Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BrianC

Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

Post by BrianC »

I'm on the fence of getting the Saturn VF TBH. I heard it's a shoddy port, but still not bad playability wise. I do have the remix version, which I like quite a bit. I may get a 32x eventually, but with only a handful of worthy games and the awkward setup, I'm on the fence of that too. Odd how remix got an AC version, which I remember playing. PC version of remix is nice too, though it was a pain to get working.

This just arrived:

Makaimura games for PS1!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Some animu displayed on my recently acquired PVM-2950. Just found my PS3 and hooked it up via component to mess around

Stuff from Crunchyroll app :

And from DVD :

-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Gaht damn that looks crisp my dude.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Thanks. It's hyper clean and tight picture, and is tons of fun to mess with.

As far as 480i go this is really a beautiful picture, one of the best I've seen. I even had a thought for you at some point as I thought : ''LD would probably look at its very best on this""

Really fun to watch anime DVDs and BD on this great crt. And streaming was a nice surprise, it looked ace.

I love this set because it's somewhere between a consumer set and say a medium-tier PVM. it's far from a spec-mnster like a BVM.

The best way I could describe it's picture is : like a high-grade arcade monitor. That's the vibe it gives off.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

For a brief, shining moment I thought Dirty Pair had gone to Crunchyroll...
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

I recently picked up Game Tengoku Paradise - Cruisin Mix - L E - PS4
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

That NTSCJ Omega Boost cover so looks like a music album cover to me. Struck me when I got one myself and, among other PSX and Saturn games purchased around that time, it seemed the least like a video game of them all. Sadly, although I've gathered quite a few 2.1 speakers since then, very little gaming's been done using them yet. That Omega Boost and Raiden Project galore, all RGB CRT and a subwoofer, ramains to be had (no worries, I'm returning as a "serious" gamer, steadily).

My comfort buys photo diary's update coming:

It is lovely.
Spoiler
I just wanted a cost-efficient source of CD music (to share between my numerous cost-efficient speakers), so I don't need to bother my PS3 & TV just to play a CD anymore, opted for German as expectedly the least liable to fail too soon for my liking, whereas it turned out to be quite a bit more than that.

Well, it's the kind of stuff them cost-efficient speakers of mine typically ooze these days. And it's DOPE.

That Faith No More box found in store made me feel like some target demographics. Enough said.

Bottom one is a keepsake from the days whan all-digital recording, mastering & carrier ("DDD") was a thing to boast about on cover. It is also quite respected a recording by "beethovenists" who tend to swear by their vinyl, but alas, most analogue they can get of it is a casette. Upper one is the Winterreise like no other, although not quite the one I thought it was. Quite a complicated story. Anyways, it's one difficult to disassemble, and as a whole, it's a bit much to take all at once, but bear with it; I believe it was originally a part of some multimedial performance, released on a disc here just to not waste opportunity.

The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I just got myself an item from the Japan Victor Company, or JVC if you will. No, it's not an X'eye, and no, it's not a Saturn console :D

It's a vintage japanese direct drive turntable, that I imported from Japan. model QL-Y44F. It's fantastic, and sounds as good as it looks.

It offers the same function as the Denon DP-47F, a classic automatic table in its own right. But I like the stylings of the Victor a bit better. I think it performs a hair better too.

Won a YAJ auction an got an absolute steal on this, its in great cosmetic condition and works like new. This is my endgame table, I'll never need anything better than this, it's an absolute rock. Excellent performer
Last edited by FinalBaton on Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Me gusta.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

BrianC wrote:
This just arrived:

Makaimura games for PS1!
Is it just me or is brightness level on Dai Makai Mura off on this port? Even after bumping up the brightness on my monitor it just doesn't look right to me. It's just too distracting. I wonder if the Saturn port has the same issue.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait for Jotego to complete his MiSTer core for some arcade perfect DMM.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

scrilla4rella wrote:
BrianC wrote:
This just arrived:

Makaimura games for PS1!
Is it just me or is brightness level on Dai Makai Mura off on this port? Even after bumping up the brightness on my monitor it just doesn't look right to me. It's just too distracting. I wonder if the Saturn port has the same issue.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait for Jotego to complete his MiSTer core for some arcade perfect DMM.
Yep it is. way too fucking dark
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The brightness is a known issue on PS1 Dai, but it also maintains the aspect ratio of the original without the terrible filter of the PS2 port.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Oh yeah, the PS2 port has that bad filter, I forgot about that. So I guess the saturn port looks a lot better, no wonder it's so expensive.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

FinalBaton wrote:Some animu displayed on my recently acquired PVM-2950. Just found my PS3 and hooked it up via component to mess around
How are you converting the component signal to RGB for this monitor? Have you adjusted the geometry and so on by yourself?

I have the same one. I used to have three of them but hooked up another forum member for 20 USD back in the day. It's a great set.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

scrilla4rella wrote:How are you converting the component signal to RGB for this monitor? Have you adjusted the geometry and so on by yourself?

I have the same one. I used to have three of them but hooked up another forum member for 20 USD back in the day. It's a great set.
No need to convert! The 2950 accepts component.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

FinalBaton wrote:
scrilla4rella wrote:How are you converting the component signal to RGB for this monitor? Have you adjusted the geometry and so on by yourself?

No need to convert! The 2950 accepts component.
Edit: Ok, maybe I'm confusing the 2950 with the 2930 (which is what I think I have). Nevermind. sorry, carry on
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

scrilla4rella wrote:Oh yeah, the PS2 port has that bad filter, I forgot about that. So I guess the saturn port looks a lot better, no wonder it's so expensive.
The Saturn port doesn't have the brightness issue, but has a slightly squished aspect ratio and more slowdown, from what I read in a post in this forum. The graphics of the PS1 version are too dark, but are excellent otherwise. It's your opinion, but I didn't post a picture of the game just to have people complain about it.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

The brightness thing on Dai is actually the only blemish on an otherwise superb collection. Be stoked with your pickup Brian. I own that collection on PS1 retail disc too and it rocks.

