shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:31 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1390 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47
 Post subject: Re: ... and it made me smile.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:11 pm 

Yeah, that baffled me as well, especially when he picked fucking Deadly Towers. I'd get it if they were PC ports since he's a historian/masochist of sorts, playing almost everything, even seemingly awful German games and google translating them as he goes, but to just randomly pick these games to test JRPGs is pretty bonkers.

Ahh, oh well. I guess I'm not much inline with his gaming tastes anyhow; I primarily find most of what he plays interesting from a reading and historical point, as I have no desire to play most early grindy, cruel, and almost narrative-less CPRGs covered on the blog.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:37 pm 

There is a certain charm to older RPGs where the focus is on creating a party of your own and getting lost in a no-frills, harrowing world where you're allowed to simply explore and roam a cruel and unforgiving landscape, rather than a more linear, narrative-driven RPG. But they're definitely not something I can binge myself on either.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:48 pm 

I can't even imagine thinking Zelda is weeb kawaii art.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:55 pm 

The guy's been pretty open about disliking anime art in general. Another reason why I find it so strange of him to have picked Zelda. He even uses a picture of Link as an example of the kind of art he hates!

Quote:
I have a confession to make that will probably turn off some of my readers: I hate Japanese animation. Hate it, hate it, hate it. This is nothing against the Japanese. It's not a racial thing. I have known and loved many Japanese people. I just wish they wouldn't try to draw stuff.

Quote:
These images make my physically ill. Why? I don't know why. It's not like they all look the same, but all of them are incontestably Japanese (in style, not in ethnicity). It's something to do with the eyes, noses, and chins--and definitely the hair. (Are there no short-haired men in Japan?) Maybe it's because anime characters never really look Japanese: they look like Caucasians drawn by people who don't spend much time around Caucasians. Maybe it's the odd agelessness of the characters, so that female figures you're supposed to be attracted to look uncannily like children. Maybe it's just the fact that no one actually looks like this, and yet there's an entire industry devoted to churning out these images. Whatever the cause, thankfully this paragraph is now long enough that the preceding image has been pushed off the top of the screen and I no longer have to look at it.

It doesn't help that at least three of the "Japanese RPGs" he played for his blog were eroge, and that one of those eroge happened to be Rance. You'd think he would have learned to be more careful and take cues from people who know the genre better than he does.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Last edited by WelshMegalodon on Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:54 pm 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
There is a certain charm to older RPGs where the focus is on creating a party of your own and getting lost in a no-frills, harrowing world where you're allowed to simply explore and roam a cruel and unforgiving landscape, rather than a more linear, narrative-driven RPG. But they're definitely not something I can binge myself on either.

You have evoked memories of playing The Bard's Tale on my friends Apple II.

Also didn't know it was you until I saw the name.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:12 am 

WelshMegalodon wrote:

It doesn't help that at least three of the "Japanese RPGs" he played for his blog were eroge, and that one of those eroge happened to be Rance. You'd think he would have learned to be more careful and take cues from people who know the genre better than he does.

This is high comedy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:07 pm 

The experimental short (animation) films by Gobelins school of images. Like, these ones: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:56 pm 

When you are trying to help someone help themselves and it finally clicks for them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:15 am 

After a weekend of NeoGeo World Tour watching, I shamefacedly realised I'd become the nerd equivalent of my terminal couch potato uncle. GO BEARS I, uh, I played in college. Bum wrist. Srsly. *hic*

Actually I can't contain my perverted mirth at all the "risky DPs." ATHENA'S GOING FOR A RISKY DP Image Now MATURE is going for a risky DP! :shock: More like Saigado Nihon Kikaku! Image

Also, NWS for entirely different reasons, the most indecent beatdown I witnessed. Your boss will be appalled by this Iori x Daimon x Clark action. :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:58 am 

This would probably be the image if you looked up "self-defeating" in a dictionary.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1390 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47