Anyone here play Magic: The Gathering?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

You should sit her ass down and tell'er about our friend Wesley Crusher <+_+<
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

KindGrind wrote: Edit: My g/f told me many times that it's *the* worst turnoff in a man, though.
Hah, I can't say I'm too surprised. I'm guessing maybe, -maybe- 8% or so of Magic players are girls. It definitely doesn't attract the fairer sex. Many of the guys who play also remind me of the Comic Book guy a lot too, which probably doesn't help. :lol:

And yes, constructed tournaments are still far too expensive for their own good. If you don't obsess over tourney decks (which I admittedly sometimes do) it can still be fun casually.
"Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that people start declaring a game is overrated before it's even out? "
"You're at shmups.com. We're all psychics full of righteous indignation!"
Davey

Post by Davey »

Cthulhu wrote:Many of the guys who play also remind me of the Comic Book guy a lot too, which probably doesn't help. :lol:
That was one of my problems with Magic. I liked the game itself but a lot of the guys that play it aren't just nerdy, they're like obnoxiously nerdy to the point of being caricature-like. Not that I'm cool or anything.8)
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

Lordstar wrote:no one playing there pokemans?
wanna trade ?!?!!!!
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Davey wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:Many of the guys who play also remind me of the Comic Book guy a lot too, which probably doesn't help. :lol:
That was one of my problems with Magic. I liked the game itself but a lot of the guys that play it aren't just nerdy, they're like obnoxiously nerdy to the point of being caricature-like. Not that I'm cool or anything.8)
I wouldn't say I'm terribly cool either but I feel whenever I play a match locally, 90% of the people there are not my type of crowd in the least.

It's too bad really WotC needs to have rarity and whatnot, since without that it would nice to actually be able to afford brutal decks. Having said that I'm frequently tempted to get rid of all my cards but yet I cannot see myself making too large a profit (unless it's via eBay in which case it takes a lot more time and effort) and I only recently (a couple years ago) finished a terrific Megrim+Underworld Dreams/Memory Jar deck. Not to mention cards like Cursed Scroll are pretty cool to observe.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'm going to avoid excessive nested quotes here since this is a short topic anyways. I agree that having people to play with who aren't annoying is key - the reason I just got back into it was I found a place where people who were consistently decent people hang out.

As far as rarity & cost goes... I'm willing to just write that off as being part of a CCG.
"Am I the only one who thinks it's funny that people start declaring a game is overrated before it's even out? "
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

At heart, Magic is a very well-crafted game. The "stack" really resolved/explained lots of things and was a welcome addition to the rules.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
Davey

Post by Davey »

The XBLA version will be coming out on June 17.

Not counting the super-outdated CD-ROM I have, I haven't played the game in roughly 14 years... if I get into it again it's probably going to be like starting over again with all the rule changes and new cards.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Davey wrote:The XBLA version will be coming out on June 17.

Not counting the super-outdated CD-ROM I have, I haven't played the game in roughly 14 years... if I get into it again it's probably going to be like starting over again with all the rule changes and new cards.
The rule changes are somewhat major in terms of impact on timing (and all for the better in my opinion), but the core is still the same.

As for the cards... yes, it's pretty much all new. I quit for ~10 years and while there's still some stuff that's around from back then, there isn't much.
A_Civilian

Post by A_Civilian »

The latest blasphemies I'd had to deal with are colored artifacts (man I'm ancient), but otherwise I'm thankfully up to date.

Cost doesn't matter too much since I run an all-common library that does the job.

But having to upkeep a legal library for formal play is frustrating since so many things get switched out every time a block is released.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I wasn't expecting the resurgence of interest in MtG to last this long for me, but I'm getting more and more hooked. I'll ride the wave of interest for now. Will probably be a pretty big wave at this rate. :lol:
A_Civilian wrote:The latest blasphemies I'd had to deal with are colored artifacts (man I'm ancient), but otherwise I'm thankfully up to date.

Cost doesn't matter too much since I run an all-common library that does the job.

But having to upkeep a legal library for formal play is frustrating since so many things get switched out every time a block is released.
I don't mind the colored artifacts but lots of people don't like em. They're probably not going to make it out of the Alara block, so they'll stop pestering you now. :wink:

I couldn't handle the all-common bit, I'm too impulsive about just going and getting stuff I want.

And as for what's legal in standard - I can agree keeping up with the card base changing is a bit of work, but I think the fact that they keep the game fresh is a big plus rather than something bad. New strategies are always needed and welcome, which keeps it interesting. Well, most of the time anyways. :lol:
Davey

Re: Magic The Gathering - Card Geekery

Post by Davey »

XBLA version came out last week. I played the demo and wasn't too impressed.

The big drawback is that you can't build custom decks. There are pre-built decks you can use, and as you play you can unlock a few more cards per deck. But those new cards are just extras, you can't remove any of the cards in the "base" deck. Pretty lame. I guess the rationale is that they don't want experienced players destroying noobs online, but surely there could have been some sort of ranking system to pair up people of comparable skill levels. It seems like it's a basic version of MTG designed to familiarize you with the game and make you want to go out and spend money on it.

