Sin & Punishment 2

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
guigui

Re: Sin & Punishment 2

Post by guigui »

undeadarego wrote:I'm excited but still, check out the 45sec mark. What is up with those faces? It's like Village of the Damned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pQfrrIMzdE
I see no strange faces at 45sec. Do you mean the pink ghost faces tied to a huge ball (at 1min 10sec) ? If yes this is Skull Keeper, one of the bosses from area 4, pretty easy one but enjoyable still since it gives a lot of points and a refreshing time in the middle of that obscure haunted forest stage that is otherwise quite hard (Slime Keeper I point at you now).

I think I'm gonna get the US or PAL version, fanboy that I am.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

jonny5 wrote:lolz...i thought this was some kinda jRPG.... :oops:

looks kinda like an updated space harrier....how do you control it?

looks kinda cool....wii only though, eh? :|
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when Germany and the Moon were at war with each other.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
jonny5 wrote:lolz...i thought this was some kinda jRPG.... :oops:

looks kinda like an updated space harrier....how do you control it?

looks kinda cool....wii only though, eh? :|
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when Germany and the Moon were at war with each other.
wuh? :?:
sfried

Post by sfried »

jonny5 wrote:but only wii.....kinda ruins it for me :x
You do know Sin & Punishment is Nintendo property? And being on the Wii is not a problem, as the nunchuck + Wii remote layout makes sense in this game.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Obiwanshinobi wrote: There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when Germany and the Moon were at war with each other.
Not sure of the Einhander relevance there. :idea:

Apologies to resurrect this thread (it was going to happen anyway once June comes) but I have a serious hard on for this game. It's absolutely amazing. I haven't had anything current-gen speak to me like this, cross platform, just about ever.

I applaud Treasure for showing how current-gen gaming could be, it's very much a modern equivalent of Japanese gaming we remember most fondly, as opposed to the dearth of puerile, template led games that get released by the gazillion for a casual public. The Japanese industry has been bending under pressure to make games with western appeal for ages now, and it's diluted and dumbed down concepts they invented and I don't like it. S&P2 on the other hand is pure old-school Treasure and up there with the best they've ever made.

The fact this game is on the Wii is also notable. It wouldn't be anywhere near as good without the Wii control setup.

For me, it has only one flaw - it's too long. I'm intent on 1cc-ing it, and that means a long, tough haul (very long!) for this type of action based game. Credit feeding doesn't feel so guilty and the restart points are generous - but the scoring system is absolutely great and a crime to ignore. I'm ranked about 360th in the world right now, so I'm going to need to put in quite a bit more work. :oops:

That quibble aside, this is my favourite new, non-shmup game in years and years. It actually makes the first S&P feel clumsy and outdated by comparison and it chews games like Bayonetta up and spits out the seeds.

Vids don't do it justice. Get this (get a Wii if you need to) crank up the volume and zone in. It's like going back to the future.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

It seems Star Successor has been delayed alongside with Other M:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/23/metro ... r-delayed/

I just hope that doesn't affect PAL release date, especially after reading Skykid's post. Although it's pretty sad that any game with big bald gray marines gets more attention than this one. And most likely everyone is more stressed about Metroid's delay.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Some gameshops here in Switzerland are saying PAL release is in October. What now? Is there anything more "official"?
:?
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Ghegs posted this earlier, and according to it, we are getting the game almost two months before NA, May 7. Then again, there has been no info whether the new NA release date affects ours too or not.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

It's worth a twilight hack for the Japanese version, easily. But you guys have waited long enough so I guess it's just around the corner.

Seriously tho, this game is tha shit. Absolutely the best thing to happen to modern gaming in aaaaages.

Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Any UKers know a store that exports? To, say, New Zealand? There is no release date for it here yet, and I'm a little concerned.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
guigui

Post by guigui »

Euro version is available now. Check out the not-so-bad-and-even-quite-good alternative cover and manual :

Regular cover is quite weird though :

Yay, Treasure for the win !
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Loving that reversible cover and instruction manual art - didn't even get that in the Japanese release. Apparently it's for the European release only?

http://kotaku.com/5532246/nintendo-game ... g-japanese

Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I get a Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind vibe when I look at that cover. 8)
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Oh wow, that's just rad!

