Expend4bles

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
xxx1993

Expend4bles

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhlaBO-SwVE

This is it... The movie I've been looking forward to all this time.
drauch

Re: Expend4bles

Post by drauch »

Trailer is iffy imo, but it's a trailer, and they usually blow nowadays.

Some really questionable casting. Three sucked for two reasons: 1.) literally bloodless, 2.) all these non-action heroes. Stallone regretted the PG-13 and the casting, and in his words was trying to get a new audience to watch, so I don't know why after that he's got fuckin' Megan Fox and 50 Cent and a bunch of other people I don't know about. Uwais and Jaa are welcome additions, but these other clowns I don't get. Even Andy Garcia -- he's not an action star. I get some of these dudes are way old or don't want to do it, but I guarantee someone like Cynthia Rothrock, Don the Dragon, Billy Blanks, Michael Dudikoff, blah blah would eat up the chance to be in this.

The director has done nothing of substance, and the only movie I've seen of his is a terrible Hallmark network cheapo. BUT, the dude is at least a stuntman, so that's promising. I don't expect much; I'm pessimistic, but I think for good reason: where's all the stars?

1 and 2 have their problems (weird old bro lame dialogue, nu metal, throwbacks ad nauseum) but the key here is that the action is good, sometimes even great. That airport shootout in 2 is amazing, with Willis and Arnold shooting shotguns out of that little shit car and Norris using a human shield. Give me more of that and all will be forgiven.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
cfx

Post by cfx »

drauch wrote:Megan Fox and 50 Cent
Those two and damn rap in the trailer make this an instant NO for me.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Just as long as it’s rated R and it’s action packed, I look forward to it.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

Let's be honest, 50 Cent is only here because DMX passed on.

Tony Jaa and Iko Uwais makes this a must-watch despite my total antipathy toward the franchise to this point. Rap on the soundtrack means things are moving in the right direction.

Andy Garcia though? Really? I get that the top-tier badasses like Michael Biehn and Chow Yun-fat are above this sort of nonsense, but you think they could at least get Bill Duke or Carl Weathers or fucking Frank Grillo or SOMEONE who's actually fucking cool.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
NYN

really? four? 4? FOUR?!

Post by NYN »

Granny Goodness! I actually showed some kind of twisted interest by opening this topic. Huh?

Faintly I remember the 0riginator and The Sequel, the former received as "ironic" (nudge-wink), and the latter as offensive to claim to be a film or any movie. Oy gevalt! Left out the Sequel Sequel, which is hinted here, for the win! And now this! Did they cast Freddy Flintstone, too? AKA The Bad Bedrock Bastard? ... Darkseid is.
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Air Master Burst wrote:Let's be honest, 50 Cent is only here because DMX passed on.

Tony Jaa and Iko Uwais makes this a must-watch despite my total antipathy toward the franchise to this point. Rap on the soundtrack means things are moving in the right direction.

Andy Garcia though? Really? I get that the top-tier badasses like Michael Biehn and Chow Yun-fat are above this sort of nonsense, but you think they could at least get Bill Duke or Carl Weathers or fucking Frank Grillo or SOMEONE who's actually fucking cool.
50 Cent has done some action movies. He was already in the Escape Plan movies. Andy Garcia has also done at least some action. He was in Ridley Scott's Black Rain.
Air Master Burst

xxx1993 wrote: 50 Cent has done some action movies. He was already in the Escape Plan movies. Andy Garcia has also done at least some action. He was in Ridley Scott's Black Rain.
Sure, and maybe next we can get Kevin Costner and Christian Slater and Jude Law and all those other lameass 90s dudes who sucked at action. For fuck's sake, Nic Cage will be in LITERALLY ANYTHING and has an actual action pedigree, but we get Godfather 3? And the less said about Megan Fox the better. I agree with the rest about the sus casting in this thing.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Eh, as we were saying in the movies thread, I'll follow Jaa and Iwais into hell, so a movie with both, I'll have to at least put on as background noise. I've no illusions the directors/other behind-camera personnel might snuff out their world-beating talents, though. That's just how it goes. 3;

Not everything can be an aerodynamic diamond like Inferno Cop!

xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Air Master Burst wrote:
xxx1993 wrote: 50 Cent has done some action movies. He was already in the Escape Plan movies. Andy Garcia has also done at least some action. He was in Ridley Scott's Black Rain.
Sure, and maybe next we can get Kevin Costner and Christian Slater and Jude Law and all those other lameass 90s dudes who sucked at action. For fuck's sake, Nic Cage will be in LITERALLY ANYTHING and has an actual action pedigree, but we get Godfather 3? And the less said about Megan Fox the better. I agree with the rest about the sus casting in this thing.
I hope you people still don't hate Megan Fox because of the Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies. Because honestly, she has done some pretty solid action movies before. Rogue, where she takes on a terrorist organization and a lion, is proof.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I just hold a grudge for her because she shouldn't be in this movie, lol. Personally, I think she has zero screen presence, and she's the kind of 'hot' I think of when I remember being a 12 y/o boy. Cynthia Rothrock would be a much more welcome and appropriate addition; or, hell, Cynthia Khan.
Air Master Burst

xxx1993 wrote: I hope you people still don't hate Megan Fox because of the Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies. Because honestly, she has done some pretty solid action movies before. Rogue, where she takes on a terrorist organization and a lion, is proof.
I've never hated Megan Fox, but what the fuck is she doing in this old-mans-from-my-childhood-shooting-a-bunch-of-shit-four-last-times (and counting) movie? If the only criteria left is "was in an action movie at some point" then it's basically just fucking Red and why are we even bothering? I get that Sigourney Weaver and Angelina Jolie probably can't be bothered, but it's not like Milla Jovovich or Kate Beckinsale are doing much these days. ETA: And if they needed someone young, Samara Weaving is both younger and much more of an action badass.

Look, I'm gonna see this turkey in the theater in the hopes that Tony Jaa and Iko Uwais aren't let down by poor direction; but let's not pretend this is anything more than a craven exercise in empty capitalism.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I've just been waiting for this franchise to come back and fix their wrongdoings after the third movie heavily split opinions with its PG-13 rating... And besides, there has been at least one female protagonist in each of the Expendables movies. In the first, it was Sandra, played by Giselle Itie. In the second, it was Maggie, played by Yu Nan. In the third, it was Luna, played by Ronda Rousey. Now for this one, it's Gina, played by the aforementioned Megan Fox.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

The first Expendables had promise but was not that great, I really like the second movie, the third one was forgettable, and I probably won't watch this one.
BIL

Post by BIL »

TBH, women fighters competing with males in an even semi-realistic setting is a bit of a joke anyway. I dig 'em in science fiction/fantasy, where there's biological augmentation, and all other manner of artificial/alien/supernatural demi-humanity. That can even be interesting from a dramatic standpoint. And/or HAWT LMAO Image Image

But in even comicbook meatspace, it's a polite indulgence, at best. Guns help here, as they do IRL, although guns require ammo, which is heavy in the quantities typically expended during these films, but whatever it's cool.

Not talking about random zako thugs, that's ok in moderation. IRL tubby mall-cops and office workers have to watch themselves around tough women, too. 150lbs of blubber isn't gonna help your chopped neck, you're not a tiger or other big cat!

So while she isn't fit to shine Cynthia Rothrock's sparring boots, filmography or training-wise, I don't mind Fox or whoever being here. If a woman starts going 1:1 hand-to-hand with a machine like Uwais or that fuckin werewolf he fought at the end of Raid 2, I'm gonna be politely suspending disbelief anyway.

I heard that latter dude is a maths teacher or something IRL, lmao. :shock: edit: Oh right, English teacher. Still, makes sense! Systemic discipline aids in martial arts and mathematics and foreign languages alike. Nice hard technical substrate to build upon.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

The 2nd one nailed it in my opinion, the perfect mix of self-aware tongue in cheek humour and action flick "plot". 3rd one still had enough of that, but watered it down a bit with bringing in essentially kids - though still had a sense of humour about it.

