UPDATE:Kutaragi sez: PSP design flaws my fault = brilliance!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
vek

Post by vek »

dave4shmups wrote:"If you've really had so much trouble with Sony hardware, it's you that is unlucky not everyone else that is lucky."

I'm gonna disagree here. Do you all really think that people have nothing better to do in their lives then make up stuff about how Sony hardware is shoddy?! I owned a modded PSone for a whole week before the thing wouldn't read discs anymore. And I treat my consoles VERY well; I make sure that they are not all bunched together, to give them room for the heat they produce, and I also keep them dust free. I didn't take walks with the PSone every day and repeadedly throw it on the ground every few minutes.

And you don't have to try that hard to break Sony hardware. The lid on my PSTwo feels like it's made out of friggin' tissue paper, and that if you push it up one centimeter too much it's going to snap off.
I said I wasn't going to argue about this anymore, but since you seem to have misunderstood what I said, I shall explain once more.

I did not at any point say people are making it up when they say their Sony hardware has broken. I believe them. I have NO idea where you got that from. What I said was that the vast majority of Sony hardware works absolutely fine, thus it is not the people with working products that are lucky, it is the people whose products seem to repeatedly break that are unlucky.

Either unlucky, stupid, or trying to break it. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume you're unlucky.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

Thanks, but I think I'll go with "Sony makes crappy hardware." I'll wait for the 2nd revision of the PSP before getting one.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

"I said I wasn't going to argue about this anymore, but since you seem to have misunderstood what I said, I shall explain once more.

I did not at any point say people are making it up when they say their Sony hardware has broken. I believe them. I have NO idea where you got that from."

I apologize Vek, I thought that some other people on this thread, not you, were giving this sort of impression-I was not trying to pin this on you.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
vek

Post by vek »

dave4shmups wrote:"I said I wasn't going to argue about this anymore, but since you seem to have misunderstood what I said, I shall explain once more.

I did not at any point say people are making it up when they say their Sony hardware has broken. I believe them. I have NO idea where you got that from."

I apologize Vek, I thought that some other people on this thread, not you, were giving this sort of impression-I was not trying to pin this on you.
no problem man, just assumed you were aiming that at me because the line quoted at the top was mine :)
BIG

Post by BIG »

The n00b wrote:Thanks, but I think I'll go with "Sony makes crappy hardware." I'll wait for the 2nd revision of the PSP before getting one.
Sony makes crap hardware....Kutaragi's over the top arrogance....you buying a PSP....:roll:

How did THAT happen? :lol:

BIG-
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

:lol: Unlike a few diehard fanboys, I'm not some frothing at the mouth dork who feels the need to "love my hardware in that special way" in order for me to like the games on a system. I like virtuafighter 4 but hate Sony's crappy hardware. I might not like Sony's quality of work but my love for virtuafighter conquers all.

I'm really interested in GT4 and vampire chronicles for the PSP so I'll just wait for the early adopters to beta test it for me :wink:
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Sorry to re-bump this, but you gotta see this comic.

Vox populi, vox Dei. :D

http://www.snafu-comics.com/?strip_id=169

(Edit) How creepy is it that just as I revived this topic, the thread had 666 views, with 66 replies. Repent and save your soul from the impending doom. Buy a DS. :P
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Sony is cutting Japanese gamers with a bad square button a break and offering to fix it for free and also stating the next batch will have properly placed square buttons. So much for Kutaragi's completely moronic statement that "We intentionally designed it that way. You don't question where an architect puts the door to a building." Heh. You do if the "door" obscures or gets stuck in part of the "window" when it's opened. Anyways...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/22 ... 18930.html
TOKYO--Following complaints by consumers in Japan, Sony Computer Entertainment officially announced that it will repair any PSP suffering from a defective square button. According to reports, a manufacturing defect caused some units' square buttons to stick when pressed and not pop back up.

Sony released a statement that said the problem affected only about 0.6 percent of the 510,000 PSPs that were shipped during 2004. The company assured gamers that the manufacturing problem has since been solved, and PSP units shipped after the start of 2005--all those that will go on sale in the US on March 24--will not suffer from the problem.

Owners of a Japanese PSP with a defective square button should send the unit to Sony's repair service, which will fix the machine for free. Details on the PSP swap are available from the official Japanese PlayStation site.

