shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:07 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vanillaware love-in (Odin Sphere, Muramasa, etc.)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:05 am 

[quote="Blackbird"]Speak of the devil... someone's selling Princess Crown on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Princess-Crown-Sega ... 1e64a5298e

Never seen it before. I wonder if it's any good./quote]

Quite similar to Odin Sphere really. I've had it for years and tried to get through it once using a guide (for the translation) but lost interest... similar to Odin Sphere I guess. Murasama has more pick up and go pace about it.

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:14 am 

Skykid wrote:
Really, can you shed a little more light on this? What's missing?

A huge amount of text has been either removed, or modified into something entirely different from what was written. I would say about 95% of dialogue has been ruined because Ignition's translations are awful. Muramasa is a a great game with an interesting setting and has a lot of development around the characters, all of which is stripped to a generic 2D platformer in localization.

Just listen to the voices compared to what English you're seeing. Japanese isn't that goddamn tedious.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:45 am 

Skykid wrote:
Quite similar to Odin Sphere really. I've had it for years and tried to get through it once using a guide (for the translation) but lost interest... similar to Odin Sphere I guess. Murasama has more pick up and go pace about it.

The price for Princess Crown went down once it was re-released on the PSP. I own it for the Saturn, but haven't played it much. I like how it is more of an adventure game. Odin Sphere is great, but it just gets so repetitive, running around in circles, playing the same levels over and over again with different characters. I never completed the Pooka Prince, and haven't touched it in years. I have played Muramasa over at Spec's place, and I like it a lot. It seems to be a better game than Odin Sphere. Alas, I own no next-gen game systems at all, so therefore no Wii to play it on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:47 am 

any word on the XBLA ports of these two games?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:11 am 

Jonathan Ingram wrote:
I finished Grim Grimoire yesterday. I had already played through all the other Vanilla Ware games before, so GG was the last one.

I've had GrimGrimoire lying around since it's European release - still didn't play it! D: Imagine how long it'll take for me to get around Muramasa...

And with Dragon's Crown also coming up, don't forget their PSP RPG - Grand Knights History

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:14 pm 

Sumez wrote:
I've had GrimGrimoire lying around since it's European release - still didn't play it! D: Imagine how long it'll take for me to get around Muramasa...

Grim Grimoire is a pretty short game, to be honest. You`ll probably finish it in 2-3 days. It`s also a lot less repetitive than Odin Sphere and Muramasa.

Quote:
And with Dragon's Crown also coming up, don't forget their PSP RPG - Grand Knights History

The good thing about Dragon`s Crown is that both the PS3 and PSVita versions have already been announced for the Western release and will retail for $30 each. The bad thing is that the localization will be done by Ignition, the same guys who butchered Muramasa. :(

We`ll probably never see Grand Knights History leave Japan though. PSP is so dead in the water in the West that even Monster Hunter Portable 3 didn`t get localized.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:03 am 

One more reason for this forum to keep an eye on Grand Knights History - Takahashi Meijin is shilling for it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:20 am 

Surprisingly he's working for Marvelous now? I know he seriously disagreed with Konami absorbing Hudson, as did the head of the Mamotarou Densetsu series.

Apparently that video isn't available in HD, which is a shame, because it doesn't capture Vanillaware's works. I'll probably look into both games, but I'm honestly more interested in Dragon's Crown.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:17 am 

I'm gonna be an asshole, and say I can't get into these games. They're just too damn repetitive. Beautiful graphics though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:12 am 

evil_ash_xero wrote:
I'm gonna be an asshole, and say I can't get into these games. They're just too damn repetitive. Beautiful graphics though.

Didn't like Odin Sphere myself. Weapons seemed to weak, and enemies didn't have enough attacks to make combat interesting.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:39 am 

Ok, I've just been looking at screenshots of Dragon's Crown. The game looks amazing, but can anyone tell me if the structure of the game is flat-out arcade w/ action RPG elements like the D&D games by Capcom, or is this a grind heavy MMORPG akin to Dungeon Fighter/ Arad Senki?

I like both styles so I'm not too worried either way... but having never played a Vanillaware game I'm curious - have they ever done belt-scroll beat 'em ups before or is this all new to them?

Obviously as a fighting game and beat 'em up player I am interested in their ability to implement a good combo engine that allows for some creativity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:10 am 

The director apparently worked in Dungeons and Dragons: Tower of Doom.

Looking at their previous efforts I'm not sure they can or want to implement a complex combo system, but I really hope they get above Cadillacs and Dinosaurs complexity this time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:50 am 

Hagane wrote:
The director apparently worked in Dungeons and Dragons: Tower of Doom.