WTF is this one though? Massively trimmed down core cast, no proper action hero guest stars....glad they're still got Dolph in there at least. Can't even get Arnie back? Stallone taking a back seat? Has all the hallmarks of a straight to DVD Statham affair TBH.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Can't even get Arnie back? Stallone taking a back seat? Has all the hallmarks of a straight to DVD Statham affair TBH.
Actually, the real reason why Arnold signed up for the previous three was because of a favor from Stallone. He's not in this one either because he must have gotten tired of it. He said, quote-on-quote, "It's done and I'm not in it." In regards to his conversation with Sly he added, "I said, 'You know what, we have done this and I'm out of it.' And he really understood." Also, I can justify this being Stallone's last movie for the franchise, because sadly, he's getting old. Statham is much more active and only in his 50s.
Air Master Burst

TransatlanticFoe wrote: WTF is this one though? Massively trimmed down core cast, no proper action hero guest stars....glad they're still got Dolph in there at least. Can't even get Arnie back? Stallone taking a back seat? Has all the hallmarks of a straight to DVD Statham affair TBH.
I guess it depends on your definition of "proper action hero" but I'm struggling to think of one that doesn't at least include Tony Jaa and Iko Uwais. The rest of the lineup does look kinda sad, though, which is why I'm hoping those two get to do most of the heavy lifting.
BIL wrote:But in even comicbook meatspace, it's a polite indulgence, at best. Guns help here, as they do IRL, although guns require ammo, which is heavy in the quantities typically expended during these films, but whatever it's cool.
See, and sometimes this actually CAN work, but they rarely cast women large enough to pull it off (Grace Jones in Conan, Brigitte Nielsen in Red Sonja). Instead it's always some tiny thing that maybe weighs 115 soaking wet. No disrespect to Ronda Rousey, but she's only 5'6 and 135. Someone like Awesome Kong could probably pull it off, though.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

All I know is that Iko Uwais is playing the main villain, so his fight with Statham should be a big crowd pleaser, at least. I've been waiting to see them go toe-to-toe with each other after seeing on-set photos of their climactic duel. Now, the only disappointment I have for this movie is that Brian Tyler isn't doing the music this time due to his commitments with the Super Mario Bros. movie and Fast X.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Uwais vs Statham should be good (obligatory "if the Director/DoP/Producers don't shit the bed"). The latter can put in some decent work, and he has a believably impact-resistant dome. Perfect foil for an athlete like Uwais to play off of. I'm more interested in Jaa vs Uwais though, does it sound like that's on the cards? My only wish is that this was happening a decade earlier, but then again, this is movies, where experience helps more than age hurts.
Air Master Burst wrote:
BIL wrote:But in even comicbook meatspace, it's a polite indulgence, at best. Guns help here, as they do IRL, although guns require ammo, which is heavy in the quantities typically expended during these films, but whatever it's cool.
See, and sometimes this actually CAN work, but they rarely cast women large enough to pull it off (Grace Jones in Conan, Brigitte Nielsen in Red Sonja). Instead it's always some tiny thing that maybe weighs 115 soaking wet. No disrespect to Ronda Rousey, but she's only 5'6 and 135. Someone like Awesome Kong could probably pull it off, though.
True! Casting helps a lot. Get them Jamaican and Scandinavian broads on the heavy plates for 6mos, then put some ammo belts on 'em. :cool:

Scripting and direction, too, which is really where the Buffy set have fallen down hard. The Last Jedi's disappearing throne room dagger, Game of Thrones s8 giving Jaimie and Brienne Free Play for the Wight onslaught, Rings of Power's jailhouse fiasco... the bookending examples involve willowy actresses, sure (ironically enough playing superhuman characters, with abilities far beyond GOT's Brienne), but that's not why they've become infamous punching bags for an army of YT beardbros. It's because they're contemptibly unbelievable even in their fantasy contexts (in the first's case, requiring a videogamey "despawn_knife" cheat from the filmmakers).

Like alright, "this gazillion year-old Battle Elf is so fuckin dangerous, even unarmed and manacled, that four armoured guards are no guarantee against escape." Fair enough. But if your show has three of those guards flee into a previously-locked cell - again, as if someone's typing "IDKFA" and "ANUBIS" in the ZDOOM console - with the fourth throwing a limp unarmed blow before he, too, obligingly runs into the box - all I'm being shown is that you think I'm an asshole who will believe any old shite he's told. That's an unsubscribe from me, Jeffy Boy! Well tbh no, that grocery service is bangin. Like fuck am I watching your shitty show though!

