Dreamcast High-Resolution and Low-Resolution games list.

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Linkr2

Re: Dreamcast High-Resolution and Low-Resolution games list.

Post by Linkr2 »

Overkill wrote:
I'm confused here. If they're played through VGA then by definition they're not 240p
I have the vga box, and the two games play with the VGA box in 480p ofcourse. I don't have explained right, the reason i said i have the vga box is just to tell you why i have downloaded a CDr version of the resident evil CV game when i have an original PAL one. The PAL don't work with the VGA box, the Ntsc usa and Jap version works. BUT after the test in the vga box i plugged the Scart rgb to my phillips cm8833 crt monitor just to see visual diferences. And then the scanlines show... BUT again, i don't remember this two games working in 240p when i played it years ago on my crt tv
I know this post is quite old, but I'm very interested in your "240p affair" because I'm trying to patch Dreamcast games in order to work in 240p, specially Garou Mark of the Wolves.

So it will be interesting to know what those patches you applied are doing to the HEX of the game :D
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

The patch comes with this notes:

"PAL 60hz Patch
----------------------

PAL users, apply the patch before burning if you want the game to work in 60hz instead of 50hz.
This patch is useless for NTSC users.

Usage:
Apply the patch in the original image. Using an image made of a recorded CD won't work.
You maybe would like to mark the "Do not create backup" since the patcher will check the file hash
before modifying it."
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a question relevant to the OP and I didn't want to start a new thread. I recently got Street Fighter Zero 3 for Matching Service. This version supports RGB, unlike the other version of SF Zero 3 for DC. I thought that it also supports 240p, since virtually every resource online about these sorts of things says that it does, including this one: https://www.retrorgb.com/dreamcast.html

However, if you run the game in RGB mode, then it runs in 480i by default, and I don't see any way to get it to run in 240p. I tried holding Start+L at boot, and that does nothing. I also tried other combinations like Start+R, Start+Y, etc., and I tried altering the timing of it - none of these worked. Is there any way to get the game to run in 240p? I don't want to just download it - I bought this version specifically so I could have a retail copy that runs the way I want it to.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sorry for the late reply. I'm only seeing this now.

I can't tell you about SFT3 For Matching Service, but I have the PAL version of SFA3, and it supports both RGB and VGA. It works in 320x240 automatically on a TV, and doesn't even have an interlaced 480i mode as an option.
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

Mikey wrote:Sorry for the late reply. I'm only seeing this now.

I can't tell you about SFT3 For Matching Service, but I have the PAL version of SFA3, and it supports both RGB and VGA. It works in 320x240 automatically on a TV, and doesn't even have an interlaced 480i mode as an option.
Interesting. What kind of cable are you using for RGB, SCART? One thing I've wondered about is whether it matters that I'm using a VGA box for 15kHz mode rather than SCART (my monitor supports this mode over VGA) - although this hasn't been an issue for any of the other games I've tried. I don't have any working DC SCART cables to try at the moment - anyway, it seems unlikely to me that's the issue. If what you're saying is true, then the best solution might be to just get the PAL version. That's a little strange though, because I'd heard before that the "For Matching Service" version is the only version that supports RGB - but then again, they were apparently wrong about it supporting 240p, so maybe they were wrong about that too. It would be nice if there were a way to notify the makers of these lists that they're inaccurate (like the RetroRGB list, I mean).
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

For anyone who was wondering, I ended up getting the PAL Dreamcast version of Street Fighter Alpha 3, and I can confirm that what Mikey said is true - it supports RGB, and it also supports 240p in that mode. From what I can tell, this the only version of the game on the DC that supports both RGB and 240p. It looks pretty great, too. I personally think this version is almost as good as the Saturn version.