Charge'N Blast (DC) - help needed

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
lewisit

Charge'N Blast (DC) - help needed

Post by lewisit »

although hated by almost everyone (so it seems) i hope to find at last one person here who could help me with a few questions concerning this game - after all it's kind of a shooter ;)

because i own the japanese-version there are some things i just don't get by reading (or better: looking at) the manual

1) when completing a level there're some points on the score-card that make me wonder:

[special bonus] - what factors do contribute to that?

[perfect bonus] - what is necessary to ever get more than "0 points" in this category? i am pretty sure that i often clear stages off all enemies...

[damage on the stage] - it's written in red (and before the stages a voice warns me not to destroy the buildings)

does it affect the score in any negative way if i burn the city e.a. to the ground? sometimes i get extra health ("amour box") or extra time ("energy cel") for destroying the enviroment so i hope it shouldn't be too bad scorewise to do so?

2) i read about 2 unlockable bonus-characters in the us-version (beating the game on "easy" & on "normal") are both unlockable in the japanese version also?

if so: how? i beat the game on "easy" and got the (really cool) "spread-rocket-guy" just as in the us-version - i also beat the game on "normal" and did not get the (i hope hot) "hyper-laser-girl" ?! :(

3) any other essential hint(s) i need to know about this game?

if someone could please answer that questions or just scan the corresponding pages of the us-manual for me?

thanx :)
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

I want to say that when I 1cc'd the game I recieved a bonus character...on normal. That was a long time ago, however, so I could be mistaken. As for bonuses...I have no idea. I never cared about what or how I blew things up.

Actually a pretty fun game, methinks. I personally see it as a precursor to Gunvalkyrie in both aesthetics and control...though the control makes a lot more sense in this game.

....GODZILLA!!!!!!!!!....
Obiwanshinobi

Re: Charge'N Blast (DC) - help needed

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Suddenly interested in this one, myself. Is the PAL version 60 Hz? Descriptions and gameplay footage vividly reminiscent of Space Raiders, and... Vanquish, perhaps?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

louisg

Post by louisg »

Yeah, I need to revisit this one, too. I remember intensely disliking it when I rented it, but games in this style or so few and far-between. Another game I was thinking about revisiting too was Space Raiders on GameCube. That one got totally panned, and now I don't remember if it was justified or not. I mean, PN03 got panned too, and that game's awesome.

Oh haha I JUST saw Obiwanshinobi mentioned Space Raiders. That's so funny because I've been thinking about that game this week.

EDIT: I'm watching Charge n Blast gameplay footage, and I'm remembering now: I was like, "This isn't Cabal/Blood Brother/Wild Guns! This sucks!".. but it looks like it has a strategic style all its own that might be really fun if I gave it a chance. I wonder if other reviewers who gave it low marks thought the same thing-- like thinking you're taking a swig of milk and getting orange juice instead.
Humans, think about what you have done
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

This recent review seems pretty just to me. The writer marks it down for what it is rather than what it's not.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

bottino

Post by bottino »

I've played Charge'N Blast for a reasonable amount of time and even cleared it's harder modes; it's a really simple and short game, but can be quite fun, especially with a friend.

I still have my old save file stored on one of my VMUs, so I'll see if I can fire up the game later to help jog my memory and drop one or two lines about it.