shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:23 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45
 Post subject: Re: ... and it made me smile.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:47 pm 

BIL wrote:
__SKYe wrote:
I'd be careful if I were you BIL, someday he'll realize that it was the thrashing he got because of NG that lead to this string of misfortunes and he'll come for you. :o

Oh no don't worry, we're actually like five or six items down the list, and from what I can tell, we're actually relatively ok in his book - not evil, just crazy. :mrgreen: HG101 is the devil now, with TV Tropes and NeoGAF surely not far behind. :lol:

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Holy fuck that was a rabbit hole.

I know right? Link after link and hit after hit! Image

Yep. I wasn't around for that stuff. Made me laugh. At one point in his video he talks about how he always ends up getting ran off a forum for essentially the same reason. Really makes you think tbh.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:52 pm 

Also, perhaps it's a little bold of me - but for homegrown farm crazy, I would put The Sky Boy Affair *almost* on par with the unparalleled dimension-reaving saurian madness of 4D LIZARDMEN FROM GLASGOW.

Obviously it can't equal that one, though, because unlike Edmans' feverishly imagined pony courtroom drama... that stuff actually happened. Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:18 pm 

BIL wrote:
Also, perhaps it's a little bold of me - but for homegrown farm crazy, I would put The Sky Boy Affair *almost* on par with the unparalleled dimension-reaving saurian madness of 4D LIZARDMEN FROM GLASGOW.

Obviously it can't equal that one, though, because unlike Edmans' feverishly imagined pony courtroom drama... that stuff actually happened. Image

OP posts in what appears to be English but it isn't really English. Truly remarkable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:32 pm 

BIL wrote:
Obviously nothing can actually surpass that one, though, because unlike Edmans' feverishly imagined pony courtroom drama... that stuff actually happened. Image

That was way out there. The NG stuff was mild -- hell, downright cold -- compared to that. I'm all for discussing whatever interests you, even getting in the occasional heated debate, but to get so caught up on an internet discussion with some dude across the Atlantic that you end up writing a fanfic about him is something else. I previously said he must have a lot of time on his hands, but even that doesn't explain the "essay".

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
OP posts in what appears to be English but it isn't really English. Truly remarkable.

I don't know, man. It's Scotland, so he probably had a few too many drinks; trying to buy games while inebriated can lead to some surprising results. :)

Also,
ckm wrote:
i don't find it funny that some occult-abusing scumbags stole £20.00 or a game off of me,

You'd think that occultists with teleportation abilities would steal something worth a little more than £20. Maybe they really wanted Shiki II. :)

EDIT: Oh damn, he actually used the term "4D lizard scum". :shock:
I have to admit: I'm here for the games, but this forum occasionally gives birth to absolute gold.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:41 pm 

Tbf Castle Shikigami 2 is a great game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:45 pm 

But worth exposing your 4D occultist lizardman identity to the world?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:37 am 

__SKYe wrote:
EDIT: Oh damn, he actually used the term "4D lizard scum". :shock:
I have to admit: I'm here for the games, but this forum occasionally gives birth to absolute gold

I'm shortlisting THE DOMINATOR CULTURE for the title of R2RKMF Part VI :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:19 am 

Stevens wrote:
The same happened to Movies and Photos and my Docs and other files… And it’s great! Games are no different. Eventually all of our games will be safely in the cloud too and we’ll feel great about it.

I stopped buying movies on DVDs and Bluray for a while after we got Netflix.
Then after realizing that 90% of the movies I randomly feel like watching aren't there, and 70-80% of the movies I've already spotted on Netflix are also gone from the service once I feel like putting them on, it was quickly made clear that relying on services like that is a terrible disservice to the movie artform.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:34 am 

Oh sorry, I missed the hole edmond dantes thing... Damn, what a farce. Always be wary of anyone who uses the term "SJW" unironically.

