Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BrianC

Re: Awesome stuff you've just bought (+pics please)

Post by BrianC »

Finally got around to getting that gun for Lethal Enforcers. I like the Sega Mouse so far, but the Mega Mouse seems to be a bit more responsive, though the latter lacks the ability to use it as a trakball. On default settings, I had to spin that trackball hard to get the marble to move in JP Marble Madness. Virtual On seems to be a nice port and I like how control option E simulates the twin sticks.
it290

Post by it290 »

Don't forget to hook that gun up for Snatcher. Makes the shooting sections way more fun and immersive.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

it290 wrote:Don't forget to hook that gun up for Snatcher. Makes the shooting sections way more fun and immersive.
Thanks. I have a few CD-Rs lying around and I might give it a try.
it290

Post by it290 »

Criterion Godzilla Showa collection: https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/2648- ... -1954-1975

I've been coveting this one for a bit and the price dip on Amazon made me bite. Really lavish and beautiful presentation as you'd expect from Criterion; they went all out for their 1,000th release. Each film has a dedicated piece of original art in the artbook and they'd all make amazing posters. Also, amongst (many) other features, there's an interview with Alex Cox (!) that I am exceptionally curious about.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I am from UK, went to Florida on vacation. I visited Cybertron games in Orlando to view their wares in their retro store and ended up picking up a Green N64 loose with connections and joypad.

The PS2 Capcom stuff was recently acquired via ebay.

The rest was piled for me by my US contact, who sent me the goods to my hotel to circumvent Her Majesty's customs.

The Green N64 is set to be Ultra HDMI'd, although at this stage I don't know the best way to do it. Oldskoolgames in the UK provides the service but the kit can only be obtained from the USA and is out of stock.

I think I saw a thread on here where someone was doing a pre order for the kit. Will look it up.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

it290 wrote:Criterion Godzilla Showa collection: https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/2648- ... -1954-1975

I've been coveting this one for a bit and the price dip on Amazon made me bite. Really lavish and beautiful presentation as you'd expect from Criterion; they went all out for their 1,000th release. Each film has a dedicated piece of original art in the artbook and they'd all make amazing posters. Also, amongst (many) other features, there's an interview with Alex Cox (!) that I am exceptionally curious about.
Been tempted to grab this for $112.50 as well...
drauch

Post by drauch »

15 sick movies on BR for that price. That's a hell of a deal. Kinda mad I pre-ordered it beforehand for 136, then the day I got it it goes on sale. But even then, just overjoyed that it exists, with the initial MSRP price still a good deal. Hope they do more boxsets in the future like this. That Bergman and the Zatoichi one are especially killer deals.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Steamflogger Boss

I have the Zatoichi set and it's really nice. I know I will get this Godzilla set at some point it's just a matter of if I do it right now instead of buying some other stuff. It will be 50% off again at various points in the future.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Boss, did you get the Gundam 0080 BD?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Yeah, that Showa-era Godzilla set is pretty awesome. I actually like the new art they commissioned. I'm going through the 60s films again and damn, they're just so good. I guess that's the classic g-movie fan process. The movies start getting better with the rewatch

On Amazon I returned my copy and re-bought the same thing for the lower price. Not sure if that was worth my time but whatever.
Steamflogger Boss

FinalBaton wrote:Boss, did you get the Gundam 0080 BD?
Not yet.
kitten

Post by kitten »

i bought the new contra and then it arrived scratched (deep enough to catch a fingernail) and with the box warped. i was like "eugghhh," so i thought about sending it back, then played 10 minutes and decided to absolutely send it back. asked for a refund, got told that was fine but explicitly also told "do not send it back." amazing.

~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
BIL

Post by BIL »

:lol:
CIT

Post by CIT »

kitten wrote:i bought the new contra
Why? :lol:
Steamflogger Boss

kitten wrote: but explicitly also told "do not send it back."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCysz_0Hicg
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

kitten wrote:i bought the new contra and then it arrived scratched (deep enough to catch a fingernail) and with the box warped. i was like "eugghhh," so i thought about sending it back, then played 10 minutes and decided to absolutely send it back. asked for a refund, got told that was fine but explicitly also told "do not send it back." amazing.