On my presentation/pro crt monitors I"ve always been able to compensate for it while keeping good black level and everything looking good.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

BrianC wrote:The Saturn port doesn't have the brightness issue, but has a slightly squished aspect ratio and more slowdown, from what I read in a post in this forum.
Yeah, also the SS ver loads after every stage. The PS1, just once after starting a credit. Generally speaking, the CG 1-4* discs are slightly better on PS1, mostly owing to the machine's more accurate resolution. A similar story with the Konami Deluxe Packs, though as with Dai's dark PS1 backgrounds, there are exceptions here and there (Gokujou Parodius is frequently said to run smoother on Saturn).

*No idea about CG5 (SFII/CE/HF), hence my excluding it. I have its NTSCU PS1 release and the load times pissed me right off. Went straight back to Tekken 3 and VF2 BITD (to restore console non-partisanship :wink:).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The PS1 version of Daimakaimura is definitely as good as you can get in terms of home ports.
I think the dark backgrounds can mostly be countered with your TV settings to at least recover some of it. It didn't bother me when I was playing it.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

This Young Gods album, well, it's good.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

yesterday's album get.

-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

MASTER OF REALITY, cornerstone vinyl Image
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:Master of Reality, cornerstone vinyl Image
Indeed, doom metal majesty that album is.

so sick it's hard to articulate in words. I'd sell my soul for having come up with just one of those Iommi riffs :cry: the sheer sleezyness of them is what catpults them to the cosmos, That in addition to their prime time ''420 blaze it HARD'' vibes
Truly a monolithic monster of a record, the badassery of which we can't even begin to do justice with words. A montain flattening opus by the four boys from Birmingham

I'm really happy to have found a cheap copy from a local store that's doing deliveries in these times of plague. I have a small collection of 200 vinyls (despite collecting since I'm 17 y/o) and wouldn't have it any other way : I love having a compact, hyper-curated library on wax, which I build up slowly. And while I've had Paranoid for a while, I've been really itching to get more Sabbath records in the format. Always kept my Sauron-eye open for a super-cheap copy and it kinda never happened, until now.

Both Sabbath records have well-won sleeves, but the records are fine, and so they were cheap as chips. Interesting fact is that this Master of Reality copy is of the first U.S. pressing, and that one sports some oddities such as the short intros being labelled as separate songs. Pretty cool artefact.

Spinning Vol. 4 plenty today and I'm so digging it, outside of, of course, 2-3 ho-hum tracks, including one I straight up loathe. But the rest is such wonderful psychedelia. and still fucking rips nonetheless
Last edited by FinalBaton on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Vol.4 is one of those unfortunately fluffy LPs I prefer to trim down into a perfect EP. :mrgreen: An EP HEWN FROM STONE :cool: The good stuff is legendary... Iommi sounds like an angle grinder at times (SUPERNAUT), a blast furnace at others (UNDER THE SUN), the mournful intonations of a robot space god still others (WHEELS OF CONFUSION). Even on the "real" tracks you can tell they were chucking the finest Colombian snowballs at each other in the studio, record has an oddly wired sludge voltage. :lol:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

No doubt :lol: part of me wishes execs hadn't stepped in to prevent the band from naming the album itself ''Snowblind''. Although that cover we got instead is pretty iconic for sure.

I like that bit they snuck in inside the gatefold sleeve :

Yeahhhh, fuck you execs :D

Oh and yes, as an EP this would be DIAMOND solid. The peaks are so mind-meltingly high on this one
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

I was gonna ask if it included the shoutout to the venerable COKE-cola LTD :mrgreen: Growing up I had the most off-brand, Wal-mart CD pressing of Vol.4 imaginable, the insert was just a single page with the cover on front and liner notes on the back, and even that had it. The capitalisation always made me laugh, like they really wanted you to notice and have a good think about it. :lol: "Waaait a minute! I don't think they mean the popular soft drink! I think these 1970s rock stars might have been ON THE CHARLIE!"

Incidental to liner notes and Maiden, isn't The Number of The Beast the one with a shout-out to "Earthdogs and Hellrats?" It's either NOTB, Piece or Powerslave... but either way, as a kid I always thought "Whoa! DEEPEST BAND LORE..." Only to later read Bruce remark that nobody knew what the fuck any of that stuff meant, Rod Smallwood was just flinging gibberish at the wall hoping to sound DOWN W/ THE KIDZ - and I guess it worked! Image
Last edited by BIL on Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I'll check right nao. I have a 1st pressing of Powerslave here and it has lots of artworks and liner notes and trinkets, shit's pretty substantial. while NOTB copy is brand new and pretty spartan in the packaging

EDIT : yep, it's on the NOTB inner sleeve :lol: awww, disapointed it's not lore, but rather juste EDGE

Rod Smallwood, the man with the most unfortunate name in HISTORY. Almost sounds like a name you'd come up with for your prose on here :lol:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

FinalBaton wrote:Rod Smallwood, the man with the most unfortunate name in HISTORY. Almost sounds like a name you'd come up with for your prose on here :lol:
Yeah he's got one hell of a moniker, I always wondered if it was a stage name tbh, or if it was some kind of family tradition bestowed on the first-born son. :lol:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

:lol:

----------------------------

Or maybe I should have said : ''a name that you'd whip out...'' Image

Ok, I'll see myself out...
-FM Synth & Black Metal-