The Official Cool PCB You Just Got Thread!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BIL

Re: The Official Cool PCB You Just Got Thread!

Post by BIL »

emphatic wrote:
BIL wrote:Aw nice :o That one and Dolphin Blue are my two biggest bucket list R2RKMFs.
Dolphin Blue is awful. Slowdowns everywhere.
FML :O
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

CIT wrote:Always wrote it off as a mere Metal Slug rip-off, but I've been assured it very much brings unique qualities to the table and is legit in its own right. First visual impression is impressive for sure!
It's absolutely a lot more than a Metal Slug rip-off. It takes the best aspects of MS, but adds stuff of its own as well. It's a brilliant game with very few flaws.
Anybody know about the versions? This one says Ver. 1.1. Game seems poorly documented online, both in terms of tech and game strats.
I've only played the PGM cartridge version, so I'd be interested in knowing if they fixed a pretty major scoring glitch the game has. There's an item you can only pick up by finding another secret item, but if you don't have that, you can just stand on top of it and your score will keep going up as long as you're touching it.

It's really too bad, because unlike Metal Slug, the game has a real scoring system, but that bug just breaks it completely.

I can't find a video of anyone doing the bug, but it's the item picked up at 4:36 (looks kinda like a hot air balloon) in this *sigh* longplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FojNKSZWX4U&t=276
CIT

Post by CIT »

Cool, thanks for the heads up! Do you know of a strategy guide anywhere? The secrets seem to get rather elaborate.
BIL wrote:
emphatic wrote:Dolphin Blue is awful. Slowdowns everywhere.
FML :O
Metal Slug 2 has slowdowns everywhere and it's still fantastic. :wink:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

No, like you said there's a massive lack of solid documentation on Demon Front and its mechanics. :( I didn't understand how to properly utilize the familiar until I saw FunkDoc's commentated playthrough on Twitch... I hope it's still up there somewhere.

Some of the later stages are basically impossible without this knowledge.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

CIT wrote:Metal Slug 2 has slowdowns everywhere and it's still fantastic. :wink:
True. Dolpin Blue is pretty meh, gameplay wise though. I really tried to like it, but... Metal Slug 2 is fantastic.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Got myself a tiny Rygar PCB

BIL

Post by BIL »

Cute! Image Image Essential game too ofc!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Social Distance Rygar?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

What is that? Rygar for ants?
My lord, I have come for you.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Got a few new PCBs:

Drift Out '94 (Visco)

Backfire! (Data East)

Yep, I'm a big fan of 2D isometric rally games. ;)

Knuckle Bash (Toaplan) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BIL

Post by BIL »

Between the motorsports and the buffness, probably the manliest post this thread has seen. :mrgreen:

Interesting, I'd not heard of Backfire - at a glance, the name made me recall their belt-view driving STG, Breakthru.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I realize that this is like, a year late, but Dolphin Blue's pretty fantastic. The Dolphin meter giving you an invulnerable dash attack or even just an extra midair hop to evade at low meter is pretty nifty. The lack of autofire means it's mashy like Metal Slug is though.
CIT

Post by CIT »

BIL wrote:Interesting, I'd not heard of Backfire - at a glance, the name made me recall their belt-view driving STG, Breakthru.
Incidentally, not to be confused with Tecmo's Back Fire! :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn8MF9jtjNc
CIT

Post by CIT »

More isometric rallying fun:

BIL

Post by BIL »

You've become our resident connoisseur! Interesting to see a European-developed coinop example of the genre.
CIT

Post by CIT »

It’s not so often you see European developed coin-ops, period. :D

Gaelco’s original World Rally was actually the one that established the subgenre, the other games all came later.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I got a Gaelco board myself, Alligator Hunt, but it has a video glitch that people have speculated is due to the suicide battery. I've done everything I can do to revive it following a bunch of guides, though, and absolutely nothing helps :(
Pretty interesting developer either way. I guess they are most notable for Thunder Hoop 2?
CIT

Post by CIT »

Ken-Go is probably one of the most unique R2RKMFs I've played, it's forcing me to unlearn a lot of habits from other action sidescrollers. :shock:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Niiice, always loved what I've seen of that one. Image Also one of the Most Evil Intros Triple Crown along with Double Dragon II and Daimakaimura, it was a dangerous time to be an action game waifu Image
Monstermug

Post by Monstermug »

CIT wrote:
Yep, I'm a big fan of 2D isometric rally games.
A very fun genre often brushed aside and confused with sports games. The more better for me as the pcbs cost a fraction of fun they give. Glad someone else agrees too. Ive got the drifts outs, rallys and mvs ones. Not sure if ive missed any more.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The Konami racing jamma pcb of Racin' Force I got a while back, what would I need to be able to play it properly with an arcade steeringwheel, 2-speed stick shifter & a gas & brake pedal setup? Where can I find all the proper arcade controls to play Racin' Force from the get-go? The Racin' Force instruction manual mentions that using Happ Controls arcade parts were used in the actual Racin' Force cabs in both sit-down and upright cab configurations back in the day.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I was curious about this and did a bit of digging, check this out:

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/drivin ... 50-2838-00

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/drivin ... 50-8110-00

The first one specifically mentions it's compatible with Konami's Racing Force. The second one doesn't, but I imagine the controls were likely the same? I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of games with High / Low speeds changed it to the last input it detected (instead of needing the shifter to lock into place and remain at the High / Low position).

According to the manual ( https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-v ... pright.pdf ), the accelerator should use a potentiometer style input, whereas the brake is simply detected as On / Off. Not sure how that affects what kind of pedal you use, but maybe contact SuzoHapp and see if this one would work?

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/drivin ... 50-2978-00

They could probably direct you to what you need if you contact customer support.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Yes, the Racin' Force 2-speed shifter was locked to either up (Low) or down (High) with an audible click to denote when you did shift during a heated racing course. It was basically a 3rd-person viewpoint of LeMans GT based arcade racing game that pitted you against some unflinching AI cars if you didn't play up to an 8-player linked-up session of Racin' Force at the arcades. I noticed this ebay auction for a used Happ Controls arcade steering wheel + gas pedal setup but no 2-speed shifter or brake pedal: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304909708462?h ... R-KCsdGPYg This might do the trick with at least two requirements met and two more to go. Hmmm...

Noticed another eBay auction with the supposed right arcade steering wheel with 2-speed shifter & gas + brake pedals combo deal for a reasonable price (the steering wheel supports haptic feedback & needs the Happ Controls feedback wheel pcb to work properly): https://www.ebay.com/itm/304909708462?h ... R-KCsdGPYg

Of course, the Racin' Force pcb has the arcade wheel and 2-speed shifter directly connected to the pcb itself via multi-pin wire harness along with direct input coming from the gas & brake pedal setup (again via multi-pin wire harness) after looking at the instruction manual a little bit closely. Yeah, it's definitely hard to try to source the correct arcade racing components used to play those mid-1990s arcade racing pcbs nowadays. Should be a fun rainy day project indeed. Thanks for your help, BareKnuckleRoo.

Here's an arcade gas & brake pedal combo that has pots already installed (not sure if they are 5K pots or not) -- it'd need to be cleaned up and re-greased to work properly for sure: https://www.ebay.com/itm/385502474493?h ... R_ShttSPYg

What was fascinating about the sit-down Racin' Force cabs, there were a grand total of four speakers (two by the player's head built-in into the racing seat fixture and two facing in front of the player within the racing control panel) for some serious music and sound effects being pumped out during a serious racing session. How cool is that?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~