Thanks for the reply. This sounds promising. And I did perhaps overemphasize my desire for a hugely custom combo system, I'm not expecting Melty Blood from this.

Something nice and arcade like would be fine, if this was paced like and had similar depth to D&D Tower of Doom I would be very interested.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:29 pm 

I just finished Princess Crown on PSP a few weeks ago. Overall it's a great game! It's fun with great graphics and a long-ass quest, maybe too long. It took me 33 hours to finish it and that's with a minimal amount of side quests. After the main quest you get access to 3 other character that have different quests and different moves lists.

The game has a lot of content but towards the end the graphics get recycled quite a bit. The final three dungeons basically look identical in every room. The dialogue goes on for too long in many places and the font that's used in the game is ugly-as-sin and hard to read, oh and the music is shit.

I'm interested in getting it on Saturn and playing on an RGB-enabled CRT, especially after the price went down but I can't see myself sinking another 30 hours into that game. Next is Odin Sphere!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:58 pm 

While this topic is bumped, has anyone heard anything concrete about the US release of Grand Knights History? Supposedly it's been held up because Vanillaware has been slow about getting some of the relevant code to Xseed, but if there's been any news on an actual release date (or whether it'll be available anyplace except Amazon) I've missed it...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:51 pm 

Siliconera confirmed recently that until Vanillaware has resources to move away from Dragon's Crown development to work on localizing Grand Knights History, the US version of GKH will be pending. There's no confirmed—or even anticipated—release date from Xseed at the moment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:22 pm 

I own both Odin Sphere and Muramasa and haven't played either yet... I really need to get on that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:50 pm 

Does anyone have a sense of what the production budgets of these games are? Some back-of-the-envelope math suggests to me that it should be something like $3-5 million, but that's based on some extremely fudge-filled assumptions about what various parts might cost.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:52 am 

Sorry, my fellow Americans - Grand Knights History ain't happening for us...and seeing as the PSP is all but dead around here I doubt there'll be a Dragon's Crown-esque eleventh-hour rescue for it.

Supposedly there hasn't been a similar announcement for Europe, though, so if that ends up going through then we might at least be able to import an English-language version of the game...keep your fingers crossed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:56 am 

Gah, saw this yesterday...'tis a damn shame.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:39 pm 

Banned User

Anyone else notice some input lag and sometimes downright unresponsive controls in Muramasa? Many times in the 100 Ninja Battle did I press z multiple times, but the special attack was either delayed or the command just didn't go through at all, causing many unnecessary deaths as I fumbled with it. Thinking it through, I think that has to do with which part of the combo allows you to cancel into it and which parts don't. But I dunno... I doubt it's my Wiimote, though. I put No More Heroes in to test it, and it responds quite quickly to the z button every time it's pressed. Seems like shitty game design on Vanillaware's behalf, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:59 pm 

Necrobump time - seems VW's next project is going in a mech-ish direction.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:15 pm 

Basiscape hype!!!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:44 pm 

KAI wrote:
Basiscape hype!!!!

Nom :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:30 pm 

what?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:00 am 

Here's some Odin Sphere remake/remaster footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3gS7Qj ... e=youtu.be

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:34 pm 

BulletMagnet wrote:
Sorry, my fellow Americans - Grand Knights History ain't happening for us...and seeing as the PSP is all but dead around here I doubt there'll be a Dragon's Crown-esque eleventh-hour rescue for it.

Supposedly there hasn't been a similar announcement for Europe, though, so if that ends up going through then we might at least be able to import an English-language version of the game...keep your fingers crossed.

I know its been a few years since this post, but there is a fan translated version of the game floating about if your psp is able to play isos *ahem*

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Here's some Odin Sphere remake/remaster footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3gS7Qj ... e=youtu.be

Coming along nicely!

Where could I E-mail or mail to if I want to address my ideas and Opinions?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:29 pm 

My big problem with Odin Sphere, was all the going back and forth.

I've read they are fixing that. Was I having a fever dream, or is that accurate?

The vid there looks pretty straightforward.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:23 am 

For anyone who has put some time into Odin's Sphere...how does this look, compared to the old game?

I can't remember much about Odin's Sphere, but Muramasa drove me nuts with it's 3 or so background environments. This has a different background, for every screen.
Are these new backgrounds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-byalrUq_6I

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:41 am 

evil_ash_xero wrote:
For anyone who has put some time into Odin's Sphere...how does this look, compared to the old game?

I can't remember much about Odin's Sphere, but Muramasa drove me nuts with it's 3 or so background environments. This has a different background, for every screen.
Are these new backgrounds?

Yes, I can confirm a lot of those backgrounds are all new. Existing things seem more detailed too.

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next