By Staff -- GameSpot
POSTED: 02/22/05 10:26 AM PST
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hmm...maybe I'm missing something, but it seems that they're addressing a completely different problem here: wasn't the original trouble with the square button supposed to be that it wouldn't always respond when pressed? This "fix" mentioned here seems to address that the button can stick and not pop back out...are these two problems both due to the same oddball placement of the button, or something else?
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Hmm...maybe I'm missing something, but it seems that they're addressing a completely different problem here: wasn't the original trouble with the square button supposed to be that it wouldn't always respond when pressed?
I dunno, that sound slike the same issue to me. May be a Jap/English thingy.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

MWA HA HA HA! Guess Kutaragi-san can expect a chunk taken off his paycheck anytime soon. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Dylan1CC wrote:I dunno, that sound slike the same issue to me. May be a Jap/English thingy.
If that's the case, though, how exactly do they propose to "fix" it? After all, as the boss himself said, the button's placement is an inherent part of the unit's design: unless they somehow change the entire layout of the thing, how can they "fix" it? I still say it sounds like a completely different issue...
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

"-all those that will go on sale in the US on March 24--will not suffer from the problem. "

I'll believe that when I see it. Interesting how Sony always mysteriously identifies problems with their hardware AFTER it's already been released. They need to get their arses in gear BEFORE they release products to the public.

And there's a stronger then usual scent of "What the hell?" in the air with this latest Sony press release. BulletMagnet makes a good point; how are they going to fix a problem that their CEO stated was purposely intigrated into the PSP? Especially considering that doing so would require re-sizing the entire screen, and moving over one of the buttons. They expect us to beleive that they're going to do this with hundreds of thousands of PSPs in less then a month?

Perhaps they're just trying to cover their arses and say that there's no problem so that US consumers won't back off from pre-ordering or purchasing PSPs in the wake of the reported problems with some Japanese PSPs.

Even if they do fix the square button, knowing Sony, they'll probably screw up another button on the PSP in the process.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
peeveen

Post by peeveen »

Thanks, but I think I'll go with "Sony makes crappy hardware." I'll wait for the 2nd revision of the PSP before getting one.
Yeah, I always thought that Sony consoles felt kinda flimsy compared to their competition ... until last month, when I did something bad and my wife threw my PS1, PS2 and Dreamcast down a flight of stairs. :) The Dreamcast now sometimes displays in black and white (if I give it a shake, it sometimes goes back to colour) ... the Sony machines work fine!

I've had a PSP for almost three weeks now ... no dead pixels, no dodgy buttons ... played it every day. I guess I've been kinda lucky. :)
vek

Post by vek »

These are very clearly different problems. The original link was about this button being slightly less responsive. This new one is about them just plain not working. If you press a button and it doesn't pop back up, that's not the same as 'less responsive', that's a broken button.

This wouldn't require a redesign of the PSP, or it would effect a lot more than 0.6% of units. It's amazing how in the space of a few posts, fixing broken buttons on just over 3000 machines changes into re-designing hundreds of thousands of machines. Never ceases to amaze me, this internet thing :)
kemical

Post by kemical »

hm skim skim..

i have a psp and never noticed anything strange with that button, no problems at all.
the button problem effects a very small amount of the initial shipment and its not even related to the placement of the button, its related to plastic bits not fully being trimmed after however the case is molded.

the psp's that have been made in 2005 no longer have a chance of this problem from what i've heard, but also the psp's will be switching to manufacturing outside of japan eventually with a different brand lcd and whatnot..

I'm really impressed with the PSP and I;m not much of a handheld gamer (i've only ever had the original gameboy). compared to my roomates' DS the PSP is amazing. I just hope we see some shooters for the psp.. or maybe homebrew dev eventually with how the software on memorystick stuff works.
df0notfound

Post by df0notfound »

kemical wrote:hm skim skim..

i have a psp and never noticed anything strange with that button, no problems at all.
the button problem effects a very small amount of the initial shipment and its not even related to the placement of the button, its related to plastic bits not fully being trimmed after however the case is molded.

the psp's that have been made in 2005 no longer have a chance of this problem from what i've heard, but also the psp's will be switching to manufacturing outside of japan eventually with a different brand lcd and whatnot..

I'm really impressed with the PSP and I;m not much of a handheld gamer (i've only ever had the original gameboy). compared to my roomates' DS the PSP is amazing. I just hope we see some shooters for the psp.. or maybe homebrew dev eventually with how the software on memorystick stuff works.
Nope thats an unrelated fault, sonys just making a big fuss about it hoping people think all X button problems are resolved.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Yeah, I always thought that Sony consoles felt kinda flimsy compared to their competition ... until last month, when I did something bad and my wife threw my PS1, PS2 and Dreamcast down a flight of stairs. The Dreamcast now sometimes displays in black and white (if I give it a shake, it sometimes goes back to colour) ... the Sony machines work fine!
Screw the PSP, I want to know what this guy did to annoy his wife so much that she threw his consoles down the freaking stairs :D