Pixel artists

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Squirrelsquid

Post by Squirrelsquid »

there are some fine pixels in here! :)

I'm pixeling since about 13 years now, and also earn my bread and butter with it, nowadays.
I'm still pixeling in my freetime, and often it's for a shoot em up project I am developing with a small team. here are some of the pixels I did for it:

this is the Leviathan Dropship, and the backbone of earths' struggle against an Alien Lifeform known as Omnivore.

here are a few of them:
a sort of artillery like enemy
a small enemy that appear in large groups.
a bug thing, that can drop mines out of it's belly :o

and here's a large explosion I did "recently" ( already 4 months old )

( just noticed that the explosion looks kinda weird on the forums background :/ )
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

^ WOW! Beautiful!

The Leviathan is awesome, i love "plasma" animation when it opens it's "mouth".

Very nice work, keep it up!
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Best animated quality shmup art ever.

This is what high profile companies should be doing, it is just a shame how long it takes to make a good sprite bigger than 128x128 pixels. This is why we don't see many pixel art sprites the modern resolutions are too demanding and there are too many colors availble to ensure low color work. People keep saying that they want high res 2d games but they have no idea how long it takes to make high res sprites with traditional color restriction methods. Anymore they just take a small scale sprite and enlarge it and start smudging away so it looks less blocky leading to muddy looking work. Low color work has a very crisp look and even a good artist can make due with a few colors.

I wish Cave would go back to their wonderful art style of the early games.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Herr Schatten wrote:TheCoop: I really like your animations. Which tools do you use to create them?
Thanks. I just use Image Ready. I tried Fireworks in the past for drawing sprites and backgrounds, and making gifs from it all, but it didn't feel nearly as intuitive (not to mention the way the pencil tool jumped from pixel to pixel bugged the hell out of me). So I stuck with Image Ready and have been using it ever since. What about you?

By the way, I like the beetle and dropship a lot, Squirrelsquid. Very nice.

Here are a few others I did. If anyone wants to check out the rest of my stuff, just click on my website button right below my sig. I don't wanna bomb the thread with large files anymore than I already have.

Last edited by The Coop on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

You guys are posting some really impressive stuff. I've done gfx for console homebrew and the like but it's only passable.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

The Coop wrote:So I stuck with Image Ready and have been using it ever since. What about you?
Well, I never did large-scale cinematic animations like you, except for the story seqeunces of that Columns clone. Those were put together by the programmers. I only animated the individual sprites, they moved them around.
For testing animations and for building the occasional animated GIF, I use ProMotion, which I found to be the best pixel graphics tool out there.
The Coop wrote:By the way, I like the beetle and dropship a lot. Very nice.
I can only agree with this. I like all your work for Havoc Zone, Squirrelsquid.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Squirrelsquid: Did you...did you just manually draw subsurface scattering in the 2nd picture? *head explodes*
Beautiful.

The Coop: Cool animations. I like all those tiny details.
Last edited by worstplayer on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
moonblood

Post by moonblood »

:shock: Amazing stuff! And I just love big ships that launch.. small ships, haha
Squirrelsquid

Post by Squirrelsquid »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I realy appreciate it :)
worstplayer wrote:Squirrelsquid: Did you...did you just manually draw subsurface scattering in the 2nd picture? *head explodes*
Beautiful.
it's not truely manual. I use transperency effects on a lot of my sprites. The effects are handpixeled though, so that the color count doesn't explode.

that are some nice animations Coop! I like the fireworks a lot!

here are 2 more sprites.
It's still missing a tilt animation in that gif. I have something special planed for that ;)

a ship from the human antagonists.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Squirrelsquid wrote: Image
He´s so cute!
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

It might be interesting to make a thread to pixel a shmup ship, maybe something small like 32x32. Maybe like 8-12 colors. Just to get some feet wet. :P

I would find time to participate.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Pixel_Outlaw wrote:It might be interesting to make a thread to pixel a shmup ship, maybe something small like 32x32. Maybe like 8-12 colors. Just to get some feet wet. :P

I would find time to participate.
Yeah, not a bad idea. But i don't know how it would work.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Squirrelsquid wrote:Image
very nice work. great sense of detail.