Also, the timer is really annoying. It felt like I was waiting on it a lot. The old Win95 Magic interface seemed better, Win95-era ugliness aside.

Does anybody here play Magic Online? Dare I ask how much a sealed deck tournament (or something similar) costs?
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Davey wrote:XBLA version came out last week. I played the demo and wasn't too impressed.

The big drawback is that you can't build custom decks. There are pre-built decks you can use, and as you play you can unlock a few more cards per deck. But those new cards are just extras, you can't remove any of the cards in the "base" deck. Pretty lame. I guess the rationale is that they don't want experienced players destroying noobs online, but surely there could have been some sort of ranking system to pair up people of comparable skill levels. It seems like it's a basic version of MTG designed to familiarize you with the game and make you want to go out and spend money on it.

Also, the timer is really annoying. It felt like I was waiting on it a lot. The old Win95 Magic interface seemed better, Win95-era ugliness aside.
I thought the XBLA game was fine considering the low cost. The fact that you can't customize your decks for real is indeed a big drawback, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it anyways.

Also, it comes with a code to redeem on Wizards' site for a free Garruk Wildspeaker, which is a $15-$22 card. Ironic that the card is worth so much more than the game for now. The price might go down when everyone gets the free ones though. :lol:
Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

yeah not being able to make your own decks made me go from an instant buy to a firm no thanks. Anyone ever play magic the gathering online? My friends used to play it a lot so much so they had there decks converted in to real cards :mrgreen:
Follow me on twitter for tees and my ramblings @karoshidrop
shmups members can purchase here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21158
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Davey wrote:Does anybody here play Magic Online? Dare I ask how much a sealed deck tournament (or something similar) costs?
~$2-4 plus product usually. Sometimes they waive the Ticket fee - Product Only. 1 tournament pack + 2 boosters is what, around $20-25 from the online store? Ah, $21.

So $23 to $25, if you don't buy the stuff from other players.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
Lordstar

Re:

Post by Lordstar »

Cthulhu wrote:
Davey wrote:The XBLA version will be coming out on June 17.

The rule changes are somewhat major in terms of impact on timing (and all for the better in my opinion), but the core is still the same.

As for the cards... yes, it's pretty much all new. I quit for ~10 years and while there's still some stuff that's around from back then, there isn't much.
We should make a team of sexy male magic players. the league of handsome magice the gathering players. Whos in?
just think of that 8% I would have to say at least 3% (thats 3% of the total 100% not 3% of 8%) would have to be pretty hot. We could clean up!!!
shmups members can purchase here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21158
`Throwdown

Post by `Throwdown »

XBLA version ... been curious about it, was a huge tournament player 96-99. Is it worth a purchase?
Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

`Throwdown wrote:XBLA version ... been curious about it, was a huge tournament player 96-99. Is it worth a purchase?
I would say no becuause there is no form of custom deck :(
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I think people are being way too hard on the XBLA game. The point of it is not to replace MtG Online or the card game at all. It's meant to be a streamlined MtG experience - hence the low price.
`Throwdown

Post by `Throwdown »

IM guessing you unlock cards through the 1P exp.? And then can use them online against opponents? It is a cheap price, and I miss playing the card game. Been giving it a consideration.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

`Throwdown wrote:IM guessing you unlock cards through the 1P exp.? And then can use them online against opponents? It is a cheap price, and I miss playing the card game. Been giving it a consideration.
You can indeed unlock cards by playing matches in the 1P campaign mode. I don't know if you unlock stuff by playing other match types - my guess is no (haven't verified this yet). I only played it online against my friend right when I bought it and didn't have any extra cards, so I don't know if you can use your modified decks against them or not, but my guess is yes, you can.
Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

they could of made it one standard series of cards and still had the ablity to have custom decks. its not like im asking them to delve in the the depths of the archives to make the best game in the world. But i think most of the fun is constructiong decks and testing them out on players. otherwise its just going to be a game of stone paper scisors (be it in an around about way with a bit more flaffing about)
Ixmucane2

Re:

Post by Ixmucane2 »

MR_Soren wrote:
Two and three color decks that work consistently well are quite possible with the right mix of cards.
In fact the latest block is actively oriented towards 3 to 5 colour decks. A whole expansion (Alara Reborn) containing only multicoloured spells! 3-colour mana lands and 3-colours mana artifacts! Usable 5-colour mana lands! Dual mana costs! All sorts of mana fixing!
The "right mix of cards" is now perfectly mainstream, not an expensive proposition (dual lands) or a compromise for specialty decks like ten years ago.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Cthulhu wrote:It's meant to be a streamlined MtG experience - hence the low price.
Yeaaaaaah... Pauper MTGO is significantly less streamlined and is the same price.

