D-pad users - what's your favourite controller?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
indstr

D-pad users - what's your favourite controller?

Post by indstr »

For those of you who prefer gamepads with a D-pad, what is your favourite controller, and why?

I use a modified SNES controller right now, i bought an xbox 360 controller recently (to play driving games with the analogue) but strangely, i actually like the feel of the d-pad on it, even though i have heard a BUNCH of people online complain about how bad it is.

i know that the saturn is a popular choice, although i've never been a fan of its 6 button layout, much preferring the snes/playstation style 4 buttons (easier to roll your thumbs on the X and B buttons to play platformers, in my opinion)

i guess i'm constantly in search of a better/the perfect controller, and i'm willing to do heavy modifications to make it fit my needs. so i'm interested just to see what other people like & do some research.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Saturn-style PS2 pad all the way. I figure that and its original iteration will get lots of votes.

It's simply the most accurate and comfortable controller I've ever used.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

Toss up between the original PC Engine controller and the Sega Genesis 6 button controller for me.
Regulus

Post by Regulus »

Probably the SNES controller. The Dual Shock is close, but I don't like the separator on the dpad.. The 360's would be good if the dpad weren't so... vile.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

Ghegs wrote:Saturn-style PS2 pad all the way. I figure that and its original iteration will get lots of votes.

It's simply the most accurate and comfortable controller I've ever used.
What Ghegs said, and I also like the MD 6-button pad.

PS.
There have been topics like this before, always with the same result. The Saturn pad is considered best by most people.

Dualshock would be ok, if not for the awful d-pad. Will Sony ever learn?
MX7

Post by MX7 »

A joint tie between the SNES controller and the PS style Logitech Precision USB pad. I'd love to be able to use either on my PS2 :(
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

The PS2 Saturn pad just cannot be beat, imo.
it290

Post by it290 »

Saturn mk2/Genesis 6 button. I think the Dualshock pad is fine too, far better than those abysmal Nintendo pads anyway.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Definitely the SNES controller.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Regulus wrote:The Dual Shock is close
Surely, you jest! :D

SS / SNES / 6-Button Genny are my tops. My heart goes out to 8-Bit NES pads, but I can't remember how many late night sessions left me w/ tattered thumbs! :D
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

My favorites…I love them with equal.

Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Saturn Pad
BIL

Post by BIL »

DJ Rectal Prolapse wrote:A joint tie between the SNES controller and the PS style Logitech Precision USB pad. I'd love to be able to use either on my PS2 :(
I love that Logitech Precision pad. Dirt cheap and a hell of a lot better than the XB360's abysmal directional pad. I wish I could use it on my PS2 as well, I like the dual shock in every regard besides its directional pad.

My #1 favourite is the USB Saturn pad for PC.
Last edited by BIL on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Bill, you're not implying that the Logitech Precision will work on the 360 through USB, are you? If so, I will have to try it out.

You know, Logitech does make a Cordless Precision Controller for the PS2 (different from the Cordless Action which was quite popular). Does this look like the same D-Pad?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gamin ... 3&cl=us,en
BIL

Post by BIL »

bigbadboaz wrote:Bill, you're not implying that the Logitech Precision will work on the 360 through USB, are you? If so, I will have to try it out.

You know, Logitech does make a Cordless Precision Controller for the PS2 (different from the Cordless Action which was quite popular). Does this look like the same D-Pad?

Sorry, no; I only use it for PC gaming. I can't tell you it wouldn't work on a 360, but I've never tried that myself. The pad on that PS2 one does look similar... here's the PC Precision pad I use: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gamin ... 1&cl=us,en
Asherdude

Post by Asherdude »

The Saturn pad. It's the best Street Fighter II controller on the planet! :D
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

agree with Sonic R, except I don't like the NEC controller that much because the d-pad is positioned too close to the bottom-left corner
Erinu

Post by Erinu »

Saturn pad, or PS2 pad if I really have to. Which I usually don't.

Extremely loose PS2 pads, that is. New ones suck dick.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

undamned wrote:SS / SNES / 6-Button Genny are my tops.
I agree. The PCE pad is also really good, IMO.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

my favs have been

saturn pad (have a white, not that it matters)
genesis
---- not sure what edition but i have a first-party 3 button controller where the d-pad sort of sits loosely on top of a ball joint (kinda). it is loose as hell and i love it to death. there was a time where i was obsessed with steel empire. 1lc it many times using this baby.
I have no sig whatsoever.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

bigbadboaz wrote:

Looks identical to me. Think I'm on to a winner: Thanks for the info!
unsane

Post by unsane »

DJ Rectal Prolapse wrote:PS style Logitech Precision USB pad.

I've never tried that one but my fave is its cousin, the Dual Action Gamepad. Keep in mind i've never used the Jesus Gamepad (Saturn pad).

Edit: Hmm that one i linked has a different d-pad, it must be the new model. Mine has a d-pad like the aforementioned Precision.

Edit 13/03/09: I've gone through a second one, after a couple months of use once again. Do not purchase this game pad ever.
Last edited by unsane on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

DJ Rectal Prolapse wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:

Looks identical to me. Think I'm on to a winner: Thanks for the info!
I was up way too late when I was posting last night, didn't realise boaz was recommending to check out that Logitech PS2 pad. Thanks from me too, man! Dual Shocks' D-pads tend to kill my thumb, especially when I only use them sporadically like I do atm. Always good to hear about alternatives.
unsane wrote:
DJ Rectal Prolapse wrote:PS style Logitech Precision USB pad.

I've never tried that one but my fave is its cousin, the Dual Action Gamepad. Keep in mind i've never used the Jesus Gamepad (Saturn pad).

Edit: Hmm that one i linked has a different d-pad, it must be the new model. Mine has a d-pad like the aforementioned Precision.
I'd heard to stay away from that older model Logitech Dual Action pad. Never used it personally, but by the time I'd considered picking up a cheap PC pad the Precision was available too. It'd be cool if the newer one you're using has a d-pad like the Precision's.
lewisit

Post by lewisit »

(again) casting a vote for the ASCII Pad FT

love the looseness of the d-pad and the relatively big buttons (which are all the same size - something that's important to me...)
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

MathU wrote:Definitely the SNES controller.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

Saturn pad is good, as everyone agrees. I like the Logitech Precision Pad, as someone else mentioned before, for my PC gaming.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Saturn Pad FTW.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Hori Anasin 2 Turbo, by a long shot.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

lewisit wrote:(again) casting a vote for the ASCII Pad FT

love the looseness of the d-pad and the relatively big buttons (which are all the same size - something that's important to me...)
Yes, the ascii pad for dc is my second favorite, after the Saturn pad for PS2. So good in so many ways.
indstr

Post by indstr »

Koa Zo wrote:Hori Anasin 2 Turbo, by a long shot.
mmm, i went and looked at a picture of that, and it does look nice. the d-pad looks nice and so does the shape of the controller.

i might have to track one down