... and it made me smile.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Steamflogger Boss

Re: ... and it made me smile.

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

When you've been waiting for something for a long time (14 years in this case) and it fuckin delivers the gooooods.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Can't believe I missed out on this crazy story about an ultra-rare Sundance arcade machine .. https://arcadeblogger.com/2016/06/03/ci ... -sundance/

Highly entertaining.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:When you've been waiting for something for a long time (14 years in this case) and it fuckin delivers the gooooods.
Drugs? Scotch? Moar specificz pleaz.
My lord, I have come for you.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Udderdude wrote:Can't believe I missed out on this crazy story about an ultra-rare Sundance arcade machine .. https://arcadeblogger.com/2016/06/03/ci ... -sundance/

Highly entertaining.
Holy shit. :shock: This is what aging manchildren communities become when they rot.
A prototype of all of society in the future when food and water will start to miss.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

"I raided a crackhouse for an ultra-rare arcade machine" isn't something you get to put in your diary every day. :lol:
Steamflogger Boss

Stevens wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:When you've been waiting for something for a long time (14 years in this case) and it fuckin delivers the gooooods.
Drugs? Scotch? Moar specificz pleaz.
Lol!

The third album from a metal supergroup.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Xyga wrote:
Udderdude wrote:Can't believe I missed out on this crazy story about an ultra-rare Sundance arcade machine .. https://arcadeblogger.com/2016/06/03/ci ... -sundance/

Highly entertaining.
Holy shit. :shock: This is what aging manchildren communities become when they rot.
A prototype of all of society in the future when food and water will start to miss.
He got the stealing it part right, but didn't know how to keep his mouth shut. If he kept it shut he still has the machine.
My lord, I have come for you.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Stevens wrote:
Xyga wrote:

Highly entertaining.
He got the stealing it part right, but didn't know how to keep his mouth shut. If he kept it shut he still has the machine.
Yeah, but I say fuck the wormy little hall monitor who reported him.

Technically it was stolen, but if the building really was a crackhouse then in reality that cab was abandoned.

I mean it's not like the pile of oranges being destroyed in "Grapes of Wrath," but it's still the kind of story that makes you ask questions about whether maintenance of property rights is the highest moral authority.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Also:

Obligatory.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

This guy's awesome way to spice up his Christmas gifting:

https://twitter.com/TwoClawsMedia/statu ... 4485633025
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I've just discovered that the Kunio-Kun World Collection is free for all PS+ subscribers in Asia. Along with the Kunio games, it includes the three Double Dragon games from the NES.

This make me very happy :D
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

The crossover event nobody asked for ..

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

A somewhat notable Japanese Doujin Shmup Dev (to the point of being discussed here on one of the comitek threads) leaving a twitter like on the video I posted of the new bomb laser animation in my game.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Well-earned! Like a hypersonic brick through the space-time window... punishing Gun Frontier-style thermal shockwave lives on. Image
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Thanks BIL <3

Currently working on adding in a Gun Frontier style blast as a sort of delayed aftershock, but the little explosion sprites are still placeholders atm (unlike the beam itself, which is finished!).
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Patsy the border collie saved a shit-ton of sheep from death by fire, which is cool, but what I really like is this cute yet METAL AF photo!

"I shall want you within the week!"

Probably less cute if it's your shit burning down ofc! Sheeit. :o
Steamflogger Boss

BIL

Post by BIL »

A versatile classic Image
BurlyHeart wrote:I've just discovered that the Kunio-Kun World Collection is free for all PS+ subscribers in Asia. Along with the Kunio games, it includes the three Double Dragon games from the NES.

Missed this post - that's a lot of great games! I highly recommend DD1 NES, it seems to be known as a button-masher these days but it's actually got a nice little system going on. Actually does some things better than its more celebrated (and genuinely excellent) sequel.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

BIL wrote:A versatile classic Image
BurlyHeart wrote:I've just discovered that the Kunio-Kun World Collection is free for all PS+ subscribers in Asia. Along with the Kunio games, it includes the three Double Dragon games from the NES.

Missed this post - that's a lot of great games! I highly recommend DD1 NES, it seems to be known as a button-masher these days but it's actually got a nice little system going on. Actually does some things better than its more celebrated (and genuinely excellent) sequel.
I'm really looking forward to DD1 & DD2. I'd heard mixed reports on DD3 but watched Austin play it on stream and it didn't look too bad at all. I'll go into it blind and see how it goes, but I'll definitely be checking out your posts at some stage.