NGENNN, waiting for my order impatiently!
Edit: Just noticed that instead Star Successor, PAL version has Successor of the Skies subtitle. What's the matter with that? To produce maximum amount of confusion? Nevertheless, I like it a bit more since it goes better along with S&P64's subtitle, Successor of the Earth.
Last edited by Ebbo on Thu May 06, 2010 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

This game is so good I might even consider buying it twice.

No idea why the US one is dubbed 'Star Successor' though, sounds stupid. :idea:

Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Any UKers know a store that exports? To, say, New Zealand? There is no release date for it here yet, and I'm a little concerned.
Hello? :(

EDIT: n/m - Looks like Game does.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
chempop

Post by chempop »

Skykid, your description makes me kick myself for holding out for the US release. S+P2 is very much the first non-shmup I've had a craving for in years.

That art on the EU release is killer!
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

chempop wrote:Skykid, your description makes me kick myself for holding out for the US release. S+P2 is very much the first non-shmup I've had a craving for in years.
If you can play Japanese games you should definitely have bought it ages ago. :wink:

But nearly there now anyway, it'll be in your local stores... today I believe. Go buy it!

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

And the biggest question is... 60 Hz?
The way out is cut off

guigui

Post by guigui »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:And the biggest question is... 60 Hz?

I could read the back of the box in a store yesterday. French release proudly states "60 images par seconde !". 60 hertz for the win !
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Eurogamer just uploaded a review (they have already covered the import).
The way out is cut off

guigui

Post by guigui »

Does anyone know if Save é Exit option now keeps score ?
Would make the game shorter in a sense...
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

guigui wrote:Does anyone know if Save é Exit option now keeps score ?
Would make the game shorter in a sense...
If so I'm importing the Euro/US version.

Please someone try this!
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

Sorry guys. Saving and quitting still resets your score.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

MrMonkeyMan wrote:Sorry guys. Saving and quitting still resets your score.
The idiots.
MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

Well, when you actually think about it, how would they implement a save and quit feature that let you keep your score?

You always start at the last checkpoint, so it would need to save your score at the exact moment you passed that point and because of the checkpoint you could save and quit if things start to go wrong before the next checkpoint. Even if your save was deleted when you load your game you could always save and quit before the next checkpoint to avoid mistakes and try again.

Maybe a score attack only mode where you can save and quit between each stage, but once you load your save it's deleted. Whatever, it's not going to happen for the North American release.
guigui

Post by guigui »

MrMonkeyMan wrote:Well, when you actually think about it, how would they implement a save and quit feature that let you keep your score?

You always start at the last checkpoint, so it would need to save your score at the exact moment you passed that point and because of the checkpoint you could save and quit if things start to go wrong before the next checkpoint. Even if your save was deleted when you load your game you could always save and quit before the next checkpoint to avoid mistakes and try again.

Maybe a score attack only mode where you can save and quit between each stage, but once you load your save it's deleted. Whatever, it's not going to happen for the North American release.
Bah.
Seriously, who has three hours straigh to spend on a scoring game nowadays ?
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

guigui wrote: Bah.
Seriously, who has three hours straigh to spend on a scoring game nowadays ?
This is the only problem, as I mentioned - it's a long haul and will take aaages to be brilliant at. But I treat it very much like a shmup: one credit, see how far I can get, die, turn it off, come back another time and start over and try to be more score efficient.

It's not that painful really, but it will take yonks to finish the game this way and after a while you're itching to be blown away by what's around the next corner (because it's rarely anything that doesn't blow your mind.)

As I mentioned, I think my personal best is stage three of seven!

adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

MrMonkeyMan wrote:Well, when you actually think about it, how would they implement a save and quit feature that let you keep your score?

Well, a simpler option would just be to divide the game into three scoring areas. I forget how many stages there are overall, 9? Anyways, stages 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 etc. they could have just split up the leaderboards that way and spared everyone 3 hour straight playthroughs. The fact that they didn't, even when they had 6 months to do so before the overseas release indicates to me that they didn't perceive it as a problem, which is a shame. To me this really limited the replay value of the game even though it's definitely on my top 10 of 2009 and I think it's definitely the Wii's best game.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

I just got around to finishing this after our discussion the other day. What can I say? It's mind-blowingly exceptional. I can't believe how creative some of the bosses are. Truly an incredible experience.