are these all running at their proper animation speeds? it seems like the smaller two could do with a slightly longer cycle. theres a lot of cool stuff happening in such a short span of time.

again great work, please keep us posted on your progress with the project. :D
I have no sig whatsoever.
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

Pixel_Outlaw wrote:People keep saying that they want high res 2d games but they have no idea how long it takes to make high res sprites with traditional color restriction methods. Anymore they just take a small scale sprite and enlarge it and start smudging away so it looks less blocky leading to muddy looking work. Low color work has a very crisp look and even a good artist can make due with a few colors.
I'm one of those who wish for some high resolution pixel art and I know very well how demanding it can be - if you keep on using the same old techniques that where meant for lower resolutions. During the 16-bit era pixel graphics became more and more detailed, especially on the Amiga and ST, and it is largely this style that have become synonymous with pixel art among the conoaseurs. But there are other, less detailed kinds of pixel graphics that can work in higher resolutions and still retain that distinct pixel art look.

I must admit that I'm not as interested in inanimate, detailed pixel art as I am in animated pixel art, which is often more effective (and less time consuming) when less detailed. As Squirrelsquids lovely work show, there's something about animations done the pixel way that can't be duplicated any other way.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Squirrelsquid is teh bee's knees. Have you considered teaming up w/ someone like MindRec for some modern PCEngine goodness? That would rule to put out some of your stuff to rival the likes of the Soldier series :D
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

Here's a little animation I did earlier tonight. It's still a work in progress. The arms and hands needs some animation and there's some pixels that needs to be shifted. And where's her feet? It's an animation of the main character from my forthcoming childrens platformer.

I haven't really made any concentrated effort at pixel graphics since around 86-87(!), except for a little while when I bought Deluxe Paint IV back in the early nineties. My style is still very 8-bit.

Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I've dabbled with Pixen, Photoshop, and for comedy, MSPaint, but haven't really had or spent much time doing anything big at the moment (though I have a fun little multimedia project planned for next year). Lately I've been more into vector illustration, sharpening my skills with Illustrator.

The stuff posted here is very impressive, however, and inspiring. Keep up the good work.

(The Creative Thread needs a bump too, hint hint. ^_- )
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Sprites I did myself ..

320x240

Post by 320x240 »

A couple more from my game. Some grass and a leaf (I see now that the actual grass animates badly) and a stone face that's spitting arrows (It's a Pitfall clone afterall).

320x240

Post by 320x240 »

One last animation from me and another work in progress. Here the game turns into a Wonderboy in Monster World clone and the girl is supposed to be carrying a sword.

Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

croikle

Post by croikle »

Funny how I can tell the first one says AMI with only 1 pixel per character. :wink:
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Good man.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Necronopticous wrote:Image
AMI - Something - Mushihimesama - CAVE

:)
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Here's one of my favorites that I've ever done. It's an old one I did of a character from Final Fantasy IV.

Gungriffon Geona

Post by Gungriffon Geona »

post pixelz
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/ ... onfurb.png

and this I did like 30 minutes ago.
ImageImage
FLYING CARS WITH CRAB CLAWS
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Squirrelsquid wrote:there are some fine pixels in here! :)

I'm pixeling since about 13 years now, and also earn my bread and butter with it, nowadays.
I'm still pixeling in my freetime, and often it's for a shoot em up project I am developing with a small team. here are some of the pixels I did for it:

this is the Leviathan Dropship, and the backbone of earths' struggle against an Alien Lifeform known as Omnivore.

here are a few of them:
a sort of artillery like enemy

and here's a large explosion I did "recently" ( already 4 months old )

( just noticed that the explosion looks kinda weird on the forums background :/ )
Holy SHIT man, the animations for your ships are on a level with Metal Slug. The dropship alone would have been an amazing boss, can't believe you're just "wasting" it for what - a three second appearance? Dude, you must have balls of steel.
Last edited by ChurchOfSolipsism on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

He said he makes a living doing pixel art; how is that "wasted?"

New Astro City!

ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Necronopticous wrote:He said he makes a living doing pixel art; how is that "wasted?"
Do you know what "quotation marks" mean?
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

what did you edit before after he made that reply to your post?
I have no sig whatsoever.