Officially Impressed *Castlevania DS*

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
UnscathedFlyingObject

Officially Impressed *Castlevania DS*

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

It's eye pooeing :shock:! I mean, poppping! Damn, maybe the DS isn't that bad afterall.

DS fanboys can start saying "I told you so, biatch!".

Vids:
http://media.ds.ign.com/media/695/695639/vids_1.html
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/castl ... media.html
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

I was going to get a DS just for Super Mario Bros. DS...but I'll be grabbing this for sure!
now tighter than your sister
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

I'm not much for portables, but the Nintendo DS does interest me. I think the fact that it will play GameBoy Advance titles is what won me over. See, I missed out on some great games there.
Other than that, I really can hardly consider the Sony's PSP a portable.
I mean, short battery life, expensive to replace. You'd be scarred to take it along with you!

More than likely I won't be getting either portable. I'm pretty much a console man. Portables are for kids with no TV sets, and or, people who commute on a bus,train, etc,etc.
The only portable I own is Mattel Electronic Football from 1977. LED bleeps and blips baby!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Let's not confuse Konami's merits with the hardware's...

I have the feeling Castlevania DS will be great despite the DS, not thanks to it.

The whole "draw the spell with your stylus" thing it's really a gimmick.

Oh, well... We have a saying here that goes: "The one who despises, he buys". That's to say that I can complain all I want, I'll end getting this one too :lol:

EDIT: http://www.the-magicbox.com/0501/game050127f.shtml

Oh, man. That artwork is awful. I already miss Ayami Kojima-san.

There are also new CoD screens:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0501/game050127b.shtml
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Uughhh... :roll: Looks like another "CastleTroid" (Metriod with a whip) by the looks of this map.
http://media.ds.ign.com/media/695/69563 ... 31030.html

Also, this map is almost a splitting image of the one featured in Symphony of the Night. Although, this DS version looks like it may surpass SOTN.

I'm still skeptical here...I don't really care about SOTN either way. I like my Castlevania's more...straight-foreward, as in "arcade styled". Y'know, to where you can actually play through in one sitting like parts I,III,IV,X, Rhondo?

Backtracking is not "replay value". PLus, I hate that term "replay value". Its just a ghey term used by modern mainstream lamers/gamers/ and so-called professional reviewers,etc!
Blah!!! :x
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

@Turrican: While Ayami Kojima's art was an interesting change from all the Castlevanias since SOTN, I'm finally happy to see the male characters looking like they actually have a... Y chromosome, and not like they had a heavy surge of estrogen forced down their system. *shudders*
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

He doesn't look a male that way. He just looks a stereotyped anime-junk hero.

And I prefer my CV heroes slightly gay than similar to Xenosaga freaks ^_^

by the way, what do you think of Hector? Kojima's illustration doesn't depict him like a girly one, don't you think?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I don't think that I feel comfortable thinking of a slightly gay, intoxicated-looking, whip wielding hero, man. BDSM and drugs anyone? :P

Xenosaga freaks? I was just eyeing the first game to try on my brother's brand new PS2. *runs off sobbing*

(Haven't seen Hector yet. Will check.)
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Well... It's not really a catastrophe. Rondo of Blood already had a very generic, almost-hentai anime look, but that didn't stop it to become one of the best Castlevania out there...

Still, they could have taken this style change for an all-new episode, instead of a so direct sequel to AoS. Soma & company already had a specific look... Oh well.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

^^ Agreed. New look for a new game, not for a direct sequel.
dementia

Post by dementia »

In motion I think it looks every bit as incredible as SotN or NitM.
Shapermc

Post by Shapermc »

Turrican wrote:The whole "draw the spell with your stylus" thing it's really a gimmick.
You have not watched the videos aparently. Altough there is that and the ice breaking, you also have the second screen always displaing the map or character information and detailed enemy information.

This thread needs to quit being haters. If you don't like it great. Castleroid is not new term, neither is Metroidvania or any other use of the two titles.

This game is looking fabulous and you can thank the DS that there is still a platform that you can release quality 2D games.
Once the great legend of the joystick master, I am now a ronin floating the boards hoping to strike with a post.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Shapermc wrote:
Turrican wrote:The whole "draw the spell with your stylus" thing it's really a gimmick.
You have not watched the videos aparently. Altough there is that and the ice breaking, you also have the second screen always displaing the map or character information and detailed enemy information.

This thread needs to quit being haters. If you don't like it great. Castleroid is not new term, neither is Metroidvania or any other use of the two titles.

This game is looking fabulous and you can thank the DS that there is still a platform that you can release quality 2D games.
Don't make me laugh. What you're saying you do like it? It's not even been released yet, you fall in love easily with some videos.

What?? the map? And I should take you seriously... All this talking of how the DS will be a revolution with innovative concepts, and you come here and tell me that the game is good because it uses the second screen for the map? That is just the kind of detail that should put (edit: not you, the makers) on shame.

