Movies you've just watched

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
cj iwakura

Re: Movies you've just watched

Post by cj iwakura »

It's funny in hindsight, but having watched Furious 7 recently, I think the series thrived on the chemistry between Diesel and Walker, and it isn't the same without him. Diesel is not nearly charismatic enough to carry the franchise on his own. I haven't seen X yet, but 8-9 were varying degrees of bad to awful, so I'm not too optimistic for 10, apart from hearing that Momoa carries it on his back.

(Just make more Tokyo Drift films, cowards, ideally one with Kang and Gadot a la Hobbs & Shaw.)
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Batman - 1989 | 4/5

I haven't watched this since some time in the 1990's. Watched it with my kids, 18 (girl), 16 (girl) and 11 years old (boy), and amazingly, they didn't walk out. The 18 year old even laughed at some of Jack Nicholson's gags. The 11 year old seemed to like it the most of the three, I think it's partly because he knows that this particular Batman will appear in the new Flash movie, that my son for some reason is excited about. It's far from Burton's best efforts, but
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Sisu (2023) 7/10

Finnish action film set at the tail end of WWII. The protagonist, Aatami Korpi, is a former Finnish army commander feared for his merciless slaughter of Russian soldiers on the Eastern front. Korpi has become a gold prospector in the Lapland. The film opens with the discovery of a large vein of gold which he must now transport through the remnants of the Nazi army who are still roaming the Lapland, looking for some opportunity other than returning home to join their comrades in defeat. Korpi encounters said Nazis and the movie is essentially a battle to the end between him and the German invaders.

This is basically a great, super violent action ride and very fun. The only thing holding it back is a silly attempt at creating a slightly deeper story with a message that feels really forced and out of place. It would have been stronger if they just stuck to the violence. But all in all, recommended for some quick fun evisceration.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Saw Spiral 5/10
Chris Rock's acting sucks. Every cop film clichée ever. Poor pacing. Not even particularly bloody or inventive traps to make up for everything, but a couple of very nicely done gore effects.

Operation Wildgeese 7.5/10
Advertised by my film mate as one of the best merc films ever, and it did deliver on all fronts except bullet holes. Not a single bullet hole in the entire film, WTF.

Dirty Harry 4 - 8/10
Great shit + a great many bullet holes. I don't need to point out here that Clint Eastwood is the coolest motherfucker ever. Bordered on exploitation territory a couple of times, it has quite a bit of rapey sleazy behaviour in it plus plenty of Callahan punching dirtbags. Need to watch the other four films in the serious pronto!

Showdown in Little Tokyo - 7.5/10
Feels quite a bit like Commando: there's tons of dumb one-liners and bullet holes and a rather bare bones plot. Dolph Lundgren looks fucking hot in this film, there's nekid tits every ten minutes or so, and Shredder plays the villain. Wish Brandon Lee would have been given the opportunity to show more of his slick moves.

Legacy of Rage 6.5/10
Typical 80s HK crime drama/ action mixture that has too much rather boring drama stuff and not much action until the finale, which is quite decent. Brandon Lee is, at best, adequate as an actor, but he's got good screen presence.

Hereditary 9/10
Toni Collette is awesome, hadn't known her before seeing Hereditary, now I watch everything with her in it, no matter how stupid it looks. Film has so many interesting themes in it; it's always a good sign when you talk about a film for longer than the film itself lasted. Not a fan of the ableism in Ari Aster's films, though. Really looking forward to seeing Beau is afraid.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote: Great shit + a great many bullet holes. I don't need to point out here that Clint Eastwood is the coolest motherfucker ever. Bordered on exploitation territory a couple of times, it has quite a bit of rapey sleazy behaviour in it plus plenty of Callahan punching dirtbags. Need to watch the other four films in the serious pronto!
Honestly none of them are "good" movies, but for your stated purposes you'll want to stick to 1 and 4. 2 is hilariously open about overcorrecting from the criticism of vigilantism in the first film, and a young Jim Carrey is absolutely fantastic in the opening scene of the otherwise coma-inducing 5.

