Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

Post by BIL »

kitten wrote:pretty sure it's based specifically off of the houou hen OVA released just prior, which is quite good (and available in full on youtube in decent quality!) and a favorite of mine. that ova rarely tends to get talked about despite its quality, for some reason.
Nice, thanks! :o
i should maybe scrounge up some pics of stuff i got from the last few months, but i'm ashamed of being too depressed to play it like it deserves :B
I wouldn't worry about it. I've had stuff sit unplayed for years due to demoralising flareups of IRL Bullshit™. Main thing is it's there for later. Nailed Holy Diver like three years after getting a copy. Image (this goes for FC Hino Tori, actually... :lol:)
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

kitten wrote:pretty sure it's based specifically off of the houou hen OVA released just prior, which is quite good (and available in full on youtube in decent quality!) and a favorite of mine. that ova rarely tends to get talked about despite its quality, for some reason. i highly recommend giving it a shot - it makes how much the game abstracts the story really amusing.
Thanks for the link, Tezuka stuff is always good, and Phoenix stories are pretty great.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

kitten wrote:i should maybe scrounge up some pics of stuff i got from the last few months, but i'm ashamed of being too depressed to play it like it deserves :B
no worries kitten 8) post those pics anyway, even if you aren't about to play those games. there are no such expectations

we don't have to be playing hardcore all the time. I personally have stretches when I play alot, and stretches when I barely play(like right now). I find that the stretches when I play a lot, really drain me and for that reason I cannot sustain them year-round

Yet I still hang around here and discuss with the nice folks, about music, movies, and the games that I've already played. and learn about new games

so don't sweat it 8)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

lilmanjs wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Yeah that library is honestly amazing. There have to be some big money donors. I quit bothering with the Lawrence library years ago. The shorter checkout times weren't helping either as I can't make it back to Lawrence as much as I'd like these days.
Everything unless a new add to the collection is 2 weeks now. Certainly helps! Still they did replace Seven Samurai with the later release on dvd, and are a lot better at sorting stuff out, but still, makes me kinda wish I lived in Topeka. There are some odd things in the collection like A Taxing Woman on a region free Japanese dvd. Darn thing has voiceover for each menu item in Japanese even. lol
The Seven Samurai BD is awesome. One of my favorites even among the Criterion BDs I have.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Valist Leznalt came in. Really purdy package for X68000 collectors.

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

scrilla4rella wrote:Dammit Rando, look what you made me do!! :twisted: (Thank you! Enjoying this much better the second time around.)

I'm still trying to work my way thru Invisibles. I dunno about this one. I know it's Grant...but holy crap, it's a bit too far out. Any point where it starts to....I dunno...get better?
I'm at the part where they're having a seance, and some guy is cutting off fingers.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I haven't read much of Grant's works. I remember reading Batman: Gothic and not being all that impressed by it. Grant comes across as being amusing in interviews though :)
Any recommendations on what to read by Grant?
More Bromances = safer people
NYN

Morrison

Post by NYN »

Creator -owned or industry big'uns?

I once recommended Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery to some dude who is a bit picky 'bout the funnies and he got back to me that he had fun and enjoyed it. It takes one character from GM's D00M PATROL run and puts him in adventures that riff on comic ages and somewhere are hints of a self-biography. It's under the DC logo but not too up there with great expectations like the bat or the big S ("Aaah nuuh, he ruined it!!!"). And it's the first collaboration with Frank Quietly if that gets any blips on the radar.
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Thanks, Ronyn. I'll spend soem time looking into GM's works. Presently I'm ready the first Meta-Baron book.
More Bromances = safer people
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

MintyTheCat wrote:I haven't read much of Grant's works. I remember reading Batman: Gothic and not being all that impressed by it. Grant comes across as being amusing in interviews though :)

Ooooh, that's a tough one. He's like a comics God, but I really think he peaked in the 90s. I really liked Gothic. But Animal Man is really really good (after the first arc, he goes experimental, and the book gets a lot better). Flex Mentallo is my favorite story by him, but it is absolutely nuts. But it works.
Doom Patrol....oh my...I have read all of that, and sometimes I was into it, sometimes I was like "WTF"? Sometimes it gets so silly. It's an odd one. I'd read it, but not first.
And JLA was freaking awesome, if you like superhero books. I'd read the JLA: Earth 2 standalone book, to see what you think of it.

There's a lot of his 21st century books that get a lot of praise. Take All-Star Superman, for example. I fucking hated that book. His Batman run. Some good, some awful. None great. WE3...good, overrated. I can't remember The Filth good enough to say anything about it.
New X-Men is good, but a mixed bag, and not as solid as his stuff like JLA, or most of his 90s work.
Seven Soldiers made my friend lose interest in comics. No joke. I thought it was "OK".