Look. I haven't used the term castleroid, or metroidvania, or else. I didn't say if I like the games that do follow the Sotn formula, so you're assuming. And you're plain wrong. You can't even guess how far you are from truth.

About the spells, the stylus, the map etc. I remain of my position: this game is Castlevania. it could have been made on the GBA as usual. I do not need to thank the DS for anything, it's the DS that needs to thank Castlevania, because now it has a title people look forward to. A title that could have been made pretty much anywhere else, and that uses gimmicks like "stylus spells" or "second screen map" just as an excuse to be on the DS.

This game will be great despite the DS, because it will be like previous ones. And people will buy and love this one (this includes me) because the old action gaming it's ten thousand times more fun than "rub the screen to get spiders off your girlfriend" or "draw clouds so baby mario will fall safely".
X - P - B
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Did any of you play the last Castlevania game on the GBA? This one looks VERY similar and actually looks pretty much like the same character. Since I loved that game, it does indeed make the DS tempting--and the ability to play GBA games...though I'll be waiting a while to see what comes of it.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
dementia

Post by dementia »

CMoon wrote:Did any of you play the last Castlevania game on the GBA? This one looks VERY similar and actually looks pretty much like the same character. Since I loved that game, it does indeed make the DS tempting--and the ability to play GBA games...though I'll be waiting a while to see what comes of it.
Yeah, It's a direct sequel to Aria of Sorrow, taking place one year afterwards.
jp

Post by jp »

Geez, whats up with the DS hate? The DS is a great little console and probably the last console that will actually focus on 2D gaming. If anything, I would think this board would LOVE the machine. But graphics whores will be graphics whores I suppose...

Anyways, the videos look great, and I can't wait for the game. It looks awesome.

"And people will buy and love this one (this includes me) because the old action gaming it's ten thousand times more fun than "rub the screen to get spiders off your girlfriend" or "draw clouds so baby mario will fall safely"."

Interesting comment, especially seeing as how the game where you "draw clouds so baby mario will fall safely" recieved a gold review from Famitsu.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Oh boy. All this DS hate is completely irrelevant to the topic, but whatever...not my thread.

Anyways, I'm totally looking forward to playing this game, and for those who are in love with Castlevania series and haven't played Aria of Sorrow, heed this advice: Stop reading this thread right now and go play it.

It's that GOOD.

Oh, and pick up Castlevania: Symphony of the Night if you haven't played that as well, too.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Not a Castlevania player at all and as a satisfied DS owner, not interested in debating DS vs PSP any longer. Just wanted to say it looks amazing, fantastic detail and parallax too. If this is a start of what the DS can do with 2D, then here's hoping we get a Metroid Zero Mission followup on the DS.
Last edited by Dylan1CC on Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I didn't feel like making an account so I didn't watch the videos. But I can't wait for this game.

Every CV game released for the portables has been great. And I love the Castletroid style of gaming. I always loved exploring.
dementia

Post by dementia »

landshark wrote:
Every CV game released for the portables has been great.
I'm not really a fan of Castlevania Legends or Castlevania: The Adventure

CotM and AoS were tops though.
Akira
Site Admin

Post by Akira »

I couldn't watch any f the videos (first ones at iGN, which I despise therefore will never register), and second one were Media Players which I can't see (no Media Player installed). But the screenshots look excellent and I am surprised to see a 2D game like this on theDS. I thought they were all going to be N64 upgraded jobbies like Super mario.

VERY glad to see this sort of game on the DS, it might be worth a purchase after all.
.:[ BLAST OFF AND STRIKE THE EVIL BYDO EMPIRE! ]:.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Make an account? I had no trouble watching the small (yet long) video on IGN and I aint no "Insider"...
landshark

Post by landshark »

dementia wrote:
landshark wrote:
Every CV game released for the portables has been great.
I'm not really a fan of Castlevania Legends or Castlevania: The Adventure

CotM and AoS were tops though.
Ack - I should have said GBA. Sorry 'bout that.
Make an account? I had no trouble watching the small (yet long) video on IGN and I aint no "Insider"...
Weird. I tried it again and it worked fine. Maybe I clicked the quicktime link last time.
jp

Post by jp »

If you haven't played Aria of Sorrow, its $20 at Toys R' Us... so you really have no excuse to not experience that awesomeness.
joshschw

Post by joshschw »

Turrican wrote:Let's not confuse Konami's merits with the hardware's...

I have the feeling Castlevania DS will be great despite the DS, not thanks to it.

Konami doesn''t HAVE to use any of the DS features (Touch Screen, Second Screen, etc...) they are CHOOSING to, and I have doubts they wouled do it if it really was just a gimmick that would get in the way of the game.

