shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:07 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10834 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 358, 359, 360, 361, 362  Next
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:30 am 

I am soy-facing SO HARD right now!

It was pure sunk cost fallacy that had me sticking by my old X-Arcade Solo for so long, this thing is superior in every way. Like my old NES advantage on Steroids.

Note the included octagonal gate at its side. So technically the stick is $8 cheaper than advertised (good thing I watched an unboxing video!) It was literally a snap to install.

Plugged it in and finally did something I've been wanting to do for over 20 years: play Cho Ren Sha 68K with autofire.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:30 am 

Bought a new computer. core i7 10700K, Nvidia 2070 Super, and 32 gigs of 3200 RAM. I also bought multiple keyboards, some for web browsing on the TV and others like the havit and filco for gaming. I especially like how the filco plugs into the PS/2 port (surprised some computers still have these, good thing it does). I also bought a few different mice with the logitech g-pro hero, the similar logitech 305 wireless, and the benq zowie being my favorites. I also ended up buying a new Asus laptop with more modest specs only 8GB of RAM, 1650ti, and i7 10705H, as well as an ipad mini. I like the membrane keyboard on the laptop. I like those thin keys and it has good rollover (I was able to type the full quick brown fox sentence). Too bad the Ares M1 membrane keyboard that came with the comp was not like that. Very odd rollover (all of the main letters except x, cheap build (plastic yay!), mushy keys, and the bottom keys scrape the space bar.

edit: Forgot to mention that the stand in the picture allows me to tate the monitor. Excellent for shmups. Good thing switch has a headphone jack since the monitor doesn't have speakers. I also bought an Asus monitor with speakers which I put above my SD TV. Both monitors have under a frame of input lag, AFAIK. Freesync, but G-Sync seems to work fine with both. Both are 144Hz, as well. Acer is a TN panel and Asus is an IPS.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:59 am 

I don't even buy monitors unless they come with a base that allows full rotation anymore.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:43 am 

Mischief Maker wrote:

It was pure sunk cost fallacy that had me sticking by my old X-Arcade Solo for so long, this thing is superior in every way. Like my old NES advantage on Steroids.

Note the included octagonal gate at its side. So technically the stick is $8 cheaper than advertised (good thing I watched an unboxing video!) It was literally a snap to install.

Plugged it in and finally did something I've been wanting to do for over 20 years: play Cho Ren Sha 68K with autofire.

The F500 is one of my favorite sticks!
Great choice!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:01 pm 

Spoiler: show

It was cheap, so I ordered it on a whim not even having made sure it was a CD (the format I expected). To my surprise, it gives me incentive to try it out on my late uncle's record player that should still be operational, resting in his place. It helps great deal that I don't need to clutter MY place with any more hardware for the sake of just playing one record.
Or, come to think of it, I perhaps can bring it with me to a record store I like to visit in search of my whimsical comfort CD (or DVD) buys, and ask them to play it for me (there's usually some vinyl playing there anyways). Then maybe exchange it for a CD, appropriately priced?

The "???" one is And Who Shall Go to the Ball? And What Shall Go to the Ball? (don't ask) by Scott Walker, apparently out of print anymore, so I was pleased to find it easily, not too expensive for my tastes yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:31 am 

Just received this in the mail.

And with that, I think I'm done purchasing AES and MVS carts for this year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:47 am 

Great game. :smile: Reminds me of a Caveman Ninja / Chiki Chiki Boys hybrid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:49 pm 

Recently got the game too (for MVS). I love it's consistently high pacing and varied setpieces. Kind of a streamlined (and way more forgiving) Joe & Mac to me. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:15 pm 

Picked up a Korean version of Battle Garegga, not sure how rare it is, but it seemed neat:

And bit the bullet on Madoka Magica, since it's one of my favorite shows, albeit ridiculously overpriced.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:39 pm 

Yeah, I bit the same Madoka bullet a few months ago.

Totally worth it, show is shockingly good.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:31 am 

Regarding Battle Garegga!
I'm actually selling my copy of Battle Garegga collectors.
It only came with a game code and no physical bluray game like you have.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:38 pm 

Very nice. I have no idea where I'd put it, though...

I dream of Castle Shikigami getting that kind of treatment one day.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:16 am 

The Christ Agony CD is a compilation of their first two demo tapes, apparently pretty rare (stand-alone Epitaph of Christ reissue - much more likely to get hold of). I like the cover artwork* of Missa Salisburgensis conducted by Jordi Savall record better, but then - Paul McCreesh seems to be a decent fellow. The words he spoke about his working in my Heimat seemed like he meant it, rather than shallow courtesy, to me.

*) Choosing a record of these by the cover is practical, to say the least. Usually works for me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:16 pm 

Just bought my first arcade stick for MAME and MiSTer duty. Installed an LS-32 stick and colored Seimitsu buttons to go with the MVS artwork I ordered.

I would like to get an old ATi card so I can use GroovyMAME on my 32” JVC AV-32D303, but I can’t use that in TATE so am looking for another CRT for that. I really like the idea of getting one of those 27” flat Wei-ya tubes, but it doesn’t come with a chassis and I have no idea what would be needed to feed it a signal.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:09 pm 

It was worth two days' worth of sobriety so I gathered energy to assemble & try out my recently purchased microphone. Seems like some fun times are about to be had using it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:32 pm 

I made a video showing some obscure games and hardware I picked up just recently!
Check it out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bxYTN1JPDg
Here's a pic as requested (can't post with img tags cause it sorta breaks the layout cause it's so large):
https://i.imgur.com/HKqyh5s.jpg

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:20 pm 

Bought another keyboard. Havit KB390L. I'm liking this one quite a bit. Thin keycaps and low profile Kalih choc switches. Polling rate and response time can be adjusted in software. I like these switches quite a bit. Nice and clicky and one on the quietest switches I have tried (the loudest being Outemu browns and Razer optomechanical). It's also not super expensive like the Logitech keyboards with rebranded Kailh Choc Switches.