He's done some great work though. And he had a good decade of high quality entertainment. That's more than most.

If I had to rank his best stuff:
Flex Mentallo
Animal Man
JLA (Earth 2 is probably the best story)
Doom Patrol (very mixed feelings on this one though. but it's good. but some may hate it.)

Still haven't figured out what to think about Invisibles. I'll forgive the parts I don't like, if it gets better. DOES IT? :lol:
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

evil_ash_xero wrote: I'm still trying to work my way thru Invisibles. I dunno about this one. I know it's Grant...but holy crap, it's a bit too far out. Any point where it starts to....I dunno...get better?
I'm at the part where they're having a seance, and some guy is cutting off fingers.
I think where you're at is the Arcadia arc. It does get better afterwards IMO. This is close to where I fell off on my first reading. Despite being a big GM fan I was all, 'is this supposed to be good?'

But its really clicked with me on my second reading. Something similar may or may not happen with you but I'd recommend just taking it slow and reading no more that one or two issues a day (they are quite wordy). Think of it like a double IPA, stout, or porter. Delicious but only in moderation.
Last edited by scrilla4rella on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

MintyTheCat wrote:I haven't read much of Grant's works. I remember reading Batman: Gothic and not being all that impressed by it. Grant comes across as being amusing in interviews though :)
I'd recommend All-Star Superman (or maybe his JLA run) if you don't mind DC Superhero stuff.

His Batman is one of my favorites but it does require the reader to be a little more versed in the character's continuity.

His creator-owned works such as WE3, Joe the Barbarian, and Nameless are a bit more accessible IMO.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

A neighbor who's moving out just gave me a big box (moving box size) of pretty much every gaming thing from the 90s you could imagine. I was like "how much do you want for that stuff?" "For the box?" SWEET SIGH OF RELIEF. I tried to insist he take the entire $20, but he gave me $5 change. Just skimming through the top of it, there's a new box of Warhammer Chaos Dwarfs plastic figurines, untouched; a couple very lightly used 2nd edition manuals (the Player's Handbook and Monstrous Manual) and god knows what's in that deck of Magic cards. Just oodles of stuff, very cool. Either 2nd Ed AD&D book is worth double what I paid. There's some obscure stuff too, like a Jyhad deck from Deckmaster; maybe some White Wolf stuff somewhere, some Battletech, and on and on.

I've also been buying some cheap but attractive old silver coins off eBay lately, like Polish 10 zlotych coins from 1932, French 2 francs ("La Semeuse"), and some cheap interesting new coin designs like this. Coin prices for the "traditional" collector coins, especially US issues, are getting insane so I'm going to save my pennies. Literally - who would pay nearly $2000 for a 1959 memorial cent? Somebody.
SuperDeadite wrote:Valist Leznalt came in. Really purdy package for X68000 collectors.

Cool, is this a new release?
Steamflogger Boss

Ed Oscuro wrote:A neighbor who's moving out just gave me a big box (moving box size) of pretty much every gaming thing from the 90s you could imagine. I was like "how much do you want for that stuff?" "For the box?" SWEET SIGH OF RELIEF. I tried to insist he take the entire $20, but he gave me $5 change. Just skimming through the top of it, there's a new box of Warhammer Chaos Dwarfs plastic figurines, untouched; a couple very lightly used 2nd edition manuals (the Player's Handbook and Monstrous Manual) and god knows what's in that deck of Magic cards. Just oodles of stuff, very cool. Either 2nd Ed AD&D book is worth double what I paid. There's some obscure stuff too, like a Jyhad deck from Deckmaster; maybe some White Wolf stuff somewhere, some Battletech, and on and on.
Damn, that's so awesome. If there are any old magazines those would be of interest to me. Mainly Dragon or White Dwarf.
kitten

Post by kitten »

Ed Oscuro wrote:god knows what's in that deck of Magic cards.
do you play mtg? if not, got some pics? one of the quickest ways to ascertain value is see what expansion(s) you're dealing with - not all older ones are worth more (lol if it's nothing but mercadian masques era stuff, god knows a lot of people played then and the cards are mostly pure jank) but stuff with earlier copyright dates on the bottom left of the card will be a quick if not entirely consistent way to determine you may have some serious value.

if you're lacking a copyright date and the cards look turbo old and have a black border you could be sitting on a small fortune. if they're lacking the date and white-bordered there could still be some real value in there.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

