Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Obiwanshinobi

Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

BIL wrote:Hi no Tori: Gaou no Bouken ~ Houou Hen, as they say. Licensed from the famous Tezuka manga.
It has to be said, the 1980 animated Space Firebird feature film (uncut!) watched recently caught me off guard to say the least. Easily the most accomplished "one shot" adaptation of any manga series I've seen. Long enough to tell all of the story that was needed to be told for the sake of not leaving me feel short-changed, and just EVERYTHING the prepubescent me of yore could possibly demand of it was there. Well, I could take or leave their sideburns and pew-pew pistols; that's the epoque for ya (think Valerian).
Then again, I heard and read MUCH less favourable responses from others, so maybe if you were nothing like me as a kid, its charms will be lost on you. Just watch the uncut version to make sure.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

Always liked what I'd heard of that one, thanks for the recommendation! Will give it a shot before summer is out. Sideburns and rayguns are A-OK in my house. Image

I've long had an oblique interest in the manga, seems like my kind of melancholic space fantasy thing. By the same token though, I always end up putting it off for later, rainier days!

I like to think someone, somewhere used that bitterly remorseful Famicom boxart for a Mario bootleg. :mrgreen:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Forgot to post this 3 weeks ago :

Hell yeah, tabarnak!!!

Last edited by FinalBaton on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Even the logo looks like an instrument of killing technology. Image Resembles something that'd show up to ruin your day late in Recca. Image
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Been picking up some OSTs, particularly filling in some Panzer gaps.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

ryu

Post by ryu »

blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

ryu wrote:Image
Sweet! How is that thing? I heard it's best to not use it in sleep mode, though I heard a fix is being worked on. I also bought the Megaman X collection, though I went with the US version (which still has the Rockman versions). I was surprised to find out, via the in game credits, that the collection was apparently done by Capcom Japan with some help from M2.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Sweet! How is that thing? I heard it's best to not use it in sleep mode, though I heard a fix is being worked on.
Correct, it drains the battery when in sleep mode. Can just turn the thing off or remove the joy-on to circumvent the issue. Last time I checked Hori's website stated that they're working on a solution.
It's a good controller as far as I can tell. Haven't had any issues with it.
the collection was apparently done by Capcom Japan with some help from M2.
That surprised me too. My guess was these were done by the people who did the classic collections.
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

How do you even turn off the Switch without putting it into Sleep mode?! It's the only option I get.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Sumez wrote:How do you even turn off the Switch without putting it into Sleep mode?! It's the only option I get.
take it out of the dock to bring it into handheld mode, then press the power button (top left) and hold it until a modal appears. then follow the menu: "power options" -> "turn power off"

works only in handheld mode. inside of a dock that's getting electricity it also turns back on automatically
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Ah, mine is in its dock almost constantly.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Dammit Rando, look what you made me do!! :twisted: (Thank you! Enjoying this much better the second time around.)

M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

From left to right and top to bottom :
-The Radirgy DGJL! OST
-Tha Goose And Gridiron, the bonus soundtrack CD that was bundled with the physical JP Karous BoR release
-The Illvelo superplay DVD that was bundled with first-print versions of Illvelo Wii
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Bought a ton of crap lately but the Light Gun for the Dreamcast has to be one of the most enjoyable item I've received so far.

Been playing light gun games with my son and daughter and boy oh boy does it bring me back to when I use to play Virtual Cop 2 at the arcades.

Both my son and daughter are loving these light gun games.

My son ended up asking me if these were the games I use to play and wondered how come they don't make these kinds of games no more. You can tell he was really getting into these games.

hmm can't seem to fix the size issue
Last edited by Shelcoof on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Muh face! :shock:
Shelcoof wrote:hmm can't seem to fix the size issue
Stick an "s" "m" "l" or "h" on the end of Imgur URLs for small, medium, large and huge thumbnails respectively. I like to get really highfalootin' and URL link the original for those who want it. :wink:
Spoiler
(^ click for full res)
My son ended up asking me if these were the games I use to play and wondered how come they don't make these kinds of games no more. You can tell he was really getting into these games.
Aww. :mrgreen:
Last edited by BIL on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

lol thanks

Fixed...

I'd love to pick up another light gun for the Dreamcast but wonders if I should try getting into PS2 light gun games instead.

