shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:07 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 348, 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355  Next
 Post subject: Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:42 pm 

kitten wrote:
ty for the compliments on my shelves, y'all. i put a hell of a lot of effort into organizing those and making them filled bit-by-bit with stuff i love, rather than when you usually see a big collection and it's just a filled checklist of every game on this or that system with whatever cheap merch can fill space (funko pops, sealed amiibos, etc.).

cj iwakura wrote:
I keep my stuff shelved and organized, but I wish I had enough space and shelves to line it up all fancy with figurines on display in between.

whoa, you've got a lain doll! i've got a lain statuette up in the living room -

there's also a huge big o with dorothy and roger as well as a renamon & ruki fig. i'm only a fledgling ABe fan, but i'm a big fan of chiaki konaka, he's probably my favorite writer (lain/big o/digimon tamers/texhnolyze/devilman lady/etc.). did you know he actually designed the rarer lain doll, himself? guy is (or at least was) a really big doll collector. used to have a website, though it's long since become lost in a corner of the internet archive. lain doll right here.

I had no idea he wrote Devil Lady, that piques my interest.

And I have three Lain dolls. :wink: The one seen, the DJ, and the teddy bear. I believe they're super rare now.

I am super jelly of that Nocturne OST duo. On my list for my return to Japan...

That statue is super cool, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:34 pm 

cj iwakura wrote:

it's great. one of his better works, imho. production budget is fairly low but he does a good job with it. a friend of mine has been watching a lot of his live action stuff like the ultraman series he worked on and she says it's pretty good, too. i'd love to watch alice6, which he did with his brother and considers one of his better works, but it's very hard to find.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:14 am 

kitten wrote:
cj iwakura wrote:

it's great. one of his better works, imho. production budget is fairly low but he does a good job with it. a friend of mine has been watching a lot of his live action stuff like the ultraman series he worked on and she says it's pretty good, too. i'd love to watch alice6, which he did with his brother and considers one of his better works, but it's very hard to find.

It sucks when that happens. To-y is another one that is great but tough to find.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:25 am 

My Mega Drive Mini just came in and I'm having the hardest time deciding whether I want to play small, medium, or large!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:53 pm 

Sealed and open for everything in there twice. Also got open copies of Xenosaga that went straight on my shelf and are not pictured. Everything but the open DQ games are available.

The DS consoles are NEW/SEALED.

But best of all and certainly not available

Last edited by Steamflogger Boss on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:38 pm 

why the lites? you know, i think i've always preferred the original DS (despite its kind of cheap, plasticy feel to the shell) to every other DS/3DS incarnation because it's more comfortable to hold and the ancillary buttons (like power button, L/R, and the volume slider) are so easy to access. also its dpad is actually good and the lite's is some sort of unforgivable tragedy. i mostly play on a new 3ds xl these days because of the Huge Screen and eye-searing brightness levels, but god damn the d-pad is still not great and it's positioned in such a way that hurts my hand and makes my index finger straaaaain to reach alllllll the way up to that dang L button. it hurts ; __ ;

(also dang you've been getting a lot lately! might wanna slow down to play it all :shock: )

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:49 pm 

Most of this is being sold. I mentioned it in post but it would be pretty easy to miss. I like the dsi personally. The LD, open DQ and unpictured open Xenosaga games are keepers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:51 am 

Get rid of Lunar DS before it's too late.
(Says the guy who owns a copy with the preorder receipt calling it 'Lunar Genesis'.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:03 pm 

Stocked up on some Switch games.
I love the console's lineup and since I'm travelling for business almost every week, it's the perfect system for me. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:45 pm 

Oh nice, I didn't know Cave Story and La-Mulana got Switch releases. Still catching up on the last half-decade or so, haha. I like the Arumana no Kiseki-esque sleeve art on the latter!

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:39 pm 

:D

Last edited by Steamflogger Boss on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:33 pm 

BIL wrote:
Oh nice, I didn't know Cave Story and La-Mulana got Switch releases. Still catching up on the last half-decade or so, haha. I like the Arumana no Kiseki-esque sleeve art on the latter!

Actually, it's La Mulana 2. The first isn't out on Switch, as far as I'm aware, although it did get a PSV physical release with a similarly Arumana No Kiseki styled cover. :)

By the way, I have a question you can probably answer: The Kunio Collection features ports of US NES Double Dragon I-III as an added bonus. Any differences between these and the Japanese Famicom releases?

@Steamflogger Boss

Nice gets! But you really gotta reduce the size on these images man. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:42 pm 

CIT wrote:
Actually, it's La Mulana 2. The first isn't out on Switch, as far as I'm aware, although it did get a PSV physical release with a similarly Arumana No Kiseki styled cover. :)

Oh blimey, yeah, totally missed the numeral! :o Good to know about the PSV one, thanks!

Quote:
By the way, I have a question you can probably answer: The Kunio Collection features ports of US NES Double Dragon I-III as an added bonus. Any differences between these and the Japanese Famicom releases?

Double Dragon II is the biggie here - its FC version is the definitive, I'd say. TLDR: profoundly meaner hardest difficulty setting, which not only fires up the combat but also evens out the Knee-dominated moveset. And its "Normal" is pretty much the NES's max difficulty, so you effectively get both regions on one cart! The NES one's still a very enjoyable brawler, but as a huge fan of Technos's 8bit years I'd never be without the FC revision.