Got to get back to DD2 arcade and finish it first though... :oops:
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Reading this physically hurt me and I don't even like Zelda particularly much as a series.

this didn't make me smile at all
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Steamflogger Boss

Is that satire? It reads like satire...
drauch

Post by drauch »

I read that blog frequently and saw that and rolled my eyes. I think he's just got old dude syndrome and can't understand anything outside his norm, which is an insane amount of dungeon crawlers. Kinda hypocritical that he can't stand Link's onscreen image, yet most of the older games he plays have insanely goofy looking avatars--but it's okay, they're adult warriors and wizards n' shit. Also he plays every game without the music, which I think is the sign of a serial killer.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

When a "review" begins with a 10 page personal anecdote it really make me lose any interest to continue reading.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

drauch wrote:Also he plays every game without the music, which I think is the sign of a serial killer.
I rather enjoyed reading his playthroughs... his posts were never super serious in-depth game analysis, but it was amusing to see him writing and talking about the games.

His cringey old dude syndrome, where he's upset at Zelda and describes how Link is drawn as "kawaii character style" is pretty bad in a sad but unintentionally hilarious kind of way. The artwork is anime but sure as heck not "kawaii"... I think he just doesn't know how to describe that he dislikes cartoony/anime characters. Those were a pretty big staple of the NES era and his confusion about what constitutes a traditional turn based RPG vs a more action adventure style of game like Hydlide or Zelda suggests he may not have ever seriously played NES games. And let's be honest, there were plenty more esoteric CRPGs made out there with plenty of "how are you supposed to know to find this" sort of stuff, so if it weren't for The Legend of Zelda being a real-time action game, this sort of explore-at-your-own-pace action adventure game should be right up his alley. If he were being intellectually honest he'd just admit that he's not good at real-time action games and thus prefers turn-based RPGs and leave the review at that.

Instead, he admits to having to resort to save stating his way to "victory", claims he got "the experience [he] was looking for" and yet it "was mostly negative".
Nonetheless, I got the experience I was looking for, which was mostly negative.
Last time I checked, videogames weren't designed to be an exercise in self-loathing masochism, not sure why he'd proclaim this as the experience he was looking for.

The annoyance over stuff like the tediousness of finding secrets with the blue candle and your limited bombs is legit though. That's one of the weaker elements of the game, it's really time consuming checking every single tree and rock face. It's what we had to grow up with, though I do really appreciate the feature in later games where you can find bombable walls by tapping with your sword.

And oh no, I found the post you're talking about where he mentions hating music:
The things I like about CRPGs may not be the same things you like. For instance, I don't care much about graphics. All I ask is that, as I put in my list, they're not distractingly bad. I care even less about music. I know that game developers pay composers and musicians to record extensive soundtracks for their games, but one of the first things I almost always do when firing up a new game is turn the music off.
Genuinely upsetting to read that last sentence, and all this has rather soured me on reading his blog ever again. I feel really bad for people who aren't just physically deaf, but actually have functional ears but are simply tone deaf and/or have absolutely zero appreciation for music.

I suspect it may also be that music playing constantly doesn't allow him to pretend his RPGs are gritty, realistic fantasy escapism or something.

Also, this reeks of "old man yells at cloud" sort of material:

Apparently he thinks gaming should be exclusively an adult activity with absolutely no marketing towards kids at all on a console aimed at being enjoyed by all ages. And Link (who's an elf and could be hundreds of years old for all we know) looks too young and therefore the game sucks.

Let's all be inspired by his cautionary tale and make an effort to grow up to be functional, well-adjusted adults in our old age instead of crotchety and unpleasant.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Hooboy, that review really should've been posted in the "Stuff that pisses me off" thread.

http://www.simonweckert.com/googlemapshacks.html

So this guy loaded up a little cart full of used smartphones and set them all to Google Maps. End result - everywhere he goes with it, Google thinks there's a massive traffic jam. :lol:
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

I mean, he has mentioned numerous times in the past that he has no love for arcade-style action and prefers games that don't rely on reflexes. Case in point. What I don't understand is why he chose to play this game. Honestly, all of the guy's console pickings have been so bafflingly off the mark (Deadly Towers? The first Dragon Quest, the most tedious of them all?) that one would almost think he was doing it out of spite. He has no reason to be as clueless about console games (or Japanese-made games) as he is given how many people have laid out the ones they want to see him review and the ones he would be most likely to actually enjoy.

Rather than give games like MegaTen and DQIV an honest chance, or Star Cruiser and Langrisser the attention they deserve, he chooses to sabotage his own console gameplay experience. I don't get it.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah, that baffled me as well, especially when he picked fucking Deadly Towers. I'd get it if they were PC ports since he's a historian/masochist of sorts, playing almost everything, even seemingly awful German games and google translating them as he goes, but to just randomly pick these games to test JRPGs is pretty bonkers.

Ahh, oh well. I guess I'm not much inline with his gaming tastes anyhow; I primarily find most of what he plays interesting from a reading and historical point, as I have no desire to play most early grindy, cruel, and almost narrative-less CPRGs covered on the blog.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

There is a certain charm to older RPGs where the focus is on creating a party of your own and getting lost in a no-frills, harrowing world where you're allowed to simply explore and roam a cruel and unforgiving landscape, rather than a more linear, narrative-driven RPG. But they're definitely not something I can binge myself on either.