Then again, Clint's tough-guy act rings hollower the older I get; although at least he's not a total weenie like John Wayne.
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
ChurchOfSolipsism

Air Master Burst wrote: Honestly none of them are "good" movies, but for your stated purposes you'll want to stick to 1 and 4. 2 is hilariously open about overcorrecting from the criticism of vigilantism in the first film, and a young Jim Carrey is absolutely fantastic in the opening scene of the otherwise coma-inducing 5.

Then again, Clint's tough-guy act rings hollower the older I get; although at least he's not a total weenie like John Wayne.
Cheers for the recommendations - honestly I don't actually know much about Eastwood's off-screen persona (apart from the fact that he seems to be staunch republican), does he try to project the tough guy image in real life?
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Air Master Burst

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote: does he try to project the tough guy image in real life?
I meant his on-screen persona; as an actual person he mostly seems to stick to making silly movies. Still a bit surprised they trotted him out to yell at that empty chair at the RNC a few years back, but I'm guessing it's been a while since they actually watched a Clint movie that didn't involve him shooting or punching all his problems away.

Clint seems to be a pretty typical old white american dude in his politics. He's a registered libertarian, so kind of a doofus for sure, but at least he doesn't loudly and publicly cosplay all the worst aspects of his popular characters while being a draft-dodging coward like Wayne.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Air Master Burst wrote:2 is hilariously open about overcorrecting from the criticism of vigilantism in the first film
I always had the impression it was chastising the original's more unhinged proponents and detractors alike. Dirty Harry is a jaded detective who shoots armed robbers if they don't drop their weapons when ordered to, and later resorted to untrammelled violence to apprehend a serial killer. Magnum Force is a death squad who assumed that, because Harry went off the rails attempting to locate a girl buried alive - a last resort portrayed in the bleakest terms possible - he'd be down with rolling up at random undesirables' homes and laying bloody machinegunning waste to them and anyone in the vicinity.

Maybe they read Pauline Kael's admirably dishonest review of the first film, which strawmanned a Renegade Lawman genre flick as an earnest proposal to murder criminals on sight. Or maybe the poor bastards were just average cops from Kingston or San Salvador who heard there was a like-minded dude they could work with in scenic SF, who didn't even care if you were black or gay as long as you could shoot straight, the poor misguided pricks. :o

Anyway... overlong, overly-sleazy (to the scriptwriter's regret), but I don't mind listing it with the original - a very good genre flick - and Sudden Impact - a competent epigone. DH2 and DH4 aren't nearly as smoothly-executed (understandably with Siegel's absence) but they have some interesting perspectives on vigilantism, imo. Big Kurosawa film nerd points for the Stray Dog reference.

DH3/The Enforcer is alright fun, a step down into outright cartoon, but it's mostly an excuse to have Harry shoot Big Bad with a rocket launcher. DH5/The Dead pool is a mess, mostly an excuse to have Harry shoot Big Bad with a harpoon.

Church, I'd skip Dead Pool and watch Gran Torino instead. As long as you're okay with him not actually shooting anybody, it's a way better signoff for Clint's Harry persona. He fixes his neighbours' broken washing machine at one point, shit's rad. :shock:

As a series, the Dirty Harry movies' best feature is seeing Albert J. Popwell doggedly respawn as a new character class in the first four of them. HE GOTS TO KNOW Image No Albert is yet another reason Dead Pool chokes balls, obviously.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

BIL wrote:Church, I'd skip Dead Pool and watch Gran Torino instead. As long as you're okay with him not actually shooting anybody, it's a way better signoff for Clint's Harry persona. He fixes his neighbours' broken washing machine at one point, shit's rad. :shock:
Forget Gran Torino, why not watch The Rookie or Blood Work instead?
BIL

