Treasure: New DS Game Countdown: Bangai-O Spirits

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
beam

Post by beam »

The Bangai-o Soundtracks will be released on 2008.04.02. All three of them (N64, DC and DS) on 3 cds.

Moreover there's a japanese wiki with original stages there.
Last information courtesy of NeoGAF.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?ar ... 028&page=1

10 out of 10 for Eurogamer. Japan's answer to GTA IV :)
X - P - B
MathU

Post by MathU »

They bribed reviewers too?
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Turrican wrote:http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?ar ... 028&page=1

10 out of 10 for Eurogamer. Japan's answer to GTA IV :)
So, Bangai-O Spirits. I think it's amazing.
Not the best start for a review :lol:

Still, it's looking like a must buy.
beam

Post by beam »

After some googling found another ressource for japanese stages : uploader link

just click this to download :

By the way the BANGAI-O SPIRITS Audio Collection Plus is incredible !
The best soundtrack is the dreamcast one but the n64 version is nonetheless great. I Haven't played the n64 cart so it's the best way to discover its music variations. The ds one is the less enjoyable.
It's available on play-asia
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

MathU wrote:They bribed reviewers too?
here's proof that they didn't have to do that....

bribing reviewers to encourage shmup distribution is fine with me though. ;)
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

10 out of 10 for Eurogamer.
TREASUUUUUUUUUUUUURE
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I've never played Bangai-O.

Is it a Treasure classic, or is it overrated? Give me the 411.

s/m
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

It's a classic that's underrated if anything. I bet more people have played Radiant Silvergun than Bangai-O. But you wouldn't know if you ask the fans, as we tend to praise the bejesus out of it!
But it's really the kind of game you either get or don't get, but as a shmup fan or just a general arcade style game fan, you should love it.
Trek trough the Galaxy on silver wings and play football online.
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

JoshF wrote:
10 out of 10 for Eurogamer.
TREASUUUUUUUUUUUUURE
If your exclamation is supposed to tell us that they rated it 10 because it's been developed by treasure you might be wrong - Gunstar Future/ Super Heroes got a 5.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61905
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Hahah, that article. Oh man, that article.

IT'S LESS THAN AN HOUR LONG.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

moozooh wrote:Hahah, that article. Oh man, that article.

IT'S LESS THAN AN HOUR LONG.
You mean the review? And what is "less than an hour long"? :?:
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Try reading the review you've linked yourself.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

Necronom

Post by Necronom »

moozooh wrote:Try reading the review you've linked yourself.
I did...months ago;-)
While I don't agree with it (who does?) it also shows that the usual forum kneejerk reaction "they did it because it's done by treasure!" is bullshit, especially when it comes to Eurogamer which is certainly no gamespot or IGN.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

More like, it substitutes one "typical" reviewer reaction ("Treasure is awesome") with an even worse reviewer reaction ("short games are bad"). While the former has some merit to it, the latter is plain stupid. In other words, the only major reason the reviewer rated GSH that low was due to its length. And since it was a different reviewer from the one who gave Bangaioh Spirits a 10, it's really just a bad example, overall.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I know this game is being localized, but could you just by the Jap version? Is there much text in it to begin with?

s/m
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I know this game is being localized, but could you just by the Jap version? Is there much text in it to begin with?

s/m
The Western release is supposed to have loads more levels, and something else, iirc?
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

Eurogamer which is certainly no gamespot or IGN
Don't kid yourself.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Koa Zo wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:I know this game is being localized, but could you just by the Jap version? Is there much text in it to begin with?

s/m
The Western release is supposed to have loads more levels, and something else, iirc?
Well, I guess i'll wait it out then. Is that a Sam Keith avatar? If so, I love his artwork.

s/m
Necronom

Post by Necronom »

JoshF wrote:
Eurogamer which is certainly no gamespot or IGN
Don't kid yourself.
I don't. Don't worry.
Etrian

Post by Etrian »

Feel free to import. Although, knowing Katakana really helps with understanding what the attacks you can use are. You can assign buttons to different attacks (sword, bat, shot, etc) but most of the time you'll be using the L/R buttons.

If the US version ends up having more content, definitely get that instead. But so far it's just a rumour. Remember those Brawl rumours?
henry dark

Post by henry dark »

The (quite funny) dialogues that explain everything are of course all in Japanese, but its nothing you probably couldn't look up on google.

The real fun in this game lies in the level creator.
neist

Post by neist »

Etrian wrote:Feel free to import. Although, knowing Katakana really helps with understanding what the attacks you can use are. You can assign buttons to different attacks (sword, bat, shot, etc) but most of the time you'll be using the L/R buttons.

If the US version ends up having more content, definitely get that instead. But so far it's just a rumour. Remember those Brawl rumours?
Yea, the only reason we think there may be more content is because in an interview someone stated that they were going to try to push more content in the US release.

Emphasis on the try. I remain skeptical.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

neist wrote:
Etrian wrote:Feel free to import. Although, knowing Katakana really helps with understanding what the attacks you can use are. You can assign buttons to different attacks (sword, bat, shot, etc) but most of the time you'll be using the L/R buttons.

Yea, the only reason we think there may be more content is because in an interview someone stated that they were going to try to push more content in the US release.

The US and EU versions of Astro Boy are several times better than the original Japanese release: Treasure are just the kind of crazy guys which will try to polish and refine a product whenever they have a chance, until the very last day available. I'm not skeptical on this.
X - P - B
neist

Post by neist »

Shrug. I'm just saying they were going to try. :)

Gamespot had a interview posted over the game and they said "over 150 maps". So I assume were still getting some extra (didnt the Japanese release only have 150?). They were probably vague as they are yet sure.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Turrican wrote:
neist wrote:

The US and EU versions of Astro Boy are several times better than the original Japanese release: Treasure are just the kind of crazy guys which will try to polish and refine a product whenever they have a chance, until the very last day available. I'm not skeptical on this.
Astro Boy was all kinds of awesome. It's a shame it probably won't get more of the audience it deserves...just because a lot of people will see the cover art, and "Astro Boy", and not care. Oh well.

s/m
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Astro Boy was all kinds of awesome. It's a shame it probably won't get more of the audience it deserves...just because a lot of people will see the cover art, and "Astro Boy", and not care. Oh well.

s/m
Same deal with the magna and anime, IMO. I especially like the 80s series and how it portrays Atlas as a major villain. Too bad the 60s and the more recent series didn't get the full subtitle treatment here (actually, the 80s technically didn't either, but at least most of the episodes are subbed. Sucks how one of the nicer episodes was cut).
Gozer

Post by Gozer »

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

^ Behold, the only two females who will ever be seen "playing" Bangai-O Spirits.

That feature does seem kinda cool though.