shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:16 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: ... and it made me smile.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:43 am 

Saying a game "did not age well" is possibly the worst ignorant non-argument in games jurnalizm

Also Contra/Castlevania/Ninja Gaiden.
Attacking them all at once huh? Jesus.
The ninja taskforce/ side scroll badasses must be triggerino.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:53 am 

Yeah, a trigger warning could have been useful there.

Blinge wrote:
Saying a game "did not age well" is possibly the worst ignorant non-argument in games jurnalizm

Holy shit yeah. It's basically the equivalent of saying "I was wrong about the game, but refuse to ever admit it". I've argued this so many times, and although people are just as ready to defend this as their ability to fully enjoy an action game that they savestated their way through ("because they live busy lives"), I've never heard a solid argument to defend the term.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:07 pm 

I'd argue Ducktales actually is flawless, if you want a short, fast, technically satisfying yet harmless sidescroller with just the tiniest hints of resistance. It's a hard act to get right! Lots of other similarly soft-assed sidescrollers didn't! Image I liek 2 clear it w/best ending, make me feel most successful and accomplished retro gamer. Mustn't hurt those feels, that's the mark of a game that's aged very badly! Where's my participation trophy, motherfucker.

Punch Out, though? Rote memoriser that's nigh-unplayable sans rehearsal, yet so predictable and limited it can literally be cleared blindfolded? Aww yeeuh - that graceful aging, that first-tier NES. Yo I like Punch Out for what it is, but very odd pick for an otherwise downy-soft, effort-optional first tier.

But it has pretty grafx AND passwords for when you get your ass handed to you - very modern! And if you're bad at recognising and repeating simple patterns, like most gamers, you'll probably maintain the illusion there's something more going on upstairs, too! To play internet shrink, I imagine the result is quite the mongoloid scrub pacifier. First tier.

What am I doing. Where do you find these assholes. :lol:
Rhetorical question. I know where to find these assholes. :oops:

Blinge wrote:
The ninja taskforce/ side scroll badasses must be triggerino.

Burinju pls! :V waste of muhfuckin time tbh!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:29 am 

I'd argue Ducktales actually has a lot of flaws. A ton of them, even. It feels like a bunch of ideas that should have gone into a full game, but since they were working on a license, they just threw it out there, and the game feels extremely unfinished, and completely unbalanced (an violently lacking) in terms of difficulty. One obvious example is repeating the vampire castle as the final stage - not just the act of repeating a stage, but choosing one that's essentially a huge stage simplified by the fact that it's designed like a maze, and taking the right path will beat it in a matter of seconds. Why is it even there?
A few of the flaws were fixed in Ducktales 2, but I would rather have sacrificed both of those games for a single full Capcom experience taking everything that made those games good, and making a real challenging and bigger game out of it with less flawed level design.

They are still good games, but they give a hint of something much better that could have existed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:07 am 

Oh god yeah, the finish is awful. Total formality. The moon's the last stage imo.

I think the rest is genuinely really good though, but then again with these soft-ass games it's basically gimme a fun bouncy-bouncy mechanic, some enemies to use it on, and don't waste ma muhfuckin time. :V Generally there's always something onscreen to bop, or a pit to hop, or cash to spawn & grab up - often doing all three in sequence, sometimes lengthy ones. For such an easy game it's very pacey.

DT2 was a big step down on all counts imo, becoming just another dull, easier FC sidescroller. The various new mechanics aren't particularly fun compared to the pogo... well I guess the hook would be okay, given the right stage designs. The block pulling/breaking can eat a dick though - holy fuck, that one screenload of blocks to slowly hack through! I ain't interested!

Makes me wish they'd innovated with vertical scrolling, that's the next step I'd have liked to see for the bounce mechanic. Extended vertical pogo/hook climbing. As for the stages, its hidden "XTREEM" area is about as lively as the first's Amazon... the regulars are just tired by comparison. It's like after the consistently hopping/bopping first game, they totally neglected little old me for some dumb treasure hunt and slower-paced action.

tldr: THEY FOOKIN RUINED IT FOR ME (・`W´・)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:40 pm 

That's one thing I liked about Duck Tales Remastered. Instead of repeating the Transylvania stage, there is a brand new final stage. As far as Duck Tales 2 goes, I like GB version better than the NES. I found the level designs to be better in that version. It's funny. GB and NES Duck Tales are reversed in which I like better. On NES, Duck Tales > Duck Tales 2. On GB, Duck Tales 2 > Duck Tales. The GB Duck Tales 1 isn't bad, but it suffers from cramped screen space.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:15 pm 

BIL wrote:
if you want a short, fast, technically satisfying yet harmless sidescroller with just the tiniest hints of resistance.