I could fix that scene, with what I've been told of the character, and without resorting to the character-breaking, story-upending convenience of slain guards. Anyone who appreciates good action cinematography and its underlying comic-booky drama could. But the controlled fury of that ~8second exchange would demand quite a bit of craft, on-camera and off, as a manacled prisoner singlehandedly incapacitating four armed guards should. Not like Amazon is hurting for cash, just talent, apparently.

I'd even have her instruct the weenie non-fighter bloke to drag the artfully brained n' lamed guards into the cell, after, because such sweaty tedious donkey-work is beneath a lady. The "GRRL POWER / EQUAL PAY 4 SHITE FOOTIE NOW" set would think I'm on their side, when the reality is I'm leaning back and blasting a 24-pack piss all over them, back pressure of legend. :cool:

Shock Troopers has it right. Big Mama thumps fuckers square, lights out homie! Milky just shoots the cunts, don't wanna break a nail!

All this tying back to the thread's raison d'etre; if they put an effort in, with stars like that, this should be quite good! But remember the examples of Sparta and Kipling! "IF" is a word that famously punches way, wayyy the hell above its featherlight weight! 3:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Now, if we're being honest, I really do hope this is the last Expendables movie, just as long as it's R-rated. Because after the third one failed and we waited so long for this one... I just hope it ends on a high note.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28222252/

Come on, you don't know if The Expendables 5 is happening... Expend4bles isn't even out yet.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

drauch wrote:I just hold a grudge for her because she shouldn't be in this movie, lol. Personally, I think she has zero screen presence, and she's the kind of 'hot' I think of when I remember being a 12 y/o boy. Cynthia Rothrock would be a much more welcome and appropriate addition; or, hell, Cynthia Khan.
Goodness... maybe even invite the grand dame of martial arts, Michelle Yeoh, and a couple of dependable ass kickers like Moon Lee, Joyce Godenzi, and YUkari Oshima?!

n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://action-flix.com/2023/07/21/old- ... pend4bles/

We got a new poster for the movie. For some reason Stallone is now second billing instead of the "and starring" credit he previously had even though we already know he has a smaller role this time around. But Statham is still the lead.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Is our demand still frothing, my shmup bros?
BIL

Post by BIL »

Article wrote:A new video... features a new track from the Red Hot Chili Peppers called Can’t Stop.
What the blood claat (■`w´■) My mans that shit is jurassic, which makes me sad, because RHCP were already dinosaurs by pop standards, and that shit feels like yesterday 3; Oh wells. Holy fuck imagine how Stallone and Lundgren feel :shock:

All good fun. Iwais in a Big Bad role will always have my moderately frothy/demanding interest - all in the directing/production etc though innit. Might be SHITE M8! Still, will always have TEH RAID, and even the inferiorly airy but still formidably bruising TEH RAID 2 BERANDAL, where his rage meter ASPLODE, as he smashes a backstabbing cop's elbow joint to shit, then cooks the motherfucker's head on the grill! Yeeowch! BUTA-SAN be screamin' and fighting to escape all "PLS GOD NAW" but Iwais is going "NAH MAHFUCKA HOLD STILL BITCH" He will not have his butty less than well-done, knowing the ever-present threat of trichinosis! Even he is astounded at the culinary vengeance his rage has unleashed, ING-san! :shock:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Don't the Expendables already feel like dinosaurs? Either way, I'm still holding out for this movie. You guys already enjoyed Rambo, I'm sure you'll like this one too.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Mmmmmmm, we'll see. Rambo had Rambo, not Randos. Statham getting first-billing is perplexing, but also makes me think Stallone is gonna be taking a huge back seat. Which, I get -- he's old as fuck, but forgetting who this movie should be focusing on again. I like Statham, he just makes shite movies most of the time. Even if they put Fox in first billing I'd still probably go see it first day, 'cause whatever, I ain't got anything else to look forward to. The age-old mantra: WE'LL SEE.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Right now, I just hope the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strikes won't throw a wrench into this movie's release, because I hear people are saying marketing isn't allowed from the strike, and I'm also hearing rumors that Warner Bros. might delay Dune: Part Two to 2024 because of that. And now, Sony's pushed the Gran Turismo movie from August 11th to the 25th and Kraven the Hunter got pushed to 2024.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

https://screen-connections.com/2023/08/ ... rmageddon/

Expend4bles is officially rated R… We’ve won.