Pixel artists

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Now I'm addicted.

ImageImageImageImage
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Necronopticous wrote:Now I'm addicted.

ImageImageImageImage
You chould change the camera angle a bit to show the top of the machines. :D
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Squirrelsquid rocked my world; wouldn't say that stuff is "on par with Metal Slug" because it's a rather different genre. Heavy Toaplan influence apparent in there, I think. MS has very highly defined curved objects; these objects are flatter. Sort of an apples to oranges comparison.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Squirrelsquid rocked my world; wouldn't say that stuff is "on par with Metal Slug" because it's a rather different genre. Heavy Toaplan influence apparent in there, I think. MS has very highly defined curved objects; these objects are flatter. Sort of an apples to oranges comparison.
Well on an overall level his stuff is not on par with Metal Slug, big surprise there, I guess he does not have a team of animators at hand. But I think the smoothness of the animation and his inventiveness is (also I don't see what this has to do with genre).
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

I can't draw spaceships but what you may not know is that I'm contracted to do the Gameboy version of Muchi Muchi Pork. Apparently, Cave outsourced this version to Masaya. Here's a shot of one of the main characters:

mufunyo

Post by mufunyo »

320x240 wrote:Image
dongs.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Nice stuff here! I was very actively making pixel art during years 1987-1997; before I went to 3D.. this being said, I definitely enjoy pixel art much more. Here's some stuff I've done over the years; this is all really old stuff

C64, art studio

Amiga, deluxepaint

PC, deluxepaint

Photoshop

PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

fucking amazing stuff in this thread @_@
I'm especially impressed by the Castle and this : http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 410#419410
makes me wish I was studying arts instead of freaking programming ^^
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

MJR wrote:Nice stuff here! I was very actively making pixel art during years 1987-1997; before I went to 3D.. this being said, I definitely enjoy pixel art much more. Here's some stuff I've done over the years; this is all really old stuff
Nice, especially the pc Deluxe Paint animations.
MJR wrote: Image
I would play this.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

320x240 wrote:
MJR wrote:Image
I would play this.
Yeah, I would dev it too, send me sprite set plz >_>;
MJR

Post by MJR »

Thanks for the comments, but unfortunately I don't own copyrights to the gfx you mentioned, I'm only allowed to post them on the web and that's it.

This was a shmup concept which I proposed for Nokia's N-gage platform many years ago, when I was working at housemarque (guys who made super stardust) and (unsurprisingly) Nokia rejected it. Housemarque has zero interest on continuing with that concept, but they won't give up the copyrights either. What can I say? That's life.

My concept was heavily inspired from guwange, you had demon spirit resurrecting a dead warrior and you would play as an undead warrior (on ground) and as the spirit (air).
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Housemarque? The same guys that made the PC iso-shooter The Reap?
MJR

Post by MJR »

Icarus wrote:Housemarque? The same guys that made the PC iso-shooter The Reap?
Hi Icarus, nice to meet you :)

Yes, they made The Reap. I worked for them a few years.
But, because of unlucky timing, I never worked on reap or stardust either. So there's no reason to get all excited ;)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Thought I recognised that company name. I loved that game. Still got it, too.
It's a shame you didn't work with them on those particular projects, as I thought they were very well realised, but the experience of working with a soft-dev would have been useful and helpful in any case.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

MJR, i remember you posting that dragon's den before.

i really like it. very nice work with a (relatively) narrow range of color.

is that as far as development of the scene got? i notice a handful of "penciled in" areas.
I have no sig whatsoever.
MJR

Post by MJR »

captain ahar wrote:MJR, i remember you posting that dragon's den before.

i really like it. very nice work with a (relatively) narrow range of color.

is that as far as development of the scene got? i notice a handful of "penciled in" areas.
Yes, elfmania datadisk was cancelled by that time. I think we had 16 colors for a scene to use. It's all documented on my webpage though.

Thanks for the comments :)
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

I just went trough some old files from earlier this year and seeing as these pieces will never be seen in any game ever, I may as well post them here. I never actually complete any of the games I begin working on you see.

First there's a couple of cannons from my never to be ground based Galaga-clone originally meant for the PSP. I made 8 different versions of these. Each a little more bulky than the last. They where to be the central enemy of the game. The game was exclusively cannon themed.
Image Image

Next there's a couple of shots from my 'big' game, a ground-based vert, that was supposed to have pixel art done in a resolution of 1280x960. This was more or less all I ever did.

Lastly there's a screenshot from my current project. If all goes to plan it will be finished by the end of the year. I'm halfway through with the levels already. The games basically a platform shooter with auto-scrolling levels, like Monsters Lair, Chelnov etc, but with more shmup idiosyncrasies thrown in. Ironically, it started out as a pitfall-clone for children that I thought might interest some of the portals for casual games.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Thought I'd throw in a link to a similar/older thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=7325
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

Hi. I made fake screen captures from my point-and-click adventure game :P Sorry for not inlining them like is rude ;) but [clipped 'cause no one wants to hear the reason why not]

Dialogue screen

Active view
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
Square King

Post by Square King »

Good lord, you guys spilled buckets full of win all over this thread! Excellent work!
Marshall banana

Post by Marshall banana »

I forgot about this thread.

I wish I was better at shading, because I've made only simple things:

Image Image Image Image

I like to make cute little GIFs, too:

Image Image Image Image
BryanM

Re: Pixel artists

Post by BryanM »

(Gosh, imgur really is the only hosting site you can trust huh. It really took forever for someone to provide that basic service.)

I've really gotten into Pico-8 these days. It's just super super cute; it's impossible to not make something super cute and simple in the thing. It's refreshing to have projects that can be finished in a week, instead of months and years ya know?

Yesterday I was working on some big enemy sprites, to add an extra little pizzaz you know? Amazing how a lizard palette swaps to a dragon, an octopus doubles for a hydra or a shoggoth, and a boxy robot with long clamp arms doubles as a tiger.

Anyway, I was working on a giant godzilla knockoff because that's the kind of thing you do when you have a soul inside you. I really wanted the thing to be spikey all over. Big, pointy spikes everywhere. But.... something horrible happened! The epic swooping tail... got in the way of the awesome clawed feet the thing has.

I was trying to force getting the foot into the sprite.... when I had to ask myself "am I doing that thing real artists always do. Where they want boobies and ass in the same shot where they can't possibly be together? Am I trying to force something that should not be?"

While not as far as that kind of twisted body horror... yes, yes I was. I was treating these claws and spikes with the same kind of greed that these comic book guys hold for girl parts... so I picked one and settled.

(Also these are fewer spikes than I would have liked. Ah, so far from the ideal world.)

(Also the amount of emotion I feel towards a specific pixel and how correct it is that it should go there, makes me feel like this design lead guy on this one game.
Last edited by BryanM on Mon May 08, 2023 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Air Master Burst

Re: Pixel artists

Post by Air Master Burst »

I have nothing technical to contribute to the discussion, but Wallpaper Engine on Steam lets me use waneella gifs for my desktop backgrounds and it's everything I ever wanted.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.