Lol

How I felt after 2 minute of the demo
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I ordered some Namco stuff, including a couple Guncons. I'll post a picture when the Guncons arrive. The PS1 games (Time Crisis and Point Blank 2) arrived before the Guncon 1's did and I ended up ordering a second one since I'm not sure when the first will arrive (status still says "shipping label created" or something along those lines) and I was planning on ordering a second one anyway. The Negcon arrived and works great. It was also part of the reason I bought RRV (the other reason is that it's dirt cheap).
kitten

Post by kitten »

CIT wrote:
kitten wrote:i bought the new contra
Why? :lol:
i heard nakazato was attached and wanted to give it a fair chance despite it looking like obvious dogshit, got something worse than i bargained for. after playing just a couple of minutes i went to see how much nakazato was actually attached, because i was genuinely in complete disbelief he could have meaningfully contributed to this, and after looking into it i have to very strongly question how much he really put into this game. the game was almost entirely developed and directed by "toylogic," people who were most famously responsible for the "happy wars" f2p game on xbox 360.

nakazato's name is in the credits, but he's just there for two separate instances of "original concept" and then a generic "produce/direct" role completely separate from the developers at the bottom. the director of the game via the studio that actually made it is this clown, who seems to be famous for, uh.... *squints* ...'mission script' on drakengard 2. wow. confidence-inspiring. there's another person credited for "lead game design," who has literally never been credited for another game, ever.

i know nakazato has spoken about his involvement with the game and endorsed it in interviews, but i think assuming he's actually done much for it is probably ridiculous. giving him credit here feels like giving inafune credit in any way for anything about gyakuten saiban/phoenix wright, or giving miyamoto credit for the mountain of games he's producer on.

any time you get information that's not mealy-mouthed about what miyamoto actually contributed to any of those games is usually complaining about his meddling and interference (e.g. when he tried to make splatoon a mario game) - he just shouts at people to make games worse and takes credit for shit he didn't do because retards love to buy into the nintendo propaganda machine telling them that they have a living god working for them. one of my favorite miyamoto lies is that he came up with the idea for pikmin while gardening when nintendo had just bought a studio already ass deep into developing a game and took over. read the bottom of that linked mobygames page for more bullshit about our benevolent genius.

the same was true for inafune for a really long time, until he was really thoroughly debunked following the mighty no. 9 fiasco. inafune quite possibly never really directed a game, though, and miyamoto stopped making them like 30 years ago. nakazato's last time acting as director was more than 15 years ago on shattered soldier, and i think it's fair to say here that he probably didn't really do anything for rogue corps other than collect a paycheck, generate a little hype, and occasionally stop to tell the people making it to make it "more contra," and do things like "i don't know, uh... make the dude do the flippy spin when he jumps. that is true contra." i have to admit, i find it hard to blame the guy for shilling after what konami has done to its employees.

getting down to the mechanics, the game felt just like a shittier dead nation, which was already a butchering of twinstick shooters when that game came out. slow movement while shooting, braindead mountains of swarming enemies, i-frame/quick dodge, loot system, godforsakenly awful & edgy motion comic story, etc. there's a ton of games like this these days and they all get purged from the memory so quickly for being completely uninteresting. that this feels worse than a game i couldn't work up energy to play more than 30 minutes after getting it for free a generation ago i think says something.
~Imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Image | Image
~*~*~*~*~*~* If there's a place that I could be ~ Then I'd be another memory *~*~*~*~*~*~
BIL

Post by BIL »

All respect to Nakatazo, but I just didn't have it in me to follow Rogue Corps. Legacy of War continues to earn its name by wracking me with teenage PTSD, plus I was snowed under with IRL Bullshit™ and word seemed damning, so I quietly ignored it. One day an ad for it popped up between LOLcat videos. If not for the Contra logo appearing before I slammed the "skip" button, I would've assumed it was some kind of gopher-clicking MMO. Won't comment further, as I've not played, but I know what turns me on/off and this slam-dunks the latter category.

