Ninja Gaiden Sigma

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
quash

Re: Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Post by quash »

zinger wrote:Is NGII broken in the same way as NG1, namely that you can grind bats for as much essence you'll ever need, which eliminates pretty much any challenge from the game? I still love NG for everything it is, but it would be so much better without being able to stock up an infinite supply of potions.
All the potions in the world aren't going to save you if you refuse to learn how to play the game well. Some bosses will straight up murder you if you don't position yourself well and play defense.

I was almost finished with my Lunar Staff only playthrough on Mentor, when my 360 hard drive decided to shit the bed. So now I have to go through both difficulties again before I can finally play 360 NGII on Master Ninja.

I don't think I will ever play Sigma 2 again. I beat it on the hardest difficulty available without clearing the game and it was easier than 360 NGII on Warrior.
zinger

Post by zinger »

Uh, the NG bosses difficult? Not on the default difficulty setting at least. I kind of fell out of love with the game for being too easy, just at the end of it (that, and also because the stage designs toward the end weren't as good as in the first half of the game -- which I absolutely loved), and stopped playing, but I will definitely try Black and Master Ninja mode next time I'm in the mood for 3D ninja action.
SOUNDSHOCK
quash

Post by quash »

You definitely need to play on higher difficulties lol. Otherwise, you will not appreciate why the game is how it is. I cleared NGB on Master Ninja years ago and it changed how I see 3D action games.

Especially in the case of NGII do you need to play on higher difficulties, because the levels are designed around having more enemies on screen than most games do.
zinger

Post by zinger »

Great, looking forward to it! :)
SOUNDSHOCK
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Spartan Total Warriors is not in the same league as NG.... I mean not even close, remotely, in any way. Well in a joking way it could.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Look, see how Sam Fisher is animated in Splinter Cell, as old as the first one (2002, best-sampled on PC where 60 fps should be possible), as he grabs onto and climbs along ledges, then see the analogous animation in Ninja Gaiden and think how much it would hurt the latter if Ryu Hayabusa moved more gracefully at least in that specific situation.

P.S. Nowhere near 60 fps I'm afraid but there you have it. I found it pretty benchmark in its time.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
qmish

Post by qmish »

So, how bad sigma versions are? 30 fps, cutted down enemy count?
quash

Post by quash »

Ninja Gaiden Sigma is great, actually. It looks a lot better than Black and has a bunch of bonus content.

Sigma 2, on the other hand, is a cut-down version of NG2 with far less enemies and a strange approach to rebalancing the game around it. There's more one hit death situations than NG2, but they're also pretty easy to avoid once you know what to look for. It does have a few stages with different playable characters, but past that it is really hard to make a case for it over the original.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I read Sigma 2's framerates (on PS3) are better and online co-op can be fun.
The way out is cut off

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Sigma 2 also reportedly has less graphical effects.

To be quite honest, I find the huge mobs in NG II to be somewhat tiresome to fight, so I'll end up picking up the Sigma editions someday. But the original NG II is still a thing of beauty, I need to get back to it.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Sigma 2 also reportedly has less graphical effects.
...and some effects absent from 2 as well, I read.
Funny how some of those PS3 stills resemble Valkyrie Profile 2 I've been revisiting of late (on a 15'' RGB CRT, no less) to me. Soft light galore upon luxury doll models...
The way out is cut off

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Haha, the PS3 version of the Venice intro cutscene is just sad. Not just in number of characters, but in lighting as well.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I actually though the lighting overall looked better in the PS3 version.
qmish

Post by qmish »

But they removed reflective floors?