What's up with the Post Office?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
LoneSage

What's up with the Post Office?

Post by LoneSage »

OK, I sent a guy $20 at neo-geo.com for TwinbeeDetana Deluxe Pack for the Saturn on January 21; he lives in California, I live in Virginia. He's telling me he still hasn't gotten the money, and I believe him because he's a reputable seller.

Anyone know what to do? Letters can't get lost...right? He's starting to get agitated and think it's my fault :(
uwfan

Post by uwfan »

you sent cash thru the mail?

not a good idea.

Additionally i suggest using priority mail if you use have to use USPS.
Super Laydock

Re: What's up with the Post Office?

Post by Super Laydock »

LoneSage wrote:OK, I sent a guy $20 at neo-geo.com for TwinbeeDetana Deluxe Pack for the Saturn on January 21; he lives in California, I live in Virginia. He's telling me he still hasn't gotten the money, and I believe him because he's a reputable seller.

Anyone know what to do? Letters can't get lost...right? He's starting to get agitated and think it's my fault :(
Letters or any other stuff CAN get lost!
It doesn't happen much fortunately but sometthing like 1 in 100 packages doesn't arrive at it's destination or with damage.
For instance I sent games to Bullletmagnet and NLI (Neon) around half December last year via priority from the Netherlands to the US. Usually taking about a week, but as far as I know both games (shipped on the same day) haven't arrived yet. I shipped them allright, but they didn't arrive on time. It sure as hell isn't my fault, also please realise that post companies aren't without their faults either. Morale here is: always offer insurance/trackability and deny responsibility if not shipped that way. You can still ship as cheaply as the buyer wants, but you have some insurance/non liability if the game gets lost.
Still I 'd say normal mail is 98% reliable and if I buy stuff I usually take the risk of getting lost....
Last edited by Super Laydock on Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
magnum opus

Post by magnum opus »

it's 5-7 business days I think, not counting the day you sent it.
so don't get too worried until tuesday.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Thanks a whole lot, magnum opus. You definitely make me feel better now.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

What Magnum Opus said, but I'd also take uwfan's advice in the future...it might cost a bit extra (for the second option anyways), but for future purchases sending a check or money order is generally a better way to go if you can't pay online or via some other "quick" means.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Postal Money Orders are dirt cheap and you can get it while your sending your package/envelope/whatever. Yeah, I run a record label and ship shit every day. Rate at which packages is lost isn't alarming--I don't think about it to much, but it does happen. I'd say once every month or every other month a package I sent doesn't get where it is supposed to go. Of course, that's including international orders which is a bit more risky.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
dbd

-

Post by dbd »

I used to be right into horror films, back before the www existed, and in those days sending uncrossed postal orders and unregistered parcels was easy, no-one ever stole anything and they arrived in the normal frames of time expected for 1st or 2nd class mails. Also, no-one ever ripped off me or tried to, and I of course didn't take anyone else's stuff and not send out what I said I would.

Totally trustworthy and I had loads of buyers and bought from others too.

Now you can't even rely on registered mail arriving on time.........and thesedays I wouldn't even consider buying anything expect from a real online store, and even then............
df0notfound

Post by df0notfound »

They get lost because the sorting offices are staffed by asylum seekers who can hardly speak a word of English and don't give a shit about your packages.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Fuckin A, the guy finally got it in the mail today..we were both about to give up.

Thanks a lot Magnum for telling me that; if you hadn't, then I think me and the guy would have just let the transaction go.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

A valid question indeed. I won that Neo Fami console from this guy (who has !00% positive feedback) who lives in Utah, ONE state over from Colorado. I won the item on Jan. 18th, and I know that I sent the money order for it either on that day or on the 19th. He still hasn't gotten it! So what IS up with the post office taking that long to deliver a money order from Colorado to Utah! :?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

It probably got lost somewhere for awhile, because the guy who got the money from me said that the date Jan 29 was stamped on it and not Jan 21 or whatever :?

I'm always confident that it'll either go to the person you intended or at least right back to you.