Post by BIL »

xxx1993 wrote:
BIL wrote:Church, I'd skip Dead Pool and watch Gran Torino instead. As long as you're okay with him not actually shooting anybody, it's a way better signoff for Clint's Harry persona. He fixes his neighbours' broken washing machine at one point, shit's rad. :shock:
Haven't seen those, to my shame. :wink: I've got a bit of a blind spot for 21st century Clint, outside of Million Dollar Baby and Torino. His 60s+70s stuff is fuckin baller though, especially his other Don Siegel collabs! Like The Beguiled, where he gets all the pussy at that girls' boarding school. Image (but sometimes, pussy gets you! :shock:)

AW NAW! WATCH OUT HARRY :O

I mean "In The Line Of Fire" is pretty decent Old Man Clint, too. I just dig Torino for completely eschewing all notions of the law enforcement thriller. It's basically the Dirty Harry 6 Clint jokingly pitched, with Harry retired and spending his time on the porch and fly-fishing. Very honest in that sense. Good chemistry with his young co-stars too. It's no joke as far as its content goes, either. Right back to the punishing sorrows and frail hopes of the old frontier.

I will have to check out the two you mentioned, Blood Work sounds good. :o
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

The Rookie almost feels very much like a Dirty Harry, but since it’s a buddy cop movie, it almost feels a bit like Lethal Weapon.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Just watched Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse.
ChurchOfSolipsism

xxx1993 wrote:
Nah Gran Torino was great! Still, I'm planning to watch all the Eastwood classics some day. I haven't even seen Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River... but I've w atched the Fistful of Dollars trilogy - one and two were very good, Good Bad and Ugly was amazing and is still is my favourite western.
BIL

Post by BIL »

^^^ :cool:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
xxx1993 wrote:
Nah Gran Torino was great! Still, I'm planning to watch all the Eastwood classics some day. I haven't even seen Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River... but I've w atched the Fistful of Dollars trilogy - one and two were very good, Good Bad and Ugly was amazing and is still is my favourite western.
The Rookie and Blood Work aren’t too shabby either. In fact, both movies could have worked as Dirty Harry 6 if The Dead Pool didn’t feel like a proper sendoff for Dirty Harry.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Anyway, as for Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse…
Spoiler
Talk about a double whammy. This is the second movie I saw this year that ended with a cliffhanger, following Fast X.
Air Master Burst

If you like Dirty Harry Clint, definitely watch The Gauntlet.

Best Clint movie is either Every Which Way But Loose or Any Which Way You Can.

Kelly's Heroes is pretty fun too.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

5-25-77 - it's been a long time since an ending has ruined the entire movie for me. I really enjoyed how the practical effects were incorporated into the scenes showing you the perspective of how it's shot but then panning to the side to show the audience the ingenuity of how it's achieved. having grown up with my home park being six flags great america/mariott's great america in gurnee it was nostalgic seeing it referenced with some of the flat rides in the backdrop. but yeah, based on the last quarter of the movie it's something I'll never watch again or recommend.

john francis daley was great however, and I've only seen him in "waiting..." and freaks and geeks prior to this one.

production-wise it was the one that was filmed in the early 2000s and had a production cycle of 18 years
a creature... half solid half gas
BIL

Post by BIL »

SISU (2022) Bravura ultraviolencer / grueling survivalist revengeoner. Finland, 1945, the Nazis' scorched-earth retreat. A great many mid 20th-century Germans are rehabilitated by an archetypal Man With No Name who they Really Shouldn't Have Fucked With. He has a name, but it's secondary to... THE LEGEND

Cracking haircut!