Maybe get the move and Time Crisis for the PS3?
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

edit

https://i.imgur.com/rt4IKMd.jpg

Image kinda breaks the forum, so I'll just do a link lol.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Stick an "h" on it. :wink: COOKIN UP DAT H
Spoiler
High and Low / Tengoku to Jigoku, good pick on the police procedural front! :O Mifune playing a shoe magnate with the same steely intensity as his samurai, opposite the always magnetic Nakadai. Have you seen Stray Dog ? Another good one in that vein from Kurosawa, bit more of an outright thriller.
Last edited by BIL on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Got three great vinyl LPs:
Legacy (The Very Best Of David Bowie);
Shaved Fish by John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band;
Equinoxe by Jean-Michel Jarre.
My search for LPs of Mike Oldfield's Crises and ELO's Time continues. :)
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Steamflogger Boss

BIL wrote:Stick an "h" on it. :wink: COOKIN UP DAT H

High and Low / Tengoku to Jigoku, good pick on the police procedural front! :O Mifune playing a shoe magnate with the same steely intensity as his samurai, opposite the always magnetic Nakadai. Have you seen Stray Dog ? Another good one in that vein from Kurosawa, bit more of an outright thriller.
Ah thanks.

Stray Dog is one I intend to pick up in the future.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
BIL wrote:Stick an "h" on it. :wink: COOKIN UP DAT H

Ah thanks.

Stray Dog is one I intend to pick up in the future.
I've got to see High And Low in a good format. Library has the original (4:3 widescreen) release of High and Low. All the rest are fantastic pickups!
Steamflogger Boss

Topeka public library has the BD.
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

^_ often tempted by this but just have to make due with the Saturn version. M2 really needs to port this for their next 'M2 Shot Triggers' entry
cvaniafan

Post by cvaniafan »

scrilla4rella wrote:^_ often tempted by this but just have to make due with the Saturn version. M2 really needs to port this for their next 'M2 Shot Triggers' entry

After I tried both SS and PS1 versions, I definitely sticked with the PS1 version especially for its TATE mode... The SS version has ugly pixelated explosions, a couple of missing sounds, and bad slowdown.
Despite you have to choose your ship type in the options and same ship in 2P mode, the TATE mode in PS1 is graphically quite closer to the arcade, and the sound is clearer than in SS.
Also I love the manual slowdown when pressing L1 in the PS1 version, great for training. However, finding a brand new copy of the PS1 version was quite a challenge.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Topeka public library has the BD.
I used to think that our library was good, but now I know that's some shit right there. We're lucky to have any BD releases of anything in the collection, only if it is a combo pack. At least they had Serial Experiments Lain and that very much made me go out and buy it. Like heck, they got Twin Peaks: The Return only on Dvd. Ugg, Why is such a crummy town got to have a better collection in their library?
Steamflogger Boss

Yeah that library is honestly amazing. There have to be some big money donors. I quit bothering with the Lawrence library years ago. The shorter checkout times weren't helping either as I can't make it back to Lawrence as much as I'd like these days.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Yeah that library is honestly amazing. There have to be some big money donors. I quit bothering with the Lawrence library years ago. The shorter checkout times weren't helping either as I can't make it back to Lawrence as much as I'd like these days.
Everything unless a new add to the collection is 2 weeks now. Certainly helps! Still they did replace Seven Samurai with the later release on dvd, and are a lot better at sorting stuff out, but still, makes me kinda wish I lived in Topeka. There are some odd things in the collection like A Taxing Woman on a region free Japanese dvd. Darn thing has voiceover for each menu item in Japanese even. lol
kitten

Post by kitten »

BIL wrote:Hi no Tori: Gaou no Bouken ~ Houou Hen, as they say. Licensed from the famous Tezuka manga. Easy but charmingly tactile platformer with a unique block-building hook. Wanted a nice copy for a while, one of those FC games that seems relatively cheap yet not especially common in good nick. 99% sure it's a sound game so went for it, will commence investigation! Image
pretty sure it's based specifically off of the houou hen OVA released just prior, which is quite good (and available in full on youtube in decent quality!) and a favorite of mine. that ova rarely tends to get talked about despite its quality, for some reason. i highly recommend giving it a shot - it makes how much the game abstracts the story really amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjNM53TYcNU

i love this song from it a great deal

i should maybe scrounge up some pics of stuff i got from the last few months, but i'm ashamed of being too depressed to play it like it deserves :B
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~