It's really just a marketing device - the game itself will at best make a marginal profit. The idea is like with trying to sell cocaine you see; a single Magic player is worth hundreds and hundreds of sweet nourishing money.

Unless they exclusively play pauper. Those free-loading bastards.
PSX Vita: Slightly more popular than Color TV-Game system. Almost as successful as the Wii U.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

Probably a bad place to ask (and it's a terrible longshot), but I'd trade rare shmups that you need (MD/DC/Saturn, I've got lots of gems) for a playset of Bazaar of Baghdad.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
Davey

Post by Davey »

BryanM wrote:So $23 to $25, if you don't buy the stuff from other players.
Damn. :? Not surprising, though.
Cthulhu wrote:I think people are being way too hard on the XBLA game. The point of it is not to replace MtG Online or the card game at all. It's meant to be a streamlined MtG experience - hence the low price.
It's definitely not bad for the price. But it does feel like a gateway drug to "real" Magic or MGTO. And it might work on me. :cry:

I think I still prefer Spells of the Ancients. Playing sealed deck tournaments against the AI was fun, even if the AI was epically stupid from time to time. The AI and the outdated cards were my only complaints about that game aside from some interface quirks (screen resolution problems... text gets cut off and you can't always see all the attacking creatures if there are a bunch).
`Throwdown wrote:XBLA version ... been curious about it, was a huge tournament player 96-99. Is it worth a purchase?
Maybe, maybe not. I caved in and bought it. It's alright but I don't see a whole lot of replay value (by design, I think).

Here's how I see it:
Beginner: Really great way to learn the game, especially for $10. That's chump change in Magic.
Intermediate: Probably not much to offer, might be worthwhile.
Advanced: Too limited to be interesting.

I bought it to re-familiarize myself with the game. I wanted to see what was new and remember stuff I forgot. The rules haven't changed much since I stopped playing ('95), but there are some new abilities and stuff. Although some of the "new" creature abilities are just old abilities that didn't have a specific name.

Reach: Can block flying creatures (Giant Spider)
Vigilance: Doesn't tap when attacking (Serra Angel)
Haste: No summoning sickness (Ball Lightning)
Deathtouch: Kills stuff like Thicket Basilisk did (might be more complicated than that, not sure)
Fear: What the Fear enchantment used to do

It's kind of interesting to see how some things got balanced. Some old famous cards that everybody used now have toned-down replacements (Shock for Lightning Bolt, Cancel for Counterspell, some black creature like Hypnotic Specter that costs an additional mana, etc.). Green creatures seem to have become more efficient, though. And I thought Aspect of Wolf was a pretty decent card until I saw Blanchwood Armor. :shock:
mr_m0nks

Re: Anyone here play Magic: The Gathering?

Post by mr_m0nks »

They have just released a MTG game on XBOX Live,

It seems Ok
Now comes with Gaming Blog and Twitter:
http://mctgaming.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/mr_m0nks
All Your Shmups are belong to us!
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Yeah, we had a parallel thread going about this...

XBLA game: The good: lots of Magic for a low price, comes with a code to redeem for a card worth ~$15 (but takes 4 to 6 weeks to arrive in the mail) The bad: you can only modify pre-made decks, can't build your own. Fun title and worth the $ but doesn't replace the card game.

The game is fun but if you want to play "competitively" it does get expensive. If you don't want to play in tournaments it's much more affordable. The rules are getting their first real brush-up in 10 years or so next month and I think the changes are all for the better. Lots of internet forum people are up in arms over the changes, but that's how things always are. :lol:

The people you have to play with will make or break the game, but Magic is doing fairly well and you can hopefully find some cool people to play with.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Davey wrote: I bought it to re-familiarize myself with the game. I wanted to see what was new and remember stuff I forgot. The rules haven't changed much since I stopped playing ('95), but there are some new abilities and stuff. Although some of the "new" creature abilities are just old abilities that didn't have a specific name.
The rules actually got changed quite a bit in late 99, but you won't notice the changes in the XBLA game for the most part. They overhauled the whole timing system and got rid of interrupts. It's much better now. They're polishing the rules again next month (seems to be every 10 years :lol: ) but the changes are mostly minor if you don't know the 99 rules changes.
Davey wrote: sting to see how some things got balanced. Some old famous cards that everybody used now have toned-down replacements (Shock for Lightning Bolt, Cancel for Counterspell, some black creature like Hypnotic Specter that costs an additional mana, etc.). Green creatures seem to have become more efficient, though. And I thought Aspect of Wolf was a pretty decent card until I saw Blanchwood Armor. :shock:
[/quote]

Yeah, they've definitely re-balanced it. It used to be that 80% of the cards were too weak, 10% were balanced, and 10% were overpowered. Now it's more like 40% are too weak, 30% are balanced, 20% are somewhat powerful, and 10% are overpowered. Some things never change. :mrgreen:
Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

i dont see why the last topic was locked as that was about XBL ver and why its not as good as the PC or onine version and not magic as a whole. Anyway

carry on