Loved the first viewing, but had nagging thoughts it got a little overly fanciful, towards the end... I prefer these affairs a bit lower-concept, ala harrowing DIY Death Wish Blue Ruin. But on reflection, this being the kind of nonstop hellcoaster I'll immediately rewatch, it works fine within the film's quasi-mythological aesthetic; a dangerous patriot brutalised into modern-day folk saviour / devil. Accordingly, I liked the garnishings of blind luck throughout. For the most part, it's good practical straight-for-the-jugular stuff.
Spoiler
Loved the solving of homie's numbers problem with that troop transport broadside, that was classic. Thought the GRRL power shot afterward was daft, diluting some hard-earned karma - just that scream of terror would've done nicely - but I liked the subplot overall.
A consistently beautiful picture, many gorgeous landscape shots. Also slightly more contemplative than its premise might let on, the interludes' homo homini lupine musings recalling personal favourite Valhalla Rising; albeit given a stern kick up the backside, it's not that doom-sludgy. Good stuff.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Okay, Sisu was fucking awesome. Imagine the Rambo movies, take him into World War II and have him fight the Nazis. That's what you get. The entire climax and the final battle on the plane was really epic, including the way the villain gets taken out.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Spiderman Spiderverse 2023 6/10

Pretty much the entire 6 stars here is for the animation, which was consistently brilliant from the beginning to the end. The story really lacked bite or punch and felt convoluted and stilted. They also managed to pile on a whole lotta topical messages that felt forced and heavy handed. I'm still not sure if this is because it's supposed to be a kids movie and they dumbed down the messages to be easier to understand, or if it's just bad writing and kids are smarter than they are giving them credit for. I guess maybe it's a little of both (some kids are smarter than others)?

I guess I would recommend it for die hard animation fans because there's enough there to be interesting conceptually, but other than that it's a skip or wait until it's on Disney plus
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Just got a new LG C1 OLED (thanks shmupfarm!) and decided to demo it with Conan the Barbarian, which I watched all the time when I was younger but haven't seen in a few years. Gotdamn. Will there ever be a fantasy movie to match this? 40 years on and nothing even comes close, except maybe Excalibur.

I can pretty much talk for hours about what I love about Conan, haha. The set design, the atmosphere, the brevity which is so sorely lacking from "world-building" fantasy efforts today, the Western-like cinematography, the surprisingly poetic script, and one of the greatest cinematic scores ever written...

But what I love the most probably, and stands out now especially given the benighted times we live in (rhymes with "yoke") is the staunch, unapologetic anti-modernity of it all. John Milius, what a legend. Bury me with a copy of this movie hahahaha
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
BIL

Post by BIL »

I watched it wayyy late in the day for a member of this community, given the sheer Blade Runner / Aliens debt owed it by so much Japanese pop culture. Maybe like six years ago? What struck me was, while Ahnuld's not a great actor (I cracked up at the trademark yelping noises he makes during times of great struggle, like fighting that first gladiator - presaging Predator's "DO IT NAOOOO"), he is one hell of a movie star when properly-deployed. Those long, wordless shots of the great man gazing out over the vast, dispassionate wilderness are legitimately moving. And the supporting cast are consistently great.

"Ancient, and wicked! Have you ever seen this before?" "Let's waste no time!" Could be the intermission text in any number of great arcade games. :cool:

And hell yeah, that score! Knew to expect a good time, but came away quite impressed.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

BIL wrote:I watched it wayyy late in the day for a member of this community
Wow, amazing you saw it so late. Given your tastes (as professed here) I can only imagine how mind-blowing it must have been.

I think Arnold was really perfect for Conan, at least as Milius/Stone wrote him, because he's supposed to be unused to civilization and somewhat naive/childlike. I love all those early scenes with him and Subotai in the cities.

An absolute highlight of my life that I hope I re-live in the moments before death, was seeing my friend perform a one-man show version of Conan the Barbarian at the Moon and Sixpence pub in Portland, about 10 years ago. He recited those Arnold grunts you mentioned with perfect accuracy too. :D
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
BIL

Post by BIL »

blackoak wrote:I think Arnold was really perfect for Conan, at least as Milius/Stone wrote him, because he's supposed to be unused to civilization and somewhat naive/childlike.
Yes! This is something that really surprised me. I've not read the Howard stories - though I've seen/heard plenty via osmosis - and I only knew the character from his late 80s/early 90s Marvel run, where he's a ruthless operator. Arnold's priceless combination of hulking physicality and unassuming wonder gives the movie a certain innocence, at odds with its pitiless world. Like when he gets his ass handed to him, on that first run at Doom... I got the sense he thought he could succeed on sheer righteous anger and justice alone. What might've seemed bizarrely amateurish in the comics felt more like a lingering belief in karma promptly disabused, with a grimmer Conan eventually getting his mark much later on.

