Go see The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Sengoku Strider

Re: Go see The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Rastan78 wrote:I didn't notice anything odd in the heat of the moment etc.
Dude the moment is 2 hours long.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

To me it looks like a coin control joystick which came in 4 way or 8 way, leaf switch or microswitch versions. A totally reasonable replacement for a DK cabinet outside of TG's uptight restrictions. How can you tell which model from the top of the panel?

Karl said looks like an 8 way? OK why?

https://kowalarcade.wordpress.com/arcad ... ick-4-way/
The longer one is a typical balltop. Red, white, blue and black colors available. The bar has a plastic shaft cover permanently integrated with the shaft itself, it is in battop color.
So yeah there is at least one stick out there that has that unusual long thing shaft with matching color to the balltop and is 4-way.

To me they look very similar to the one in the pic. Pic of the long shaft red version here:

https://kowalarcade.wordpress.com/arcad ... k-4-8-way/
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

To continue ignoring the clown's antics, I just wanted to say it's really cool when companies make new authentic NES roms of their games. Like Galaga and Pac-Man Championship Edition.

Donkey Kong NES/famicom got an update some years ago; that restores the lost stage and a little bit of the cut animation. I think it only has one official release? Extremely obscure and possibly time-limited? Not even used on the Switch subscription ROM shop, afaik? It's a bit odd, but also entirely expected.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Well, it was available on the 3DS eShop, but not anymore. lol
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I think I figured out what the problem is with why some Donkey Kong stages are bad: They don't have barrels in them.

Congo Bongo has the same problem. One good stage, then a bunch of weird stages where the giant monkey isn't throwing shit at you. Every Donkey Kong stage would be better with barrels.

On this topic, I've become like Kathleen Kennedy: "Put a barrel in it. Make it gay!"
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

There's not a stage where he's literally throwing his shit at you, either.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

BryanM wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:04 pm Donkey Kong NES/famicom got an update some years ago; that restores the lost stage and a little bit of the cut animation. I think it only has one official release? Extremely obscure and possibly time-limited? Not even used on the Switch subscription ROM shop, afaik? It's a bit odd, but also entirely expected.
IIRC it was made for the Wii virtual console, right?
It's still the shitty NES port though. I feel obligated to point out that someone made a much more arcade perfect port of Donkey Kong for the NES some years back, that you really should try to get ahold of if you can dig it up!
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Sumez wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:08 am
BryanM wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:04 pm Donkey Kong NES/famicom got an update some years ago; that restores the lost stage and a little bit of the cut animation. I think it only has one official release? Extremely obscure and possibly time-limited? Not even used on the Switch subscription ROM shop, afaik? It's a bit odd, but also entirely expected.
IIRC it was made for the Wii virtual console, right?
It's still the shitty NES port though. I feel obligated to point out that someone made a much more arcade perfect port of Donkey Kong for the NES some years back, that you really should try to get ahold of if you can dig it up!
wonder who that could've been...?