This right here if why you need to play Kung Fu Kid.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:37 pm 

And all of a sudden, the bore that is #metoo gets very interesting. :twisted:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/03/opin ... angry.html

Did Tarantino's punchbag . . . . ahem, I mean "muse", just do what I think she did? :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:06 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_v1h6Zoi-Q

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:11 pm 

Spoiler: show

Point Break x Initial D ( :lol: )

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:11 am 

Dreamed that I had bought a wing suit that allowed for actual flight with minimal effort, not just gliding...

Customized with the Panzer Dragoon Orta logo...

and that played the music for the first level of the original Panzer Dragoon. 8)

In 1995, Clinton got his dick sucked.
In 2018, Trump sucked Putin's.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:16 pm 

Had a solid night of sleep without waking up every hour or so the first time in a week

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:22 pm 

Watching Starman ride his Tesla in orbit live now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2p55BmwmJM
Thank you Elon for showing how random and useless a species we are, but fuck it, this is fun to watch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:46 am 

I love the idea of the Deadpool movie more than I loved the actual movie itself, but the new trailer for the sequel is such a breath of fresh air in this age of self-important live-action Saturday Morning Cartoon movies.

Spoiler: show
The gravelly voiced-hero giving a slow faux-profound monologue about the nature of true existence with a Carmina Burana-esque score gives way to action figures in a child's shoebox bonking into each other.

Stop taking this so seriously, dorks!

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:10 pm 

Headhunter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MdBytZGY-c

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:32 am 

I just heard a loud belch from downstairs across the house. Sometimes it's the simplest things. :lol:
You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:14 pm 

I knew about the Dutch being tall, riding bicycles, smoking high quality pot and going absolutely everywhere on vacation, but that just blew me away;

http://youtu.be/upW2guY3v6A

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:27 pm 

Lol, what the hell. How does something like that even happen? Are some executives somewhere just testing the waters for how far they can go?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:34 pm 

Reminds of the time in the late 80's when the Swiss media spread a story of Portuguese black immigrants going on a stealing spree around the country: said immigrants were actually from an African country which i don't recall the name, although i know it wasn't at any point a Portuguese colony, and no one at the time had any knowledge of said stealing sprees.
Far-right ignorant nationalist pissed off at foreigners coming to do the jobs they don't like to do? Lack of news to sell newspapers? The mystery continues. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:26 pm 

Xyga wrote:
I knew about the Dutch being tall, riding bicycles, smoking high quality pot and going absolutely everywhere on vacation, but that just blew me away;

http://youtu.be/upW2guY3v6A

It's true. We also regularly open the dams and dykes to flood our cities as part of a routine emergency training exercise where everyone must be able to swim their way to the surface while keeping their belongings and family secure, in case of an emergency when our dams will one day break and flood our cities, as the weak are culled from the gene pool. It's also why Dutchmen are so tall on average, selective breeding is implicitly encouraged to breed longer babies so their odds at survival may increase during a flood. Shorter people are also routinely bullied out of the country for their own safety.

Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:01 pm 

Durandal wrote:
Shorter people are also routinely bullied out of the country for their own safety.

I knew it. This explains a lot about France and Wallonia.

edit: Anyway that's alright, there's a reason why the wildest rides in amusement parks have a minimum height, we understand.

Also it came to my mind that when the sea and the canals are frozen solid, polar bears might jump the dams and invade the city.
I can imagine that if youre taller your chances of survival are better while fighting them bare-handed, because a polar bear standing up if freaking yuge.
(yeah fighting because if you forgot to wear ice skates there's no way you're going to outrun it)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 pm 

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/15/sh ... ring-2018/
No fucking way, it's really coming. :lol:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:10 pm 

soprano1 wrote:
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/02/15/shaq-fu-legend-reborn-will-arrive-spring-2018/
No fucking way, it's really coming. :lol:

What

the

HELL?????

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:08 am 

Well, let the nostalgia goobs rejoice and waste their money. Will look great sitting next to the recent Bubsy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:13 am 

Yeah, what's with the recent cash-ins on reviving terrible game properties? It's depressing that it actually seems to be working for them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:29 pm 

Thanks to a crossword puzzle I learned that "Marisa Tomei" is an anagram of "It's-a-me, Mario!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:43 pm 

BulletMagnet wrote:
Thanks to a crossword puzzle I learned that "Marisa Tomei" is an anagram of "It's-a-me, Mario!"

Speaking of anagrams, your post made me think of this

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:47 pm 

RLRBS wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:

Speaking of anagrams, your post made me think of this

That video is amazing. :lol:
You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:48 am 

Saw someone with Down Syndrome on Wheel of Fortune a day or two ago. I just loved how he wasn't given any special treatment at all, he wasn't talked down to or anything, he was just another regular contestant on the show.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:53 am 

Lord Satori wrote:
Saw someone with Down Syndrome on Wheel of Fortune a day or two ago. I just loved how he wasn't given any special treatment at all, he wasn't talked down to or anything, he was just another regular contestant on the show.

It's sad that a situation like that is an exception, and not the norm. Maybe someday.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 44  Next