'Despite' being on the DS makes little tro no sense either. It can't be on the PS2 since Sony America hates 2D, and the PSP's 2D isn;t as good as the DS 2D from what's been shown so far.
jp

Post by jp »

joshschw wrote:

'Despite' being on the DS makes little tro no sense either. It can't be on the PS2 since Sony America hates 2D, and the PSP's 2D isn;t as good as the DS 2D from what's been shown so far.

The PSP's 2D isn't as good as the DS? How do you figure? :?:
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

landshark wrote:I didn't feel like making an account so I didn't watch the videos. But I can't wait for this game.

Every CV game released for the portables has been great. And I love the Castletroid style of gaming. I always loved exploring.
Don't click on the subscribers' links and problem solved.

Media Player = Free
Quicktime = Subscribers

After a while everything is locked, but that's later.

Edit: For everyone else who doesn't know, then, since I didn't read you got it.
Last edited by UnscathedFlyingObject on Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
joshschw

Post by joshschw »

jp wrote:
joshschw wrote:

The PSP's 2D isn't as good as the DS? How do you figure? :?:
I said from whats been shown so far... :wink: heck maybe it even has more potential I don't know the specs and stuff.
jp

Post by jp »

You are correct. I was just hoping you had some proof of this or something. :)
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

jp wrote:Geez, whats up with the DS hate? The DS is a great little console and probably the last console that will actually focus on 2D gaming. If anything, I would think this board would LOVE the machine. But graphics whores will be graphics whores I suppose...
Great. Just great. First, shapermc calls me a castlevania or castleroid hater. Now you arrive and call me a DS hater (I will not discuss the "graphic whore" part... maybe I'll settle that in a pm).

You know, I could just leave the discussion thinking both of you are dense. Still, I talked to you before enough to know you aren't (well, shapermc surely isn't :roll: ).

So; there must be another explanation. Maybe my english is poor, or in the rush I didn't explain myself. Let's start over.

I criticized two aspects of AoS2 in this topic. Its quite "generic" use of DS features, and the less than inspired anime-artwork.

Because of this, I must clearly hate castleroids, and I must hate the DS. (you know, after all, maybe you're dense).

1= I wrote "That's to say that I can complain all I want, I'll end getting this one too." That's a subtle hint. Maybe too subtle for you, as it went unnoticed. Can it be that I buy this one too because I like Castlevania?

2= I wrote that Castlevania will be great "despite" being on the DS. I thought it was clear enough, but again: with this, I mean that Castlevania's strongest points of interest are in its classic gameplay. The way Soma explores the castle, grabs souls, fights enemies... All the things that made AoS great in the first place.

Now, AoS2 is a DS early title. It will make use of the DS features, but not in a relevant way. The main core of AoS 2 is a game that could be played on GBA, but while they're on DS, they'll take advantage of it introducing some "gimmicks".
I'm not saying that these will be bad or will ruin the game. I'm just saying that you could see your map pressing select on GBA, you could destroy ice blocks in any other way, and the sealing monster stuff is very "optional"... You feel the game could be without it.

If AoS 2 was announced for GBA again (therefore without these gimmicks), then you would be excited the same, because a new Castlevania is (hopefully) always good news.

You see jp, Nintendo is trying to use the DS features in a creative way, as you mention. Iga is not trying to do that with AoS 2. He just took the Castlevania formula and added some gimmcks with relatively no effort. If the use of the stylus or the touch screen proves to be absolutely brilliant and well implemented in the game, I will be happy of course. But even then, it would still be a Castlevania game with some nice features "sticked" to it.

So yes, I criticized Castlevania DS for the ugly anime-artwork and I said that it will probably be great (because at its core it's Castlevania), and not certainly because I can seal away bosses with the stylus. I do not take back anything of that.

If criticizing some aspetcs of a game is hating a series, I would urge you to take a good reading at Mrp's Castlevania Realm, especially the news section. You should have got my posts that I actually care for CV, and I'm worried that it could go downhill.

If saying that a game won't make a full, creative use of DS's features is being a DS hater or (?) a graphic whore... Yeah, right. :roll:
joshschw wrote:Konami doesn''t HAVE to use any of the DS features (Touch Screen, Second Screen, etc...) they are CHOOSING to, and I have doubts they wouled do it if it really was just a gimmick that would get in the way of the game.
They don't have to, but they wouldn't get away with the press by just releasing a game that does not use those features whatsoever. So they use them. I'm not so pessimistic to think they'll get in the way of the game (it takes damn a hard try to ruin a CV), but I don't think they'll be the absolute best part of the experience either. It's more likely that you'll feel the same game could have been done without 'em.
joshschw wrote:'Despite' being on the DS makes little tro no sense either. It can't be on the PS2 since Sony America hates 2D, and the PSP's 2D isn;t as good as the DS 2D from what's been shown so far.
Huh... despite the DS's features, such as stylus, dual screen use and touch screen.
What makes you think that I'd like it to be 3D, or maybe on PSP? Oh right, that's because I'm a DS hater, and a graphic whore. I almost forgot.
X - P - B