UPDATE:Kutaragi sez: PSP design flaws my fault = brilliance!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Dylan1CC

UPDATE:Kutaragi sez: PSP design flaws my fault = brilliance!

Post by Dylan1CC »

Just caught this off TNL from a Gamespot article which quotes Kutragi's response to complaints about the PSP's somewhat flawed functionality of the square button:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/0...ws_6116985.html

It's an article about the defective Square button in the PSP, talking about how it's not as responsive as the other buttons because it rubs right up against the screen. Kutaragi's response?

Quote:
This is the design that we came up with. There may be people that complain about its usability, but that's something which users and game software developers will have to adapt to.

Also-

Quote:
I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that.

There's more in the article, you should read the whole thing for full context, but those are the important bits. Kutaragi says quite clearly that it's more important for the PSP to look good than play well. The sad thing is that he knows better.

Dylan's take:

Wow, is it any wonder folks like Mikami and Itagaki HATE working with this guy? And people thought Yamauchi was arrogant. "Hey, picture this. The PSP is like a really nice looking house built by the renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright, except the door is on the roof. But hey, lots of people like Frank Lloyd Wright and he even designed a gas station one time so why question the way I designed the system?" lol Wow. Here's hoping the DS and the next GB collectively blow the PSP outta the water.

This is 100X worse than before the PS2 launch when he compared the system to the achievement to the Great Wall of China. That's like comparing a walkman to the ruins of Machu Picchu. *head spins* Japanese businessman eccentricity is always better when it doesn't insult your intelligence at a 4th grade excuse making level.
Last edited by Dylan1CC on Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

I should add, as reported not all PSP's have this and other flaws. But in the end this is just a cold, hard company before customer response.
joshschw

Post by joshschw »

Well all PSP's have a Square button not aligned perfect, I guess its just a matter of some noticing it more or maybe just aligned even worse. hers a picture: http://www.gamesarefun.com/consoles/psp/square.jpg
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

Well what else did you expect from Sony: World Famous Makers of Craptacular Hardware???
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
dementia

Post by dementia »

Yeah, I heard about this earlier. That's a real shame.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Just wanted to say that pic josh posted is rediculous, the button sensor itself IS right on the edge of the flippin' screen. Criminy...
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Here's a link to the original article (hopefully it'll work):

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01/24 ... 16985.html

According to Katuragi, the reason he squished the button into such a bad spot was because he didn't want the screen any smaller or the body any larger...fair enough, but did he really think that gamers would value the aforementioned over competent control of the games they're playing? If nothing else, the designers of this system need to get their priorities straight...
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

I any case, it's like noob said. It's Sony, they're the MTV/McDonald's of the gaming industry.
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

Ya know, I'm not a big handheld fan. In fact, the GBA was the first one I bought, and that was because it was a basically a mini SNES (32-bit my ass).
I wanted to support the last bastion of 2-D development. And what development we've seen: Gradius Galaxies, Astro-Boy, 2 excellent and one decent 2-D Castlevania, a handheld Metal Slug, 3 new platformer Mega Mans, and all rendered beautifully in sprite form. I doubt there will be anything like that for the PSP. It seems that Sony is only interested in making a mini Playstation 1.5, full of 3-D racers, FPS's, and Maddens. I'm disappointed to hear about the apparently massive design flaws in Kutaragi's new "masterpiece of design", but ultimately it's the lack of games that I'll actually be interested in that'll keep me from buying this thing.

On the other hand, the screenshots of the new DS Castlevania have my interest piqued.....
E. Randy Dupre

Re: Kutaragi sez: PSP design flaws my fault which = brillian

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong.
Er, yes. Yes , they would. Especially if you'd put the hinges on the top of it.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Mr. Kutaragi would also like to add that black is actually white and 1 + 1 = potato.
magnum opus

Post by magnum opus »

BulletMagnet wrote: the body any larger..
now I don't know the exact scale of that picture, but really the body would have been what an extra 1/8 inch wider, was that really worth a broken controller.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I can't wait to see Penny Arcade's take on this. Oh boy.. *snicker*
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BIG

Post by BIG »

I'd hate to rain on this parade,but do any of you actually own a PSP?

At first,I was very skeptical about the PSP,due to the misinformation from various different sources and nay-sayers about its design "flaws",but guess what? Once I had it in my hand and actually had a chance to play with it first hand,all the doubts in my mind were gone. I was totally blown away by this nifty little handheld. The buttons work just fine and did not stick at all (well,atleast mine doesn't),and the loadtimes aren't too shabby,either.

BIG-
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

BIG wrote:I'd hate to rain on this parade,but do any of you actually own a PSP?
A somewhat valid point, as a lot of bashing does go on. Except... the theme in this thread is Sony's arrogance, especially that of Kutaragi. So, no need to worry about the parade. One doesn't have to own a PSP to make such comments with credibility.