Edited with picture taken without flash to show blue light. Edit: The dpad on that Logitech controller in the pic turned out to be not so awesome. It presses all switches at once when pressed down in the middle. ugh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:17 am 

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:43 pm 

I just bought a copy of this on my way home today: has a Bullet-Hell feature if any of you read/speak German:

https://www.return-magazin.de/produkt/r ... usgabe-42/

Quote:
Bullethell-Shooter Teil 1: Cave

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:19 pm 

More on-a-whim, budget-priced CD buys from a supermarket chain store (a variety of Universal-distributed titles to choose from there).

Among the Living does remove a pole from its typically stern-faced genre's arsehole. (I know about other bands doing that around their time: Sacred Reich, Wehrmacht, Sucidal Tendencies...) Major kudos to them for Indians, and you can keep Dances with Wolves.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:40 pm 

Lovely haul. I'm a gigantic Slayer mark as you all know in here so I won't need to extrapolate any further.

I'm not too much into Anthrax. I prefer Scott Ian's other projects such as S.O.D. But I think it's a nice pick up still.

Oh and I'm a massive, massive Cure fan so you get a nod from me here. Fat Bob is the man! In college I was completely obssessed by The Cure and as a result I own copy of pretty much everything they've done. This band had completely held my mind captive... with it's seductive hypnotic music, sugary hooks and doomy soundscapes of despair, suicidal sense of powerless-ness and suffocating isolation. I could talk to you for several hous about Fat Bob, which eras of the band I prefer etc. Great artist which I still dig.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:48 pm 

https://apolloscooters.co/products/apollo-explore

Bought my first e scooter in July. Three actually.. One for me, the Mrs., and my brother.

The miles I rode over the weeks told me what I wanted in my next one.

Eight weeks later here I am.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:04 am 

Another day, same store. It seems not only I keep buying these, as the variety... varies depending of a day.

Cool story how Blackmore came up with the riff of Stargazer when learning to play cello, thus composing a simpler piece than he would if working exclusively with guitar. Apparently a song which budding rock guitar players learn with ease and like playing casually (I wouldn't know). Their Love Like a Man, kind of. It's been hugely influential, too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl0FomtG7S8

...enough said.

FinalBaton wrote:
Oh and I'm a massive, massive Cure fan so you get a nod from me here. Fat Bob is the man! In college I was completely obssessed by The Cure and as a result I own copy of pretty much everything they've done. This band had completely held my mind captive... with it's seductive hypnotic music, sugary hooks and doomy soundscapes of despair, suicidal sense of powerless-ness and suffocating isolation. I could talk to you for several hous about Fat Bob, which eras of the band I prefer etc. Great artist which I still dig.

So, I've plugged in another thread once (when praising Ross Robinson the producer), but I hereby replug - you just might like My Dreams Dictate My Reality album by SoKo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8cFuQSrQCU

...that keeps giving me Disintegration-like exaltations. Word is, she wanted it to be produced by Robert Smith, trying to contact him via Ross Robinson, who eventually produced the album himself. My only problem with it is that I've yet to find a CD featuring the Fantastic Planet bonus track. Just won't be the same without it.

P.S. This deserves to be plugged as well, considering the context.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:01 pm 

Hell yeah! Rainbow ''Rising'', what a monstrous album. excellent pickup

I'll check these links out bud

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:24 pm 

Mischief Maker wrote:

How you finding this? I've gotten one of the 8bitdo Switch sticks on pre-order, but I've noticed that this is also PS4 compatible, so may change the order.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:12 pm 

I bought a Brook PS4/PS3-to-PS2 converter, and I'm wondering if this would allow me to use this stick on a PS2?

I mean I could get a PS2 stick instead, but this one would offer more option (PS4, PS3, Switch and PC)

EDIT : Hmmmm, there's a compatibility list on the Brook product page and that stick is not on there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:44 pm 

Marc wrote:
How you finding this? I've gotten one of the 8bitdo Switch sticks on pre-order, but I've noticed that this is also PS4 compatible, so may change the order.

I replaced the ball top with a bat-top, and rewired the button configuration to one more my liking, but for the most part I love it.

Note that for some consoles you need to actually plug a controller into the back of the stick to run, but I'm just using this for PC so I can't attest.

The one thing that's kinda an issue but not really is how super-sensitive the button inputs are compared to the X-Arcade. I've dropped a few bombs unintentionally by brushing against the button. But that could easily be a positive in other circumstances.

Hope that helps!

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:28 pm 

Wired LAN adapter for the Switch which actually lets me play Splatoon 2 online without getting communication errors, and the Magic-S Pro, primarily acquired for using my HRAP EX-SE on the Switch but lets you use a lot of stuff on a lot of stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:18 pm 

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
More on-a-whim, budget-priced CD buys from a supermarket chain store (a variety of Universal-distributed titles to choose from there).

I really find the early Slayer album covers to be very well done. I have the first three myself but always kind of resisted buying any other. I think I grew up around too much thrash metal in a way and kind of heard enough. It's still good though.

As a rule I like slower but very heavy music.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:49 am 

Managed to find a frame for my Shikigami poster, but the dimensions still aren't quite right...

What an oddly shaped poster. Maybe I need a custom frame...

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10834 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 358, 359, 360, 361, 362  Next