AFAIK, DD1 is more or less identical across US/JP, crash bugs and all (foot of that post), while DD3 is slightly harder on NES, though nowhere to the transformative extent of DD2FC. You fight a couple more enemies per wave, and they have a bit more HP. The FC game's a decent little challenge as it is, so I've never been tempted to double up. A tiny detail I enjoy on the FC is, the ending will reflect whether any of your characters have died. Nice bit of recognition there. :smile:

Quote:
@Steamflogger Boss

Nice gets! But you really gotta reduce the size on these images man. ;)

Imgur Protip: stick an "s" "m" "l" or "h" (small/medium/large/huge) at the very end of the filename to auto-resize as a thumbnail. ^_~ I like to include the full res as a clickable URL, like so:

Spoiler: show

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 pm 

CIT wrote:

The first game is coming to Switch too. There is double pack coming to the west in early 2020. AFAIK, the JP version of La Mulana 2 doesn't have English text.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:58 pm 

Thanks BIL.

Fixed everything on this page.

Last edited by Steamflogger Boss on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:18 pm 

@BIL

Thanks for the DD heads up! A bit odd they only included the overseas versions in the collection. I actually just scored a FC DDII for 10€. A bit beat up, but you can’t argue with the price. Should arrive in a fee days.

I hear the MD port is pants, but what’s your take on the PCE version?

@BrianC

Great news, thanks!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:04 pm 

I've not played the PCE one in enough depth, or recently enough, to really say - FWIW, from my short tryouts ages back (2014), I recall the combat seeming very decent, especially the rejigged knee, but feeling that the stage design lacked the FC's treacherous economy. I remember Mission 3's chopper battle being particularly diluted next to the murderous intensity of the FC killbox.

Also, despite the cutscenes using the same rad Hokuto no Ken style as the Famicom's box and manual, the in-game sprites are kinda fugly. Billy looks unnervingly like Chris Chan's internet-infamous self-insert comic character. :lol: It's a superficial detail, of course, but the charmingly stylised agony accompanying a sound Technos thrashing is a genuine part of their appeal.

I won't say too much more though, it's been way too long. I'm actually getting back into DDII's various incarnations atm, planning to pick up the ACA version for next weekend. Might have to give the PCE one a second look! If I recall right, KID handled the conversion, which would explain the snappy mechanics at least. I wish they'd done the MD's arcade conversion too - it really does seem god-awful. Less galling now with ACA, fortunately.

(incidentally, I've been doing a little light research, and I've heard Hamster's main contractor for ACA is Gotch - who consist of founding members of Rutubo Games, responsible for the superb 32X and Saturn ports of Space Harrier, After Burner II and OutRun, the latter being SS only, ofc. would explain the surprisingly high standard of this line. only mentioning as it used to bum the hell out of me that MD Double Dragon I and II got screwed up!)

Have you played Double Dragon Advance, btw? Arguably the ultimate Technos brawler. It's far more than a remake of the arcade game - it cribs mechanics from the entire Technos canon, from the Kunios and Combatribes as well as the arcade and home DD sequels. Plays smooth as all hell, just the Survival Mode would be compelling stuff. It's slightly dinted by the GBA format's small screen and limited buttons, but both are easily worked around, the former with a GBA Player and the latter with a bit of spacing technique. The one Technos game I'd keep if forced to choose.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:43 pm 

BIL wrote:
Have you played Double Dragon Advance, btw? Arguably the ultimate Technos brawler. It's far more than a remake of the arcade game - it cribs mechanics from the entire Technos canon, from the Kunios and Combatribes as well as the arcade and home DD sequels. Plays smooth as all hell, just the Survival Mode would be compelling stuff. It's slightly dinted by the GBA format's small screen and limited buttons, but both are easily worked around, the former with a GBA Player and the latter with a bit of spacing technique. The one Technos game I'd keep if forced to choose.

Yep, I definitely love me some GBA DD too. Love how the game increases smoothness and agility of play without sacrificing any of the raw brutality of the original. Was lucky enough to actually pick that one up shortly after release, as now you gotta pay the proverbial arm, leg and kidney for it. Even went in on a limb, because I had always thought the series sucked. Good thing I listened to a friend's advice. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:33 am 

I regret that my PCE hauls aren't anywhere near as awesome as Steamflogger's, but I'll just choose to blame it on the fact that I already got the majority of the PCE games I'd ever want like 15+ years ago.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:13 pm 

That was a much better time to buy at least. Nice games. Marchen Maze is fun.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:41 am 

Bought a Cab!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:26 am 

Sumez wrote:
I regret that my PCE hauls aren't anywhere near as awesome as Steamflogger's, but I'll just choose to blame it on the fact that I already got the majority of the PCE games I'd ever want like 15+ years ago.

*looks mid-left on your pic*

oh hell yea!!!

*looks mid-right*

oh hell no!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:22 am 

My boy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:55 am 

kitten wrote:
*looks mid-right*

oh hell no!!!

Lol. Looking forward to that now.

Is it me, or does Marchen Maze on PCE look a it plays a lot better than the arcade version?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:47 pm 

Been putting this off until I remembered the PS TV exists and realized it can be acquired for a reasonable price :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:51 pm 

drauch wrote:

My boy.

Fuck yeah Image

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:35 pm 

Sumez wrote:
Lol. Looking forward to that now.

Is it me, or does Marchen Maze on PCE look a it plays a lot better than the arcade version?

i don't know if you saw, but i recently played cross wiber to a nomiss and drove myself nuts.

i really wish i knew if marchen maze pce plays better, i love that game! i forget if i've seen any substantial direct comparison, though. or even any insubstantial ones...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:38 pm 

JBueno MD wrote:
Bought a Cab!

[img]
https://i.imgur.com/ilj3yf8.jpg?1[/img]

Congrats! Your first? Enjoy it :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:44 pm 

Nice Neo Cab!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:33 pm 

Sumez wrote:

I see "Bat-Man" (my nickname for it) among the games. Not a bad haul. I just went the Everdrive route to play JP games, though I still plan to get a JP Duo R.

Online Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 348, 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355  Next