Bill
Zhon

Post by Zhon »

If you look at it from Sony's point of view - it's great. As long as it doesn't stop people from buying PSP's (and it won't) - then they'll still sell. Why bother putting the expense into fixing it immediately? Plus - if it breaks down, then people have to buy a replacement, which means more sales.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

I will keep at a safe distance until Sony releases the inevitable upgrade to their system like always. If I have learned anything from experience, it is to never buy first wave systems. They are expensive, possibly buggy, and lacking games.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
BIG

Post by BIG »

the2bears wrote:
A somewhat valid point, as a lot of bashing does go on. Except... the theme in this thread is Sony's arrogance, especially that of Kutaragi. So, no need to worry about the parade. One doesn't have to own a PSP to make such comments with credibility.

Bill
A very good and valid point there,but of all seriousness,does it really matter? Sony and Kutaragi can be as arrogant and obnoxious as they want to be,since most people will be more than happy to pay for it comes time for the US launch. :)

BIG-
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

And then they'll return the defective systems en-masse. Sony has to remember retailers in the USA have a policy very different to those in Japan. "Didn't like it? Bring it back."

Why do you think Ipod is the #1 portable media player now? Minidisc is not, and "walkman" is soon to be considered a passé word.

Mind you, I am not bashing the PSP. I have a feeling the portable war could be interesting, unlike the current console war. But you know, the honor of releasing half-assed, badly finished, low QC products used to be that of a company in Washington, not Sony... what was its name? Oh yeah. Microsoft.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

At first,I was very skeptical about the PSP,due to the misinformation from various different sources and nay-sayers about its design "flaws",but guess what? Once I had it in my hand and actually had a chance to play with it first hand,all the doubts in my mind were gone. I was totally blown away by this nifty little handheld. The buttons work just fine and did not stick at all (well,atleast mine doesn't),and the loadtimes aren't too shabby,either.

BIG-
I don't doubt you for a second, really. I want one myself. But due to all these reports I'm gonna wait at least a few months after the U.S. launch to hear feedback (not to mention my budget), plus the point still stands that Sony and Kutaragi can be real jerks. If my DS had any defects Nintendo would replace it with no issue and not say something like Kenny boy did.

The only real issue with the DS is scratching the touch screen but it is so durable I only have two tiny hairline scrtaches on it which can only be seen if a bright light is right above it. I at least wish Sony had the decency to give the PSP had a flippable screen cover of some kind, that would cut down 90% of complints about it scratching and smudging. I don't really care if I have some scuffs on the body of a portable as long as the screen is fine. Even though the DS is twice the size of the SP it still fits snugly in the pocket of whatever pants I'm wearing and due to the cover I don't have to empty my change or keys out into the other pocket like I assume I would with a PSP. I suppose one could always buy some plastic stick covers though which I'm sure they'll make. But those glare sometimes.
Last edited by Dylan1CC on Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

Well Sony has always had this reputation for shoddy hardware ever since the ps1. It really is a great philosophy from a business sense. They put out shoddy cheap to build hardware and the consumer buys it. When the hardware breaks down, they don't swear off Sony or curse their name...THEY BUY ANOTHER ONE! Wrap it all up in Sony hype about Emotion engine super computers and other BS and the consumers just lap it up.

As for the "hey guys mine works great, I don't know what all these problems are that keep getting brought up," really I've seen these posts everywhere and no offense but I'm still not putting my trust in Sony hardware. Everytime theres tons of posts about Sony hardware, there's always one guy who's put his ps2 in a blender, used it to smack criminals around, used it as body armor in iraq, and it still plays games just fine. Oh yeah and it is a launch system too. I don't doubt the truthfulness of these posts but my long history of playing videogames has taught me that I will never be one of those individuals touched by the console god.

These people should also recognize that not everyone is as lucky as they are because that is exactly what it is LUCK.
BIG

Post by BIG »

The n00b wrote:Well Sony has always had this reputation for shoddy hardware ever since the ps1. It really is a great philosophy from a business sense. They put out shoddy cheap to build hardware and the consumer buys it. When the hardware breaks down, they don't swear off Sony or curse their name...THEY BUY ANOTHER ONE! Wrap it all up in Sony hype about Emotion engine super computers and other BS and the consumers just lap it up.

As for the "hey guys mine works great, I don't know what all these problems are that keep getting brought up," really I've seen these posts everywhere and no offense but I'm still not putting my trust in Sony hardware. Everytime theres tons of posts about Sony hardware, there's always one guy who's put his ps2 in a blender, used it to smack criminals around, used it as body armor in iraq, and it still plays games just fine. Oh yeah and it is a launch system too. I don't doubt the truthfulness of these posts but my long history of playing videogames has taught me that I will never be one of those individuals touched by the console god.

These people should also recognize that not everyone is as lucky as they are because that is exactly what it is LUCK.
Wow,rough day at work? :lol:

BIG-
Brian

Post by Brian »

I have a PSP and all these so-called flaws are bullshit. You either need to purposely be trying to break the machine, twist it, burn it, shit on it, etc.. to screw it up.