Fidelity aside - I don't mind either way, the film works so well as its own thing - I think it enhances the sense of self-contained adventure, moreso than a bitterer Conan would've.

"He won't cry, so I cry for him." Image
An absolute highlight of my life that I hope I re-live in the moments before death, was seeing my friend perform a one-man show version of Conan the Barbarian at the Moon and Sixpence pub in Portland, about 10 years ago. He recited those Arnold grunts you mentioned with perfect accuracy too. :D
That does sounds amazing :mrgreen:
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I finally saw Transformers: Rise of the Beasts.
Spoiler
G.I. Joe's coming back...
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

They Live

No tomatoes please - this was a first watch. I know, despicable... and I'm gonna have a few more like this coming up. Anyway, back to this gem: being pretty familiar with Carpenter's other famous works, this one does lack a bit of the charm of Big Trouble in Little China, which is probably its closest relative. But that's totally fine. Roddy Piper is clearly no thespian, but who gives a shit? The fight scene between him and Keith David which seemed to go on forever was worth the price of admission. The bonus was the scene was him shoveling gravel at the construction site sans shirt. Geez he was jacked. The cherry on top was the mullet which is top 5 Hollywood mullet material. Maybe not as pretty as Mel Gibson's circa Lethal Weapon, but still formidable. The only thing I fault the production on was his Canadian accent comes through quite a few times (or maybe I just have too many Canadian friends). Didn't even know he was Canadian until I watched this.

Given the content of the film and the over the top 80s vibe, it has aged like a fine wine. Wonder if Carpenter has said anything publicly on the overall messaging, given that the wage gap and consumerism are both substantially more pronounced now than they were 35 years ago. And no spoilers, but the ending - bravo.
RegalSin wrote:New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.
NYN

chewing gum

Post by NYN »

Dude. Eraserhead. When?
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

GaijinPunch wrote:They Live

No tomatoes please - this was a first watch. I know, despicable... and I'm gonna have a few more like this coming up. Anyway, back to this gem: being pretty familiar with Carpenter's other famous works, this one does lack a bit of the charm of Big Trouble in Little China, which is probably its closest relative. But that's totally fine. Roddy Piper is clearly no thespian, but who gives a shit? The fight scene between him and Keith David which seemed to go on forever was worth the price of admission. The bonus was the scene was him shoveling gravel at the construction site sans shirt. Geez he was jacked. The cherry on top was the mullet which is top 5 Hollywood mullet material. Maybe not as pretty as Mel Gibson's circa Lethal Weapon, but still formidable. The only thing I fault the production on was his Canadian accent comes through quite a few times (or maybe I just have too many Canadian friends). Didn't even know he was Canadian until I watched this.

Given the content of the film and the over the top 80s vibe, it has aged like a fine wine. Wonder if Carpenter has said anything publicly on the overall messaging, given that the wage gap and consumerism are both substantially more pronounced now than they were 35 years ago. And no spoilers, but the ending - bravo.
Pretty much exactly how I feel about this film, which as a Carpenter fan, I also came to a bit late. It's mad but I love it. Oh boy that fight scene :lol: .

I seem to recall there were accusations of antisemitism with regards to the theme, which Carpenter rightly dismisses as nonsense. It's about Reagan's America.

My only gripe with Carpenter is that he insisted on writing god awful music for his films which has aged appallingly.
NYN

we sleep

Post by NYN »

SuperPang wrote:My only gripe with Carpenter is that he insisted on writing god awful music for his films which has aged appallingly.
What now? No feels?

Do you mean They Live specifically with that, uh, opinion, or on a whole every single one of them?

If the latter ( :lol: ) put on your dancing shoes, or get ready to get ignored here.
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )