MK8) for me. It’s a combination of the sublime handling and the boost-granting tricks on the second stick – it feels immensely satisfying to learn a track to the point where it can be boosted round in its entirety. The ‘Traffic’ events are absolutely fantastic, particularly on hard, occasionally frustrating, but in that ‘I KNOW I can do this’ kind of way.

Flaws are few and far between, but I’d point to the Pursuit and Battle events. Pursuit is just beyond tedious, in particular the third phase where the tank is dropping walls behind it which your missiles sometime flat-out refuse to break. The battle events are just beyond random – I’ve lost all three lives on the first lap without a clue what I could have done differently, and won them by doing absolutely nothing differently from the previous attempt.

Also, Curien Mansion is the greatest bit piece of fan service in any video game, ever. Probably the standout track of the game so far, with Shinobi and Afterburner not far behind.

In short, if you have even a passing interest in the type of racer and have somehow managed to avoid playing this, please do so.
One of those games where I'd be quite happy to shell out again for a 60/1080 remaster.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:05 pm 

Totally supporting the S&ASR Transformed love here. Better time than never to play it now waiting for its sequel this tuesday.

I did not play the first game Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (jeez, are those names confusing ?!), would you rate it above or beyond the second marc ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:51 am 

Marc wrote:
In short, if you have even a passing interest in the type of racer and have somehow managed to avoid playing this, please do so.

For what it's worth, Jak X: Combat Racing got a re-release on PS4 A.D. 2017, so I'd recommend that to PS4-owners as well, although I haven't played the PS2 original in about a decade, hence I've no idea how I would like it these days. It has to be said, Burnout 3: Takedown (originally purchased soon after Jak X, as I wanted a second fill of such antics from that PS2 of mine), re-visited last year or so, annoyed me with stuff I wouldn't mind back in the day (still not a bad game by any means, just... underdeveloped).

Marc wrote:
One of those games where I'd be quite happy to shell out again for a 60/1080 remaster.

Doesn't the PC original sport both features straight out of the box? No baiting here, serious question, for I read Split/Second: Velocity is locked at 30 fps on PC as it is on consoles, whereas Blur can do 60 fps on a PC, so it could not be taken for granted in their time and age still.

Last but not least, if you keep playing vehicular combat games on PS3, but have yet to encounter Full Auto 2: Battlelines, I couldn't recommend it enough... played in no more than 720p. Possibly a placebo effect this, but I find its framerates more palatable in 720p than they seem to me in 1080p. I'd also happily disable the anti-aliasing, if doing so could improve its performance in any a way.
Oh yes, as for the part of it I've played through, it's perfectly serviceable without resorting to "Unwreck" command. I read one review of 1st where someone'd found it too easy because of the "Unwreck" feature, than another one, of 2nd, mentioning that the latter's "Unwreck" was not helpful enough this time around. A word to the wise - simply don't use "Unwreck" whatsoever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:44 pm 

Assault Suits Valken for the Super Famicom. It's pretty awesome. 
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12070 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 399, 400, 401, 402, 403