The system is truly a masterwork. It is sleek, sexy with the most beautiful and lush graphics one can imagine on a handheld. Ridge Racer is hands down the best RR on any system. Period. Lumines is a work of art that could never be done on any other handheld. I mean, every game I own for it (4 of them, the 2 mentioned and Dynasty Warriors and Vampire Chronicles) is superb in its presentation and playability.

The analog stick is flat and works like a charm and the triggers are so well placed you can barely see them. If you have not held or played the PSP you really need to and quit reading hearsay.
magnum opus

Post by magnum opus »

Brian wrote:If you have not held or played the PSP you really need to and quit reading hearsay.
what hearsay? Kutaragi himself said its a fuck up.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

No I'm just bitter that I will never ever be like Brian. I got a thompson drive xbox, my launch ps2 broke some time ago, and my sega cd broke back when they were still making sega cd games. For once, I'd like to say that "all you guys are screwy, my segacd/turboduo/xbox/ps2 has been working perfectly since launch. Obviously you guys treat your systems like shit." I want to be that guy, I want to live his life.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I'll add my two bits in since I also have a PSP...

The square button is fine. No, really. I haven't had any trouble with it yet. The analog pad works way better than I expected. The screen looks fantastic. The defective system rate for the PSP is really low, but Sony doesn't count burned out pixels or complaints about the square button as defective, so said rate might be misleading. The number of systems that don't work is definitely low, however.

The only problem I had with my PSP was the d-pad "squeaked" for a little while after I got it. It needed some breaking-in I guess. It's fine now. I guess the shoulder buttons are a little small too... but they're usable.

It's an impressive system, and it blows the DS out of the water in terms of visuals. (Yes, I own both.) Whether it deserves it or not, I'm quite certain that the processing power of the system will make it a bigger sales success than the DS in the long run, in the US at least. Americans are suckers for flashy visuals... I can only guess that people in Europe are taken in by pretty graphics too, but I don't know.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Just so I don't feel like a fool when I get my hands on one I will say for now Brian and BIG's good fortune makes me a lot more optimistic. So if I gush about the system after I get to try it (which may be next month, a co-worker is getting one from a friend in Japan in Feb, probably with RR) at least I have said that for now. :P

But the point still stands....

...Kutaragi is seriously reveling in the aforementioned fact peeps will buy 'em by the bushel no matter how many are actually defective (and if it's so rare why all the complaints elsewhere?). Almost like he is either delusional or just plain laughing at the folks who lose money having to buy a replacement.
Brian

Post by Brian »

When I say hearsay, I am not speaking directly to Sony's PR machine. Things like, if you twist the system the UMD flys out, etc.. I know, it has been proven to actually happen, and if you have twisted the system and the UMD popped out, you deserve a broken PSP.

I am beginning to see that a small minority of people on this board are utter maniacs. You want to piss all over the PSP because it comes from Sony. You want to ban EA from your life because their bank account swells with greenbacks. Who cares? If Sony makes a good product, which they do, i.e. what other system gives you Espgaluda, GWG, Psyiko Collections, etc., why get so mad? Same with EA. Of course they make some crap, every company has at one point. They also make awesome stuff like NBA Street and NFL Street.

Bottom line is, if you can hold and play a PSP and not think it is classically designed and looks amazing you truly might be a tool of a competitor.
magnum opus

Post by magnum opus »

Brian wrote: If Sony makes a good product, which they do, i.e. what other system gives you Espgaluda, GWG, Psyiko Collections, etc., why get so mad?
Ah but there's the rub this minority does not believe sony makes a good product. We're also anti sony from ventures outside of games, their anti-piracy stance that ends up doing things like atrac, and CD's you can't listen to in ANY computer and a small percent of stereo's (although i think that one got toned down a bit). and the system provides those game because it is popular in japan and so has a good user base in the target market, not because it is a sony product.

Same with EA. Of course they make some crap, every company has at one point. They also make awesome stuff like NBA Street and NFL Street.
the problems with EA come not just from the shit they turn out on a regular basis but also their megalithic business practices, like trying to swallow everything that makes a profit. and monopolies are bad.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

Too bad Sony makes a shitty product. The devs just have to cope with it because the ps2 sold the most, not because it is some high quality hardware. I'll still buy replacement ps2s for the games avaliable but I am not going to pretend that Sony is some great hardware maker. I am also not going to pretend that my ps2 broke down because of anything I did wrong.

As for EA, I would not be so mad if they bought out VC and continued to make ESPN NFL2k along with Madden. EA didn't do that, they could not buy the nfl2k series and they did not think they could compete with Sega so they bought out all the licenses. EA even bought out the arena football license as a last kick in Sega's face. Now they want to buy out ubisoft. Do they want to kill off Splinter Cell too?

I'm not asking you to do anything about EA. You can go on buying their games and buy all the Madden memoribilia you can possibly want. I don't care. I have bought many of EA's game so I feel that I contributed to what EA has become. I realize my money is no big deal. I'm just not going to help them do any more of this crap. They really don't need my money anymore, so what's the big deal?