2nd edition D&D is what I play 8) Those books are a nice find by themselves I say! great pickup
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Bought a 2018 released Lego Kessel Run Millennium Falcon #75212 set that upon built completed, is a tad bit different compared to the earlier Lego MF #7965 (circa 2011) and Lego MF #75015 (circa 2015) released sets -- it's a bit more sturdier construction-wise but with the using same Technic base frame as usual, a different color scheme to boot (pre-modded version with a "blue & white" color scheme overall) + a cool escape craft for those cool getaways and whatnot secured at the front portion (is detachable from the get-go). Just needs a cool optional LED lighting upgrade and it's good to go for a bit of extra added realism and slick overall visual vibe/appeal. The MSRP is a mere $20 USD over the original MSRP set of the 2015 MF set indeed which was $149.99 USD (not to mention paying towards the Disney/Lucasfilm licensing fees associated with the Star Wars themed Lego sets as usual -- seems to go up every year.) The brick count is upped to a whopping 1,414 pieces this time around for the Kessel Run MF set.

Sticker sheet is a respectable amount for the 2018 released #75212 set (but still requires a steady hand to apply them with no room for error {otherwise, it'll show} -- the tried and true "wet decal" method works wonders in this situation). Most Star Wars Lego fans would like the sticker applied bricks to be professionally printed in place (but then that would make building such a SW Lego set too easy in my book, lending a sense of accomplishment and a job well done once finished/built -- hence the "real reason" why Lego still includes such a sticker sheet with their sets sold at retail.)

I like the cool little touches/embellishments such as a minature coffee maker/dispenser, mugs, and even a bed for mini figurines to rest on. How cool is that?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Ed Oscuro wrote:A neighbor who's moving out just gave me a big box (moving box size) of pretty much every gaming thing from the 90s you could imagine. I was like "how much do you want for that stuff?" "For the box?" SWEET SIGH OF RELIEF. I tried to insist he take the entire $20, but he gave me $5 change. Just skimming through the top of it, there's a new box of Warhammer Chaos Dwarfs plastic figurines, untouched; a couple very lightly used 2nd edition manuals (the Player's Handbook and Monstrous Manual) and god knows what's in that deck of Magic cards. Just oodles of stuff, very cool. Either 2nd Ed AD&D book is worth double what I paid. There's some obscure stuff too, like a Jyhad deck from Deckmaster; maybe some White Wolf stuff somewhere, some Battletech, and on and on.

I've also been buying some cheap but attractive old silver coins off eBay lately, like Polish 10 zlotych coins from 1932, French 2 francs ("La Semeuse"), and some cheap interesting new coin designs like this. Coin prices for the "traditional" collector coins, especially US issues, are getting insane so I'm going to save my pennies. Literally - who would pay nearly $2000 for a 1959 memorial cent? Somebody.
SuperDeadite wrote:Valist Leznalt came in. Really purdy package for X68000 collectors.

Cool, is this a new release?
More of a rerelease. The original version was only sold via Takeru vending machines. This version has been slightly updated to fix a few bugs.
Steamflogger Boss

Good bit of mail today. Most of it was one big package.

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Sick! Classic album, that!

(Has that Condemner album made its way through the US Postal Service's bowels into your hands yet?)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Obscura wrote:Sick! Classic album, that!

(Has that Condemner album made its way through the US Postal Service's bowels into your hands yet?)
Absolute classic 8) What a fun listen, I spinned it a bunch today. Class!

Yep I receive the Condemner album :P both copies made it safe and sound to Québec

"US Postal Service's bowels", hahaha!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Small haul but I'm really excited about playing those. I got : one tasty shmup, two CAPCOM action games REPROGRAMMED BY SEGA, and a gorgeous survival horror title

-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Is that Mercs? Loved that game when I was a kid. Was able to make it to at least the third Boss with one credit.

Mega Drive version was pretty awesome too!

Also my favorite Thunderfoce as well! Have that version on the Gold Pack for the Saturn
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yep it's Mercs :mrgreen:

So stoked to play it and the others! it looks like a damn fine game (waiting for my adaptor to come in so I can play them on my Genesis)

You can bet I'll be ripping the TF ost from hardware and upload it, as I did with a couple other GEN/MD games
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Super solid haul. Image All of those are on my must-have MD list (yes, including Ecco! it's mechanically a little wonky at times, but that's survival horror for you! chest-crushingly intense underwater scrolling survival horror! Image).

MD Senjou no Okami II's Original Mode is one of 16bit's great hidden treasures. So good it makes the arcade perfect port on Capcom Generation 3 (PS1) feel slightly lacking without it.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

https://i.imgur.com/Ka3g2bT.jpg

I forgot how to re-size the image so I just included the link

Saw this while shopping
Had to pick it up

Currently sonic is holding my vita :D

I've always loved Sonic since playing the original on the Genny when I was a kid.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Pretty neat! Knowing myself I'd just keep hitting it and making it fall over and over
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.