Bubble Memories... 7 Potions... How?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
CecilMcW00t

Bubble Memories... 7 Potions... How?

Post by CecilMcW00t »

I just completed the game with a friend and got the bad ending. What is the method to getting the potions I need so we can get to the last 10 rounds? Does anyone have an idea?

A faq on Gamefaqs.com said to beat the game on one credit, but then he later mentioned that this wasn't necessary (thank gawd!).
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
99pence

Post by 99pence »

You just need Bub or Bob to touch them where they are invisible and they appear. They are in the same place in each level everytime. You need 3 little ones to get one big one which will be in the big chest after you clear the boss.

Easily the best Bubble Bobble game. It's the shocking backgrounds that puts people off.
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

Oh! Ok, I get it now. Thanks a lot!

This is my favorite Bubble Bobble game. I especially like the bosses and power ups. My friend and I were having some good laughs at the enemy and boss designs.
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
99pence

Post by 99pence »

No probs.

Also if you don't lose a life by level 7? a secret door will appear and you'll be able to collect the globe in the secret room which for a while (or if you lose a life or something) will show the potions locations when you start a level.
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

99pence wrote:You just need Bub or Bob to touch them where they are invisible and they appear. They are in the same place in each level everytime. You need 3 little ones to get one big one which will be in the big chest after you clear the boss.

Easily the best Bubble Bobble game. It's the shocking backgrounds that puts people off.
I just tried the 3 potion theory out and a large potion appears from the boss chest regardless, as long as you get one, which is as much as I could find for every round before a boss incidently.

EDIT: I am very confident that hidden potions only appear on the levels where the large potion is shown during the level loading(which per round only happens once) and that alone triggers the large potion from boss chest.

I think it's a really good Bubble Bobble game although it doesn't quite hook me as well as Bubble Symphony (which I've been playing a lot lately). I know in that game it's easier to find the musical notes (much like potions) and at least you see the benefits of finding all 6 before every boss much sooner than in Bubble Memories (but perhaps I haven't played it enough to find out the secrets/benefits). Most notable is accessing the golden doors in order for bonus points and a crystal ball which allows you see any future notes. I do know that you need 3 notes in order to get a key, of which 4 are required along with the R,U, & P bubbles to get the special ending. Geez, all this talk about Bubble Symphony makes me want to play some more A-Route. :lol:
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
99pence

Post by 99pence »

Sorry yeah I was getting mixed up. You only need one and they appear ever 5th world level. ie 5, 15, 25. Or yeah like you say just as the enemies fly across the screen with the big potion at the start of the level with the potion icon.

I'm not a fan of Bubble Symphony myself or even the original.
Sumez

Re: Bubble Memories... 7 Potions... How?

Post by Sumez »

Been trying to scour the internet for resources on Bubble Memories, but for some reason this game has to be the most secret arcade game ever released, or at least for a Taito game, and an entry in an otherwise popular series. Whenever I mention the game, most people's reactions are "I love Bubble Bobble, but I never heard of this game", and even in a YouTube age where every basement dwelling AVGN/Gamegrumps wannabe is going out of their way to dig up obscure, shitty famicom exclusives, just to be the first on the internet to cover them, NO ONE seems to talk about this gem of a game! And when they do (in the 3 or 4 written articles I could find), half the information is incorrect.

And of course, lo and behold, my search takes me in a complete circle back to this forum, which manages reinforce its position as the single best English speaking resource on arcade games of any genre. More specifically, I'm referring to this godsend of a thread - but decided to necromance this one up instead, since it's specifically focused on Bubble Memories.
Ex-Cyber wrote: FWIW, the following strings all occur in the same general area (in this order):

EXTRA MODE
ORIGINAL MODE
SUPER MODE
HUMAN CHANGE
POWER UP
ORIGINAL GAME
SOUND RESET
ROUND SELECT
So apparently, there are possibly two modes in this game that are still unaccounted for. Ex-Cyber managed to find the "Round select" code, which makes it the only place on the internet that code seems to have been discovered, with the exception of this site which lists an alternate way to access it.

Providing this sprite rip is "complete" (it omits the bosses, but it includes an unused, unfinished version of the statue in super mode's first secret room), there are no ingame sprites of Bub and Bob in their human form, so I'd say it's likely that "Human change" was dummied out before the game's release, but one can hope. However, since the original Bubble Bobble theme is actually in the game (used in the practice modes), I wouldn't be surprised if "Sound reset" is a code to make it play in the story mode, like Bubble Symphony has. The name seems to indicate some kind of debug thing, but then why label it as a mode?

I'd also love to figure out if there's an intended way to enable "Extra mode" on a real cartridge without hacking the hardware. I've dabbed in the MAME debugger before, but I'm scared to dig into a game from 1996 which I'd assume is probably compiled from C code and, judging by the other thread, has a ton of built in copy protection. Are any of the people with experience in F3 hacking still around here, or does anyone know where to find them?

I'd like to try out Extra mode if anyone still has the nvram file (the link is dead) - by the descriptions given in that thread, I have no idea what it actually does.