EDIT: If someone wants to give the guy money, he has a PayPal donation thing set up for some reason:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:11 pm 

It's probably funding for... REVENGE!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:06 pm 

Footage from the 80s of Bernie Sanders chatting up some goths at the mall... and one of said goths as a present-day grownup reacting to the old footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXirP-QwNrY

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:32 pm 

Saw this: https://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/sem ... crets-bare

...and the first thing I thought was whether we can now get Cave emulation slowdown right... My colleagues weren't amused, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:06 pm 

As for cameos of shmups or developers, I'm sure e.g. the appearance of Pipiru (Toaplan's mascot) at the end of the Donpachi 2-ALL, or the Tatsujin ship in Out Zone/Tatsujin Oh, are well-known.

Today I've learned of another Toaplan-related cameo, being the game Dogyuun!, appearing in Batsugun with its name on the rockets the GROUND OF THE GARAXY dumps on you (that boss always reminds me of an organ).

Which made me smile, as its onomatopoeic nature is sort of fittingly applied here :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:44 pm 

Ground of the Gal/raxy (either works!) is such a badass name for an endboss. Image Also st3's MAD STEEL DARKNESS and his BGM PSYCHO PARANOIA

On the subject of cameos/self-references by esteemed STG devs, I was going to post this in an ancient main forum thread, but all its image links are long dead. :sad: So this is as good a place as any! Newschool IREM paying tribute to the M72 classics:

YUSHI COPS
Spoiler: show

These fine young hoodlums were just trying to enjoy a bootleg R-Type superplay on their post-apocalyptic monitor when the cops ruined their shit. :evil:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:03 pm 

Damn, I had never noticed that R-Type reference. :o
It actually got me thinking about other games that cheekily tout their own companies's games. One that comes to mind is Bare Knuckle 2, on the first stage, where one of the punks is 'playing' an arcade version of BK.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:27 pm 

I'm semi-seriously convinced that Metal Storm is a stealth R-Type Gaiden. :mrgreen: There's the armada of Huge Battleships in the planet-killer's shipyard, and the whole "berserk AI" plot is rather Bydo.

EDITL: Or maybe the AI knew what humanity was getting up to, and wanted to snuff 'em out before the "man-made nightmare" could be unleashed upon the galaxy. :shock:

Also, the fifth boss's three ray weapons are conspicuously R-Typey. Granted, lots of IREM STG weapons are, but I can't help noticing the blue one is a direct lift of the Surface-to-Air/Blue type! Dig the "R-75" decal, too. :cool:

OFC most of the IREM science-fiction themed STGs seem to enjoy a lot of crossover, just like Konami and Tecno Soft's (to name a couple more iconic STG houses). Gallop is in Final's official timeline, IIRC, and Delta has prominent references to Image Fight and X-Multiply. Gradius Gaiden is chock full of references to wider Konami STG canon, too. This is something I enjoy about minimalist arcade-influenced storytelling, you can infer a nice little mythos with the smallest of nods between works.

I still harbor similar headcanon about Blast Wind being the secret Thunder Force Zero, with a vanquished GORN dropping the "G" and becoming the genocidal AI of the TF series. Image

Last edited by BIL on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:35 pm 

BIL wrote:

These fine young hoodlums were just trying to enjoy a bootleg R-Type superplay on their post-apocalyptic monitor when the cops ruined their shit. :evil:

That is so funny! :D Likewise this cute animation in Undercover/Yushi Cops escaped me until now.

Apparently it's worth $80k if picked up. :shock: Just had a quick look; they sure took care of it in the porting process to the SFC as well! By the time the port was done, they had produced more of the previously ostensibly quite rare recording, only worth $1000 in that version :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:07 pm 

Image sprite-rip ver :mrgreen: (thanks to Spriter's Resource for the frames)

I could swear the Metal Slug grunts bust out NGPCs when you Game Over in MS4, but that's the only similar self-reference I can recall from Nazca's Neo years. (assuming the MS4 animations were unused stuff from prior to SNK's bankruptcy)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45