Not to sound Westernphobic or anything. I've deliberately avoided footage of Blazing Chrome and Xeno Crisis since purchasing them, not out of any distrust but because I've just not had the HARCORE GAMING 201 time to sit down with either (cracking a few longtime hard-nut arcade nemeses this quarter). For all the learned fear associated with Western action gaming, both had that alluring airtight look, and both have enjoyed praise from people I trust.

James Cameron's endorsement/production of the god-awful new Terminator strikes me as similar to Rogue Corps' main selling point. Or Ridley Scott's directing of the last two Alien duds. Nobody's got a magical Good Game/Film/Etc wand. The past triumphs that made these guys' names involved a hell of a lot more than their passing endorsement. (assuming they were truly integral to begin with... Nakazato has always been thoroughly hardcore, and Cameron was at the heart of T1&2's tech-noir excellence... I suspect Alien worked in spite of Scott as much as anything, given his filming of those lame-assed scripts that piss all over Dan O'Bannon's beloved cosmic horror. Uh oh, this tangent is about to explodel! FITE ME @ MOVIES THREAD, you no-taste-having noobs. Image).

Appreciated the detailed reportage ;-;7
Last edited by BIL on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Knowing well that Miyamoto isn't directly involved in 5% of the stuff he's credited for, I do think a producer credit with his name still works as a general quality assurance label. Nintendo usually won't assign him any kind of assumed responsibility for a product that they aren't protective of the quality of.

Obviously Konami doesn't share that approach. They have no investment in Nakazato's name.
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

ImageImage
Mail Call - A friend of mine was cleaning out his gameroom and decided he didn't want his Japanese dreamcast , so he sent it to me . Its much heavier then my U.S. Version and turns out its a Rev 0
also picked up a new phone ( iPhone 11 Pro Max )

Stoked to try out some Japanese Dreamcast games.
Last edited by AKRATEN on Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Beautiful DC. :smile: Always a happy sight, that machine.
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

Thanks!
Steamflogger Boss

BIL wrote:Beautiful DC. :smile: Always a happy sight, that machine.
I have too many Dreamcasts, but I wouldn't want to be without one...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'll post pics of the Guncon 1 stuff when the Guncon 1 arrives. I already had one Guncon 2, so only one Guncon 2 in the pic is new. I decided to go ahead and get a SNES mini since Nintendo offered a reasonable price for a refurbished one. It looks like new and even came with all the hookups and controllers.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

omg I just bought Ridge Racer V two weeks back on ebay. JP version was cheaper so I went with that.

Glad to see others enjoying V on the PS2 :D
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

ImageImageImage

GB01 cartridge reader by submodule.co.

A cute lil' device that only does a few things, but does them well, and is user-friendly. Main task I'll use it for is its savegame backup & restore feature. That way you can change batteries without having to fear losing your savegame on the cartridge. :)

Have tested it with a handful of specifically chosen games now and am quite pleased with it. The software doesn't know yet the saving technology used by Gradius Advance (aka. Gradius Galaxies), which is needed for successful savegame reading/writing. But that can certainly be supplemented via updates, and while that hasn't happened yet, the parameters can be dialed in manually.

It's not mentioned explicitly on the website, but it also supports Game Boy Color games.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Axelay

Post by Axelay »

^

I have found memories of playing elemental gearbox with a Gcon good stuff.

My signed collectors box of bloodstained finally arrived from kickstarter. Not to shabby would have preffered a nice piece of Ayami kojima artwork on the box . But it will do
Arms installation complete Good luck
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Bought this Baseball shirt on a whim after it came up in a random Donpachi search I did on Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233376050693
Obviously I immediately thought this is some retro Cave merch and seeing the low price on it I didn't hesitate... :lol: But now I can't find any info on it online at all..
Does anyone have any idea on that? Searching for "Donpachi baseball" on Google yields nothing and I also can't find any connection between the number 11 and the series.
I'll still keep the shirt since I like the games but... it'll be a bit of a bummer if it turns out its not actually connected to the game at all....although maybe I can fool people that visit my game room where I'll display it :twisted: