Some Shmup-heads love Golf!!!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
TWITCHDOCTOR

Some Shmup-heads love Golf!!!

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Well, I like some golf games. I appreciate the skill involved for the real sport, but I'm not really that much into it. I do love hitting the greens in video game form though.
Faves:
Neo Turfmasters (Neo Geo)
Swing Away Golf (PS2)
Hot Shots Fore (PS2)
Outlaw Golf 2 (XBOX)

What I'm really getting at here is, well the developers.
I mean, check this out.
Nazca...the Metal Slug team also created Neo TurfMasters, and T&E Soft created Swing Away Golf (and countless other golf titles including Wicked 18 SNES, etc) but also UndeadLine for the Megadrive!!!
I wonder if there's more dev teams who make shmups and play golf?
I heard Konami has a cool arcade golf game...never seen it though.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Naxat Soft, famous for several excellent PCE shmups (and, erm, Planet Joker for Saturn...) also had a golf game "Naxat Open" for PCE. Jolly good, relaxing fun.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Yea, I've heard of Naxat Open.
I was looking through the list at KLOV, and Konami has at least 6 arcade golf games. Thats really no surprise though, as they are a huge company and any large company is going to offer games of all types.
I'm mainly refering to the smaller dev teams/companies though.
I wonder if Irem has one? Taito has a few...then again, they're pretty big.
gmw

Post by gmw »

Sega has also developed a number of arcade golf games, most of which haven't made it outside Japan.

But speaking of great golf games, I've heard nothing but excellent things about the Seta-developed GameCube game "Legend of Golfer" - it looks terrific, but aside from a review on NTSC-UK, I've never seen anything about it. Seems to have gone completely under the radar. Has anyone played it?
BIG

Post by BIG »

T'is is true....

However,the only golf game I really get a kick out of playing is none other than Neoturfmasters.

BIG-
Jon

Post by Jon »

I despise the real life game however I always got a kick out of the Camelot golf games (Hot Shots, Mario Golf.) A multi-tap, a few beers, and a lazy Sunday afternoon always makes for a good time. I just wish we wouldn't get those wretched "westernized" character models we got in the past few Hot Shots titles. Interestingly enough I got a copy of Naxat Open for free when I bought my PC Engine and have never once fired it up. Maybe I need to give it a shot.
straight

Post by straight »

Golf and Shmups. Makes sense to me. In one kind of game, you play the same levels again and again, trying to get the best score possible.

And the other kind of game are SHMUPS! :D